“Woinderful Place, Beautiful People”

Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Calder Grove
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here twice this year and I have been meaning to write a review ever since. My last stay was in March 2013 so shame on me! Stayed once with my husband and was so impressed by the venue that I booked my sister's hen night here - 25 women were not let down! We were appointed beautiful, newly refurbished rooms. The food was fantastic and they went out of their way to allow us to decorate the table with our colour scheme (red of course) and seated us all together at breakfast with a specially reserved table. The hotel drafted in a Zumba teacher and we had a fancy dress zumba workout in one of the suites upstairs - yes we were a spectacle! They even allowed us to host our 'brides vs the pimpernelles' quiz in the suite. All in all it was fantastic and they spared no attention to detail. Having stayed in hotels worldwide I truly cannot fault the dedication of the staff here. All were friendly. All were so helpful. Every single one is a credit to this establishment. But most of all can I give special praise to Jane who was our event organiser - she truly is second to none. Jane was fantastic at liaising with me and keeping me updated about our plans and arrangements a real star and such a calm persona for guests. Rooms were warm, spotlessly clean, modern and bright. The restaurant served good food and the service was impeccable. What more could you look for on a night away from home? I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to even the most discerning traveller. As a former travel writer I've certainly had lots of negative findings I could have reported on but here...none so! It's thumbs up all the way for Cedar Court - wish they had one at every holiday destination!

Room Tip: Newly refurbished rooms are obviously better.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
WakefieldGM, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear AbbyReid
Two visits this year and a great experience on each occasion, thank you indeed for sharing with the wider TA audience.
I do hope that everyone you enjoyed the experience with, thinks about us in the future, as we are a great venue for celebrating, and offer a fantastic experience.

There are newer reviews for Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here (along with everybody else) on a Groupon £59 dinner, bed and breakfast deal. I upgraded prior to going to a superior room for £15 more. The room was lovely, looked newly refurbished and with the comfiest bed ever. Ok, it was a bit small and there were no drawers but for one or two nights was ideal.

We used the pool area which was nice and clean. Luckily there weren't many people using it or it may have been crowded as its only small.

The food was lovely. We did pick some items from the set menu that came with a supplement and added a pudding so with drinks the meal was an extra £40 or so. (I had the black and blue burger which was included and was massive) Breakfast was lovely, no complaints.

Overall the hotel was great, definitely better than a Premier Inn but not quiet a Crowne Plaza.
Id just like to mention the reception staff, especially Sephanie (I think) were great, very professional and helpful and a credit to the hotel.
Would go back if we got a "deal" just for a quick night away and would happily recommend it.

PS - It looks like they do lots of tribute type nights which look great value if you like that kind of thing!

Room Tip: We were in 123 which looked recently refurbished and was very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jacks5
Great feedback, thank you for sharing with the wider TA audience.
We've had some great feedback following the recent Groupon offer, and as always there will be some great offers coming up directly from our web site.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed at the Cedar Court for two nights for the wedding of my son and partner 24/25th October.
I have worked as a photographer at the hotel for 30 years but is the first time i have to stayed.
Rooms were clean and comfortable, and meal on Thursday in restaurant was very nice.
Wedding went to plan and no complaints were received.
Staff were friendly and well dressed. It is not the Ritz but the prices were not Ritz prices either, so overall well pleased.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Donald Michael K
Thank you for sharing your recent experiences of Cedar Court as a guest this time!
The team enjoyed working with you and your family for their celebration of your son’s wedding, and we all hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We arrived at the hotel just after check in time and sorted our room. Got to our room and opened the door to the worst smell of cigarettes. We immediately turned around and approached reception where the member of staff tried to fob my wife off saying 'we're full and theres nothing we can do'. She then continued serving other people. I asked to speak to a manager. I explained the problem and that I wasn't happy paying full price for a smelly room. In compensation I received two bottles of wine??? and the room was neutralised with what smelt like the perfume of an older woman. The room wasn't clean, there was dust everywhere and the plus side was that the bed was extremely comfy. The spa area could be a lot better. The gym is small and cramped and not really safe unless there are 3/4 people in max!!

The only plus side is that the food was excellent. The seared scallops were great, the portions are super big and I'd definitely recommend the burgers and pizzas (just don't order sides cause you won't need them)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UKworldtrotters

Dear UKWorldtrotters
I am sorry that elements of your stay were disappointing. Every effort is made to stop guests smoking and if highlighted by the housekeeping team before a guest leaves, we do charge guests accordingly, as keeping a room out of order whilst it is dealt with is costly. If we are full we have little option some time in using a room, and hopefully approach it in the right manner.
You have some great feedback regarding our food offering and long may this continue.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

My wife and I spent a night away to relax and really enjoyed our stay at the Cedar Court Hotel. We had lunch, then made use of the gym facilities and leisure pool with jacuzzi and sauna. We later booked in for dinner which was very good. The portions were generous and very tasty. Although the hotel needs updating a little, I cannot fault the staff. From our experience the staff couldn't have done more. They were all extremely hard working and friendly. This made a huge difference. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Mcshane99
Great feedback and thank you for sharing with the wider TA audience.
We are looking forward to a refurbishment program in the new year of our ground floor public space, and combined with the great food offering we currently have, we sincerely believe we will be able to offer our guests a fantastic experience.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Labelled as a four star hotel I can only find it within me to give it three stars. Our room was comfy (a little small even though we paid for an upgrade to a superior room), but the bathroom could definitely have done with some updating to bring it up to standard. Not sure what we got extra from being in a superior room (certainly wasn't a good view!) so if we had to stay again I wouldn't bother upgrading. Meal in restaurant was nice, very big portion size, and breakfast was also good - although the food buffet is laid out in a very public area (near check in/bar area) and we didn't find this very appealing, would be better to be moved into the restaurant area but then I guess they would lose room for tables and chairs. Staff very pleasant throughout our stay. The food was the best part of our stay though. Can't comment on the leisure facilities as we didn't use them. Difficult to say if we would return, maybe if it was a dirt cheap offer. Please consider refurbishing very soon as this could be a great hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear dillo84
Regarding refurbishment, we are looking forward to a program starting in the New Year on our ground floor public space, and whilst we hope to keep disruption to a minimum, we do know that the outcome will be fantastic.
Do keep an eye on our website for updates.

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at the cedar court on a groupon deal . We weren't impressed on first impressions and apart from the breakfast that didn't change . The room was very basic and in desperate need of re decoration , the bed was rock hard and shower curtain dirty . In the deal was a 2 course meal , which was ok but most of the menu had a surcharge which didn't leave much choice without paying more . The restaurant itself is completely lacking in atmosphere or character . As I said before the breakfast was good but that didn't make up for the place itself . Definitely wouldn't go back

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Paul S
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry elements of your stay didn’t meet with your expectations.
We will work with the team to make improvements, and if you are in the area in the future you will give us another opportunity.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calder Grove
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton
Holiday Inn Express Wakefield
Cedar Court Hotel Huddersfield/Halifax

Been to Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield? Share your experiences!