“Horrendous Customer Care”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Calder Grove
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Horrendous Customer Care”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

From booking my hen party the staff were disorganised It was a comedy of errors from start to finish At one point 3 of my guests were all given the same room key to a twin bedroom Two guests were given a double bed instead of twin beds They tried to charge us twice for an extra guest As a minor point the jacuzzi didn't work either The worst part of our visit was that after the meal on Saturday 9 of my guests have been seriously ill with sickness The manager said it wasn't bad going for 9 guests out of 150 to be ill I'm disgusted not 1 person should be ill after eating a meal on their premises They should be in the very least apologetic that they could be responsible for anyone to be ill The whole attitude of the staff is unhelpful and not friendly I seriously would tell everyone to give this place a wide birth

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gemmaplumtree36
WakefieldGM, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Gemmapluntree36
Please accept my sincere apologies if the approach taken by a member of our team over the weekend has left you feeling we dont care.
We are in a customer servcie industry and I will ensure that this is addressed with the individual.
In relation to the reproted sickeness, we are working with our consultants and indeed the local authority to ascertain the cause. We served over 200 people with the same menu on the night in question and yes a small number of illnesses have been reported. There is a possibility that this may be an airborne illlness, but until tests are carried out this cannot be confirmed.
If I can help any further please feel free to contact me.
Jonathan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Polish first
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Went for Motown tribute night 24 hours later all in our party came down with sickness not sure if was food or airborne bug but left us very poorly, a real shame as it was a good night, staff were very polite and the show was really good

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Unhappybunch
Dear unhappybunch
I am sorry that a disappointing evening and reported illness has resulted in you feeling the need to post this feedback. We are working with our consultants and indeed the local authority to establish the cause, but based on over 200 meals being served on the evening and a small proportion of reported illness, we are considering that this is an airborne bug as you rightly state. Whilst this is unfortunate, we are pleased to read that it was a great show and an enjoyable night at the time.
If there is anything further we can help with please do not hesitate to contact us.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Attended a function in October as guests of a client - the function itself and food was very good.
The room, an executive double was shall we say "average". What let the room down was the bathroom. The room itself had been refurbished with nice furnishing and new tv etc - but a duster would not have gone amiss over the furniture! Enter the bathroom - this needs a complete overhaul. I was greeted with "hair" on the toilet lid and seat which my husband disposed of very quickly; the bath and shower is from the 1970's - enter the bath the grime around the taps and the plug overflow nearly made me feel ill. Sorry Cedar Court. Sort out your housekeeping - saying that the hotel is in a great location just off the M1, and all the staff I encountered were excellent. Cannot comment on the breakfast as we had to leave at 7.30am for an early morning appointment.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
WakefieldGM, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear LadyWard1
Thank you for the constructive feedback following your recent stay.
We are currently working with our housekeeping team, to ensure the right training is being delivered, the team members mentored on a daily basis, but most importantly that the standard of checking is improved. If this is delivered consistently, we hope to see a marked improvement.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed for 1 night while visiting family in the area so didnt really get chance to take advantage of all the facilities on offer. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We had booked a package but when we arrived the restaurant was booked up until 9.15. We were given the option of eating then or we could have the same menu and service in the bar. We were happy to do this particularly as the bar staff - Debbie- Lea and Daniel- were very attentive and we received excellent service. We all enjoyed our meal very much and had a pleasant evening. The hotel was fully booked and bustling but extra tables had been provided for breakfast and we were impressed with the fresh- regularly replenished- selection of food on offer. We booked on the Groupon £59 offer and certainly could not fault the friendly service, good food and excellent value for money. We would certainly stay here again and next time would prefer to extend out stay in order to make use of the facilities and explore the surrounding area more.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BigVinney
Dear BigVinney
Great feedback, thank you for sharing with the wider TA audience.
We've had some great feedback following the recent Groupon offer, and as always there will be some great offers coming up directly from our web site.
Newcastle
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I visited here on a work trip, and for the price £59 I did not really expect much. But it was a nice hotel, excellent facilities and really nice food.

I decided to upgrade my room to a superior room for £20, which was excellent to be fair, comfortable king size bed in a large room. A nice big LCD on the wall. It also did not have the stupid hotel menus on the TV which really annoy me, because I am unable to plug my laptop into the TV when they are on.

Nice tea and coffee, with fresh water and a nice snack bag of nuts and fruits, the bathroom was immaculate, and had nice shower gel etc included.

I visited the gym which was well furbished, although it was quite busy at 6pm so I would suggest going at a different time.

I ordered room service which promptly arrived 20 minutes later, and if they dont deleiver within 30 minutes you do not pay the tray charge.

Excellent Hotel, I will definately stop again

Room Tip: I would suggest uprading to a superior room which is worth the upgrade price
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear CraigSnell
Guests are often pleasantly surprised, and as always one should never judge a book by its cover.
We have some great facilities and great people, put this with future refurbishment programmes, and I know everyone will be pleasantly surprised.
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here twice this year and I have been meaning to write a review ever since. My last stay was in March 2013 so shame on me! Stayed once with my husband and was so impressed by the venue that I booked my sister's hen night here - 25 women were not let down! We were appointed beautiful, newly refurbished rooms. The food was fantastic and they went out of their way to allow us to decorate the table with our colour scheme (red of course) and seated us all together at breakfast with a specially reserved table. The hotel drafted in a Zumba teacher and we had a fancy dress zumba workout in one of the suites upstairs - yes we were a spectacle! They even allowed us to host our 'brides vs the pimpernelles' quiz in the suite. All in all it was fantastic and they spared no attention to detail. Having stayed in hotels worldwide I truly cannot fault the dedication of the staff here. All were friendly. All were so helpful. Every single one is a credit to this establishment. But most of all can I give special praise to Jane who was our event organiser - she truly is second to none. Jane was fantastic at liaising with me and keeping me updated about our plans and arrangements a real star and such a calm persona for guests. Rooms were warm, spotlessly clean, modern and bright. The restaurant served good food and the service was impeccable. What more could you look for on a night away from home? I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to even the most discerning traveller. As a former travel writer I've certainly had lots of negative findings I could have reported on but here...none so! It's thumbs up all the way for Cedar Court - wish they had one at every holiday destination!

Room Tip: Newly refurbished rooms are obviously better.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear AbbyReid
Two visits this year and a great experience on each occasion, thank you indeed for sharing with the wider TA audience.
I do hope that everyone you enjoyed the experience with, thinks about us in the future, as we are a great venue for celebrating, and offer a fantastic experience.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here (along with everybody else) on a Groupon £59 dinner, bed and breakfast deal. I upgraded prior to going to a superior room for £15 more. The room was lovely, looked newly refurbished and with the comfiest bed ever. Ok, it was a bit small and there were no drawers but for one or two nights was ideal.

We used the pool area which was nice and clean. Luckily there weren't many people using it or it may have been crowded as its only small.

The food was lovely. We did pick some items from the set menu that came with a supplement and added a pudding so with drinks the meal was an extra £40 or so. (I had the black and blue burger which was included and was massive) Breakfast was lovely, no complaints.

Overall the hotel was great, definitely better than a Premier Inn but not quiet a Crowne Plaza.
Id just like to mention the reception staff, especially Sephanie (I think) were great, very professional and helpful and a credit to the hotel.
Would go back if we got a "deal" just for a quick night away and would happily recommend it.

PS - It looks like they do lots of tribute type nights which look great value if you like that kind of thing!

Room Tip: We were in 123 which looked recently refurbished and was very quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jacks5
Great feedback, thank you for sharing with the wider TA audience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calder Grove
#2 of 2 in Ossett
Cedar Court Hotel Huddersfield/Halifax
Holiday Inn Express Wakefield
Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40

Been to Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield? Share your experiences!