“Great atmosphere which is the ony reason I'd go back”

Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Calder Grove
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere which is the ony reason I'd go back”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have enjoyed many an evening at Cedar Court enjoying their dinner disco evenings. The most recent trip was an 80's night. As usual a lot of people made the effort to get dressed in fancy dress - this really makes the atmosphere fun. On this occasion though, the food was absolutely awful. Usually you get a reasonable meal for the price of the evening. This was different. I could not eat any of it - horrid.

On the brighter side - the evenings are always fun but I'm sure that is down to the fun loving Wakefield people. The DJ at the Cedar Court should hang up his decks as he plays the same music everytime I visit and is uninspiring and dull.

Finally, whlst I didn't stay over this time some of my friends stayed over (and I have stayed in the hotel overnight before). My friends suggested that the rooms need serious attention - dated is an understatement. I am told the hotel is going through refurbishment and it certainly needs it.

Cedar Court...your standards are slipping. I come once or twice a year (even had my hen night here) and I'm seriously re-thinking my party plans in future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
WakefieldGM, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Helen W
I am sorry if we have got the recent event wrong, and not met with your expectation and experiences of previous events. I will ensure we follow this up and hopefully be able to understand what we need to do to improve.
We are indeed investing in the hotel next year, and it will be great to share this when all of the plans have been confirmed.
Jonathan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Staff were absolutely brilliant, all were without exception efficient, courteous, polite but most of all, genuinely friendly, welcoming and only too willing to help. On the whole a very clean modern and perhaps functional hotel aimed more at the business guest than the leisure traveller. An enjoyable stay. But, there were some issues. The room was (very) dusty in places. We ate in the restaurant on the second night and ordered bread and olives. We were more than a little surprised to find out that bread and alives were charged as separate items although the menu indicated otherwise. No problem, we paid. But I was astonished to discover when checking the invoice the next day that the three pieces of bread had set us back £6.90!

We did have an issue with the main meal unfortunately - my partner ordered lime and ginger noodles but was served the dish with beef strips which she didn't order. Again, a simple mistake.

Where I would take issue is that I have contacted the hotel on three separate occasions - not to demand a refund or ask for a free stay or anything like that - but just to invite their comments and perhaps to acknowledge my (hopefully) constructive crticism in the way it was honestly intended. Sadly I have not had the courtesy of a reply. I did praise the hotel but just asked more or less as an aside if the bill was correct - as I say, nothing in response. I do think I have given them enough time to reply.

A shame, as otherwise, I would really recommend the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Steve S
Thank you for a great review of your experiences.
There has obviously been an issue with regard to a response to feedback provided and I will follow this up with the team to see if I can find how / why this has gone astray. You will note that we are active in responding promptly online and the same should be the same if you have contacted the hotel already.
I hope this will not deter you from considering us again, and look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Gwynedd
Reviewed 29 November 2013

what a find! We booked our conference at the cedar Court hotel and must say that staff have been so incredibly helpful. They have been unfailingly polite and cheerful and so well organised absolutely nothing is too much trouble.

Must mention too that our food has been scrumptious do opt for the trio of desserts which is beautifully presented comprising of trifle in a shot glass, a vanilla creme brulee and strawberry shortcake stack . an absolute delight.

Our room was very clean too so what more can you ask.

A big round of thanks to all of the staff and management too as I really can't wait to return!

Room Tip: room 244 is quite and overlooks well kept grounds
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
WakefieldGM, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear A G
What more can I say but thank you on behalf of all the team here at Cedar Court Hotel.
We aim to exceed our guest expectation every time, and whilst this is sometime difficult, it is appreciated when guest take the time to post their positive feedback for the wider TA audience.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I spend around 200 days a year staying in hotels, I work all over the the UK & was very disappointed with the hotel.
Emailed ahead to say I would be arriving late, only to spend 15minuntes upon arrival trying to check in.
Room 305 very sub standard for the £90 paid B&B for one night, ripped wall paper, broken spa bath and in need of a lick of paint.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RPG999
WakefieldGM, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear RPG999
I am sorry that this experiences did not meet with your expectation.
We do have a progressive refurbishment programme, and every year an element of the hotel is refurbished. Whilst circa 50% is of a great standard, we will continue to do more bedrooms next year and all of the ground floor public areas.
We do hope you will consider us in the future and hopefully you will notice a marked difference.

Travellers are raving about these Calder Grove hotels

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

myself and a group of friends stayed at the cedar court hotel on November 16. the hotel was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and welcoming. it is a great place for an overnight stay but is a bit off the beaten track. breakfast was one of the better ones I have had. self service cooked breakfast, cereals,toast, preserves pastries and tea and coffee and fruit juices were plentiful. unfortunately we were unable to use the swimming pool as it didn't open until 8.30am and we were leaving at 9.15am. overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
WakefieldGM, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Travelfairy830
Great feedback, thank you for sharing with the wider TA audience.
We did some great work with breakfast as it is important the quality of food and service is balanced with the buffet operation in place here at Cedar Court Hotel.
We hope to see you again in the future.
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I went to one of there 80's themed nights with work which includes a set menu meal. The food was fairly bland nothing special at all. The disco and band where ok and got plenty of people up dancing.
We also stayed overnight the rooms are nice and well equipped with an Iron, trouser press and tea and coffee making facilities. The hotel also has free WiFi for guests. Now the bad bit. The bed was the most uncomfortable one I've ever slept in very hard and lumpy I'm just glad I was only staying one night.
So overall a good experience apart from the bed which needs desperately needs changing.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
WakefieldGM, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Paul K
Balanced feedback, thank you for sharing with the wider TA audience.
Hopefully on a future visit you will be able to enjoy the refurbishment that is planned.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I too attended cedar court at a Diana Ross tribute night on Friday 15th November 2013 and I too came down ill with Sickness and Diarrhea stomach cramps fever and aching and still am poorly, environmental health are now involved and are treating it as an out break as more people are now coming out with the same conditions and we are all having to send in samples :((((

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mickymac2013
Dear Mickymac2013
Thank you for posting your feedback and I am sorry that the sickness has been experienced by some of the guests attending the evening.
We have worked closely with Wakefield Environmental Health and Public Health England at every point.
I have today received a call from the Duty Officer who was leading the enquiry and has reported back that the illness is attributed to Norovirus, and a guests attending the event who has willingly provided a sample, has tested positive for Norovirus.
We are sorry that the subsequent events have occurred but would like to reassure everyone that our processes are robust and our operational practices safe.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calder Grove
Ramada Wakefield
#2 of 2 in Ossett
Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield? Share your experiences!