“wedding reception”
Review of Dunadry Hotel

Dunadry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunadry
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked 3 rooms for an over night for a wedding reception on Saturday 10th May think we got a discount which I am glad £88 for a double & £70 for a single was more than enough for B&B the hotel could do with a make over & a good pep talk to the domestic staff especially in the bathrooms the double bed was two single beds pushed together my mattress was ok but the other one was well worn you sunk into the middle of it .On a positive note the staff where friendly & helpful the food was very good the room the reception was held was a large airy room lovely decor as I am sure the bride & groom had a hand in . There was a large crowed at the wedding so a lot of profit for the hotel .To make a perfect day the management should consider an overhaul especially the bedrooms and new carpet through the hotel . It is a perfect hotel for a wedding with the lovely grounds for photos .

Room Tip: Book a room over looking the garden
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 May 2014

i don't really understand why there were four beds in our room, why there wasn't a lock on the bathroom door, or even where the leak in the toilet came from...but it was very odd. I don't understand why the ancient thick walls of the corridor leading to our room was had been finished in 1970's style brown brick work. Or why they had the same photograph of old linen workings 3 times in that corridor.

The food in the restaurant was frightening.
I am a vegetarian and I quite like mushrooms, but I was surprised to see that 2 of the 3 veggie options on the menu featured this fungus. So I went for the only veggie non-mushroom starter which was more like a dessert fruit salad and saved my mushrooms for the main course. Portobello mushrooms topped with ratatouille with grilled cheese sounded quite pleasant...yummy!

Not - Yukky, reheated mess, yes.

My wife, the cow eater, ordered steak which she abandoned after a few bites.

We also asked for a side salad which materialised in the form of a couple of unripe tomatoes in a ramekin dish. That remained un-eaten too. Thank Jaysus we had ordered a side of chips (fries) which filled the gap.

This hotel specialises in weddings, which I'm sure they do very well, judging by the wrecked faces at breakfast the next morning. Everybody had obviously had a great time.

The highlight of my visit was definitely the cigar which one of the wedding guests had stubbed out on a slice of orange. I passed this 3 or 4 times on my way to and from breakfast. It was surrounded by a gang of about 20 cigarette butts that lay sodden on a table, out on the lawn for everybody to admire. It's odd, you'd think that a hotel with such experience of late night revelers would have somebody do a once over on the morning, after the night before. Maybe this is part of the atmosphere?

I don't think I'll be going back....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MilosBrain
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My partner and I went along to the Dunadry Hotel with another Couple for one night stay. We had a voucher for Bed, Breakfast and three course meal with a bottle of wine.
On arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff who were very helpfull, they guided us to our rooms, which were King executive rooms, the rooms were lovely and very spacious. We then went down to the restaurant and had a very tastey meal which we all enjoyed very much.
On reading other reviews I dont think they stayed in the same hotel as us, the staff and the atmosphere was great and we cant wait to return. You enter as a guest and leave as a friend,all Thanks to Mr J.J.Wonderfull looking forward to our friends wedding next year.

3  Thank Stacey H
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel as part of a voucher deal, below is my complaint, and then under that is the response from the marketing manager.
THE COMPLAINT
King Executive Room – I do not believe this to be an executive room,
• the bed was two single beds pushed together
• the décor felt very dated
• below the TV there was a plug socket not correctly fixed to the wall
• Some plug sockets (bedside / bathroom) were I believe the 1970s
3 course meal with a bottle of wine in the Flax & Beetle Restaurant
• When we arrived we were given a different menu as we had a voucher
• We were sat in a separate area of the restaurant, beside toilets (restaurant was not at all busy)
Bath time Pamper Gift Set which has Luxury Bubble Bath and Body Lotion
• Bath had a massive blue strain in the middle of it
• Mould had developed around taps and shower
• All that was supplied was a bottle of bubble bath

THE RESPONSE

Naturally, we are very disappointed to read your comments to TreatTicket regarding your recent stay at the Dunadry Hotel.
Thank you for your feedback and the positive comments you made about hotel staff. I have investigated the other issues raised by you.

Firstly, the room you were allocated is an executive room, without question. The bed isn’t as you describe but what is termed, a zip/link bed (mattresses can be unzipped to become 2 single beds). But they are King double beds. The rooms are very spacious, as you no doubt noticed, and room 145 overlooks the gardens via large double glass doors.
Rooms also have 5 chairs – 2 comfy tub chairs, a chair at the dressing table and 2 chairs at a dining table. I can assure you, it’s an executive room.

Regarding dinner, the menu included in this treat is a specially designed menu. It is in no way inferior and is varied and excellent quality. This menu is included in other offers provided by us – our Romantic Retreat, Our One Night Getaway Break and the Two Night Break, all include the menu offered to you.
The Restaurant was recently refurbished. You were seated in a part of the restaurant that is to the front of the smaller part of the Bistro. There are no tables beside the toilets. The bar and wine rack is beside the toilets.

I have spoken the housekeeper who was on duty last weekend. She assured me that she personally placed Marks & Spencer luxury bubble bath and body lotion in your room.

The Dunadry is now almost 50 years old. It has a reputation for providing excellent food and a quality service in an atmosphere that is quaint and charming, which it has had for many years. The hotel isn’t shiny and new and has some elements that show the passing of time. We have an ongoing refurbishment programme and appreciate that we have work to do from time to time. However, these elements are day to day maintenance issues which are standard in any Hotel. I’m sorry that you found it necessary to complain and once again, I’m very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay.

Yours sincerely,

Room Tip: Space does equal executive
2  Thank SeamusinBelfast
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Arrived to find no lift havin to carry a pram upstairs with no offer of help, rooms are lovely, settled in for the nite only to be woken at half three by two strange men barging into our room after bein giving the same room no and given a keyboard, poor management, arguing neighbours uneventful stay

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and myself had a wonderful weekend in The Dunadry, yet again, we were here a few years ago and enjoyed it then too. Its such a relaxing hotel with the friendliest staff, nothing was any bother to them at all. Our room was lovely and overlooked the gorgeous garden. The food in the restaurant was delicious and again the staff were fab. We had treatments in the Spa which were bliss and worth every penny. Although there were a few functions on over our weekend, a formal, a wedding and a conference, noise in the hotel was minimal and not a hint of it was heard in our room at any time. The entire conference were staying and guests from the formal and the wedding were staying too. Credit to the hotel. We are looking forward to our next stay here.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lwpdfam4
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We went for a Saturday evening meal in the Flax and Beetle restaurant. The reason for the visit was to see what the food and atmosphere was like. I am getting married next year and the Dunadry has been recommended for weddings on a number of occasions. There was a wedding taking place on the night of our visit. The ballroom looked nice and guests all seemed to be having a good time. Anyway, back to the restaurant...for starters we ordered seafood chowder and battered mushrooms. The seafood chowder was fine but the mushrooms were overcooked, tasteless and served on wilted, beginning to brown lettuce. I was dismayed but thought maybe this was just a blip. Unfortunately not. For mains I ordered 'pan fried chicken with cheese and parma ham. It was basically a cooked chicken fillet with melted cheese on top and a crisy piece of pama ham. Garlic potatoes consisted of undercooked chips with a dribble of butter on top.
My partner had a steak sandwich. Steak was dry and bread like toast. All in all this meal was very bland, tasteless and outrageously priced. £50.00 for what I have described along with one beer and a red wine!! The staff were very nice, but rather miserable looking...the whole place completely lacking in atmosphere. I feel this is such a waste of a gorgeous venue and a total shame that management would allow this standard in what is supposed to be a four star hotel. Reading the reviews on here it seems that weddings seem to go smoothly. Maybe this is why our meal was so poor! However, I can honestly say that after this experience I would not ever consider holding my wedding here. Such a shame. On a brighter note the pub accross the road 'Ellie Mays' does a fantastic dinner.

3  Thank sandsles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunadry
2 mi away
2 mi away
Templeton Hotel
Templeton Hotel
#2 of 2 in Templepatrick

Been to Dunadry Hotel? Share your experiences!