“quaint but dated”
Review of Dunadry Hotel

Dunadry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunadry
Reviewed 16 May 2014

spent a night at this hotel recently and honestly found it a pleasant experience. Okay it needs a make over and some T L C but i found the staff pleasant and eager to please,the room was airy and bright and the bed first class. Not sure about the brickwork wall effect but some might find it tasteful.My food was quite tasty although my companions were slightly disappointed with their portions(small) the hotel as i said is in need of some refurbishment not a four star in its present condition but nevertheless plenty to like about it

1  Thank weecleo

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Lovely hotel, excellent staff on reception and a fabulous Bar man/ manager who made you feel very welcome. Very cozy bed and excellent power shower. Great place to stay... no faults . Clean and very charming place with lots of character, not your everyday boring hotel x

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Dunadry in May, while on a short visit to Ireland. This hotel was always my hotel of choice when traveling there on business, and I loved the charm and history of the place, the friendliness of the staff, as well as the outstanding quality of the food. Its been about three years since my last visit, and what a change there has been for the worse, especially the quality of the food served here. Previously, the breakfast made the stay here worth it by itself - the Ulster fry they served was prepared individually fresh each morning and consisted of locally sourced eggs, bacon and sausages as well as a locally made Farl. What you get now is the typical breakfast buffet consisting of the cheapest baked beans, bacon and watered down juice, all left to stew in its own juices for hours. When we ate in the bar during the evening I ordered the burger, which used to be a fresh hand pressed burger made from beef from a local farm. What I was presented with this time was a burnt frozen burger from the local cash and carry.

I also want to mention the state of the carpet in our room, 124. The carpet was absolutely filthy, and a particularly bad stain by the windows was a major biohazard all by itself. For a hotel like The Dunadry to consider this acceptable is another indication of how far its standards have fallen. The bed however, was spotlessly clean and comfortable, as was the bathroom.

I have not given The Dunadry a poor review because I enjoy being negative, far from it, I used to love staying here. The grounds and the location are quite stunning, and what is needed here is a change of attitude by senior management. It needs to update many of the rooms and return to offering local produce prepared well. Can there be any better locations than Northern Ireland when it comes to the accessibility of outstanding farm produce? Come on Dunadry, you need to up your game and do it now!

3  Thank Nigel K
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked 3 rooms for an over night for a wedding reception on Saturday 10th May think we got a discount which I am glad £88 for a double & £70 for a single was more than enough for B&B the hotel could do with a make over & a good pep talk to the domestic staff especially in the bathrooms the double bed was two single beds pushed together my mattress was ok but the other one was well worn you sunk into the middle of it .On a positive note the staff where friendly & helpful the food was very good the room the reception was held was a large airy room lovely decor as I am sure the bride & groom had a hand in . There was a large crowed at the wedding so a lot of profit for the hotel .To make a perfect day the management should consider an overhaul especially the bedrooms and new carpet through the hotel . It is a perfect hotel for a wedding with the lovely grounds for photos .

Room Tip: Book a room over looking the garden
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

i don't really understand why there were four beds in our room, why there wasn't a lock on the bathroom door, or even where the leak in the toilet came from...but it was very odd. I don't understand why the ancient thick walls of the corridor leading to our room was had been finished in 1970's style brown brick work. Or why they had the same photograph of old linen workings 3 times in that corridor.

The food in the restaurant was frightening.
I am a vegetarian and I quite like mushrooms, but I was surprised to see that 2 of the 3 veggie options on the menu featured this fungus. So I went for the only veggie non-mushroom starter which was more like a dessert fruit salad and saved my mushrooms for the main course. Portobello mushrooms topped with ratatouille with grilled cheese sounded quite pleasant...yummy!

Not - Yukky, reheated mess, yes.

My wife, the cow eater, ordered steak which she abandoned after a few bites.

We also asked for a side salad which materialised in the form of a couple of unripe tomatoes in a ramekin dish. That remained un-eaten too. Thank Jaysus we had ordered a side of chips (fries) which filled the gap.

This hotel specialises in weddings, which I'm sure they do very well, judging by the wrecked faces at breakfast the next morning. Everybody had obviously had a great time.

The highlight of my visit was definitely the cigar which one of the wedding guests had stubbed out on a slice of orange. I passed this 3 or 4 times on my way to and from breakfast. It was surrounded by a gang of about 20 cigarette butts that lay sodden on a table, out on the lawn for everybody to admire. It's odd, you'd think that a hotel with such experience of late night revelers would have somebody do a once over on the morning, after the night before. Maybe this is part of the atmosphere?

I don't think I'll be going back....

4  Thank MilosBrain
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My partner and I went along to the Dunadry Hotel with another Couple for one night stay. We had a voucher for Bed, Breakfast and three course meal with a bottle of wine.
On arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff who were very helpfull, they guided us to our rooms, which were King executive rooms, the rooms were lovely and very spacious. We then went down to the restaurant and had a very tastey meal which we all enjoyed very much.
On reading other reviews I dont think they stayed in the same hotel as us, the staff and the atmosphere was great and we cant wait to return. You enter as a guest and leave as a friend,all Thanks to Mr J.J.Wonderfull looking forward to our friends wedding next year.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stacey H
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel as part of a voucher deal, below is my complaint, and then under that is the response from the marketing manager.
THE COMPLAINT
King Executive Room – I do not believe this to be an executive room,
• the bed was two single beds pushed together
• the décor felt very dated
• below the TV there was a plug socket not correctly fixed to the wall
• Some plug sockets (bedside / bathroom) were I believe the 1970s
3 course meal with a bottle of wine in the Flax & Beetle Restaurant
• When we arrived we were given a different menu as we had a voucher
• We were sat in a separate area of the restaurant, beside toilets (restaurant was not at all busy)
Bath time Pamper Gift Set which has Luxury Bubble Bath and Body Lotion
• Bath had a massive blue strain in the middle of it
• Mould had developed around taps and shower
• All that was supplied was a bottle of bubble bath

THE RESPONSE

Naturally, we are very disappointed to read your comments to TreatTicket regarding your recent stay at the Dunadry Hotel.
Thank you for your feedback and the positive comments you made about hotel staff. I have investigated the other issues raised by you.

Firstly, the room you were allocated is an executive room, without question. The bed isn’t as you describe but what is termed, a zip/link bed (mattresses can be unzipped to become 2 single beds). But they are King double beds. The rooms are very spacious, as you no doubt noticed, and room 145 overlooks the gardens via large double glass doors.
Rooms also have 5 chairs – 2 comfy tub chairs, a chair at the dressing table and 2 chairs at a dining table. I can assure you, it’s an executive room.

Regarding dinner, the menu included in this treat is a specially designed menu. It is in no way inferior and is varied and excellent quality. This menu is included in other offers provided by us – our Romantic Retreat, Our One Night Getaway Break and the Two Night Break, all include the menu offered to you.
The Restaurant was recently refurbished. You were seated in a part of the restaurant that is to the front of the smaller part of the Bistro. There are no tables beside the toilets. The bar and wine rack is beside the toilets.

I have spoken the housekeeper who was on duty last weekend. She assured me that she personally placed Marks & Spencer luxury bubble bath and body lotion in your room.

The Dunadry is now almost 50 years old. It has a reputation for providing excellent food and a quality service in an atmosphere that is quaint and charming, which it has had for many years. The hotel isn’t shiny and new and has some elements that show the passing of time. We have an ongoing refurbishment programme and appreciate that we have work to do from time to time. However, these elements are day to day maintenance issues which are standard in any Hotel. I’m sorry that you found it necessary to complain and once again, I’m very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay.

Yours sincerely,

Room Tip: Space does equal executive
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SeamusinBelfast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunadry
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club
#2 of 2 in Templepatrick
Ballyrobin Country Lodge
Ballyrobin Country Lodge
#1 of 1 in Aldergrove

Been to Dunadry Hotel? Share your experiences!