“Manager Ignored My Letter of Complaint”
Review of Dunadry Hotel

Dunadry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunadry
Reviewed 22 May 2014

On Saturday Night 3rd May 2014 my wife and I met at Dunadry Hotel with two friends from Holywood Co Down. I had booked a table in the Bistro for 6.30 p.m. As we walked into the bistro via a conservatory type area which had tables and seating I noted some of the tables could have done with a clean. We were promptly and courteously shown to out table (NO 31). We were presented with menus which were typed out on A4 sheets of paper - they had Tea & Coffee stains on them. My friend found his seat to be very wobbly and we also noted the table somewhat wobbly - I have actually seen better being used at Car Boot Sales. When the waitress came to take order both table and chair were mentioned to her but her priority was to take order. My friend asked if we could move to a table in corner but this was reserved. Waitress said she would sort but never did. Our 4 main course meals whilst acceptable were nothing special for a 4* establishment. We ordered 4 deserts. One a sticky toffee pudding which my friends wife ordered had a very solid lump in middle and was inedible. She couldn't even cut through it with a knife and fork. My friend drew to attention of waitress who said she would mention to chef. We expected her to return with some form of explanation but she didn't. For some reason I am not sure of Tea or Coffee didn't seem to be on offer and our bill duly arrived. Sticky Toffee Pudding @ £4.75 was on bill so we brought to attention asking what Chef had said about it. Reply was 'He didn't think it was good enough'. We pointed out it was on bill. It was removed at this point. On the bill was a Bailey's Coffee which my friend ordered - It was charged at £5.35 whilst others on menu (Baileys Wasn't) were priced at £4.75. Queried but told that was price as LIqueurs were sometimes dearer than spirits. Tia Maria was £4.75 !!. When meal was finished and bill duly paid we decided to sit in Conservatory area I referred to at start. Area had just been vacated by wedding party who used it whilst room was being set up for evening do. Glasses etc that were left were not cleared until we ordered Tea/Coffee - table wasn't even wiped.. What was meant to be a pleasant chat over Tea/Coffee was ruined by the Racket coming from the wedding Evening do. I don't blame in any way the guests as they were there to enjoy a special day. The Hotel does not allow for both - two close together. I decided to check out seating in bar area at reception but found a singer with two large speakers and a music system giving it his all. The doors from this area into the evening do were open and again the racket was unbearable. The singer seemed to be trying to outdo the evening do - not a place for a quiet chat with friend so we left. I posted letter of complaint to Manager on Tuesday 6th May and it is now Thursday 22nd May - NO REPLY. This is supposed to be a 4* Hotel but based on our experience that night I would rate it 2* at best. To me NO REPLY means TOUGH. As I had suggested Dunadry I felt particularly bad about the whole experience. IF YOU REALLY MUST DINE HERE PLEASE CHECK OUT IF THERE IS WEDDING ON AT SAME TIME - IF THERE IS MY ADVISE WOULD BE TO PASS. REALLY DISAPPOINTED. What once was and still could be a really good Hotel has gone downhill.

Room Tip: Can't help as only dined there unfortunately.
3  Thank Mervyn C

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Spent three nights here last week. Normally stay Belfast city centre but due to Balmoral show and Indy200 the usual suspects were full. I stayed here at what was a reasonable rate for a '4*'. Location - about 20mins from Belfast City centre and is very quiet and peaceful. The hotel itself isn't bad but does need updating. According to the entrance area, it was established in 1966. Possibly and may have been updated c1980's. The brickwork wall effect and chintz kinda gives it away a little.
The room was comfortable enough apart from one night when a neighbouring guest had obviously left their bathroom light on and the fan ran for most of the night. It was quite audible in my room and annoying
Staff are pleasant enough apart from a rather frosty welcome at check-in.
Breakfast is hearty enough, although I have tasted better in lesser graded establishments. That along with Christmas tunes belting out the PA at 7am is a bit off putting...It is nearly summer you know.
Would I return here? Wouldn't be my first choice, but wouldn't have an issue if there were no alternatives

Room Tip: Go for an upgraded room if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank stene
Reviewed 16 May 2014

spent a night at this hotel recently and honestly found it a pleasant experience. Okay it needs a make over and some T L C but i found the staff pleasant and eager to please,the room was airy and bright and the bed first class. Not sure about the brickwork wall effect but some might find it tasteful.My food was quite tasty although my companions were slightly disappointed with their portions(small) the hotel as i said is in need of some refurbishment not a four star in its present condition but nevertheless plenty to like about it

1  Thank weecleo
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Lovely hotel, excellent staff on reception and a fabulous Bar man/ manager who made you feel very welcome. Very cozy bed and excellent power shower. Great place to stay... no faults . Clean and very charming place with lots of character, not your everyday boring hotel x

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Dunadry in May, while on a short visit to Ireland. This hotel was always my hotel of choice when traveling there on business, and I loved the charm and history of the place, the friendliness of the staff, as well as the outstanding quality of the food. Its been about three years since my last visit, and what a change there has been for the worse, especially the quality of the food served here. Previously, the breakfast made the stay here worth it by itself - the Ulster fry they served was prepared individually fresh each morning and consisted of locally sourced eggs, bacon and sausages as well as a locally made Farl. What you get now is the typical breakfast buffet consisting of the cheapest baked beans, bacon and watered down juice, all left to stew in its own juices for hours. When we ate in the bar during the evening I ordered the burger, which used to be a fresh hand pressed burger made from beef from a local farm. What I was presented with this time was a burnt frozen burger from the local cash and carry.

I also want to mention the state of the carpet in our room, 124. The carpet was absolutely filthy, and a particularly bad stain by the windows was a major biohazard all by itself. For a hotel like The Dunadry to consider this acceptable is another indication of how far its standards have fallen. The bed however, was spotlessly clean and comfortable, as was the bathroom.

I have not given The Dunadry a poor review because I enjoy being negative, far from it, I used to love staying here. The grounds and the location are quite stunning, and what is needed here is a change of attitude by senior management. It needs to update many of the rooms and return to offering local produce prepared well. Can there be any better locations than Northern Ireland when it comes to the accessibility of outstanding farm produce? Come on Dunadry, you need to up your game and do it now!

3  Thank Nigel K
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked 3 rooms for an over night for a wedding reception on Saturday 10th May think we got a discount which I am glad £88 for a double & £70 for a single was more than enough for B&B the hotel could do with a make over & a good pep talk to the domestic staff especially in the bathrooms the double bed was two single beds pushed together my mattress was ok but the other one was well worn you sunk into the middle of it .On a positive note the staff where friendly & helpful the food was very good the room the reception was held was a large airy room lovely decor as I am sure the bride & groom had a hand in . There was a large crowed at the wedding so a lot of profit for the hotel .To make a perfect day the management should consider an overhaul especially the bedrooms and new carpet through the hotel . It is a perfect hotel for a wedding with the lovely grounds for photos .

Room Tip: Book a room over looking the garden
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

i don't really understand why there were four beds in our room, why there wasn't a lock on the bathroom door, or even where the leak in the toilet came from...but it was very odd. I don't understand why the ancient thick walls of the corridor leading to our room was had been finished in 1970's style brown brick work. Or why they had the same photograph of old linen workings 3 times in that corridor.

The food in the restaurant was frightening.
I am a vegetarian and I quite like mushrooms, but I was surprised to see that 2 of the 3 veggie options on the menu featured this fungus. So I went for the only veggie non-mushroom starter which was more like a dessert fruit salad and saved my mushrooms for the main course. Portobello mushrooms topped with ratatouille with grilled cheese sounded quite pleasant...yummy!

Not - Yukky, reheated mess, yes.

My wife, the cow eater, ordered steak which she abandoned after a few bites.

We also asked for a side salad which materialised in the form of a couple of unripe tomatoes in a ramekin dish. That remained un-eaten too. Thank Jaysus we had ordered a side of chips (fries) which filled the gap.

This hotel specialises in weddings, which I'm sure they do very well, judging by the wrecked faces at breakfast the next morning. Everybody had obviously had a great time.

The highlight of my visit was definitely the cigar which one of the wedding guests had stubbed out on a slice of orange. I passed this 3 or 4 times on my way to and from breakfast. It was surrounded by a gang of about 20 cigarette butts that lay sodden on a table, out on the lawn for everybody to admire. It's odd, you'd think that a hotel with such experience of late night revelers would have somebody do a once over on the morning, after the night before. Maybe this is part of the atmosphere?

I don't think I'll be going back....

4  Thank MilosBrain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunadry
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club
#2 of 2 in Templepatrick
Corrs Corner Hotel
Corrs Corner Hotel
#1 of 3 in Newtownabbey

Been to Dunadry Hotel? Share your experiences!