“For one night only......”
Review of Dunadry Hotel

Dunadry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunadry
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I only spent one night here but I have to say I wish I hadn't done even that. You might ask why I even bothered to give it 2 stars on the rating scale - and if I'm honest I'm wondering that myself. But I've given them this rating only because of the polite staff. The bar was very nice and the decor in the bar was as well. I didn't visit the restaurant since you can order from the restaurant menu in the bar - and I have to say my meal was perfectly fine. Nothing spectacular mind you - just a Caesar salad and some chips - but I was pleased to see they didn't get it wrong.

Now - my room on the other hand was tragic. I had an executive room (at least I think I did) and whilst it was larger than most and more than it needed to be - it was very Spartan. No mini-bar (fridge) sadly. A stand with the TV on it and a tray of tea/coffee/kettle inside it. A dining table, desk, chair and bed. I had a king size bed and when I saw it I was excited at the prospect of a lovely big bed, however I didn't sleep a wink all night because there were so many stray springs stabbing me all over!! No matter which way I tried to position myself there was no saving grace and I was attacked by the mattress at every turn.

Now - in fairness to the staff - I did mention this in the morning and I was told by the lovely desk receptionist that she was very pleased that I had told her because very few people do. The key will be to see if they now do anything about it (Room 107 - by the way - just in case the hotel staff are reading this).

Don't get me started on the breakfast. I decided to have breakfast in my room as I had work to do early in the morning anyway. I ordered eggs (boiled 4.5 min) but they may as well have been raw. The tea was like tar - completely undrinkable. I was so put off by it all I actually just left the rest and didn't even bother.

Then we have the outside!! Oh where to begin with the flora and fauna!! I'm not normally a violent person but I would've taken a shotgun to the tree outside my room if I could. I'm all for mother nature and not disturbing the status quo - but when you have a tree on your land which is 10 feet from your guest rooms and houses what sounded like 100 crows cawing all at the same time - you might want to get that sorted!! I couldn't believe that they were going well into the evening (approximately 22:00) and started up again at about 04:30!! I wanted to kill myself. The last thing I needed with a bad nights sleep was to be rudely awakened by crows rattling around in my brain.

The building itself is really pretty and the bar area has some lovely decor - but the rest of the hotel is in need of some serious TLC - and fast. They really need to look at these reviews and take note of all the complaints people have made to sort them out.

One thing I will say in its favour though - it has plug points on either side of the bed which is a huge bonus and lacking in many other hotels. This way you can at least plug your phone in and not have it half way across the room.

I don't plan on visiting this hotel again any time in the near future unless I can see that it's been renovated. Sadly - it needs serious attention and for £75 I don't think it's worth the effort.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank kookie72
hgibson, Head of Sales & Revenue at Dunadry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Kookie72,
Naturally, we are very dissappointed to read your comments regarding your recent stay at the Dunadry. We take all feedback very seriously and I am very sorry that your night at the Hotel was far below our standard. The Hotel has an ongoing refurbishment programme which commenced last year, addressing issues such as decor, soft furnishings and lighting - this will be extended to the executive rooms in the Autumn. The Dunadry is a very popular hotel for business and leisure travellers and there is a contstant need to make sure that mattresses and beds are comfortable. Thank you for bringing this to our attention - the matter will be dealt with today, I can assure you.
If you would like to return to the hotel when next in the area, please email us directly to info@dunadry.com or call me on 028 9443 4343 so that I can personally make your arrangements.
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I look forward to hearing from you,
Helen

There are newer reviews for Dunadry Hotel

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here for one night as part of a wedding party - it was like stepping back in time. My room had a double bed and three singles -
Resembling a hostel dormitory as opposed to a hotel room. The duvet on the bed was horrible. A big old heavy blanket with a duvet cover over it and Old pillows. Luckily the residents bar allowed us to stay downstairs until 5am so I didn't have to endure the room surroundings.
The food at the wedding was plain and mass produced - disappointing to say the least but set the standard.
Breakfast the next day was nothing short of disgusting. I think it was fried soda and fried potato bread mixed in a metal tray. It just tasted of burnt grease. Granted I didn't go to breakfast until 10:15 (15 mins before breakfast close) but there were no eggs left and only 3 slices of bacon. The "choice" of bread consisted of brown or white.
This is most definitely not a four star hotel compared to standards of other hotels I've stayed in. Three stars at a push.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Cathy M
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Booked last minute for a night away without children great value 1night bb and dinner but when I read reviews was very nervous. Hotel was clean and homely room was very small but clean and was quiet. Meal was lovely and wine was included, spent the evening in the bar which had a band playing traditional music. Breakfast was buffet style but good variety and quality would return if we had a bigger room.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here with a Treat Ticket offer which included 1 night b&b and 3 course dinner. The meal we had was good and I could find no fault. The breakfast was buffet style so obviously some food was sitting on the hot plates for a while. It was as good as expected.

The room, although spacious and the bed comfortable, was in need of some tlc and could do with a refurb. For an executive room in a 4* hotel I would expect a bit more luxury.

This is a Mooney Hotel Group hotel (not Hastings Group as another reviewer stated) and I do hope they take note of these recent reviews and make the improvements where necessary. I wouldn't
want this hotel to get any worse.

1  Thank LSM67
Reviewed 22 May 2014

On Saturday Night 3rd May 2014 my wife and I met at Dunadry Hotel with two friends from Holywood Co Down. I had booked a table in the Bistro for 6.30 p.m. As we walked into the bistro via a conservatory type area which had tables and seating I noted some of the tables could have done with a clean. We were promptly and courteously shown to out table (NO 31). We were presented with menus which were typed out on A4 sheets of paper - they had Tea & Coffee stains on them. My friend found his seat to be very wobbly and we also noted the table somewhat wobbly - I have actually seen better being used at Car Boot Sales. When the waitress came to take order both table and chair were mentioned to her but her priority was to take order. My friend asked if we could move to a table in corner but this was reserved. Waitress said she would sort but never did. Our 4 main course meals whilst acceptable were nothing special for a 4* establishment. We ordered 4 deserts. One a sticky toffee pudding which my friends wife ordered had a very solid lump in middle and was inedible. She couldn't even cut through it with a knife and fork. My friend drew to attention of waitress who said she would mention to chef. We expected her to return with some form of explanation but she didn't. For some reason I am not sure of Tea or Coffee didn't seem to be on offer and our bill duly arrived. Sticky Toffee Pudding @ £4.75 was on bill so we brought to attention asking what Chef had said about it. Reply was 'He didn't think it was good enough'. We pointed out it was on bill. It was removed at this point. On the bill was a Bailey's Coffee which my friend ordered - It was charged at £5.35 whilst others on menu (Baileys Wasn't) were priced at £4.75. Queried but told that was price as LIqueurs were sometimes dearer than spirits. Tia Maria was £4.75 !!. When meal was finished and bill duly paid we decided to sit in Conservatory area I referred to at start. Area had just been vacated by wedding party who used it whilst room was being set up for evening do. Glasses etc that were left were not cleared until we ordered Tea/Coffee - table wasn't even wiped.. What was meant to be a pleasant chat over Tea/Coffee was ruined by the Racket coming from the wedding Evening do. I don't blame in any way the guests as they were there to enjoy a special day. The Hotel does not allow for both - two close together. I decided to check out seating in bar area at reception but found a singer with two large speakers and a music system giving it his all. The doors from this area into the evening do were open and again the racket was unbearable. The singer seemed to be trying to outdo the evening do - not a place for a quiet chat with friend so we left. I posted letter of complaint to Manager on Tuesday 6th May and it is now Thursday 22nd May - NO REPLY. This is supposed to be a 4* Hotel but based on our experience that night I would rate it 2* at best. To me NO REPLY means TOUGH. As I had suggested Dunadry I felt particularly bad about the whole experience. IF YOU REALLY MUST DINE HERE PLEASE CHECK OUT IF THERE IS WEDDING ON AT SAME TIME - IF THERE IS MY ADVISE WOULD BE TO PASS. REALLY DISAPPOINTED. What once was and still could be a really good Hotel has gone downhill.

Room Tip: Can't help as only dined there unfortunately.
3  Thank Mervyn C
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Spent three nights here last week. Normally stay Belfast city centre but due to Balmoral show and Indy200 the usual suspects were full. I stayed here at what was a reasonable rate for a '4*'. Location - about 20mins from Belfast City centre and is very quiet and peaceful. The hotel itself isn't bad but does need updating. According to the entrance area, it was established in 1966. Possibly and may have been updated c1980's. The brickwork wall effect and chintz kinda gives it away a little.
The room was comfortable enough apart from one night when a neighbouring guest had obviously left their bathroom light on and the fan ran for most of the night. It was quite audible in my room and annoying
Staff are pleasant enough apart from a rather frosty welcome at check-in.
Breakfast is hearty enough, although I have tasted better in lesser graded establishments. That along with Christmas tunes belting out the PA at 7am is a bit off putting...It is nearly summer you know.
Would I return here? Wouldn't be my first choice, but wouldn't have an issue if there were no alternatives

Room Tip: Go for an upgraded room if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank stene
Reviewed 16 May 2014

spent a night at this hotel recently and honestly found it a pleasant experience. Okay it needs a make over and some T L C but i found the staff pleasant and eager to please,the room was airy and bright and the bed first class. Not sure about the brickwork wall effect but some might find it tasteful.My food was quite tasty although my companions were slightly disappointed with their portions(small) the hotel as i said is in need of some refurbishment not a four star in its present condition but nevertheless plenty to like about it

1  Thank weecleo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunadry
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club
#2 of 2 in Templepatrick
Corrs Corner Hotel
Corrs Corner Hotel
#1 of 3 in Newtownabbey

Been to Dunadry Hotel? Share your experiences!