The only redeeming feature of this hotel is the location - ideal for Kos Town.
The hotel itself is cramped and the 2 bed apartment we had was small and dingy, despite the brilliant sunshine outside. The small balcony looked out onto a wall on one side and a hotel walkway on the other - the only use it got for the whole of our stay was a smoking area for my daughter.
There was an airconditioning unit in each of the bedrooms but one didn't work and so one room was OK and the other was very hot - we complained to the hotel on no fewer than 5 occasions and I got the impression they were trying to tell me I was lucky one was working!
The photograph of the hotel showed an impressive pool, in fact for some reason I thought there were two pools but in reality the camera angle has done all the work - in fact the pool is very small and would accommodate more than a few people at a time - absolute waste of time.
The cleanliness of the place left a lot to be desired - all our towels were gray and one of them had some unsavory green stains - I took it to reception and the girl eventually changed it, which was good, but unfortunately the same towel appeared in my room three days later! Yuk!!
But the real problem with this hotel is the noise. A Scandinavian travel company called Appollo use the hotel as a dumping ground for large groups of late teen/early 20s young Norwegian and Sweedish people to stay, get absolutely hammered and then have parties in each other's rooms. They also seemed to go into town at midnight and then return between 2 and 6 in the morning. If they could just come back and go to bed there wouldn't be a problem, but they insisted on standing in the corridors (which echoed really badly) to talk, shout and laugh before banging on each others doors. We even had one drunk girl banging on our door and when we opened it she tried to walk into our apartment!!!
We made several complaints to the hotel but very little was done and this behaviour persisted throughout our 5 night stay. Its coming to something when your first purchase on holiday is a set of earplugs for everyone from the nearest pharmacy.
Had the hotel been quiet it would have been bearable but with the noise, which was throughout the day and night, we dreaded returning to the hotel, and when we did it was for a quick shower, change and then back out again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- smartline Philippion is a small and charming hotel. The hotel is perfect for couples and families who want to stay close to the beach without having to lose the proximity to nightlife and numerous entertainment opportunities in the city. There are two restaurants and two bars at the hotel, and numerous taverns, restaurants and cafés nearby. For those who just want to relax under the sun, the hotel offers a nice pool area. smartline Philippion houses 99 modern and comfortable rooms and apartments distributed over 4 floors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your smartline Philippion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Philippion Hotel Kos Town
- Smartline Philippion Kos/Kos Town