“Great to stay”

Pelagos Suites Hotel
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Kos Town
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Very nice hotel. We stayed in the new rooms which they sell as suites. Very nice.
If you stay with kids ask a room away from the pool as they do Karaoke till sometimes very late.
The pool is beyond excellent for young children. Our youngest (14 months) could walk her selves into the pool and sit on the side as this was very shallow. Food is ok. Nothing special,but for Greek standards acceptable. Beds where about even better than home (and we have Tempure beds at home).
Suites where new and I think that if they do it the Greek way they will get poorer by the year due to no mainainance.
They were building a new Spa.
Close to Kos city. Easy to do by bike. Bike and car rental is like 20 minutes walk from the hotel (Kos city direction) and way cheaper than in the hotel.

Room Tip: Away fromthe pool if you have children that want to sleep at 21:00 o'clock
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Stocktipper
There are newer reviews for Pelagos Suites Hotel

Reviewed 22 July 2011

We had a wonderful week 23-30 June 2011, our first overseas holiday with our two young boys. Pelagos provides a great mix of high quality service in a total relaxing environment. All the staff were very friendly throughout. The main restaurant was buffet service with a high quality selection similar to what you would expect to see in a high quality international hotel. Fab pool, although a little cold. Our 4yr old loved the Aqua Gym and particularly being an assistant to the animation team – thanks Tessa! We stayed in a family suite in the new area which was fantastic, very modern, contemporary style with daily maid service.
We had a fantastic holiday, we loved it and looking to return next year!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank Wayne4343
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The new part of the hotel is amazing! It's very modern, trendy. The swimmingpool is very nice! The hotel is located near a beach. The food is amazing, there is a lot of outside space to eat, but inside it's sometimes a little small. The rooms were clean an spacious.
Next year, the hotel is planning to build an aquapark near the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank nathalievb
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Booked from direct holidays website as the pelagos was described as small and quiet just what we wanted. I became a bit worried when I began reading reviews describing building work and expansion as we are not fans of huge complexes.
We arrived around 10pm and after a swift check in by a lady who spoke fluent english we were escorted to our room. The guy who took us to our room was very helpful showing us where everything was and how everything worked even down to the hairdryer he also told us we were in the old part but we had full use of all the facilities in the new area.
We were initially a little disappointed that our room didn't have a balcony or view as such and the terrace was a shared one however the comfort and cleanliness of the room was more important. One advantage of these lower rooms was that it did remain cool all day and the terrace got late evening sun and they were so quiet at night indeed it was the first holiday ever that I got 7 good nights undisturbed sleep!!
Apparantly if you book with the thomas cook group you will get one of the older rooms not one of the swish new ones.The self catering facilities were ok for snacks but cooking full meals would be pretty tricky.The bathroom was excellent with a bath, shower and no restriction on flushing excellent for greece. The towels were pristine white and changed daily. The beds were fairly firm with spotless white sheets changed midweek. Rooms were serviced daily by the lovely cheerful maid.
The new complex was truly breathtaking and finished to a very high standard, pools huge and surrounded by lovely rattan loungers with cushions. The resteraunt is surrounde by flowing water and tables look to float looked lovely on a night when all lit up. We were room only basis so can't comment on the food. We did however eat at the new italian resteraunt which was delightful, delicious food reasonably priced, starters main course and a carafe of wine for two for around 32 euros. The new pool bar served snacks during the day again reasonably priced but beware portions were gigantic!
The other guests seemed to be mainly dutch and german not many english voices to be heard all week.
The pool in the old part was lovely and quiet as the families prefered to use the new pools so it was a haven of peace and tranquility but just a few steps away from the faster pace of the new area.
The little shop on the complex was handy but there is a little supermarket just outside that is a little cheaper with a wider range and run by a lovely friendly couple.
Be sure to do the trip to nyssiross and go up into the volcano crater an experince not to be missed.
The only couple of downsides to the pelagos is it is a good 45 minute stroll to kos harbour, not a problem if you enjoy an evening stroll as we do, in fact this was a factor in us choosing pelagos, the problem was the number of bikes [think amsterdam] and the fact that they seemed think they had priority over walkers so you were constantly dodging our european neighbours which marred an otherwise nice walk.
The other downside was we were unable to have a late check out but were offered a basement room for 40 euros a little steep as we would only have used it to shower and make a coffee before we left. On asking if there was a curtesy room to shower in before leaving we were told we would have to use the shower in the poolside toilets and no there was no facilities to use a hairdryer not ideal when leaving for a late night flight and i would have thought such a new upmarket complex would have that covered.
All in all the pelagos was amazing wouldnt hesitate to recommend and would love to return.

Room Tip: e-mail in advance to get a room with a view
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
16  Thank di1310
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Stayed with family at the Pelagos Suites Hotel 30 September - 7 October. We had the older style rooms near to the main pool.

As other reviewers have said the pool areas at the Pelagos Suites Hotel are excellent. They look very beautiful and, at all times during our stay, were relatively empty. There are some classy "beach huts" along one side of the pool which can be hired for EUR30 a day. This includes some drinks, Satellite tv and private patio area.

Also in the grounds of the hotel was a lovely little chapel. If you do take a look inside you will be greated with an amazing site of beautiful paintings, treasures and artifacts. It's a bit like a tardis as it looks tiny on the outside.

The hote room had 3 beds (one of which was a settee/bed), small kitchen area, table with 2 chairs, wardrobe, 2 x bedside chests, dressing table/mirror area and armchair. The bathroom was quite good and had complimentary toiletries. Plenty of storage space and drawers for luggage. There was also a balcony.

Good points of the hotel had to be the pool areas and general appearance of the hotel. The design is lovely and quite deceiving from the outside and the outdated photos in the holiday brochures/website.

Another plus was the breakfast in the restaurant. Ample choice of hot and cold dishes, sweet and savory including pastries, fresh and dried fruit and nuts, various jams and compotes, selection of breads, sausages, bacon, eggs, cheese, ham etc etc.

Staff were efficient and helpful particularly on the reception.

We ate in the restaurant on 3 mornings and 2 evenings. Generally the food was good but of the quality expected at an International hotel. One evening meal was very pleasant with a chinese theme.

Free wi-fi at the hotel was a nice touch although the service was patchy and only really worked properly around the large pool, restaurant and new suites area. In my room it didn't work at all.

Bad points. The hotel sells itself as 4 star and some of the guests acted a bit "snooty". In the restaurant my son and I were made to feel very unwelcome. I felt some of the hotel guests expected no children at the hotel. The frowns and tuts were audible and spoilt my evening. :( Having holidayed in Kos for many years I found this most unusual as I had never experienced this sort of reaction before. The other guests (mostly Dutch) who had children were very friendly.

Beds in the hotel were very hard and I woke with an aching back and shoulder every morning.

Hotel "Entertainment" noise was not much of an issue. Only on one evening could I hear it from my room. The music stopped prompty at midnight though so it wasn't really a problem.

The last negative point for me was the location. The hotel is at least 45 minute walk into Kos Town. I prefer to be closer. The distance wasn't the only issue. The area where the Pelagos is located is round the corner from Lambi on the main coastal road. The wind really got up when turning the corner. Sometimes on the beach although the sun was out and it was really warm I was shivering from the breeze. Around the pool it was much better being sheltered. But the wind put me off using the beach sunbeds.

There is a bus stop outside the hotel for the service into Kos Town. The bus runs every 1/2 hour in peak season and hourly otherwise. It was very cheap at only EUR1 each (children free). The bus was the no.2. Don't do as we did one day and take the other bus no.4 from Kos Town. This takes you almost all the way to Tingaki before coming back to Lambi. A journey of 5 minutes turned into 25!

Taxi into town was EUR7 one way. To hire a bike was only EUR 4 per day and that would definitely be my preferred way of travel. The little side roads around the hotel are quiet and ideal for the novice cyclist. Just keep over when the coaches/buses come by to be safe.

We heard the Pelagos is due to expand greatly during 2011. Apparently there will be over 1000 rooms in total. So if you like big hotels it might be a good choice. Personally I think I'll stick to the "small and friendly" where "friendly" really does mean a good welcome.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank MiaG
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Our first impressions of the Pelagos were wow - what an incredible place! After seeing some of the other crummy hotels others were dropped off at, we were delighted! We were whisked away on a golf buggy to our room and the security guard (who was very professional indeed) showed us where everything was and helped us with the air con. The outside of the hotel and the grounds looked nothing like the brochure or website this was much better than expected and we were told two new pools had just been opened. These were really modern and minimalist and really much better than the website photos for this hotel. I can honestly say I have been to a number of 4 and 5 star hotels in the last few years in Greece and the Canaries and this pool was just fantastic -the best we have experienced. Maybe it only seemed this way because the hotel was also half empty in mid September. Whatever it was, there was absolutely no problem whatsoever getting a sunbed, in fact you could sit where you liked more or less. This is important to us, as is privacy and we felt we got it most of the time. One of the smaller pools was we noticed, empty all morning one day, no one around it at all. We decided to go there the next day and there were about six people sitting around it all day something I have never experienced! Fantastic! If peace and quiet is for you, I would recommend going mid September. We were told it was busier in August so I am imagine it is not always this quiet, nevertheless it was really relaxing and it also meant you could have a lie in! It made it a very relaxing holiday indeed. Don’t get me wrong, the main pool (which was the best with Jacuzzi, bar and double sunbeds) was still fairly busy but still, no problem getting a lounger at all and definitely no need to leave for people to reserve them thankfully which is the first time I have ever gone on holiday and not had to put up with this silly practice.
We arrived at night and the pool bar was all lit up and in the water there are underwater lights which keep changing colour with some tables and chairs in the water. It was really impressive and I am not one to be easily impressed these days! I tried to take photos of the pool at night but they did not do it justice and looked nothing like the place. It was really spectacular we thought.
The room was not so great – not terrible you understand, just not great and we have had better 4 star rooms. It was just a place to crash. No English channels. It did have a good hairdryer though, free safe and aircon so that was good. To keep our room on until 8pm we paid fifty Euros but got no fresh towels or anything for that. It would have been thirty to keep it on until 6pm, just 2 hours earlier. We had to ask for bowls as there were none, but they were sent straight away to our room. The microwave oven was too high for me to reach and I am only slightly smaller than average so it would have been hard for many to use. The studio was so small that if we sat at the table we were squashed in. You get what you pay for I know but just to warn you. On booking with Thomson we also put in 3 requests (which are never guaranteed I know) for a quiet room on a high floor with a double bed. We got twin beds (beds were hard I thought) and worse thing was we got a room right next to the bar entertainment which was on the ground floor which frankly could not have been any noisier for us if they had tried! Being cynical I wondered if this was deliberate so we would ask to upgrade. Who knows? We were told on arrival we could move but once we had unpacked we did not bother. We never saw a Thompson rep the whole time we just got a phone number and the bus was over an hour late picking us up from the airport so standards seem to have slipped there a bit!
The staff are great, really fantastic although there was one very young girl at the main pool bar with auburn hair who was a bit sarky with me and other than telling me to "smile" one day barely spoke a word to me. She was always extremely friendly to my husband however. By the end of the holiday I was finding this tiresome and quite disrespectful. The other bar staff were great, they were much more professional and always had a wave and a smile.
Food options by the pool –nothing healthy really and you get huge portions but it is delicious! I put on half a stone in a week.
I can’t really say I though much of Kos Town. It’s a 50 minute walk to get there which did not bother us at all. It was blisteringly hot even in mid-September so it took even longer then. Just follow the bike path all the way and you get to the harbour. The harbour is actually quite small. Unfortunately, we were not keen on Kos Town itself. We did not feel was anything special, we felt we had been to a lot of places in the last few years which in my opinion are nicer. I would not go back to Kos therefore I would not return to the Pelagos, if anyone did want to go however, I can say this is definitely the place to stay – it saved our holiday from being a disaster. We thought that Kos Town was small and very crowded and so we did not go there much. There were a lot of bikes and they did not always stick to the bike paths. I tried to like the place, I really did. It was much smaller than I expected. The shops were tackier than I had expected too. I’d heard it was very pretty, but we have definitely been to nicer places in Greece. The food was average for Greece, very nice but we struggled to find an outstanding romantic restaurant. We found one restaurant the Sunset on the way into town which was quite nice. The B52 bar nearby on the way in does really nice cocktails for 3 Euros in happy hour until 10pm and they are great! Around the harbour area you can pay around 7 Euros for the same drink but to be honest it was noisy, trashy and a bit scruffy to be honest – sorry, that’s just our opinion! There is a McDonalds in town which is always crawling with kids and rubbish which just made the town feel seem downmarket and tacky. Staying at the Pelagos really did save this holiday from being a disaster and made it special because it was a beautiful relaxing pool experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DiscerningG66
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We stayed in Pelagos Suites Hotel for a week, early October. We were positively surprised by the high quality of service of all staff, as well as the quality of Pelagos' restaurant. As one other reviewer mentioned, the food in the restaurant is better than the average when you go into town for dinner (we went to town 4 out of 7 nights).
Service was of a very high standard, especially for Europe. Staff was quick to assist and very friendly without exception.
The suite with private pool is very nice too, great decoration, comfortable bed and bathroom, nice pool (althoug very cold when we were there). Great value for money considering the little premium on the price.
For going into town, we enjoyed the bikes we rented, as practical way of getting around. Also make sure to pay a visit IDEAL snackbar and grill in Kos town for great food and service.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Agios Fokas
Kos Aktis Art Hotel
Kos Aktis Art Hotel
#8 of 48 in Kos Town

Been to Pelagos Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!