“Best pool area to date -ever!”

Pelagos Suites Hotel
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Kos Town
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Our first impressions of the Pelagos were wow - what an incredible place! After seeing some of the other crummy hotels others were dropped off at, we were delighted! We were whisked away on a golf buggy to our room and the security guard (who was very professional indeed) showed us where everything was and helped us with the air con. The outside of the hotel and the grounds looked nothing like the brochure or website this was much better than expected and we were told two new pools had just been opened. These were really modern and minimalist and really much better than the website photos for this hotel. I can honestly say I have been to a number of 4 and 5 star hotels in the last few years in Greece and the Canaries and this pool was just fantastic -the best we have experienced. Maybe it only seemed this way because the hotel was also half empty in mid September. Whatever it was, there was absolutely no problem whatsoever getting a sunbed, in fact you could sit where you liked more or less. This is important to us, as is privacy and we felt we got it most of the time. One of the smaller pools was we noticed, empty all morning one day, no one around it at all. We decided to go there the next day and there were about six people sitting around it all day something I have never experienced! Fantastic! If peace and quiet is for you, I would recommend going mid September. We were told it was busier in August so I am imagine it is not always this quiet, nevertheless it was really relaxing and it also meant you could have a lie in! It made it a very relaxing holiday indeed. Don’t get me wrong, the main pool (which was the best with Jacuzzi, bar and double sunbeds) was still fairly busy but still, no problem getting a lounger at all and definitely no need to leave for people to reserve them thankfully which is the first time I have ever gone on holiday and not had to put up with this silly practice.
We arrived at night and the pool bar was all lit up and in the water there are underwater lights which keep changing colour with some tables and chairs in the water. It was really impressive and I am not one to be easily impressed these days! I tried to take photos of the pool at night but they did not do it justice and looked nothing like the place. It was really spectacular we thought.
The room was not so great – not terrible you understand, just not great and we have had better 4 star rooms. It was just a place to crash. No English channels. It did have a good hairdryer though, free safe and aircon so that was good. To keep our room on until 8pm we paid fifty Euros but got no fresh towels or anything for that. It would have been thirty to keep it on until 6pm, just 2 hours earlier. We had to ask for bowls as there were none, but they were sent straight away to our room. The microwave oven was too high for me to reach and I am only slightly smaller than average so it would have been hard for many to use. The studio was so small that if we sat at the table we were squashed in. You get what you pay for I know but just to warn you. On booking with Thomson we also put in 3 requests (which are never guaranteed I know) for a quiet room on a high floor with a double bed. We got twin beds (beds were hard I thought) and worse thing was we got a room right next to the bar entertainment which was on the ground floor which frankly could not have been any noisier for us if they had tried! Being cynical I wondered if this was deliberate so we would ask to upgrade. Who knows? We were told on arrival we could move but once we had unpacked we did not bother. We never saw a Thompson rep the whole time we just got a phone number and the bus was over an hour late picking us up from the airport so standards seem to have slipped there a bit!
The staff are great, really fantastic although there was one very young girl at the main pool bar with auburn hair who was a bit sarky with me and other than telling me to "smile" one day barely spoke a word to me. She was always extremely friendly to my husband however. By the end of the holiday I was finding this tiresome and quite disrespectful. The other bar staff were great, they were much more professional and always had a wave and a smile.
Food options by the pool –nothing healthy really and you get huge portions but it is delicious! I put on half a stone in a week.
I can’t really say I though much of Kos Town. It’s a 50 minute walk to get there which did not bother us at all. It was blisteringly hot even in mid-September so it took even longer then. Just follow the bike path all the way and you get to the harbour. The harbour is actually quite small. Unfortunately, we were not keen on Kos Town itself. We did not feel was anything special, we felt we had been to a lot of places in the last few years which in my opinion are nicer. I would not go back to Kos therefore I would not return to the Pelagos, if anyone did want to go however, I can say this is definitely the place to stay – it saved our holiday from being a disaster. We thought that Kos Town was small and very crowded and so we did not go there much. There were a lot of bikes and they did not always stick to the bike paths. I tried to like the place, I really did. It was much smaller than I expected. The shops were tackier than I had expected too. I’d heard it was very pretty, but we have definitely been to nicer places in Greece. The food was average for Greece, very nice but we struggled to find an outstanding romantic restaurant. We found one restaurant the Sunset on the way into town which was quite nice. The B52 bar nearby on the way in does really nice cocktails for 3 Euros in happy hour until 10pm and they are great! Around the harbour area you can pay around 7 Euros for the same drink but to be honest it was noisy, trashy and a bit scruffy to be honest – sorry, that’s just our opinion! There is a McDonalds in town which is always crawling with kids and rubbish which just made the town feel seem downmarket and tacky. Staying at the Pelagos really did save this holiday from being a disaster and made it special because it was a beautiful relaxing pool experience.

2  Thank DiscerningG66
There are newer reviews for Pelagos Suites Hotel

Reviewed 17 October 2010

We stayed in Pelagos Suites Hotel for a week, early October. We were positively surprised by the high quality of service of all staff, as well as the quality of Pelagos' restaurant. As one other reviewer mentioned, the food in the restaurant is better than the average when you go into town for dinner (we went to town 4 out of 7 nights).
Service was of a very high standard, especially for Europe. Staff was quick to assist and very friendly without exception.
The suite with private pool is very nice too, great decoration, comfortable bed and bathroom, nice pool (althoug very cold when we were there). Great value for money considering the little premium on the price.
For going into town, we enjoyed the bikes we rented, as practical way of getting around. Also make sure to pay a visit IDEAL snackbar and grill in Kos town for great food and service.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mfokkelman
Reviewed 7 October 2010

was greeted by the night porter who took our bags and ourselves to our room on a golf buggy, showed us all round the apartment and all its facilities,,,then took my girls of a buggy tour of the complex which they loved.
the apartment was so lovely and the complex far exceded our expectations, it was so luxurious.
we didnt have to hire cots for the baby everything was in place for us on arrival. nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff. all this for a self catering holiday!
the food was excellent and again the resaurant staff were brilliant with the baby.
Although a bit remote there was a 5 min bus ride into Kos town where there was so much history in the town and beautiful harbour.
We usually go to the canaries or balearics but found the people of Kos so much more welcoming and friendly and truly took a pride in everything they do.......definately going back!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank thrnss
Reviewed 7 October 2010

we arrived at the pelagos suites and myself my husband and children all thought wow!! from checking in, to the bar, waiters, animation and other staff they made us feel special and more than welcome, any thing we needed was there. the rooms was so roomy and clean and had more than enough appliances. they was cleaned every day with fresh towels. the staff in the bar bringing food and drinks were very pleasent and the food and drinks were great. the meals in the evening restaurant were also fabulous with a great variety to choose from every night it was very varied. the pool area was out of this world with 3 swimming pools comfortable sun loungers and drapes and cushions scattered all over. the town of kos is only a 5 minute bus journey away with a vibrant nightlife and good restaurants. all in all this hotel its staff and its surroundings are out of this world and well worth a visit for a relaxing holiday. we will definately be going back here.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank NottinghamLisa_dean
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Just returned from an 11 day stay at this fabulous hotel. After being delayed on the trip out (thanks Easyjet) arrived tired and grumpy but all changed on pulling into the hotel. Given a personal (buggy facilitated) brief tour on arrival in the small hours and what a fabulous place! Three great swimming pools to choose from, rooms very well appointed. Staff amazingly friendly and helpful (even to the point of Mahmoud the security manager giving us a lift in his car to town as a favour!).

I have rated the hotel 5/5 except for location (beach is there but not fantastic and sleep quality because we were at the end of the hotel and there was a noisy cockerel just over the road!) Neither of these would deter me from returning!

Also, hotel is right on the bus route so an easy 1 euro 5 min trip to Kos town where there are an array of bars, restaurants, shops etc to visit.

Also, the owners are building a sister hotel (also 5*) just down the road slightly closer to Kos town that should be open at the end of this year - that's a must for the next visit!

1  Thank Nick J
Reviewed 1 October 2010

We visited the Pelagos hotel towards the end of September where the weather was a constant 28 degrees which was perfect for us, at this time of year the hotel and resort in general was fairly quiet which is just the way we like it as we hate having to fight over sunbeds and queue for restaurants etc.

The hotel itself was fab, the pools were a really good size for the complex and the communal areas have all been beautifully designed and there was plenty of space for relaxing. I'm a bit of a stickler for cleanliness and was really impressed by how clean everything was, I even commented to my husband that in the entire week we stayed there I never saw a single leaf in the pool! The staff were all fantastic, really helpful and friendly.

We got the bus into Kos town a few times which was very reasonable at 1 euro each way with the bus stop being just outside the hotel and running fairly frequently particularly on an evening (although beware the bus does go a different way on it's return jouney which meant we missed our stop the first time, not really a problem since the end of the line is only a couple of minutes past the hotel so we just stayed on until it went back past the hotel again!) .

The only problem we had with the hotel was the bed, we had booked an apartment with a double bed and were allocated a room in the original part of the hotel (it has recently been extended), now I like a nice firm bed but it was so hard that even I struggled and after a couple of days my husband and I took to sleeping in the living room (he on the sofa, me on the spare bed), luckily for us the air conditioning started leaking towards the end of the holiday and caused water to pool on the floor, we asked to move and were offered a room in the new part of the building and once we saw it we raced back to our room and had our stuff packed away in minutes ready for the swap, not only was the bed a million times more comfortable but we didn't suffer the same problem with noise which we had in the previous room (the lady in the apartment above ours liked to rise very early in the morning and seemed to enjoy scraping furniture around on the tiled floor and shouting at the top of her voice). I know there's nothing the hotel could have done about this and it's just the luck of the draw who you get as neighbours but I did think the new room had better noise-reducing measures.

Oh and I nearly forgot, the breakfast was fab, the was something for everyone. We only ate at the hotel restaurant one evening on "Mediterranean night" and it was delicious and really good value when compared with elsewhere with a 3 course buffet for 14 euros (excluding drinks).

1  Thank Kitty999
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Just back from a short one week break at the Pelagos suites, booked through Thomas Cook(more about them later) last minute, booked Wed flew Fri. First impressions are of a large sprawling complex, mostly 2 or 3 storey apartments, though the ground floor seems to to be partly underground. Ours were on the 1st floor, long rectangular rooms with a well equipped bathroom to the front. Two large single beds, very comfortable, on the firm side, two sofas, TV with no english channels apart from CNN business, but who comes to Kos to watch TV?A small kitchenette OK for making cups of tea but not much else, two hotplates, microwave, fridge and kettle. Free air con, usually pay for this in greece.
Outside is a very large pool about 1.8m at its deepest, never got full even at the busiest times, though sun loungers are a towels at dawn job to get one from the dutch, who are probaly the biggest nationality on site, very friendly people though.
Good poolbar serving excellent food through the day, Bill is a good laugh always a witty comment.
There are several other pools throughout the complex, and building work is going on at a pace for further upgrades, though there was very little noise from the work.
We had gone self catering, but tried the resturant for evening meals, how good well after the first night in kos town, we never went anywhere else it was that good.
Always a different selection every night with alternative themes, Chinese, Italian, etc. Excellent sweets, came back a few pounds heavier.
Look out for Emma, very friendly and helpful.
Night time entertainment was pretty good with a few travelling acts mid week, one called Mike I think from Newcastle was very good did covers of all the guitar legends.
Now for the bad bits all Thomas Cook, the flight in to Kos was diverted to Rhodes because of fog, where we were kept in the airport arrivals for 6 hours before any told anything, meanwhile the plane that bought us fueled up and took of back to the uk. We eventually got taken to hotel for lunch then bought back. Had to go back through passport control, collect our suitcases which had been stacked outside the airport terminal on the path with nobody looking after them, talk about security!
Got checked in again told the plan,e a 747 chartered from spain would be taking of at 4.00pm, got into depatures, plane now taking off at 7.30pm!
Eventually got hotel at 10.30pm, 17 hrs late and guess what travel insurance does not cover late arrival just late departure.
Like everyone else says if you are over 6` pay the £15 and get the door seats, you will be glad you did.
Spoiled the start of the Holiday but soon got over it at a great hotel.
Definitly worth a return but probaly not with Thomas Cook.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Agios Fokas
Kos Aktis Art Hotel
Kos Aktis Art Hotel
#8 of 48 in Kos Town

Been to Pelagos Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!