“Nice pools, good breakfast, average rooms, very windy location.”

Pelagos Suites Hotel
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Kos Town
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Stayed with family at the Pelagos Suites Hotel 30 September - 7 October. We had the older style rooms near to the main pool.

As other reviewers have said the pool areas at the Pelagos Suites Hotel are excellent. They look very beautiful and, at all times during our stay, were relatively empty. There are some classy "beach huts" along one side of the pool which can be hired for EUR30 a day. This includes some drinks, Satellite tv and private patio area.

Also in the grounds of the hotel was a lovely little chapel. If you do take a look inside you will be greated with an amazing site of beautiful paintings, treasures and artifacts. It's a bit like a tardis as it looks tiny on the outside.

The hote room had 3 beds (one of which was a settee/bed), small kitchen area, table with 2 chairs, wardrobe, 2 x bedside chests, dressing table/mirror area and armchair. The bathroom was quite good and had complimentary toiletries. Plenty of storage space and drawers for luggage. There was also a balcony.

Good points of the hotel had to be the pool areas and general appearance of the hotel. The design is lovely and quite deceiving from the outside and the outdated photos in the holiday brochures/website.

Another plus was the breakfast in the restaurant. Ample choice of hot and cold dishes, sweet and savory including pastries, fresh and dried fruit and nuts, various jams and compotes, selection of breads, sausages, bacon, eggs, cheese, ham etc etc.

Staff were efficient and helpful particularly on the reception.

We ate in the restaurant on 3 mornings and 2 evenings. Generally the food was good but of the quality expected at an International hotel. One evening meal was very pleasant with a chinese theme.

Free wi-fi at the hotel was a nice touch although the service was patchy and only really worked properly around the large pool, restaurant and new suites area. In my room it didn't work at all.

Bad points. The hotel sells itself as 4 star and some of the guests acted a bit "snooty". In the restaurant my son and I were made to feel very unwelcome. I felt some of the hotel guests expected no children at the hotel. The frowns and tuts were audible and spoilt my evening. :( Having holidayed in Kos for many years I found this most unusual as I had never experienced this sort of reaction before. The other guests (mostly Dutch) who had children were very friendly.

Beds in the hotel were very hard and I woke with an aching back and shoulder every morning.

Hotel "Entertainment" noise was not much of an issue. Only on one evening could I hear it from my room. The music stopped prompty at midnight though so it wasn't really a problem.

The last negative point for me was the location. The hotel is at least 45 minute walk into Kos Town. I prefer to be closer. The distance wasn't the only issue. The area where the Pelagos is located is round the corner from Lambi on the main coastal road. The wind really got up when turning the corner. Sometimes on the beach although the sun was out and it was really warm I was shivering from the breeze. Around the pool it was much better being sheltered. But the wind put me off using the beach sunbeds.

There is a bus stop outside the hotel for the service into Kos Town. The bus runs every 1/2 hour in peak season and hourly otherwise. It was very cheap at only EUR1 each (children free). The bus was the no.2. Don't do as we did one day and take the other bus no.4 from Kos Town. This takes you almost all the way to Tingaki before coming back to Lambi. A journey of 5 minutes turned into 25!

Taxi into town was EUR7 one way. To hire a bike was only EUR 4 per day and that would definitely be my preferred way of travel. The little side roads around the hotel are quiet and ideal for the novice cyclist. Just keep over when the coaches/buses come by to be safe.

We heard the Pelagos is due to expand greatly during 2011. Apparently there will be over 1000 rooms in total. So if you like big hotels it might be a good choice. Personally I think I'll stick to the "small and friendly" where "friendly" really does mean a good welcome.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank MiaG

Reviewed 19 October 2010

Our first impressions of the Pelagos were wow - what an incredible place! After seeing some of the other crummy hotels others were dropped off at, we were delighted! We were whisked away on a golf buggy to our room and the security guard (who was very professional indeed) showed us where everything was and helped us with the air con. The outside of the hotel and the grounds looked nothing like the brochure or website this was much better than expected and we were told two new pools had just been opened. These were really modern and minimalist and really much better than the website photos for this hotel. I can honestly say I have been to a number of 4 and 5 star hotels in the last few years in Greece and the Canaries and this pool was just fantastic -the best we have experienced. Maybe it only seemed this way because the hotel was also half empty in mid September. Whatever it was, there was absolutely no problem whatsoever getting a sunbed, in fact you could sit where you liked more or less. This is important to us, as is privacy and we felt we got it most of the time. One of the smaller pools was we noticed, empty all morning one day, no one around it at all. We decided to go there the next day and there were about six people sitting around it all day something I have never experienced! Fantastic! If peace and quiet is for you, I would recommend going mid September. We were told it was busier in August so I am imagine it is not always this quiet, nevertheless it was really relaxing and it also meant you could have a lie in! It made it a very relaxing holiday indeed. Don’t get me wrong, the main pool (which was the best with Jacuzzi, bar and double sunbeds) was still fairly busy but still, no problem getting a lounger at all and definitely no need to leave for people to reserve them thankfully which is the first time I have ever gone on holiday and not had to put up with this silly practice.
We arrived at night and the pool bar was all lit up and in the water there are underwater lights which keep changing colour with some tables and chairs in the water. It was really impressive and I am not one to be easily impressed these days! I tried to take photos of the pool at night but they did not do it justice and looked nothing like the place. It was really spectacular we thought.
The room was not so great – not terrible you understand, just not great and we have had better 4 star rooms. It was just a place to crash. No English channels. It did have a good hairdryer though, free safe and aircon so that was good. To keep our room on until 8pm we paid fifty Euros but got no fresh towels or anything for that. It would have been thirty to keep it on until 6pm, just 2 hours earlier. We had to ask for bowls as there were none, but they were sent straight away to our room. The microwave oven was too high for me to reach and I am only slightly smaller than average so it would have been hard for many to use. The studio was so small that if we sat at the table we were squashed in. You get what you pay for I know but just to warn you. On booking with Thomson we also put in 3 requests (which are never guaranteed I know) for a quiet room on a high floor with a double bed. We got twin beds (beds were hard I thought) and worse thing was we got a room right next to the bar entertainment which was on the ground floor which frankly could not have been any noisier for us if they had tried! Being cynical I wondered if this was deliberate so we would ask to upgrade. Who knows? We were told on arrival we could move but once we had unpacked we did not bother. We never saw a Thompson rep the whole time we just got a phone number and the bus was over an hour late picking us up from the airport so standards seem to have slipped there a bit!
The staff are great, really fantastic although there was one very young girl at the main pool bar with auburn hair who was a bit sarky with me and other than telling me to "smile" one day barely spoke a word to me. She was always extremely friendly to my husband however. By the end of the holiday I was finding this tiresome and quite disrespectful. The other bar staff were great, they were much more professional and always had a wave and a smile.
Food options by the pool –nothing healthy really and you get huge portions but it is delicious! I put on half a stone in a week.
I can’t really say I though much of Kos Town. It’s a 50 minute walk to get there which did not bother us at all. It was blisteringly hot even in mid-September so it took even longer then. Just follow the bike path all the way and you get to the harbour. The harbour is actually quite small. Unfortunately, we were not keen on Kos Town itself. We did not feel was anything special, we felt we had been to a lot of places in the last few years which in my opinion are nicer. I would not go back to Kos therefore I would not return to the Pelagos, if anyone did want to go however, I can say this is definitely the place to stay – it saved our holiday from being a disaster. We thought that Kos Town was small and very crowded and so we did not go there much. There were a lot of bikes and they did not always stick to the bike paths. I tried to like the place, I really did. It was much smaller than I expected. The shops were tackier than I had expected too. I’d heard it was very pretty, but we have definitely been to nicer places in Greece. The food was average for Greece, very nice but we struggled to find an outstanding romantic restaurant. We found one restaurant the Sunset on the way into town which was quite nice. The B52 bar nearby on the way in does really nice cocktails for 3 Euros in happy hour until 10pm and they are great! Around the harbour area you can pay around 7 Euros for the same drink but to be honest it was noisy, trashy and a bit scruffy to be honest – sorry, that’s just our opinion! There is a McDonalds in town which is always crawling with kids and rubbish which just made the town feel seem downmarket and tacky. Staying at the Pelagos really did save this holiday from being a disaster and made it special because it was a beautiful relaxing pool experience.

2  Thank DiscerningG66
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We stayed in Pelagos Suites Hotel for a week, early October. We were positively surprised by the high quality of service of all staff, as well as the quality of Pelagos' restaurant. As one other reviewer mentioned, the food in the restaurant is better than the average when you go into town for dinner (we went to town 4 out of 7 nights).
Service was of a very high standard, especially for Europe. Staff was quick to assist and very friendly without exception.
The suite with private pool is very nice too, great decoration, comfortable bed and bathroom, nice pool (althoug very cold when we were there). Great value for money considering the little premium on the price.
For going into town, we enjoyed the bikes we rented, as practical way of getting around. Also make sure to pay a visit IDEAL snackbar and grill in Kos town for great food and service.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mfokkelman
Reviewed 7 October 2010

was greeted by the night porter who took our bags and ourselves to our room on a golf buggy, showed us all round the apartment and all its facilities,,,then took my girls of a buggy tour of the complex which they loved.
the apartment was so lovely and the complex far exceded our expectations, it was so luxurious.
we didnt have to hire cots for the baby everything was in place for us on arrival. nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff. all this for a self catering holiday!
the food was excellent and again the resaurant staff were brilliant with the baby.
Although a bit remote there was a 5 min bus ride into Kos town where there was so much history in the town and beautiful harbour.
We usually go to the canaries or balearics but found the people of Kos so much more welcoming and friendly and truly took a pride in everything they do.......definately going back!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank thrnss
Reviewed 7 October 2010

we arrived at the pelagos suites and myself my husband and children all thought wow!! from checking in, to the bar, waiters, animation and other staff they made us feel special and more than welcome, any thing we needed was there. the rooms was so roomy and clean and had more than enough appliances. they was cleaned every day with fresh towels. the staff in the bar bringing food and drinks were very pleasent and the food and drinks were great. the meals in the evening restaurant were also fabulous with a great variety to choose from every night it was very varied. the pool area was out of this world with 3 swimming pools comfortable sun loungers and drapes and cushions scattered all over. the town of kos is only a 5 minute bus journey away with a vibrant nightlife and good restaurants. all in all this hotel its staff and its surroundings are out of this world and well worth a visit for a relaxing holiday. we will definately be going back here.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank NottinghamLisa_dean
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Just returned from an 11 day stay at this fabulous hotel. After being delayed on the trip out (thanks Easyjet) arrived tired and grumpy but all changed on pulling into the hotel. Given a personal (buggy facilitated) brief tour on arrival in the small hours and what a fabulous place! Three great swimming pools to choose from, rooms very well appointed. Staff amazingly friendly and helpful (even to the point of Mahmoud the security manager giving us a lift in his car to town as a favour!).

I have rated the hotel 5/5 except for location (beach is there but not fantastic and sleep quality because we were at the end of the hotel and there was a noisy cockerel just over the road!) Neither of these would deter me from returning!

Also, hotel is right on the bus route so an easy 1 euro 5 min trip to Kos town where there are an array of bars, restaurants, shops etc to visit.

Also, the owners are building a sister hotel (also 5*) just down the road slightly closer to Kos town that should be open at the end of this year - that's a must for the next visit!

1  Thank Nick J
Reviewed 1 October 2010

We visited the Pelagos hotel towards the end of September where the weather was a constant 28 degrees which was perfect for us, at this time of year the hotel and resort in general was fairly quiet which is just the way we like it as we hate having to fight over sunbeds and queue for restaurants etc.

The hotel itself was fab, the pools were a really good size for the complex and the communal areas have all been beautifully designed and there was plenty of space for relaxing. I'm a bit of a stickler for cleanliness and was really impressed by how clean everything was, I even commented to my husband that in the entire week we stayed there I never saw a single leaf in the pool! The staff were all fantastic, really helpful and friendly.

We got the bus into Kos town a few times which was very reasonable at 1 euro each way with the bus stop being just outside the hotel and running fairly frequently particularly on an evening (although beware the bus does go a different way on it's return jouney which meant we missed our stop the first time, not really a problem since the end of the line is only a couple of minutes past the hotel so we just stayed on until it went back past the hotel again!) .

The only problem we had with the hotel was the bed, we had booked an apartment with a double bed and were allocated a room in the original part of the hotel (it has recently been extended), now I like a nice firm bed but it was so hard that even I struggled and after a couple of days my husband and I took to sleeping in the living room (he on the sofa, me on the spare bed), luckily for us the air conditioning started leaking towards the end of the holiday and caused water to pool on the floor, we asked to move and were offered a room in the new part of the building and once we saw it we raced back to our room and had our stuff packed away in minutes ready for the swap, not only was the bed a million times more comfortable but we didn't suffer the same problem with noise which we had in the previous room (the lady in the apartment above ours liked to rise very early in the morning and seemed to enjoy scraping furniture around on the tiled floor and shouting at the top of her voice). I know there's nothing the hotel could have done about this and it's just the luck of the draw who you get as neighbours but I did think the new room had better noise-reducing measures.

Oh and I nearly forgot, the breakfast was fab, the was something for everyone. We only ate at the hotel restaurant one evening on "Mediterranean night" and it was delicious and really good value when compared with elsewhere with a 3 course buffet for 14 euros (excluding drinks).

1  Thank Kitty999
Kipriotis Village Resort
Blue Lagoon Village
Blue Lagoon Village
#1 of 13 in Kefalos

Been to Pelagos Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!