“Not for those wanting a quiet break!”
Review of Anastasia Hotel

Anastasia Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Kos Town B&B and Inns
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Not for those wanting a quiet break!”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This hotel was at best, basic. The room was small, and the bathroom was tiny - You had to sit on the toilet at an angle (with your feet in the shower) becuase the sick over-hung the toilet! Accross from our room (across the pool area), were the self catering apartments which were popular with kids wanting to party. And did they party! We are by no means old farts (we're both early 30's), but the noise at night was horrific! Constant doors banging and echoing, music and shouting!

We booked bed and breakfast, and we situated in the main hotel above , overlooking the pool area and pool bar. Breakfast was the usual - toast, cereal, cheese, ham and juices. Nothing cooked.

The pool was nice (in the morning) and the pool bar was always well stocked and served lovely snacks, however in an afternoon the pool would become noisy and crowded with the youngsters when they crawled out of bed! No good for families with small children.

The location was great, only a few minutes walk to the harbour and the nightlife (hence why popular with kids), and there were some nice taverna style restaurants on the way.

The highlight for us was the Old Town of Kos, some amazing restaurants and market style shops - however, you have to walk past the lively bars to get to it!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toni T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2011

We stayed at this hotel in 2007, but this was not option for me to select.
Really happy that we stayed in Kos Town, as we hired a Quad and visited other resorts, which in comparison were poor.

The Hotel, was a short walk away from the harbour, and not too far away from the old town. Our room at the hotel was new, clean, and of a high standard for Greece. However we were in the new part of the hotel, and the old part is very poor.

We were offered a room for 1 hour, free of charge, for our late departure. Which is really good and not a service i have ever been offered before. This room was in the old part of the hotel, and is like sceane out of only fools and horses, orange 70's tiles, curtains that were hanging off their rails. The shower was rubbish! Whilst we were getting a shower water started pouring out of the light sockets, the electric was going on and off, water started to come through the ceiling and we had to escape. In the end we had flooded the old part of the hotel. It could only happen to me!! The receptionist was very helpful and all the staff and guests managed to pull together as it had started to flood others guests rooms. I felt aweful especially when i saw the rooms they had, in comparison to where we had been staying. It was like a different hotel.

When you are out and about, i would highly recommend visiting Jacksons for a meal. The sunburnt arms on the beach front was great, and really cheap for an excellent full english breakfast. They make you feel really welcome. On a night there are some really cool up market bars in the Square. In the old town there hide some interesting little shops that sell the local produce, excellent for buying gifts. There are also some very nice greek restraunts where you can eat, and some really nice pubs, our favourite was a little place, where the owner has really long hair, and was clearly a fan of 70's rock music. He has guitars everywhere, and played some excellent music, if you are into Neil Young, Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd.

Excellent location, but easy to get lost as all the streets look the same. We ended up in Lambi, as small resort outside of Kos Town, walked for mile to get there looking for our hotel, and paid a fortune in a taxi to get back to the resort. That's the last time I ever believe my partner when he says he knows where he is!!

Lots of historical sites to see, while you are there! All in all it was a fab holiday!

Room Tip: Ask for the new part of the hotel - Be warned!!
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChocolateBec
Bristol
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We had a bit of a holiday nightmare that wasn't really Anastasia's fault, when we arrived at our chosen accommodation we found out that there had been an error with the booking (which I won't go into too much detail but we've since found out that the travel company knew of this before we flew out and we weren't made aware of it! argh) so when we arrived at Anastasia we were a little disgruntled anyway as it wasn't where we had chosen to stay. It is on a main street, and the pool area is concreted so not very inviting, plus the other guests were mainly Greek and liked to stare at us every time we walked across the pool area to get to our rooms, a little disconcerting to be honest!

Our actual room was fine, clean, had a nice balcony and good self catering facilities. However we did not get much sleep! The Greek guests liked to play their loud music and scream and shout along with it all through the night - we weren't going to bed until 2am/3am but we still couldn't get to sleep. Also, the air con unit is in the bedroom at the back of the apartment but we couldn't close the door as our friend who was sleeping in the living area at the front of the apartment would have had to bear the brunt of the noise and bake to death!

The owner of the hotel did come to see us as he heard we weren't happy but it wasn't really his fault. The location is quite good though - a 10 min or so walk both from Kos Town centre and Lambi beach. We hired bikes from the hire place that's literally across the road and cycled to Tigaki one day, most of the way was along the coast road by the beach which was lovely. It's quite a do-able cycle, even for me who hasn't ridden in years!

My summary of the hotel is friendly owner and reception staff, unfortunately not so friendly and considerate fellow guests, and don't go if you like a big pool and nice pool area!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Kos Town hotels

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I booked this hotel last minute and so got a good rate on my room. It was the bargain of the year.

They put me in a one bedroom apartment which was really lovely and a step up from the usual basic Greek accommodation. The breakfast was basic but more than adequate and the staff were lovely. Everywhere was immaculately clean and the only problem I had was that it was just a little bit far from the centre of town. However, you don't mind walking when the weather is so beautiful. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2010

first the good stuff . . . Friendly helpful staff, very clean hotel, 5 min walk 2 beach and 3 min 2 Kos Town. Nice clean pool, cold platter for breakfast with chance 2 have hot breakfast for 2 Euro more. Bad stuff, not the Hotel's fault, but its on a main road and lots of traffic noise 24/7. When we were there early August, it was full 2 the brim with Swedish (i was told) teenagers who were very loud till very late, 4/5 in the morning, at night sitting in large groups smoking and drinking around the pool. I felt quite intimadated walking past. Also things like playing music in there rooms till 2am, Also there seemed 2 be large groups off them so lots of cat calls between room etc. Im not an old grunt, but my 18-3o days are long gone, I like 2 get in at 1am, and go 2 sleep. Saying that i was told, by a brit who lives in Kos, that after the 16th August, it becomes more British (older couples and families) and a lot quieter. Kos is a lovely place 2 vist though.

• Stayed September 2010
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2010

We stayed in ANASTASIA with my friend and my little daughter with the same Anastasia. That is probably why we chose the Hotel. She had soooo many freebies, and her name was everywhere;on the bottom of the pool, walls and doors:). Hotel was very simple but it said 3*; and we went for it as we were not going to stay IN but be out at the beach. everyday. I have to agree with comments that this Hotel isnt for big groups of friends. Its very private little hotel. Not rock-and-roll hotel, So, if you are looking for massive parties, late drinks and live music than better to find a massive hotel!

Also it is not a beach hotel, its a walking distance from the beach. But it was what we wanted.

We loved Kos. A woman is the GODDESS on Kos, a woman with the CHILD is a Boss GODDESS. Your kids will love all the love and attention. And Greeks do it not because of the money we pay. Staff were as caring the first day as 5 minutes before our departure.

Manager Dimitris was a fab manager and English/Greek staff were amazing. The owner also had a drink and a chat with the guests to make us to feel wellcome. We loved the location - away from town centre and 10 min walk to the beach and town centre. We mainly used Baltic beach. Lovely restaurants on the way and best fish restaurants in town centre. Close by mini-markets with fresh food.

I read some complaints before bout the noise of motobikes till 4am. Please ask for room with window on the other side, But even with the window to a busy street you will be fine. We cannot blaim motobikes, those are the main transport in Kos. Trust me, we slept like babies.

Little advice: Please go to Volcano Island tour for a day or 3 island tour by boat. You can still sunbath on the boat:)) But do not make decision and PAY on the Fisrt day to your Tour Operator. We did. Only to find out that instead of 80 euros we could pay just 20
( and child free) from ANY boats in the harbour. Please have a walk along the Harbour on the first night and compare the prices.

Overall, I would recommed this hotel to everyone. And I did. But if you are looking for a massive entertainment, massive pools, live music and king size bathroom - Hotel Anastasia would be a bit too small and not rock-and-roll enough for you.

Have a great time and regards to Anastasis Hotel. If Id stay in Kos I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Rita M
near Birmingham
Reviewed 5 November 2009

Simply the best! Just the best hotel we've ever stayed in. The staff were so helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The location is perfect, not too close to the hustle and bustle of the centre, but still only 10 mins walk from the beach and the delightful harbour with all its restaurants and shops. and if you want to see the ancient temple of healing (the Asklepion), it is a pleasant walk away. The whole hotel was freshly painted, well maintained and so clean you could eat off the floor. The breakfast (included in the price) was a gourmet buffet with such things as home-made bread and chocolate cookies as well as boiled eggs, ham, cheese, delicious creamy yohurt, home-made jam and marmalade, cereal, toast and latte or cappucino coffee. We couldn't eat for the rest of the day!

Its all the little things that count. For instance, i can't eat wheat and when the nice breakfast lady found out she did her best to provide all sorts of things instead. And the night receptionist opened the bar to get me a glass of wine when we arrived from England well after midnight and I needed a drink! The owner is called Dimitris and he looks like George Clooney with longer hair and a bomber jacket. The reception staff are Betty and Chloe. Both have so much local knowledge and speak better English than me.

I would say very safe for young children, the pool area seemed very secure.
The pool side bar and lounge were comfortable...I could go on and on, it was all perfect!
It was so good, I nearly didn't write this review because if everyone new how good it is then it will get fully booked and we won't be able to get in again next year.

I can say without doubt that this hotel made our holiday the best possible and I can highly recommend it without hesitation! I only hope that I can get in next year now!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
#38 of 48 in Kos Town
Karis Hotel
Karis Hotel
#35 of 48 in Kos Town

Been to Anastasia Hotel? Share your experiences!