Club Med Cherating Beach
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$39
US$45
US$60
US$51
  • Pool
Cukai View Hotel(Kemaman District)
US$30
3,129 results
All reviewszen poolspecial thankscircus teamrock climbingjungle walknoodle bartree top challengerembulan restaurantflying trapezecherating beachmain barchef de villagefriendly gosgreat holidaysports teamevening showsfun activities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This is the 6th all inclusive I have been to around the world and first club med. It is an average resort but not a 4 star resort.

Good

Best buffet food I have seen at an all inclusive
Also the best quantity of free activities.
Zen pool ( new) is great. No kids around, no smoking, beautiful views. However no alcohol here.
Beds were fantastic
Nightly shows were really good
Diversity of guests and GO's is amazing - so many countries were represented and interesting meeting the GO's and other guests

Bad

If you are looking to leave the resort and see some of the area then don't stay here. The trips through the discovery center are over priced and not worth it.
La Carte restaurant is worst I have seen at an all inclusive. Their food selection is poor. Don't waste your time.
I have never been to an all inclusive that only had one la carte. Just not to a level that i would expect.
Over priced. Maybe have been spoilled by cheaper and higher quality resorts in central america but the price is too high.
The bathrooms and tv are incredibly small.
The manager was frequently absent. Not sure where he was all day. always showed up at evening show though for a token appearence.

I enjoyed my stay but can understand why people would give bad reviews. I wouldn't visit this resort again but would consider trying another club med.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Matthew M
club c, Manager at Club Med Cherating Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

We are sincerely sorry to read that you were dissatisfied with the variety of our à la carte services in the Cherating Resort. We hope we will have opportunity to restore your faith in our company by welcoming you in one of our resorts in the near future.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

I've been to Club Med 4 times including this one, and I must say this is my worst experience. But to be objective, I will state both the good and the bad because different people place different emphasis on different things in a holiday.

Good:

- More choices of activities compared to Club Med Bintan. Things which Bintan does not have are natural rock climbing and challenge tree top. The latter is interesting for kids!

- Better variety of food than Bintan. But just so you know, breakfast is almost always the exact same stuff....so it gets really boring

Neutral:

- Rooms are not as bad as what some reviewers had said. Yes it is smaller but it's decent. Aircon is not that bad too. At night it gets really cold when you switch it to "High"

Bad:

- I didn't think that it would be so bad, but it is! Read a few reviews about not-so-good GOs. It's really true. GOs in Cherating are not as friendly, approachable NOR energetic as those I encountered in my other Club Med trips. They look tired and won't smile nor say Hi even if your eyes met. Hmmm....

- Cherating DOES NOT adhere to their schedule! E.g. 1st day I was told that orientation of the resort starts at 6pm, meet at main bar. I was there punctually at 6pm and waited for 10mins. No one in sight. Had to go to reception and ask about it. Checked out for me and told me that an earlier group went for the orientation already and had completed it! Totally unacceptable! Next day I went for a "FAMILY ARCHERY" time from 11am-12pm. Manned by an Indonesian GO (I think) and guess what he said? "Oh your son can't do archery now because there are too many adults here, I can't supervise your child, please come back at a later time". What's the point of having a schedule and timing when you can't adhere to it???

- Service is NOT up to par. Club Med Bintan's GOs do not just welcome you at the entrance of the restaurant. One of the staff will even show you to your seat AND get ready baby chair and booster seats for your kids. In Cherating, you'll be lucky if you even get to see GOs there greeting you at the entrance. Even if you do, only in your dreams will they show you to your seat.

There was once I had to carry a baby chair ALL the way from another section of the restaurant to where I was sitting. Guess what? No one even BOTHERED to help me carry the seat to my table. It's rather heavy.

- A female chinese looking GO I/C of the restaurant constantly wears a straight-face and on my 1st day already told me off when I was standing outside the restaurant after I came out of the pool. Yes I know I can't possibly go into the restaurant without proper attire but I just wanted to know whether they served food at 3pm! Simply told me to go wear something over my bathing suit without any smile nor was it a very polite request

- At Rembulan restaurant, was raining cats and dogs after our dinner. Wanted to catch the earliest train back to the resort. Before we took off with our brollys, we asked the restaurant manager Mikael whether the train was there. The response was a positive. So we braved the rain, got our sandals soaked, pants slightly wet and the TRAIN WAS NOWHERE IN SIGHT! Hubby and son had to seek shelter in this teeny weeny little shelter at the train stop, while I had to brave the rain again back to the restaurant to find out where the train was. Mind you, I was also carrying my baby in my arms with the brolly! All Mikael did was to look at me and said sorry and just gave me the "there's-nothing-I-can-do" look. Didn't even bother to offer going back to the train stop to get my hubby and son back from so that I didn't have to do so

- Don't expect the GO manning the sea sports centre to give you any hand at all when dragging the kayaks back to shore. This is manned by a dark skinned male GO. He will simply stand comfortably at the shed and will NOT come by the beach when you beach up your kayak and help you to bring the craft back to shore. It's very heavy

Interestingly on 1 of the days at the beach, there were a few GOs gathering at the bar....the one manning the sea sports, the bartender and someone else. They were chatting there for quite awhile when suddenly they just disbanded upon seeing a couple of folks walking towards them. One of them could be a big shot (I don't know who) and the other is the Events Manager (a bald fella). Straightaway you could see a HUGE difference in their service. Suddenly the sea sports GO went up to some guests and helped them carry their paddles from the shore! I was there at the beach so often I know this GO wouldn't have given a damn. What a show he had put up.

Overall, I don't think Cherating was worth the 7hrs of drive there for such an experience. I would have expected at least what the other Club Meds like Bintan and Phuket could offer in terms of service standards. I think Chef de Villages (CDV) play a very significant role.

In this trip, I hardly saw Karim, the CDV. He was only there during the night shows. That's it! Now, compare that with Merlin Chelliah the CDV of Bintan in 2011. She was fantastic! Though pregnant then, she was all over the resort making sure that guests are having fun. She was even there at the entrance of the restaurant greeting guests! A CDV doing that....fancy that! I believe she had played such a significant role in Bintan. All her staff, the GOs, even the chefs and the housekeeping staff were very hospitable. There was once I was at the trapeze, she would even bring drinks for her GOs manning the activity.

So it boils down to what you are looking for. Some folks may find my complaints trivial but these are important to me. If you are looking for a place which offers a lot of activities, this could work for you!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
17  Thank Vanessa T
club c, Manager at Club Med Cherating Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

We are sincerely sorry to read that you were dissatisfied with some aspects of your holiday. We would like to thank you for taking the time to put your comments in writing. Be sure that your complaint is taken very seriously and that we are constantly monitoring the standard of customer care in all our Resorts worldwide. We hope we will have opportunity to restore your faith in our company by welcoming you in one of our resorts in the near future.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

First time in club med, I can tell you that this is something different for sure. High quality entreteinment for children and adults, pools (there is an option for every swim level), beach is amazingly wile an beatiful, food is best quality and you have many options, rooms are perfect (not luxuri but you are never there and air conditioner is perfect, I'm very demanding with this aspect and I found it more than perfect). the only aspects that I consider should be improved is they gym, very old and poor in terms of equipment in the other hand gym lessons are great and you have a lot of options and the chance to have something to eat after 21:15.
Being a often travelers al over Asia and Europe ( 3 times per year) regarding beach family holidays this one was on of the best resort and holidays we ever have, if you have children go there.

Room Tip: Ask as much closer of the reception as possible, last books you will have to walk 10' to be in the pool, bar, resto, etc
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Just spent 2 weeks at cherating club med.
our 2 young boys had the time of their lives , as did we.
The staff were amazing. We had so much fun both day and night.
The food was also amazing. Great quality and variation. The fruit in particular was really good.
This is the perfect holiday for any family who want to have fun.
And a great opportunity for parents to relax for a few days whilst the kids are looked after.
We all had the opportunity to try really cool activities. Trapeze , tree top , rock climbing and bungee bounce Just to name a few.

The g.o.s were great. They are all super talented and friendly people who work really hard to make sure you area having a good time.

Just a warning for 1st timers .Don't come here expecting 5 star rooms. The rooms are very basic ... But you are only in your room to get changed or to sleep. Some of the facilities are a little run down... But overall the hotel is beautiful.
There is also a new quiet pool which opened the day before we left. It's the perfect place for adults to hang out without and kids around.

Thanks to everyone at club med we are looking forward to seeing you again soon :)

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I spent a week at club med cherating with my wife and 11 month old son. We totally enjoyed our stay there - the food, accomodation and activities were all world class. The GOs take special care to ensure that you enjoy every minute of your vacation at club med.

Overall an excellent experience which I would recommend for people of all ages.

• Stayed: September 2012