I live in KL, and have been wanting to take my folks (in their later 70's) along on a short holiday, for some time now. So decided on 3 nights in Cherating, a less than 4 hour drive away.
As you have probably noticed, hardly any resport/hotel in this area has mainly good reviews - they are mostly mixed. So having stayed at Swiss Garden last year and hated the service, picked Impiana which seemed to have slightly better reviews overall.
We arrived just after 1.15pm on Saturday 19th May. My girlfriend, who is working 3 hours north of Cherating met us there. as the check in time is 2pm, we had lunch at the coffee house - average quality, but as is typical these days, overpriced.
We got our rooms way past 2.30pm, as there was a big group checking out and least bothered about the check-out time. Nothing unusual, just annoying though
We booked the deluxe rooms; got a decent rate at just over RM200/room.
Here's a summary of the rooms and hotel overall:
- deluxe rooms are rather small, did not bother us too much
- the TV is a computer screen, probably not much more than 17 inch. poor reception. You'd need to sit pretty near. Channels limited, but I've experienced worse
- the air-con can't be regulated, and was leaking water through holes in the false ceiling in both rooms. The one in my parents' room flooded the floor near the room door; fortunately they got upgraded to the superior deluxe at no extra charge - by the way the air con in this room leaked as well
- the bathrooms are rather tired, and the shower area cramped - not meant for the large-framed.
- the hotel is NOT senior-citizen friendly. It has 3 levels, no lift. If you don't get a room near the main lobby, it's a pretty long walk. The car park is about 40-50 meters away from the rooms, so you'd have to walk down some rickety wooden stairs to the ground level then walk some distance to the car.
- the breakfast buffet was not too bad, decent spread, though the toaster kept breaking down.
- the grounds and the beach here is actually quite nice and relatively clean - the main plus point of this property in my opinion. The staff were also generally OK.
- the pool seemed OK, until I tried using the aluminium ladder to get out - it was not secure, tilted, and the rungs were all loose - basically broken - so much so that I completely slipped at banged my shin rather badly - lost some skin, had swelling and bleeding, etc. Complained to the guy in charge of the pool - got the usual "so sorry" - sad, sad state of affairs.
- my gf and I wanted to rent the bicycles - RM18/hour believe it or not! We had to go through all of them to find 2 that were ride-able; and had to come back to change one of them as the gears kept slipping. If you are going to charge such ridiculous rates, at least keep the damn things in decent condition!!
Apart from the hotel, the cherating river cruise at night to see fireflies is a great experience (we went with Hafiz at Cherating Village.
The food at Duyong (also Cherating Village) is not too bad, though I wouldn't go for the western fare.
Chukai, a town less than a half hour's drive away has some decent chinese food. We went to Tong Juan - the stuffed crab is great!
Overall, 2 nights is probably enough, but we didn't mind the 3 nights as we wanted to take it easy. It continues to amaze me how, in this day and age of the internet, hotels in particular (just speaking of Malaysia, where I am from) can still be so sloppy with service, facilities, etc....
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Impiana Resort Cherating reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Impiana Resort Cherating Hotel Kuantan
- Impiana Hotel Kuantan
- Impiana Hotel Cherating