“3 star experience with 4 star (or more) potential”

Impiana Resort Cherating
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cherating
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“3 star experience with 4 star (or more) potential”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I live in KL, and have been wanting to take my folks (in their later 70's) along on a short holiday, for some time now. So decided on 3 nights in Cherating, a less than 4 hour drive away.
As you have probably noticed, hardly any resport/hotel in this area has mainly good reviews - they are mostly mixed. So having stayed at Swiss Garden last year and hated the service, picked Impiana which seemed to have slightly better reviews overall.
We arrived just after 1.15pm on Saturday 19th May. My girlfriend, who is working 3 hours north of Cherating met us there. as the check in time is 2pm, we had lunch at the coffee house - average quality, but as is typical these days, overpriced.
We got our rooms way past 2.30pm, as there was a big group checking out and least bothered about the check-out time. Nothing unusual, just annoying though
We booked the deluxe rooms; got a decent rate at just over RM200/room.
Here's a summary of the rooms and hotel overall:
- deluxe rooms are rather small, did not bother us too much
- the TV is a computer screen, probably not much more than 17 inch. poor reception. You'd need to sit pretty near. Channels limited, but I've experienced worse
- the air-con can't be regulated, and was leaking water through holes in the false ceiling in both rooms. The one in my parents' room flooded the floor near the room door; fortunately they got upgraded to the superior deluxe at no extra charge - by the way the air con in this room leaked as well
- the bathrooms are rather tired, and the shower area cramped - not meant for the large-framed.
- the hotel is NOT senior-citizen friendly. It has 3 levels, no lift. If you don't get a room near the main lobby, it's a pretty long walk. The car park is about 40-50 meters away from the rooms, so you'd have to walk down some rickety wooden stairs to the ground level then walk some distance to the car.
- the breakfast buffet was not too bad, decent spread, though the toaster kept breaking down.
- the grounds and the beach here is actually quite nice and relatively clean - the main plus point of this property in my opinion. The staff were also generally OK.
- the pool seemed OK, until I tried using the aluminium ladder to get out - it was not secure, tilted, and the rungs were all loose - basically broken - so much so that I completely slipped at banged my shin rather badly - lost some skin, had swelling and bleeding, etc. Complained to the guy in charge of the pool - got the usual "so sorry" - sad, sad state of affairs.
- my gf and I wanted to rent the bicycles - RM18/hour believe it or not! We had to go through all of them to find 2 that were ride-able; and had to come back to change one of them as the gears kept slipping. If you are going to charge such ridiculous rates, at least keep the damn things in decent condition!!

Apart from the hotel, the cherating river cruise at night to see fireflies is a great experience (we went with Hafiz at Cherating Village.
The food at Duyong (also Cherating Village) is not too bad, though I wouldn't go for the western fare.
Chukai, a town less than a half hour's drive away has some decent chinese food. We went to Tong Juan - the stuffed crab is great!

Overall, 2 nights is probably enough, but we didn't mind the 3 nights as we wanted to take it easy. It continues to amaze me how, in this day and age of the internet, hotels in particular (just speaking of Malaysia, where I am from) can still be so sloppy with service, facilities, etc....

Room Tip: One where the air con does not leak
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank NYTM
kamarudin, General Manager at Impiana Resort Cherating, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Dear NYTM,

Great honest comments and we appreciate it. The resort is 18 years old, used to be great, neglected at one stage and now, we are improving in stages though it is a long process with much effort and investment to bring back to its glory years. We are showing some improvement and comments such of yours, helps.

- The new air conditioning system is now fixed with a controller in being user friendly and we are rectifying the current air cond condensation above the ceiling to avoid water dripping
- New toaster has been purchased
- The ladder at the pool has been rectified and staffs have been briefed on how to handle such situation
- We are getting some new bicycles and revised the rental charges for better value

There are lots more to attend to and perhaps with the return of investment, we would able to rectify most of the areas soonest.

Thank you once again and hope it will not deter you from returning. Please do not hesitate to seek my assistance in the future.

Kamarudin Kassim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I had a wonderful holiday with my fella collqs and recommend to other who planning for an holiday at Kuantan or Cherating. For sure will be back for this school holiday with my Sisters family and their childrens. Staff are cheerful.. service remarkable. Good job

Room Tip: a bit old but ull like it
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank raisul r
Hi raisul r,

We are trying our level best not to disappoint and we are glad that you have enjoyed the stay.

While we are planning to include more activities and packages which can be referred to our official website, you may also want to plan for your next holiday with us soonest.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This hotel looks quite old, but do not judge the book by its cover! Some old fashioned atmosphere is certainly needed for a relaxing feel. Go for superior deluxe room, it has spacious bedroom and saparate living room. They provide complete amenities with lots of fun filled beach sports near whereelse, the beach! We had a bbq buffet near the pool, strolling along the beach/beach volleyball/aerobic session by the evening, and fun swimming in the pool in the morning. They just refurbished the bathroom so it looks new and modern. Windows are covered by bamboo shades. One only needs to turn on the fan to cool him/herself.

Some areas need renovation though, planks to walk on looks like they can collapse anytime!

Room Tip: Not exactly suitable for disabled person, there were no lifts, only stairs if you need to go to your...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Isabela R
kamarudin, General Manager at Impiana Resort Cherating, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear Isabela_Rijeng,

Aaaaaah…the appreciation regards to our resort and what it has got to offer makes the sun shines on us again and again…Thank you Isabela!

Of course there are areas in need of improvement but that aside, and if you set your mind in having a wonderful time at the room, beach and venture the activities at the resort and surrounding areas, you will not get disappointed.

Yes, it is old, but if you learn to love and get charmed by it, then you will…

If your ideal holiday is to stay in the room and watch TV, then it is the wrong place to be…
I am so glad to hear that the time spent with us was so memorable

Hope you will be back for more...soon!
Once again, a million thanks

Sunny regards
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

When I told my colleagues that I had an assignment in Kemaman District of Terengganu, they suggested that I stay in a hotel in Cherating. Along the beach there are a number of hotels but I never had an opportunity to stay here before. When I made a booking in the one recommended, I was told it was fully booked. So I decided to try my luck at this hotel. As a walk-in customer, I was not sure if there was any room available. I was lucky and without hassle I checked into a nice hotel by a beautiful beach, much to my surprise! Between the beach and the hotel are rows of coconut trees which provide much needed protection from the direct sunlight. On the whole, it was an enjoyable stay especially for my family.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the lobby.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank James N
Dear JamesNJim,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and the time spared to write your feedback about us.

It is refreshing to hear such lovely comments which make us strive to improve further.
Your return visit is most welcome, to enjoy, to experience and to venture whatever we have got to offer.

Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

Upon check in we were served with a welcome drink and cold towel. Since our room was quite far, the hotel staff kindly carried our luggage to the doorstep.

The deluxe seaview room was comfortable and nice. But the winner would have to be the wonderful beach clean and well taken care of.

Traveling with a toddler,we spent so much time at the beach. Will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Tee_v3789
kamarudin, General Manager at Impiana Resort Cherating, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear Tee_v3789,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. We hope that your stay was pleasant and that our accommodations and services were acceptable to you.

Yes, the beach and our grounds cleanliness are always in our priority list, which we want to preserve and to keep it as private as possible.

You are most welcome for a return visit.
Do have a look at our official website as from time to time, we would come up with good packages, offering worthy values.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This hotel is fantastic. It is set right on Cherating Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in mainland Malaysia. We had a superior delux room with sea view. The room consisted of a bedroom with four poster bed, a living room with tv, a small walk in wardrobe and a bathroom with bath and shower (in bath). Most of the rooms have a sea view. We stayed there 3 nights and had the beach to ourselves every day. The sea was warm and great to swim in. There is a lovely restaurant with a good mix of Local and western food dishes. It is not expensive. There is a pub style bar selling beer and cocktails and on some nights there was live music. The hotel offers trips out to watch turtles or go to a night market and various other local activities such as fishing. The staff were very polite and helpful. The rooms were cleaned every day. The cost was about £50 a night including breakfast. The breakfast was fantastic and they had a chef ready to make you an omelette or scrambled eggs as you wait. The hotel is perfect if you want to chill out, but there is a pool you can sit around, and a volley ball court and a small soccer area. There is a golf course nearby. My wife and I adored the place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank G07
Dear G07,

I am so glad to hear that the time spent with us was so memorable. It is always both refreshing and encouraging to receive such high commendation as we are constantly striving towards the highest possible standards.

Your positive comments are equal to our positive mindset in providing the value needed, even with challenges that we are fully aware.

Thank you for choosing us and a big gratitude for such a lovely feedback.
Cheers!

Sunny regards
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Impiana has a special place in my heart, it's the place my hubby (then boyfriend) & I went for our first vacation. My first visit was 10 years ago, and the property was rather new & quiet, and I had the best omelette in this 3 star hotel breakfast that has <10 items served. Few years later I visited again with a few friends to attend a wedding in Kuantan, the place got a bit older, quiet still, and we played monopoly in the lobby while bitten by mosquitoes.
Fast forward to my 3rd visit last week, it was lively as there's a company event over the weekend and the whole property is fully booked. We got the better room this time, it is 2 times of the standard room. But the furnishing is outdated and the flooring needs new coating.
The beach is nice, with cool breeze even at noon. But there were little amenities like chairs etc by the beach so it's kinda difficult to hang out for a long time there. Would suggest guests to bring their own mat/picnic items there
The pool is average
The breakfast is superb, I'm pleasantly surprised that the spread is even better than Tanjong Jara Resort that I spent 2 nights before moving to Impiana.
The check in & out is kinda slow since there seem to be only 1 functioning computer and all guests have to wait for the processing from the same terminal, and there wasn't a proper queue system so I waited for quite long with a toddler whom I have to kept an eye on while making sure I don't get jump queue (again!)
I feel that for the price the hotel is charging (close to rm300 per night), it should be better furnished & have better service

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe superior rooms, they are 2 times the size of deluxe rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank YunQi
kamarudin, General Manager at Impiana Resort Cherating, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear YunQi,

Thank you for a nostalgic return visit and we are glad that you have enjoyed the overall stay.

While we are looking at the concern highlighted by you, which could be rectified immediately, we hope for your continuous visits in not too distant future.

Until then, thank you once again.

Kamarudin Kassim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cherating
Residence Inn Cherating
Cherating Eastana Beach Resort
Resorts World Kijal
Resorts World Kijal
#1 of 1 in Kijal

Been to Impiana Resort Cherating? Share your experiences!