“The Home Bakery served us rubbish coffee and stale cake. Avoid”
Review of The French Cafe

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The French Cafe
Ranked #19 of 23 Restaurants in Crewkerne
Cuisines: French, British
London
“The Home Bakery served us rubbish coffee and stale cake. Avoid”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is the cafe in the entrance of an antiques centre called "home bakery". Not sure why you really need to have a meal when you visit an antique centre and the lack of punters in there perhaps proved that, but we stopped for a coffee and cheeky slice of cake.

On the day we visited all was not well, as the management/ownership of the "home bakery" has recently imploded and departed. The staff left there were frankly disinterested, bored and the girl behind the counter stood texting on a phone and ignored us as we stood waiting to be served.

When we did get noticed, the service was poor and the girl behind the counter acted like she didn't want to be there. She wasn;'t the only one and with hindsight i wished I had followed my gut instinct and bailed at that point.

The ground coffee was of poor quality and dusty and grainy in flavour. It certainly wasn't worthy of the 'real coffee made by trained barreta pr puff' set out on the home bakery website. It was way worse than the stuff served in the chain coffee shops.

The victoria sponge cake I bought was stall, flat and bland. I could have made one as good and i can't cook

Much as it grates me to say this, I think even no 5/7 in Crewkerne High Street is better in terms of food quality and the atmosphere there is no worse.

All in all, despite all the pr fluff ,this "home bakery" place is rubbish. AVOID!

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank aaronsLondon

“Disappointing”
Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

I was hoping for a little slice of easy French glamour when my wife and I happened upon a seemingly lovely little foodery when hunting for antiques. I was sorely disappointed.
Nothing about the menu is remotely French and even the food that we EVENTUALLY received was of poor quality.
Even the atmosphere was unpleasant; an oily looking man working made my wife very uncomfortable from the moment we entered, and we both noticed an awful lingering smell as if someone had farted a long time ago and the air hadn't cleared.
I would wholeheartedly recommend that if you want a nice lunch, AVOID this place. Go to Nero, even their brown water coffee would be an improvement.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Arthur B
Exeter
“Go elsewhere!”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Reading the description of the café online I went into the Antiques centre looking forward to my lunch with a friend but was very disappointed . You would think being called 'The French Café' they would serve French food but no the closest you will get is a shop brought French baguette!
Very dull menu which consists mainly of grilled sandwiches and ploughmans which you can get anywhere . I settled with a piece of overpriced cake which didn't taste as though it had been made within the last few days. I waited until I had parked in the town and went to a delightful little wine bar called Oscars and had a wonderful lunch that didn't cost much more than my tea and cake!

Visited April 2013