“Ok but behind the times?”

Sandy Glade Holiday Park
Reviewed 27 May 2011

The caravan we stayed in was in an ok condition, but the the carpet had quite a few stains on it. It was really nice that we were able to take our dog for a small fee which was a definite plus. The beach was normal for that area but don't expect a south coast type beach like Bournemouth. There is lots to do in the area and with Western Super Mare just down the road you won't get board. We didn't try the on site entertainment.

• Stayed: May 2011

Reviewed 6 May 2011

Just returned from JF Sandy Glade Park. Having paid extra for a silver chalet I was very disappointed with it It was in a time warp and badly needs to be brought into the 21st century.It had that damp,musty smell upon entering.Wood clad walls were archaic. The douvet was inadequate and I had to ask for another one as I froze on my first night..Bedroom heater did not work and it was also very ancient.But it was repaired once I had reported it.
A single heater in the living area did not warm it up,but like the old days I put the cooker oven on full and left the door open!
The chalet was for 6 persons but even 4 would have been over crowded..
We only had a shower,loo and sink,the shower cubicle was a joke,my guess is that it was made from plywood.You could only just turn around in it. Each time the you did and hit the sides it would bend and rattle as if it was free standing. We only used the chalet as a base so put up with the dowdiness of it.
Our only visit to the club house was to check in which took us a good 30mins as the receptionist was on the phone!!!..
For the extra price we paid it was NOT value for money and I will not be staying there again.
As we were leaving another disgruntled 'inmate' asked if we were in a silver chalet as he was a few doors down from us. When I replied yes he was giving us the same complaints and he was very unhappy about the conditions.
Our only saving grace was that the weather was good and we were able to be out all day.A car is a must if you want to get out and about.
We are a retired couple who wished to take a short break to view the surrounding areas.
We did not use any of the facilities on site.
Overall the chalets desperatley need modernisation.But if there are folk willing to pay the prices I dont expect there will be anything done to them. At least the exteriors was having a coat of paint when we left,.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cymraig4
Reviewed 3 May 2011

After reading the negative reviews I was concerned about staying here, mostly due to the reportedly lack of cleanliness, as I was travelling with a 10 week old baby and 2 toddlers. Our chalet was very clean, (yes it is very dated but this wasn't a problem). The club and swimming pool were very good, and the staff were very helpful and polite. In my opinion you get what you pay for, and I was extremely happy with the whole package, and will be returning.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2011

As soon as we arrived at Sandy Glade Holiday Park we thought it look great ,nice bar swimming pool was fab, But once we stepped inside our accomadation chalet number 21 we thought OMG the smell of DAMP and MOULD was over whelming!!!!!!! WHEN I pulled our so called double bed( which was infacted a large single) away from the wall there was over a metre wide by over a metre high thick mould and fur growing on the wall!!!!! how gross is that!!!! I then went to reception to complain they was not intrested at all, they just said that it would be cleaned and that there was nothing they could do about it as they were fully booked!!!!. They sent a cleaner to spray bleech in our chalet and to clean the mould but once the smell of bleech had gone the smell of mould and damp came back we slept in that chalet for a whole week our bed was damp every night!!! My husband got really ill come day 5 i swear that it was cause of the smell of damp and the mould growing. since i have returned from my holiday (yesterday) I have phoned John Fowler Holidays and again they were not intrested at all if anything the women on the phone was very rude and in the end she put the phone down on me!!!! She told me to ring and write a letter to Head Office! When i typed a Head office for John Fowler into my computer a phone number came up for the Head office in which I phoned straight away only to be told by the girl answering the phone that john fowler had not put the right phone number on line and that she was answering a phone in a beauty salon!!!!!SO i need to go higher up then all of them! POOR SERVICE FROM JOHN FOWLER!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Having read some of the reviews on this site before heading off, we wondered what we were letting ourselves in for, despite having stayed at John Fowler before (different site). We really didn't need to worry! Yes, our first impression was that the site was smaller than expected and perhaps a little dated, but that really is where our concerns ended. Our group of 4 families had two 3 bed and two 2 bed caravans. We were certainly happy with ours and believe the same can be said for the rest of our group.

The maintenance guys did a couple of minor jobs for us within the first hour and came back to do another minor (but necessary) job later that same day. Both were very friendly and helpful. The Park was clean and the staff friendly........special mention for Aaron and Gareth (Entertainment), who worked particularly hard and did an excellent job.

The site is very close (walking distance) to an excellent flat beach (after you've walked through the sand-dunes). If you’re feeling lazy or have lots of stuff to take with you, you can pay £4 to drive on to the beach and park. There was an excellent / clean indoor pool, which we didn't have time to use (one group in our party did), in addition to a good outdoor playground.

Happy to recommend. Based on what we paid for the break, it was good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank TheNicholsons5
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Dissapointed does not even begin to describe it! I feel completely mislead by the brochure and totally ripped off. And that is putting it mildly! Grim, tacky and depressing accommodation in hideous "dormitory like" blocks with spectacular "views" of electricity poles! This holiday park is nothing short of a joke!! As for the surrounding area, the beach and town looks like a run down, deserted ghost town, nothing to do here unless you are prepared to travel a distance. Have booked for a week but one night here is all I can endure, will cut my losses and go home rather. I certainly would never recommend Sandy Glades to anyone!!

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank Lonlass4
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I have just come back from a John Fowler Holiday Park in Burnham-on-Sea, absolute mothers worst nightmare!!!!!

They have a house there for large families but it lacks major safety aspects as a fence to a major busy road which my daughter nearly got run over on!!!!!!!!!!!! Also the back garden area as a major drop down on a concrete slabs or back round to the road, there is a gate but the locks are that worn with age any children could easily get out of!!

Also around the reception and club area it is so blind cars come racing round at a speed it is completely unsafe....

I am a Travel Agent and would never recommend this Holiday Park to anyone ever in my life!!! I left after 1 night..... shocking and disgraceful!!!!

Go at your own risk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family