Samaki Lodge & Spa
Jumia Travel
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfresh fruitbeginning of januarylobsterstone townside dishesspeak good englishspent nightsbeefa la carte restaurantmangoocean viewhigh tidebeachseatanzaniaparadiseczech
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Nice folks running the place. The rooms are pretty sparse by our standards and dinner was kinda a first come first serve thing, so if you were late, you may not get much of the main course. The place really caters to the Italian vacationer and the beach kids selling tourist trash all know basic Italian and the staff is fluent. Cash only.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank douglasm90
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Tanzania Journeys found us this incredibly welcoming lodge that was a perfect relaxing end to our trip after being out on safari and climbing Kilimanjaro. The lodge combines the charm of an Italian villa with the beach décor of Zanzibar. We arrived to a room filled with bougainvillea and hibiscus blossoms. On the sweeping white beaches you can watch the local fishmen set sail in their dhows. Our teenage sons had a great time talking with locals, finding coral and shells, climbing coconut palms, and playing soccer on the beach. The excellent food is an interesting fusion of Italian country cooking and tropical influence, with lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. The food is served buffet style and the Chef Abdul serves a special pasta dishes each night. Breakfast is included, while lunch a dinner was a flat $15/pp charge, very reasonable for the quality of food served. The friendly staff speak English, Italian and Swahili. The Maasi security guards provide an interesting cultural attraction. Day trips to Stonetown and nearby islands for snorkeling are easily arranged. We went snorkeling and saw the giant tortoises at Prison Island. Also recommended is a spice plantation tour.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank KornDIckson
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The best thing about this place is the value and super friendly and accommodating service. The food was great and there was lots. The staff was also very friendly and always willing to help. For example, we arrive just after breakfast was done being served yet a few hours before lunch was to be served. Asked for something to eat since we were quite hungry and the chef whipped us up a meal...no problem.

The rooms are comfortable yet basic. You will get a fan and air condition, towels, and soap. Don't expect a lot and you will be quite happy. This is not a 5 star resort by any means, but a super comfortable lodge with a great family atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I stayed at the Samaki Lodge for three nights during third week of June. I'll preface this all by saying that I had been traveling for work for about 4 weeks and this was the last leg of my trip in Dar-es-Salaam, so I just wanted to relax and enjoy the environment. I chose Samaki because it seemed to be a place well suited for this. I opted not to stay in Stone town where there would be many more tourists. I was met by one of the hotel staff upon my arrival and he gave me a run down of the hotel and the services. The hotel only had a family staying there as this was a few weeks prior to the actual vacation season began.

Room:
The room was nice and comfortable. I had a lovely balcony where i was able to sit and read. There was no television or phone in the room. The mattress wasn't plush by any means, and was firm, which suited my back fine. The bathroom and everything else was fine.

Staff:
The staff were extremely helpful and diligent in being attentive to the needs of the guests at all times and looked to help in anyway that they good.

Food:
The food had its days. For the most part I would say that it was very good and it was a nice variety of things. The seafood was fresh, having been caught the same day, and was prepared in a variety of ways. There was quite a lot of food and I was often full. If you are looking for typical american food this is definitely not the case here, but everything was tasty. Having meals at specific times was a bit of a bother and I would have liked to be able to get something at different times during the day.

Beach:
The beach was absolutely gorgeous! Clean, beautiful definitely the best thing.

Travel/Tours:
I wanted to venture into stone town and there weren't many people for a tour so I was charged about $50 to go and come back. The to and from the ferry was $90 which was rather expensive. The village is about 45min from the port.

I would recommend this place if you are looking to get away and spend some time on a beautiful beach and aren't expecting the hilton.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2011

It is a beautiful resort, wonderful clear sand and pristine water, very friendly staff and great food! It is very natural and tranquil. I highly recommend it to the nature-loving traveller who wants to rest and enjoy fully nature in all its colours and beauty!

Room Tip: The rooms are very nice, but they do not have a phone nor TV.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends