“Fantastic food, great atmosphere and welcome”
Review of The Compasses Inn

The Compasses Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Damerham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have had a two night stay here, the food is really good, appealing and freshly cooked. Menu is varied and exciting. We really enjoyed it and the kids loved theirs too. Rooms are spacious, clean and well furnished. Well situated for the new forest and surrounding countryside. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Delicious, freshly-cooked food at reasonable prices, interesting menu, real ales, warm and welcoming atmosphere, excellent service - what more can you want? Give the Compasses Inn a try - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

For those that might have browsed Trip Advisor history I posted in july 2013 after a disastrous weekend when the Compasses was under different stewardship. After my July posting I could see on this medium that standards were degenerating even further with some subsequent posts, there was however the odd - possibly debatable - exception.

It was clear that things were not right in July, and I suspect the proprietor at the time was working on his "exit plan" Seems like when he left he took most of the goods and chattels as well as the cobwebs.

I digress. Was in the area today Mon 10 Feb and almost felt duty bound to pop in and see if it was really as described of late and that the recent trend of posts were justified.

How stupid of me! Total transformation.

First impressions, and on a Monday, there were several cars in the car-park. Second impression the wisteria on the walls had been tidied. I walked in with trepidation (in case previous landlord was lurking under the pool table) and had a wonderful warm and friendly greeting from Simon. Was also greeted with the smell of new paint.

Simon gave us a tour of the rooms and it was immediately apparent there was a lot of work in progress. Some of the rooms were in the process of redecorating, and others had been completed. Still work in progress, but being done tastefully with care.

Food. Very good menu and specials board, not lists and lists but enough to cater for most tastes and a sensible menu choice makes it easily manageable by the kitchen staff. So naturally we had to have a meal (be a shame not to) and what we had was brilliant.

Didn't stay overnight as was passing, but if we get the chance will definitely book a few days in the Summer to make up for our last experience.

To sum up. Well done Simon & Lee (who we never met as was busy in the kitchen) You deserve to do well.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alex1706
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I came here back in January with friends and family, we were a party of about 15 in total. We all had food and each and every one of us were SO impressed. I myself had Confit Duck and Fondant potato which was to die for! There was a live band on and we continued with drinks after our meal. The atmosphere was great and it was a full house :) not to mention impeccable table service considering how busy they were.
This time (Sun 9th Feb) my boyfriend and I went along with my sister and had a Roast dinner. I had chicken and the others beef - which I sampled - and it was the best pub roast I've ever had. Perfect home cooked hearty food for a cold day. There was plenty of food to go around, Yorkshires the size of pint glasses and all of it lovely and fresh.
The pub itself is lovely and the decor is quirky and classy. We then, after thinking it couldn't get any better, had a pudding. Gorgeous cheesecake with a choice of chocolate or fruit compote topping (both of which came in little pots on the plate, lovely idea!)
Overall this pub has been absolutely turned around by the current owners and I will definitely be returning (next week in fact!) and I wish them all the luck with it in the future!
Abi x

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 February 2014

OK- after our last of many previously disastrous visits to this formally excellent pub, we did vow never to return. But having read the latest reviews, we simply had to give it another try. After all they were fellow trip advisers so they must be right -or so we hoped. Wow what a transformation. Gone is the somewhat 'olde worldy' furniture & the tired paintwork, which has now been replaced with an eclectic mix of traditional furniture & a bright new paint scheme. Happily there is large comfortable sofa to relax into by the fire as well. But most importantly -the main difference are the proprietors Simon & Lee [Lee is female by the way]. What a difference. We were made so welcome and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. One of our party is a vegetarian [so apparently is Lee] and she reported that her meal was better than a 5* restaurant. We all enjoyed our food immensely and the menu seemed to be interesting & sensible at the same time! I hate these establishments that pretend to be gourmet kitchens or gastro pubs and fail. Prices were very reasonable too. Also if you're in the market for hiring a Yurt ask Lee for details. They had one erected by the entrance which they used as a smoking area at Christmas -and they say they might put up a larger one in the garden for special evenings during the summer. Pity we missed the music evening as it sounded as though it was a roaring success -but hopefully they will have another soon.I wish them all the success and longevity that they deserve [and so do the villagers for putting up with all the previous debacles]. We will most certainly be back on a regular basis.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Having booked a table to eat, following one of my favourite bands, that was play that night, all I can say is wow. The pub was packed with the following of the band and the restaurant tables were all reserved, good job we booked.having looked at the menu and ordered, what a complete surprise that got delivered to us, stunning well cooked food, with the flavours to match.
I opted for the pork belly, with red cabbage, and cider jus, a full class dish was delivered to the table, with the sent of light cinnamon, garlic and the cider jus all steaming away in front of me, HEAVEN.
My friends ordered the sea-bass, which was my first choice, and I wish I would have stuck to it,gggrrrrr.
A silver parcel was placed in. front of her, with the most amazing smells coming from it, Coriander and lime, and when opened green beans and sautéed potatoes.
At this point the people who had come to see the band came over to ask what was in the silver parcel.
But what was the real eye opener for the table was the fish and chip.OMG.
Where in this country do you get fish and chips served in a paper bag, that was made in the shape of a Spanish galleon, with a mast of assorted pickles, this was the show stopper, amazing, to look at, and again people we're coming to our table to browse on the feast in front of us.
Gastronomic theatre!!!!
The band did there warm up and we tucked in, stunning, everyone on the table commented on how great there food was. We looked at other tables faces as there food was being brought to them and the look on there faces once they had received it.
The pub was in full swing now, and friends of ours, whom had come to see eyes for Gertrude came over to our table to say hi, we had almost finished our food by this stage, wanting to dance to the music.
My friends had asked if there were any free tables to the owner whom bought us our food, and he swiftly replied, I am very sorry we are fully booked, and we have a waiting list for tonight, I can see why.
Getting to the bar was a bit of an issue as Gertrude had the whole pub singing and dancing, the vibe was fantastic.
We had finished our food, and decided to stay at our table as we would loose our seats.
After the first set by eyes for Gertrude, we ordered puddings. Again fault less to the detail. The cheesecake, was light, and the wild berry sauce perfect and not at all sharp. It can with a small offering of what the owner described as "space dust".
Small pieces of chocolate that exploded on the tongue a great touch to the dish.
My friends shared the sticky toffee pudding, which smelt great, a question for the chef! "How do you get the ice cream to stay on the top".?
Chantelle and the band started the second set, and again the pub went crazy, people dancing and singing along to well known music.
Our friends finally returned to our table, and danced away behind us, a truly amazing evening with excellent food, and fantastic music provided by "Eyes for Gertrude ".
Am so glad we booked.
A big thank you to Simon and all his staff for making our evening truly magical.
We will be back.

Ali Fields.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2014

What a change the new tenants have made with entirely new decor and well-kept beer. They came in mid December. It is once again a pleasure to drink here after the best part of 20 years of management which failed to look after the locals. Welcome Simon and Lee

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Damerham
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#2 of 12 in Fordingbridge
Sandy Balls Holiday Village
Sandy Balls Holiday Village
#3 of 14 in Fordingbridge

Been to The Compasses Inn? Share your experiences!