“An unexpected restaurant, and a great value room.”

Chateau des Reynats
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked the orangerie at this hotel as I was on a motorcycle road trip to Biarritz and this was a convenient stop. The orangerie is a modern block to one side of the hotel and is a functional and pleasant environment for the money - it was very good value at £50 for the night for a double room. When I checked in I found that there was a bistro in the chateau and a 1* Michelin restaurant, and never one to pass up on some fine dining i had a great meal on my own there. I have to say the food was very good, probably a bit better than 1* but not quite 2* (i have reviewed a number of 3* restaurants on here). The staff were superb and put up with me looking a bit motorcycle scruffy sitting on my own and playing on my iphone all night, but the service was great and managed to make the meal pass over about 3 very pleasant hours. Very good indeed.

Room Tip: The rooms were great value and not much to choose from.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed in 3 hotels on this two week stay in France. I spent the most money , 220 Euro a night, on this hotel thinking that we would leave on a high note. Sad to say was not the case.

I guess one should always read the fine print however given the amount per room and the fact that even cheapo hotels all over the world have a shower in the room, I was taken aback to have no shower in this one. The narrow bath had a telephone nozzle but no curtain and no hook to hang the shower so either you flooded the place or gave up and sat in tub. As I write this I see my wife washing her hair in the sink....

I also expect at least a hot water jug in room, or some complimentary bottled water, but was not case.

Biggest disappointment though was the in house gastronomic restaurant that we were really looking forward to visiting. We were asked on chec- in if we wished to make a booking which I deferred to two hours later once we had figured our schedule. I then booked for following night.

Later that evening I get a phone call asking where we were. They got it one day early. No problem, it was moved till next evening. Next evening we show up in restaurant to be told by the Maitre D that we had no booking and they were totally full. His " Basil Fawlty " reaction to my claim that we definitely had a reservation, was too sweep us into the hotel reception and produce the restaurant log that "definitely" showed we had not booked. Then he disappeared in a huff back to restaurant leaving the other hotel staff looking completely embarrassed. Not one word of apology from him. When I suggested we had two more nights at the hotel to visit the restaurant I was informed "we are closed".

30 years ago I might have expected this attitude in France but today you just don't see nor expect it ... Real shame.

Anyway on the positive side the room was largest we had on trip. Bed was comfortable and staff in general we helpful. But the place is old and tired, needs some TLC and someone to inject some small standards that people expect if they she'll out USD 300 a night.

I will not return, but at least the maitre D story will raise some chuckles amongst my friends for some time to come !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I expected much more. The photos and the description from the red michelin guide are deceiving.
Though good, the hotel is somewhat not well kept, some rooms old fashioned, doors, beds a bit too old. Too expensive for the service you get. Good breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed 2 nights.... But only because we'd booked up front and paid in full! Very pretty to look at, nice part of France. Our booking was for a twin room, non-smoking, air conditioning. We got a smokers double, no air con, not even tea and coffee making facilities. Despite keeping roller blind down, room was humid and cooking by evening exacerbating the cigarette smell. We complained on checking in and looked at 3 rooms, but all were smoking! Receptionist said not his fault if people choose to smoke in rooms... Could it be that leaving an ash tray in each bedroom was a clue that you are allowed to smoke! Very disappointed and wouldn't use the Inter-Hotel chain again. On the plus side, Perigueux is beautiful and well worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SotonLady
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I agree with the other reviewers who gave this hotel a low rating.. i.e overpriced and disappointing (4 star it is not!). The hotel is 3 kilometres from the city, and we were not in a position to drive back into town to have dinner. (20 Euro with the taxi each way) so we decided to eat in the bistro (restaurant booked out) .. big mistake! Although the waiter was very pleasant, the meal was very minimalist and very average! I 'm sure the restaurant must be much nicer!!Back in our room we had to keep our window closed as there was a very loud event with revving go-carts and loud speakers happening closeby (the "chateau" is in the burbs of Periguiex). The lucky locals who managed to eat in the nice restaurant were also very loud as well as they left the hotel.
We were planning to stay 2 nights but left after the first.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!! If you want to experience staying in a lovely old chateau, choose another one...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roslynn S
Reviewed 12 September 2012

after booking this hotel purely on its reputation for gourmet eating .It was very disappointing after being given a very shabby room to being told that the restuarant was full that night and closed the next . We were given an a4 sheet with selection for the l`oison restaurant ,the selection was very limited as we would have been offered the sme for both nights we decided to go out for the first night and try the l`oison the next day.Guess what when tried to book in the morning we told it was fully booked ,none of the staff bothered to advise us to book early at any time. All very casual and off hand was the staff approach

Room Tip: try somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank confit
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We staid in this hotel with the family for one week and everything was OK but not splendid. The rooms are small, they don't have a single room that is big enough to accommodate two extra beds, so not good for families. There is no airconditioning and it does get hot, which means that one has to open the window and hear the cleaners and the gardeners at 6 am making noise in the garden. The breakfast is extensive but the service personnel is overstreched. So you might get the caffe at lait at the end of the breakfast. The pool is ok. We ate in the brasserie one evening and they literally have four choices in the menu, all refined high cousine and too small portions. Again, not suitable for kids. For half the price one can eat better in town. After this we travelled elsewhere in Dordogne and found much better quality/price ratio.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chancelade
Hotel Mercure Perigueux Centre Historique
L'Orangerie du Chateau des Reynats
Domaine D'essendieras
Domaine D'essendieras
#1 of 2 in Excideuil

Been to Chateau des Reynats? Share your experiences!