“Avoid.... if possible”

Hotel balladins Chilly-Mazarin
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Chilly-Mazarin
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Yes, this is a budget hotel so expectations are set low. However, even for the price, this hotel is terrible. Things didn't start well for my 2-day business stop-over when Reception could not find my reservation made via booking.com. I was a little worried as there was a "Hotel full" sign on the desk! Although my booking could not be found, I was actually allocated a room. The process was a little tricky as although a sign on the desk said "English spoken", I had difficulty making myself understood and had difficult understanding the explanation of my room, payment, breakfast etc.

There is no internal corridor to the rooms; they open directly onto the outside. My room key initially did not work and I had to make 3 attempts before my room door opened. The room had a damp, musty smell, similar to a public toilet! I eventually worked out that the smell was coming from the shower. It appears that there is no air-lock in the shower plumbing so all of the drain smells come up through the show plug hole. Once I'd worked this out, a damp towel placed over the plug hole stopped the problem. On my first night however, the smell was bad enough to wake me.

The lavatory had no toilet seat. I know this is often the case in public toilets in France but I really do expect to have a toilet seat in a hotel!

The wardrobe (no door) had no hanging rail; this was missing. And in any case, there were no hangers provided. So I just had the top shelf in the open wardrobe to place all of my clothes. Despite a notice in Reception saying that the rooms were air-conditioned, they are not. There is a room heater but no cooling. Consequently, the room got very warm at night time but I was unable to open the window for air/cooling as it opens up directly on the walkway outside. As an aside, the heater did not work initially, until I worked out that the fuse trip switch in the bathroom serving the heater had been switched off.

Once again, although there were in excess of 40 cable TV channels, there was only one English-speaking channel (CNN), despite English being the most commonly spoken 2nd language in Europe.

Lastly, I didn't expect much for breakfast, for only €6.... and I wasn't disappointed! A choice of bread rolls, croissants, cereals and yoghurt but nothing special (no fruit, cheeses, meats etc). Didn't really expect it though for €6.

I only stayed here as it was within walking distance of my business meetings (at the nearby Sanofi Aventis site) but on reflection I should have stayed somewhere else and booked a taxi!

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms. Avoid them all.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 May 2013

No it's not set in tropical gardens with Wilderbeast roaming across the lawns. We used it as a stopover for Orly airport, leaving the car there for a weekend and it served the purpose well. It is set on the edge of a trading estate, but we weren't there for the views. At least it was quiet at night. The 2 girls on reception were brilliant, organising taxis etc. It cost 20€ to get to the airport and the hotel charged 10€ a night for leaving the car there. All in all a great deal less than the alternative hotels. The room was small but adequate and clean. You get what you pay for. Plenty of places to eat, nearby, but would strongly recommend the Crocodile, about 3 minutes drive and consisting of 2 renovated railway carriages either side of the main eating area. Good value and as much wine as you can drink (helps you ignore the containers).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I am working in local airport and was put up in this hotel by the company I'm working for. Generally they are ok rooms I end up in but this was unexpected.

Hard to find, no local pubs or resturaunts, room not particularly clean. Smelled of cigarettes very badly, had problems with keys and noise at night was not useful.

Have complained to my firm and hopefully will never have to be back.

Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 15 July 2011

If I had wanted to stay in a room as accommodating as a cargo container I would have just shipped myself there in one of them in the many containers that surrounded this hotel. The hotel is buried in the middle of an industrial complex and is conveniently located next to NOTHING. The inside of the room had as little furnishings and amenities as possible, I wonder if it could even be classified as a hotel room. We were lucky enough to have a ground floor room which happened to be set up to be wheelchair accessible, but we found it very strange that the ONE and ONLY electrical outlet in the room was located just above the entrance door right next to the ceiling. Is this some sort of a cruel joke, only put 1 outlet in a wheelchair friendly room and place as far out of reach as possible. I am lucky enough to be 6' 4" and I was barely able to reach to plug in my cell phone charger.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank VeryBadTrip11
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Cheap hotel with free parking lot. The key card of my room didn't work, the room was small and not very clean. Loud during the night. An unpleasant stay. I booked for two nights, but I stayed only for one.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 December 2009

After Balladins in Brussels, this one was truly gruesome. The guy at Brussels must have known what it would be like because he hedged that 'remember not all Balladins are like this one'. How right he was - this one was a cramped and stuffy little ground-floor room that bore absolutely no resemblance to the pics and write-up on the company's site (it is not 'near' shops and restaurants and the advertised internet wireless service did not exist. We had been staying at hostels in England and Scotland and had no unrealistic expectations of 'budget' accommodation, but the sorry state of this hotel (and being pickpocketed on the train on our way there) left a nasty impression of Paris. The staff were pleasant but did not seem surprised at our disappointment. I'm sure they'd heard it all before.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank BeejAustralia
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Stayed there New years eve on our way to Spain. After booking in at reception and given the key to our room, they said that reception was now closing to go to a party. Our room was very basic and smelled of mould. On putting the light on we could see why as there big black patches of mould in two corners and a large patch under the window. I went back to reception but it was all locked up, at about 19.30 The breakfast was a little better than expected considering the state of the rooms. The toilet was so small you had to open the shower door to sit on the toilet (and look at the black mould inside). Stayed in another balladins hotel on the way back and it was staying in the ritz compared to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TreccoTaff

Been to Hotel balladins Chilly-Mazarin? Share your experiences!