Le Rayon Vert(Deshaies)
US$92
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,045 results
All reviewsbeach barpizzakids clubbeach bungalowdinner buffettennis courtspaninisthe hotel offersmain buildingbasse terrerented a carwater sportsbeautiful beachenglish speaking staffocean viewlocal staffbig hotel
Reviewed 16 June 2016

The Guadeloupe Islands are an overseas department of France located in the Lesser Antilles near Martinique. Once I learned that one of my very favorite television programs, Death In Paradise, is filmed on location in the Guadeloupe Islands, and Norwegian Airlines was starting non-stop round trip flights from BWI for as little as $250 - I knew I had to make the trip.

Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal is a beautiful bit of paradise located on the western most Guadeloupe island of Basse-Terre. The staff was amazing, multi-lingual and attentive. We were greeted with warm smiles and a plantar's punch. We rented one of the bungalows. It was roomy, attractive and comfortable. The only issue we had was that the internet in the room was delivered via a hard line which didn't work. Despite multiple requests the internet issue was never adequately addressed. There is WiFi on the property, but it was spotty. Not a deal breaker - I don't go on vacation to spend time online. It just would have been nice as local television is in French.

I love to swim in the ocean. The ocean here had very strong currents, but it was still great for swimming. There is a section of the beach that is not safe to swim, and we were made aware of it at check in. We spent most of our time under the sun in the clear blue water. It was so relaxing, a real getaway. Most of the other guests were European and that made it seem even more like a real getaway from the US.

The hotel offers several excursions. We took an affordable excursion trekking into the rain forest to an amazing water fall. It was stunning, and I am seriously out of shape. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

The main restaurant at the hotel was buffet style. It was expensive. The food was good, but not a great. Breakfast was included, and I enjoyed it more than the dinner. The beach bar had great pizza, pasta and salads. They also had white chocolate & strawberry flavored Magnum ice cream bars. **Amazing** Sadly, I have not been able to find them here in the US. We ate most of our meals at the little bar. On some evenings there was live entertainment outside at the bar which was quite good.

We did venture into the town of Deshaies and had a great meal of curried chicken, and some rum punch followed by shopping. It's a lovely small town, and I hope to spend more time there when I return. Yes, I will be returning! Overall, I was very pleased with my stay at Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pbnjgrl
Reviewed 10 June 2016

I have enjoyed:
The beautiful bungalows.
The stunning sunset by the beach.
The very good and fast service
And neither to mention the really nice restaurant with reasonable prices and high quality buffet.
Hats off to the very nice staff!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Mariame H
Reviewed 21 May 2016

I recently visited Langley Fort Royal for a second time and I really enjoyed it again. As I explained in my first review (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g666463-d151110-r345249767-Langley_Resort_Hotel_Fort_Royal_Guadeloupe-Deshaies_Basse_Terre_Island_Guadeloupe.html), the hotel’s beaches and facilities are gorgeous, and the nearby village of Deshaies is charming. The hotel is located on a sliver of land that juts out into the ocean, while the bungalows are directly on the
long beach and nearby hillside (and some bungalows are only about a dozen
steps from the ocean). Overall, I found Fort Royal to be a classic, low-key,
relaxed Caribbean resort that is very family friendly and has a fully English-speaking staff.

The suite I had was beautiful. There were large floor-to-ceiling glass windows and
balconies on two sides. There was a very large living room with two pull-out
twin beds, and a separate bedroom with a king bed. The living room had two
nice sofas and a coffee table, a full work desk, small refrigerator, and
flat-screen TV. The front balcony looked toward the ocean and the side
balcony looked toward the “wilder” of the hotel’s two beaches. The
views were fantastic; the sun rose over the beach and set over the ocean. The
two bathrooms were spacious with pretty red tiles and had convenient decorative ladders in the showers for hanging wet clothes, which was a nice touch. There was a lot of water pressure and large drains to handle the beach sand – something I find many beach hotels forget.

My children loved the beaches and activities (volleyball, kayaks, pool, etc.).
There were lots of other children around for them to play with. They also liked the
Kids Club, which had planned activities (treasure hunts, arts and
crafts, etc) each day. The Kids Club was staffed with about 3 or 4 very friendly attendants (usually 2 or 3 female, 1 male) for about 10-15 children. All the Kids Club staff spoke English (in addition to other languages), as did all other staff at the hotel.

We had the half-board plan and thought the food was quite good. With children, the buffets were very convenient. Breakfast was plentiful. For dinner, the main courses and desserts changed daily, and there were always pizzas, soup, and small salad offerings. The beach bar had quick lunches: paninis, pizzas and salads; and the prices were reasonable (6 Euros for a panini, 10-15 for a pizza).

One thing that several guests and I noticed: although the hotel was
completely full (with parking overflowing onto the grassy areas), the beaches
and restaurant never felt crowded. I think this is because the hotel grounds
and beach are long and spread-out, and also because many guests take
excursions during the day. There is a lot of hiking, biking, snorkeling,
fishing, outdoor markets, etc. in Guadeloupe, and we saw many guests packing up every day to go on day trips.

A few thoughts about things that others have mentioned:

Parking and check-in: some reviewers have complained about the distance from
the main parking lot to reception/check-in. There must be some confusion about the check-in process. When you arrive, tell the security guard at the gated
entrance that you need to check-in. If there are any language issues, just say “check in” and “reception” and point straight ahead toward the next gate (it looks like a drop-down toll gate) and the big hotel building. The guard will let you go through to the next gate (the red/white “toll gate” several feet straight ahead -after- the guard’s
building), which will raise when you pull up to it, and then you drive straight on to the
reception desk. Do not turn into the parking lot on the left or take the road
to the left; go straight ahead through the “toll gate” and on to the hotel.
Reception is in the low building on the left side of the road just
before the big white hotel building; the signs are a little hard to see, especially at night. You park near reception, check in and unload your luggage right next to the hotel building. There are self-service luggage carts inside the hotel building next to the elevators. After you finish unloading, you can then take your car back to the main parking lot and walk back to the hotel. You do NOT have to drag your luggage all the way from the parking lot.

Beach chairs: some have remarked that the beach and pool chairs cost 10 Euros
per day. This is not so. Guests at the hotel can use all beach chairs (and
all other facilities) without charge. There are little signs that explain
that only non-guests have to pay.

Elevators: some have complained that the two elevators at the end of the
hotel (facing reception) were sometimes out of service. I didn’t experience
that, but even so, there is an easy solution: there are elevators in the
middle and at the far end of the hotel. To get to these you walk up one flight
of stairs to level 1 (the first guest level) and then walk down the hall
to the other elevators.

Rental cars: Europcar has an office in the hotel lobby. Hertz has an office
about 100 yards from the hotel back through the main gate. I heard that both
were sold out, so you should probably reserve a couple of days in advance. I used Europcar and was pleased – I had a car that was practically new.

Airport shuttle: the hotel has a van to take guests to/from the airport. The people I talked to said it was dependable and less expensive than a taxi. The drive to/from the airport is a minimum 35 minutes, sometimes an hour.

Massages: the reception desk books massages, which are given in a little cabin
where the waves crash into the rocks. It’s quite an experience.

The BBC Program “Death in Paradise”: several episodes have been filmed at
the hotel. Sometimes the hotel plays itself - a hotel. Other times it plays the role of something else, like a clinic. The crew and some of the cast sometimes stay at the hotel. (I learned all this from watching the show and talking to the hotel staff.)

Condition of the hotel building and pavement: some reviewers have remarked on
the condition of the hotel’s exterior and the pavement around the property.
I agree that there is some room for improvement. The management told me they are aware of it and plan to address it. The main building is white so it shows every flaw, and some of the balcony railing has rusted over the years. The concrete walkways up to the hotel have some cracking and crumbling. For me, these were very minor issues. The inside of the hotel building is fine, the rooms are nice, and with all the scenery nearby you won’t need to spend much time critiquing the architecture.

Fort Royal is an unpretentious place with nice facilities, an absolutely gorgeous location, and two beautiful beaches right on the property. In short – I think it’s a really good choice and I hope to stay there again when I return to Guadeloupe next time.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have best views.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
8  Thank radio71
Reviewed 10 May 2016

We stayed in Langley Resort for 3 nights after 4 nights in Grand Terre (total 7 nights in Guadeloupe). We had a Sea view Bungalow No.13 which was very nice and cozy and close to the restaurant and breakfast buffet, it was clean (everyday changing towels if you want),there is a safe and the wifi worked well (some problems if the hotel is crowded). Very beautiful beach,relaxing where you can use beach chairs and a nice bar where you can have your drinks,coffee and eat sandwiches,pizza and the pasta of the day. The breakfast buffet has a variety of eating choises and it was one the best i have ever tried.
You defenetely have to rent a car in order first of all to come to the hotel and second to explore the nearby area,Deshaies,Grand Anse beach, Waterfalls etc.
BUT,also one down thing....during our first evening we found a cockroach in our bathroom...i went to the reception and mention it and though a receptionist came immediately and spray with bugs spray our bathroom and killed the cockroach,
the response was: This is normal,you are in tropical Carribean island.... (I partly agree although).
Overall it was a great,pleasant and relaxing stay.
I would recommend it

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kostaevi
Reviewed 2 May 2016

My husband surprised me and whisked me away to Guadeloupe for our first anniversary. We stayed at the Langley Resort Hotel for 5 nights. It was absolutely spectacular. We had a quaint bungalow right on the beach with a jungle directly behind us. While there were a lot of families at the resort, we were isolated from the crowds. The service was great...everyone was very friendly. I would definitely recommend the resort to anyone seeking a relaxing escape.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple