We checked in yesterday afternoon, this part of Sicily is beautiful the external appearance of the hotel and grounds is very picturesque. We checked in and were asked to find our own rooms in the hotels annex. We waited 5 minutes before the hotel reception opened the gate for us. Initially, the room we had been allocated seemed very nice, but it quickly transpired that the air conditioning was not working, after being messed around for an hour. The reception apologised, told us the engineer had informed him that the air conditioning was not working in the annex. We were invited to relocate onto the second floor of the main building. These two rooms were smaller and not as well kept as the other rooms we had just vacated.
We switched on the air conditioning and the air coming out was not cooled as it should have been. After 20 minutes I went down to reception, they assured me that the air conditioning was working and I needed to give it a little time.
We decided to go out for dinner as the set-menu at 25 euros per person seemed a little pricey for what was being offered. Also my wife is vegetarian and there were no veg options on the menu. The receptionist did say that they could 'manage' some vegetarian food. But our general experience is that if it has not been put on the menu, the food is unlikely to be very good.
We found a fantastic wood burning oven pizza restaurant called Pizzeria Gusto‘ Di Mirabile Lucia, Via IV Novembre N 173-L Zafferana (tel.347/8334938) at 6 euros or less for a fabulous large pizza I would certainly recommend this eatery. All the locals seemed to be popping in for sit-down and takeaways.
On returning to the hotel we were advised that the outdoor pool was unavailable because of a private party. Back in our room, we found that the vent was still blowing out air that had never seen the inside of an air conditioning cooler. We asked reception for an oscillating fan and two were promptly delivered. Rather noisy in use they helped, however, at 1 a.m. I went back down to reception ‘sweating’ good and proper. The night porter after a little interpretation from another member of staff when over to a fuse board behind the reception and announced that he had switched circuits and everything would be better. Did not make a blind bit of difference.
4 a.m still unable to sleep, with complaints about the heat from my poor wife, dog, and father I retreated to the air conditioned comfort of my car.
Breakfast is served from 7:30 a.m to 10:00 a.m. Very pleasant and a nice choice of continental foods.
It was also surprising that there is no information within the hotel room. We had to visit reception a few times to ask about the restaurant and menu. The receptionist kindly photocopied the menu for me. When asked about the available facilities a long list was given in broken english. Why not just make up a folder with relevant information in for each room?
There were a few other issues, mould in the top corner of the shower, broken light fittings, corridor noise, and a very annoying light penetrating through one of the air-vents in the wall - this I traced to a light fitting in the suspended ceiling of the adjacent corridor.
Bath robe and slipper is an additional 10 euros, so reception informed me.
All-in-all a Very different experience from what I was hoping for. Staff seemed to be incredulous that some guests choose a hotel for its facilities. Had I have been told that the hotel did not have working air conditioning I would have moved to another.
If you love the heat, don’t need air conditioning, not worried about the people in the room next to you hearing every word you say. Don’t mind the odd stray light intruding into your bedroom. Have no need for english speaking TV (Not working in my room, though my father did have CNN on their TV). Don’t mind poorly kept rooms - the free bar-fridge in the room had a couple of sparking water bottles and one of fruit juice. Then you might enjoy your stay. For me Never Again.
The only thing that did work correctly was the WiFi in the hotel reception allowing me to post these comments.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Airone Wellness Hotel has 62 rooms which include from the double rooms to the familiar rooms, differentiated in several typologies: standard, superior panoramic and junior suite, almost all have a balcony. Rooms are provided of the necessities for spending a nice stay, in each one there’s a private bathroom with hairdryer and toiletries, free mini-bar, TV Sat LCD with 32-inch screen, air conditioning, strongbox and tea facilities to allow to the guests to have always a hot drink whenever he want. Of the 62 rooms, 11 are placed in the Depandance, a three-storied building easy to reach directly from the parking, and enjoy a panoramic view on a grassy patio overlooking the eastern shore. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Studio Scivoletto S.r.l. , Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Airone Wellness Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Airone Hotel Zafferana Etnea
- Airone Wellness Hotel Sicily/Zafferana Etnea, Italy