“Spent 4 relaxing days in a beautiful room right on the lake.”
Review of Thumbi View Lodge

Thumbi View Lodge
Mesa, Arizona
“Spent 4 relaxing days in a beautiful room right on the lake.”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

The rooms, service, and host were amazing. The views and sunsets from the beach which is about 100ft from my room were incredible. Clean and friendly. I loved that shops and other resturants were just a out the gate or a 5 minute walk down the beach.

nnoeth, Owner at Thumbi View Lodge, responded to this review, 6 November 2014
Thank you for your review, and thank you for choosing Thumbi to get to know Cape Maclear. Clearly you fell in love as much with the place as we did and it was such a pleasure having you stay here. We do hope you will be back and look forward to it

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 30 August 2014

The owners of this place are awesome! The rooms are nice with mosquito nets and nice breezes. The place is directly on the lake so as you walk out of your room you see the beautiful lake and islands. It is gated and very safe and secure. Near lots of craft markets and friendly locals who love to see tourists. I will absolutely be back. The entire staff was great.

nnoeth, Owner at Thumbi View Lodge, responded to this review, 6 November 2014
Thank you for taking the time to mention us here. Yes Cape Maclear is like the worlds was before. Greeting strangers that pass you, being able to walk down the road at 20h00 and not to worry about safety. This is our Cape Maclear and it is always an honour to share if with guests. Hope to see you back soon
Lilongwe, Lilongwe, Malawi
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I loved being here! The couple that owns the place is such a sweet couple, beautiful servant hearts and always willing to help with anything. The rooms are nice, hot showers and a beautiful view of the Lake! Food is AMAZING!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
nnoeth, Owner at Thumbi View Lodge, responded to this review, 6 November 2014
Thank you for the visit and for taking the time to let us know you loved it. It is an amazing place, where I am sitting in the restaurant now I hear birds all around, with Fish eagles a bit back, cool breeze coming through here and in half an hour we are going for a swim in the lake. Sorry I hope I do not make you miss it too much! It was a pleasure having you here and we are so looking forward to the next visit.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Affordable accommodation, very friendly staff and they were willing to help us in difficulties which occurred (such as not having enough cash...). Rooms were really nice and clean but a bit noisy due to the Bar close to the lodge. We would definately come again!

nnoeth, Owner at Thumbi View Lodge, responded to this review, 6 November 2014
Thank you very much for the review. Your visit coincided with the inauguration of the new chief and the town celebrated it. But we are in a fishing village it gets a bit noisy some times. But it still sounds if you enjoyed your visit and for that we are very happy. We are constantly busy with renovations and hope you will be pleasantly surprised when you come back.
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Thumbi is a place like no other. A must stay! The staff is incredible and tend to your every need without being overwhelming. The rooms provide all that one could as for and the lodge is like being home. I have stayed in many lodges in Africa over the last 4 years and this is by far the best. The prices are very fair, you NEVER feel taken advantage of and the food.... INCREDIBLE!
I cannot express how impressed I am with this place... You will have to visit to know. When you do, say hi to all at the lodge and the village. Not only is the lodge incredible, the village is safe and very real! The only complaint I have is that I could not stay longer (I stayed 9 days as a line female traveler). Zikomo Chris, Noleen, Piet and Richard!

nnoeth, Owner at Thumbi View Lodge, responded to this review, 6 November 2014
Thank you so much for this! We really appreciate it. It was such a pleasure having you here for that time, and talk about the perfect client, that is you. I hope your soil analysis was successful and we can't wait for you to be back. This time make sure not to sit in a village in the middle of nowhere, COME HERE! See you soon
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I really enjoyed my time at Cape MacLear. Thumbi View Lodge was amazing! It was a perfect place for backpackers and other travellers alike. It attracts friendly people - I've made many friends while staying at Thumbi. Noleen, Chris, and Piet are great people: very friendly and very accommodating. The food was amazing; only topped by the incredible view! I would strongly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Any room is great, the backpackers rooms are very affordable and are great!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
nnoeth, Owner at Thumbi View Lodge, responded to this review, 6 November 2014
Thank you for the review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you fell in love with Cape Maclear like we did. Hope to see you back soon
WashingtonDC
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed there one night with a friend. I knew it was very basic and a work-in-progress. We had a comfortable, clean room. The shower was hot and with great water pressure. The owners were helpful and accommodating. The lodge was a few doors down from the the kayak rental- which my friend and I used. The weakest part of the whole weekend was that the dinner options were very limited. Everyone was served at the same time. So even though we ordered dinner around 5, we weren't served until 7- when everyone was served. The amount of food was average- but for a guy, it may be on the small side. Otherwise, I was happy with my time there and would definitely go back. .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
nnoeth, Owner at Thumbi View Lodge, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post the review. We have had so many compliments regarding our eating arrangements, because of the family feel, that we were not aware that you did not like this. At dinner different people get a chance to meet each other and use the opportunity to form new friendships as well as sharing travel tips. We are always open to suggestions, so we now offer dinner for a longer period in order to accommodation the people that want to dine earlier. We will look at portion size however, it is difficult because one person's " to much" is another's "to little". Hope to see you back soon and enjoy the rest of your travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Maclear
#2 of 20 in Mangochi
Cape Maclear EcoLodge
Cape Maclear EcoLodge
#6 of 19 in Cape Maclear

Been to Thumbi View Lodge? Share your experiences!