“Definitely would not stay here again!!”

Finas Hotel Apartments
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We are not posh, stuck up, difficult to please complainers - we are a young couple who like to have a good time on holiday and if the hotel isn't what we expected we will always try to make the best of a bad situation AS LONG AS THE HOTEL IS CLEAN!!!
Upon arrival late at night we checked in and made our way to our room - very nearly walking through a pile of sick on the stairs outside reception! When we arrived in our room I was SO disappointed! The room was FILTHY!! There were dead spiders all over the wall, very dubious looking stains on the bed, no toilet roll and no shower curtain! As we were hoping for a shower before bed I wasn't very happy! So off I trotted down to reception - past the pile of sick again - and was handed a nearly fully used roll of toilet paper and told someone would come and put us a shower curtain up the next day so ended up getting a shower without one!! Sure enough next day someone came and put us up a mouldy shower curtain - think I preferred it without one. Next morning we were held hostage in our room by a cat that hissed at us every time we tried to leave our room and kept trying to get in our room!! I love cats but these are wild cats and obviously dont like people!! The cleaners always seemed to be sat around having a nice chin wag just at the side of reception rather than actually doing any cleaning - no wonder the rooms are so filthy! The bar was a little bit too loud for my liking and would have been better suited to Faliraki than Pefkos but I can't say the noise from the bar disturbed us - but then our room was right at the edge of the complex so if you were nearer the pool area then maybe it would. We actually drank in here on a couple of occassions so it wasn't THAT bad! Came back one night to find ants crawling out of the floor tiles and all up the bathroom door and all in the bath!! I even went out and bought a load of cleaning stuff a few days into our holiday and cleaned the room myself as I found it that disgusting but this is not something I should be having to do when I have paid to stop in apartments on a HOLIDAY! The couple who managed the hotel were MISERABLE! I on a few occassions saw the woman speaking to people like crap and I don't think the man could have given less of a damn if he tried!
There were a couple of not too bad points about the hotel - despite some of the other reviews on here I actually didn't find the pool area too bad - we could always find sun beds and even though I don't swim so didn't use the pool my partner did and he didn't have any complaints. We also ate our breakfast here most mornings and found the food to be quite nice. Some of the staff were pleasant and friendly enough.
All in all we had an okay holiday but I can't really attribute any of this to the Finas - we definitely won't be returning mainly because of the cleanliness issue! I was actually glad we had only gone for a 1 week holiday and not 2!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Loubylou_11

Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is the 3rd visit to Pefkos and love it, we will be back, but will never stay at the Finas again. Yes it's cheap, but very run down, over 2 weeks we had a list of disasters, first night the door handle fell off and couldn't lock the door, could only find 2 sockets that worked, the others were either hanging off the wall by the wires or didn't work at all. 1 ate my mosi plug by pulling the prong out. On 4 separate occassions we had no water at all, when reported to reception was told it would be back on again sometime later as water pressure was low, low it was non existant. My partners bed collapsed. Cleaners took our toilet roll, on more than 1 occassion from the bathroom after we had to supply it ourselves and took our towels and left us with none. Drinks at bar were watered down, and in general the staff were unhelpful and uninterested in our complaints, and at the least miserable and rude. I have holidayed all over the Greek Islands and know the accommodation is basic in most places but this "Hotel" was dire. On speaking to our fellow guests we found that ours were not isolated incidents but were common place. We paid for airconditioning that was pre-set at 17degs, and couldn't turn it down any lower, which would be acceptable under normal circumstances but in a heatwave of 40+ was not able to cool the room.

5  Thank Lesley19600
Reviewed 25 July 2011

fantastic holiday great hosts great staff great rep kelly room cleaned every day but basic entrtainment in hotel vereygood somthing for everybody loads of good resaurants in resort just one complaint i wish the british will stop complaining relax and enjoy your holiday!

5  Thank linda186326
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We first went to Finas for week 5 years ago for a 'cheap' week and having read several bad reviews, were very worried. We had a wondeful time and have now been back for the last 3 years for our main 2 week holiday. The complex is just outside the main centre, and as it is high, the view from all the rooms we have stayed in have been panaromic across the bay. You also get the benefit of any breeze around when it's hot.

Please do consider the negative reviews But remember, this is Greece, and one of the reasons we love the Finas is the great value for money. Don't expect 5* at 2* prices, but do expect holidaymakers of all ages having a great time.

We love Pefkos and the main strips of bars and restaurants, the beaches and tavernas, but if you don't want to go far (or it's too hot) there is plenty still within a couple of minutes walk. Each year, the Staff at the Finas spend time and money upgrading different areas, and the beautiful gardens are part of this. The food in Finas is very good, but let Aris, who runs the complex with his wife Rachel, help you decide as the Chef is Greek but you still have English options. The Pool and bar areas are well thought out and very comfortable, even in peak July we didn't have any trouble finding sunbeds which weren't broken or seating. Cameron, the Bar Manager, would put a litre of wine in the fridge for us, so it was always cold. The entertainment is designed for the majority of holidaymakers and isn't every night, but there other bars locally if you don't want to listen to the Karaoke, notably the Rock Garden and Peacock Bar. Having said that, we have found the quality of Karaoke at Finas to be the best we've come across. The Mama Mia nights are a highlight. All the Staff are very helpful and will try to help with any issues, provided you are polite and friendly with them too.

A special mention for the Tavena Anixis, just to the left of Finas. This is our favourite, with excellent food and the best waiting staff in Pefkos. It's family run. traditional, and exceptional value. Can't fault it.

Room Tip: We've never had a room where the noise from the bar is a problem.
5  Thank 1greyhound
Reviewed 22 July 2011

had a brilliant time at the finas the staff were great the rooms were fine they were cleaned every day music bit loud at night but wot do u expect its a holiday complex i say go enjoy the finas its a great place and cant wait to go back

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank celtic50
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We have travelled to Greece on many occasions, and having read many of the negative reviews here went to the Finas we with a degree of trepidation as to what we were letting ourselves in for. We do tend to go with an open mind - having done ‘basic’ before, we appreciate that one persons view can be totally different of another’s. We are of the opinion that so long as we have somewhere to sleep and have a shower then we’re generally happy, but we do share the views expressed in earlier reviews that ‘basic’ is okay so long as it is clean. It was our first visit to Rhodes, and regrettably the apartment we stayed in could not be described as that. Whether that is due to the fact that this is a larger complex than we have stayed in previously I don’t know – that shouldn’t make any difference.

The room was fine size wise, in need of a little TLC but otherwise okay. We had a one-bedroom apartment near the back of the complex, with good sea views. The floor had been swept, but I don’t think it had seen a mop for a while – similarly in the bathroom where there were stains on the floor around the toilet that appeared to be dried urine. We did complain to the Rep’ who arranged for it to be cleaned – however it wasn’t done properly and I insisted the ‘Rep’ came and had a look for herself – she agreed it wasn’t acceptable. The kitchen area was what you would expect – basic – however there was no plug for the kitchen sink (reception said they were on order) it was stained and we had to resort to washing the dishes and utensils in the bathroom sink. We also had to wash dishes and utensils prior to using them as they had traces of dried food on them. I had to pull the bed out on one occasion in order to remove a cat that sneaked in having decided under the bed was a nice cool place to stay – that hadn’t seen a brush or a mop for some considerable time – it was filthy dirty!!!! Mirrors on the wardrobe and bathroom had splash marks on them, which hadn’t been wiped properly. We only had two changes of towels in two weeks and one change of sheets. The cleaners didn’t visit every day, and when they did come in, it was only to empty the bins. Like I say, we’ve done basic before – but never dirty. This was extremely disappointing.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not all doom and gloom – the staff at the Finas were very nice, the bar area was okay, cluttered in terms of furniture and we thought the pool area was fine (it did get a little crowded on occasions) – we only ate snacks there at lunchtime occasionally, tending to go into town in the evenings for our main meals. It was a little ‘tacky’ in terms of karaoke and bingo. Music in the evenings wasn’t that loud and it certainly didn’t bother us when in our room – but then again we were at the back of the complex – we can understand that those in rooms overlooking the bar may have had issues with the noise.

Rhodes is a lovely Island, and Pefkos itself is a lovely resort with plenty of Taverna’s, bars etc and has a nice beach area – in addition there are some very nice hotels around. We particularly enjoyed the Rock Garden, Oasis and Bambooze Bars. The weather is very, very hot, and air conditioning is a must.

Overall we had a very enjoyable time, and were determined that the shortcomings of the Finas didn’t spoil the holiday for us. Would we go back to Pefkos – definitely. Would I go back to the Finas – definitely not.

2  Thank Mister_Penn
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I would like to say what a really nice holiday i had staying at the Finas, The accomodation was small but big enough for my requirements - to sleep in! It could be described as dated but i would say it was tradtional (The quaint french doors and shutters were greek-like and added to the character of the surroundings). The kitchen facility was basic but adequate. I didnt sample the food at the Finas as I ate out with friends who were staying elsewhere. The general cleanliness was good. Its not a five star so dont travel expecting the best! For what I paid for my week it certainly more than pleased me with what i got. Pefkos i would say is a nice family/couple type of resort not full of bars playing loud music, it had a more relaxed feel. I would almost say it felt like a slightly up market kind of resort with lots of nice bars and restaurants offering good value fayre in comfortable surroundings. Pefkos did it for me!!

Room Tip: The air con in room is 50 euros per wk extra-consider this before travelling as i didnt budget for t...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family