“It was horrible, dirty, rude!! AVOID!! Hell hole is the best way to describe.”

Finas Hotel Apartments
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
London, United Kingdom
“It was horrible, dirty, rude!! AVOID!! Hell hole is the best way to describe.”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We are a mid 20's couple who holiday regularly and have experienced 5 star down to 2 star and have never been dissapointed so far. However the FINAS HELL HOLE has changed that!!!

On our first night we arrived at the hotel, first thoughts were ok to be fair untill we got into our room and noticed the first of many problems which we asked to be solved but immediately saw how terrible and rude both the receptionists were.

The people who were in there before us had kicked the door off (we knew this because the receptionist had the cheek to tell us, yet do nothing about it!) so the door lock was broken and our door would not lock! I went down to reception and mentioned it to the guy in reception, he then came up and was supposed to fix it, he never did and said "OH THIS IS OK ITS FINE IT WELL BE SAFE" !! NOT IN MY BOOKS!! Any way after the guy had gone back down me and my partner opened the balcony door to find out that was broken to!! So again i strolled down to reception!! Bearing in mind I had been up and travelling all morning noon and night and to get an attitude at reception (rolling of the eyes) this was the last thing we needed!! So again he came back up to have a loook and yet again did nothing about it but this time we were at least told some one would come up in the morning and fix every thing, so left it at that believing it would get sorted !! Did it ......... u must be joking!!

The air conditioning ...... went down to reception to pay for the air conditioning 50 euros! We were given the controls and went back to the room to un pack put air con on , and guess what.... that didnt work!! So went down to reception again to get spoken to in a disgusting manner, his words and i quote-"what do u want me to do about it!!" After this i just gave up i didnt want to make a seen overall i had just arrived on hoilday!

Luckily my partners parents were also staying in Pefkos,so due to such an unwelcoming atmosphere the next day we went straight to the Pefkos Beach Club Hotel which after even an hour we realised how fantastic it was!! We could not fault it any any way at all other then we should of stayed there!!

As the week went on we sat awaiting our cleaner...SHE NEVER ARRIVED!!! The whole holiday we did not have a cleaner at any time with no clean towels, no sweeping, no nothing!!

Lastly towards the end of the holiday (we had stayed away from the hell hole that is the FINAS as much as possible) as walking through the reception I fell down the stairs, banged my head and could have been seriously injured. The "professional" receptionist just stared whilst stood there chain smoking with no concern of the well being of her guest by not even attempting to ask if I was ok or apologise for the wet stairs that caused this!! ISurely not only is it a duty as a hotel representative, but as a human being to check that everything was ok??? NOT IN THE FINAS!!!

I cannot get across to anyone that is planning a holiday here how lovely Pefkos itself is. We regularly holiday and this was one of the best so far. People are so friendly (NOT IN THE FINAS) and there is something for everyone to do (including a fish pedicure which we both enjoyed) and it is aparent why people come back to Pefkos year after year!

The finas hotel is not fit for a dog, please dont ruin your Pefkos experience by staying at the FINAS. Stay away!! Dont do what we did and read the reviews and take a chance...it will ruin your holiday!

The final word, go to Pefkos and stay at the Pefkos Beach Hotel (or Pefki Islands which we visted one night!) Yes you pay slightly more but every penny is worth it. Have just got back home 20 mins ago and this is the first thing I have before I even made a cuppa as I do not want anyone to book the Finas! PLEASE PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THE HELL HOLE!!!!

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Simon G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Spent a week at the Finas retured 14th August... yes the maids are not the greatest but the roms are ok and kept fairly clean... location is perfect,, staff fantastic.. food is great... lovely local Tavernas to eat at.Anixis and Nicholas off to the left of the studios.... I read previous reviews and went worried..no need to be.. yes they are a bit dated but what does everyone expect for the price paid.. real good value for money and I would return any time.... Pefkos is fantastic.. not too loud and perfect for families and couples alike... just wish some people would just go to enjoy themselves.Greece is basic in any case..I don't go on hols to cook food... eat out the food is fantastic...live a little.....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Brummiehome
Cumbria
Reviewed 17 August 2011

It was our first girls holiday, and Pefkos was picked as a cheap, hot, but not too busy compremise with the parents. We only paid £300 each inc flights, which you could tell with the quality of the room.

When we arived, we were made to stand in reception in 35 degree+ heat for half an hour until everyone had checked in and got aircon sorted. Surly we could have been given a map or another member of staff helping? Aircon cost 50 euros and worth buying, fit that into your budget before you even leave. TAKE YOUR OWN PILLOW, I couldn't stress that enough. The bedding was very uncomfortable, and a good pillow would have made a big difference.

We only stayed for one week, and by the end we were glad we were leaving (the room not Pefkos!) as it was starting to get very grotty. Towels were changed 3 times as was the bedding, but no evidence of actual cleaning going on.
There were no cleaning products, or cloths in the rooms, so I would recomend taking a dish cloth and some fairy liquid just or some wipes just so you can try and clean up after your self. There is also no soap is provided in the bathroom. Food from supermarkets is very expensive, (other than fruit and water) so we took our own food for nibbles (breadsticks, malt loaf etc) which worked really well and saved us money. There is no cooking equipment, not even a wooden spoon. So the only meal I made was very basic and it was impossible to wash up after!
The food at the bar was one of the better places we ate during the week, although we had shocking rude service on the last day before our 1pm transfer, when we had to leave without food to catch our tranfer despite sitting down 2 hours earlier. A sad stressful end to the holiday!
Overal the staff were relatively friendly, although we didn't have to interact with them frequently. Cambell the bar man was lively and good banter, although not always 100% accurate on prices and orders so keep your wits about you when getting drinks.

The pool was nice, and a childrens pool meant that the main pool wasn't over run with stressed parents! Lots of familys and games in the pool as it was the only cool place. Great for familys, but if you want quite and grown up then Finas is not for you! To get a good (not broken) sun lounger took getting up early, but that is the same in every resort I've ever been in!
Pefkos is a beautiful area, the locals are very friendly and the weather was gorgeous. The beaches are busy, but very well kept and feel safe. It was nice as a teenage girl to not get the feeling of being harrased all the time. Tarpis was our best meal, not too expensive, amazing food, friendly staff and stunning baklava. Avoid the place next to the Chinnese with Greek collums (not the one which had steps going down) Can't remember its name.. It looked lovely, but food was awful stale bread, cold main etc.
Eclipse is well worth heading to, free entry and no age limit which was nice as families could head down for a drink after dinner. Mainly young people though, and the dancing bit in the middle had air con-genius! Staff at eclipse were brilliant and you felt very welcome untill the early hours.
I will be going back to Pefkos for sure, I wouldnt rush back the Finas, it should really be 2*.
Pefkos is such a beautiful place no matter how bad your hotel, you will have a stunning holiday. If you do go the Finas, keep an eye out for the Peacock it's stunning! Also try walking up the hill away from the main strip of Pekfos. We only did on the last night and wish we did earlier, stunning coves and beaches.
Go not expecting luxary, and explore and you will have a great holiday.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Ive stayed here a few times now and have never had a problem. Rhodes is a gorgeous Island and Pefkos is quite quiet but you can have a good time until 12-1am!
Finas has a lovely pool with sunbeds around and also private sunbeds on the next level.
The food here is also very nice and the staff are very friendly. Remember Greece is basic...so dont expect flat screen tv's!! Rooms are clean and have just the right amount of space. Beds are comfortable and sheets changed every 2-3 days.
Had a great time here!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This was a last minute(ish) cheapie holiday so wasn't expecting much, however....

Positives: Nice view from our room looking out across the bay. Pool was OK, not in too bad a condition (pretty clean), plenty of beds and permanent umbrellas. I would recommend the Palm Bay Cocktail Bar just down the road from the Finas, pleasant professional bar waitress, nice surrounding and a good cuppa.

Negatives: Where to start??? Sheets on beds worn and stained, not changed during stay, towels hard and only changed once (in fact found towels that had been left on floor to be changed had been picked up and refolded). Cooking facilities = 2 ring hob, kettle, 2x dinner plate, cereal dish, side plate, cups, dining knives, forks, teaspoons, dessert spoons and ashtrays!. The only utensils were a large serrated bread knife and tin opener. Finally pans, 2 saucepans (no lids) and 1 frying pan. Not really able to make more that salad and soup (not even a toaster/grill).

Complex: Staff vary between rude and grumpy (Kelly Marie), scatty and absent (Kelly - Olympic Rep), miserable (Rachel) and arrogant (Arris - Manager who insisted on shouting out quiz answers during the question rounds!). The site is on three levels and is quite a climb up from the main road. Air Con (vaguely described as payable locally in the brochure and by the travel agent at Ilkeston Travel as nominal) was 50€ per week (minus a 5% discount a massive 2.50€!). You cannot sleep, eat, breathe in Greece in July without Air Con and I doubt all the rooms used that much power over the day (add to the fact that it switches off automatically when you remove the key fob from the room). Also Safety deposit boxes should be free and in every room not 25€ per week and in the “24-hour” reception. Room was on the lower level (as asked for) for my Mum, and near the pool/bar. We appreciated that the noise from the bar would be audible from our room and were OK with that initially, but when Karaoke and disco goes on until 1-2 in the morning it can really affect the next day’s energy levels.

On site shop: Same basic complaint, miserable staff. Also the pricing seem to depend on the mood of the cashier Monday Peaches are 2.75€, Tuesday 2.85€ and so on. Very little stock both groceries and gifts.

Travel Information: Staff positively dissuades you from using other than their transport. The local bus to Lindos (a lovely coastal town with historical sites) costs 1.60€ one way and goes from the end of the main street. The timetable is displayed; trip takes 10 mins and is easy to do. Highly recommend.

Tours: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE RHODES EXPRESS TOUR. Local bus costs 5.50€ each way (11€ Return). Tour costs 19€ return and is not worth the extra 8€. We turned up in Rhodes (after the bus had sailed past Lindos as the Rep slept leaving guests there and then almost threatening to turn our bus round to collect them), the Rep got off the bus said “see you at ten to three” and disappeared. Not a direction or map given just “off you go!”

Bar/Activities: Over priced – randomly priced drinks. 2.40€ for a Glass of Supermarket bought Juice Drink – NOT a glass of fresh orange juice (quite a difference for a Diabetic). BBQ night good meat, chicken breast, 2 kebabs and a burger patty. And an apportioned serving of green salad, tzatziki and chips. No drink, ideally soft drink or water or pita bread/olives. In fact the lack of free salad/dips was disappointing. Salad doesn’t cost that much and would have encouraged us to stay and buy another drink.

To round up, good pool and a reasonable base but don't expect much more however much you pay.

Room Tip: Book your lower level rooms before you pay
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Auckland
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I have to agree with all the other bad reviews on this site.
1. We had a room close to the bar/pool and the noise on 'event nights' was ridiculously loud and it goes on until about 1am - not cool when you have to get up at 5am for a day trip to Turkey or at 3am for flight home! And noise is one thing but really bad karaoke or non-stop ABBA is a bit much to bear!
2. The rooms were not cleaned properly. The basin in the bathroom was never cleaned and if they did attempt the toilet they didn't use any cleaning products. One day we came home to find they had made one half of the bed and not the other, very weird. Plus the kitchen does not come with any cleaning products, such as dish wash liquid, cloth etc, and they do not provide any hand soap in the bathroom. I assume this is so you go and buy it yourself fomr the attached supermarket - where they offer a 5% discount, quite the rackett. Also towels were changed once while we were there and when my mum asked for a new towel Kelly at reception asked her a bunch of questions as to 'why' and then made out that it was incredible difficult for her to get a new towel. I chose not to look under my sheet at my mattress but our friend did and was horrified!
3. You have to pay 50 Euro for one week of air-con. It does say on our travel docs that air con was payable at local rates but 50 is pretty excessive, espec if you are on a tight budget. We were also told that we should set the aircon at 26 degrees - not great advice in 30+ heat!
4. You have to get up pretty early in the morning to get a sun lounger by the pool, and most of them are broken. Plus the pool is full of kids playing ball games so common to be splashed and/or hit with stray ball. I also had to experiance a woman change a baby's nappy on the sun lounger next to me, not nice considering it was a rather explosive 'number 2'. For these reasons we hired a car and spent our days exploring Rhodes and chilling at different beaches around the island.
5. We didn't actually find the food at the restaurant to be that bad. We ate there 3 nights out of 6 and found it to be quite nice. I would recomend Nicholas Taverna at the top of the hill to the left of Finas, best meal we had in Greece!
6. Staff - Kelly at reception really needs to consider a new line of work. She is really quite lazy, rude and sarcastic and seems to find all requests a total inconvienience. Aris we found to be really nice and helpful to the guests but I did see him yelling at the staff on a number of occasions.

Reading all the reviews and experiancing this place myself, it seems that Finas could be a really nice place if the manager/owners actually took notice of these reviews and tried to make improvements. It seems to me that they don't care about the customer experiance at all which is a real shame.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Before arriving at the Finas I had read the reviews and me and our friends were really worried about the type of holiday we were going to have. The flight with SKy Wings was awful, would never fly with them again!! We got to our hotel at about 7 in the evening and checked in with Kelly and Rachel and went for a look around the pool and bar before we were shown to our rooms, which I thought was a nice touch. Our rooms were lovely, small studios but lovely French style doors opening up onto our fantastic sea view :) the kitchen area was small but enough room to make a cuppa, and we even cooked pasta one if the nights. The bathroom was clean but the shower rail had seen better days, but if worked so we made do and got used to it. Cleaners came on everyday, and swept and mopped and made the beds, you do have to leave the room considerably tidy when you go out for the day as they won't pick up all your rubbish and clothes off the floor!! And why should they!!.

First night we went for a walk around and really loved the area. Greece thou is so laid back in term of health and safety, just generally the pavements made us laugh with there 2 ft drops on one side etc!. Food out we loved both of the tavernas on the left hand side of the FInas and also the smaller beach past nicolas taverna,

The staff were really friendly, Aris was a little bossy but he is the boss!! Kelly was really friendly and even had a drink with us in the bar when she finished one night :) Campbell is nuts! But always smiling and friendly!! And very good on the karaoke!!! Recommend the BBQ nights and the mama Mia night.

All in all we had a fab holiday and met lots of amazing people. Might be worth pointing out to people who are going soon that the Finas has over 1000 repeat guests every year, and also 66 reviews since 1989 isn't bad going !!! Take all the negative with pinch of salt, The ones about people pulling the fridge out and there being dirt behind it!!!! Seriously!!!!

Make your own minds up, Sure you will have a brill time!! :)

• Stayed August 2011