“Flatters to deceive!”

Finas Hotel Apartments
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My wife and I have returned from a one week stay from 4 - 11 September 2013, at the Finas Apartments in Pefkos Rhodes. We have stayed in this resort many times in different apartments. This was our first experience of Finas and unfortunately there was little to commend it. Although from the outside the apartments look very Greek and well maintained the apartment we were allocated was not clean and had a musty and dirty smell. We tracked this down to the wardrobe where we found dirty blankets and spare pillows which were quickly banished to the balcony where they remained for the duration of the holiday. We arrived on the Thursday and by the following Sunday as the apartment had not been serviced ( no change of towels or bed linen or rubbish including soiled toilet paper) I had to complain to the manager. We were grateful that he arranged for the room to be serviced on the Monday and surprisingly again on the Tuesday. We were leaving on the Wednesday! My sense was that if I had not complained (many do not) we would not have enjoyed any relief! In any event the cleaning undertaken was only superficial which ensures that decent apartments remain shoddy and unkept which is such a shame. The pool and bar area is quite packed, sunbeds very close together and so we spent our time at an adjacent Taverna and pool which was roomy and appealing with pleasant friendly staff. We went to the bar on a couple of occasions for a night cap but found it geared to an 18 - 30 clientele which was surprising as in September there were few of these about ! Lots of middle aged people trying to play the 18 - 30 games - lots of cheap/free shots, banging cymbals, dancing on the bar etc. which to my mind seemed slightly sad. If you choose to remain outside of this group service was very poor. I think that Olympic holidays need to take a good luck at how these apartments are maintained and managed as I really doubt that with the poor standards of cleanliness and questionable levels of management and service to continue to rate the apartments as 3 Star may breach the trades description Act. We will not return as there are plenty of much cleaner and pleasant 2 Star accommodations available within Pefkos and the surrounding area that treat their guests as guests and not as punters to be exploited if at all possible! This is the first time that Olympic has let us down and I am disappointed !

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Garyt00

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I booked this hotel for my son and his girlfriend so they could join us on holiday this year. Although I did not stay there myself, I of course went to see his apartment and felt I had to write this review (with my sons input too).
The price was very good so was not expecting anything special, just somewhere safe and clean for them to sleep and use as a base, WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE!
The room was not just a bit run down but absolutely FILTHY! Sheets were stained as was the bed and towels, the bathroom was full of mould with a broken toilet, the flooring was coming up in all the rooms, the bed was dirty and broken, the kettle was a death trap with wires exposed, the kitchen area was dirty and rusty, the curtains were mouldy....the list goes on!
We tried to complain and get the room changed but kept being told to speak to Rebecca who was never there, if she even existed at all!!
To top the holiday off, my son returned to his room on the last night and found black bits over the bed (these turned out to be droppings) to then come face to face with a large RAT in the kitchen area!
We have been going to pefkos for many years now and have NEVER seen such a bad hotel/apartment or heard of one this bad.
There are many nice, low cost places to stay in Pefkos, this is one to AVOID!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!! AVOID this one!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank LondonLooby
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here for two weeks in August the rep was very unhelpful the apartment was dirty mould on bed and on the shower curtain cooker and utensils rusty basically the place needs some tlc be careful with sunbeds most of them are broke I would never stay there again rather sleep on the beach

• Stayed: August 2013
13  Thank Tania L
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Our apartment was basic but very clean and everything worked . The beer was excellent from the bar. My only winge is that the pool was far too small for the amount of guests staying so it was impossible to get a sun lounger and hang around the pool. The food was very good and reasonably priced. If you stay here go to beach which is one of the best on rhodes and about a ten minute walk down the road .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week on my own. As someone used to hostels it wasn't the worst I've stayed in, but given the cost veruses hostels it was terrible. The facilities weren't great. Staff just ok. Cleanliness was just simply not there! Constant problems while I was there (toilet not flushing etc) the pool area was over crowded, pool itself was fine. The room was very small, would not like to have been more than just me! Self catering facilities is pushing it, a fridge and a sink.
If you can afford it try and stay somewhere else. I had friends staying at multiple different hotels/resorts in pefkos and they were all much higher standards.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank GeordieThatTravels
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed here for two weeks at the end of August and I must say I was dreading it after reading the reviews on here! But despite all the bad press we had a fab time, one of my best holidays ever and if I was to return to Pefkos I would stay there again!
I want to address some of the common complaints I have read about.
1 - Cleanliness - the rooms were clean enough. It is a 3* hotel and so it is not immaculate, however floor were clean, bathroom was clean, beds were clean. And I am fussy! The only negative was that when we arrived the room STANK of smoke, it was stifling. I did complain and was given air freshener, I also bought some extra air freshener and we left the bedroom doors open whilst we went for a meal. By day 2 the smell was pretty much gone and didn't bother me again, (the bf didn't find this as much as an issue of me, and he hates people smoking near him!).
2 - Towels & Bedding - we did have to ask for towels after a few days as they state they change them twice a week but ours hadn't been done. Although this may be because one day the cleaner couldn't come in as we were still asleep. I did also get given one towel that was stained, but it had clearly been washed and smelt clean and new towels were given to me when I pointed this out to reception. Bedding was changed regularly and was clean and fresh. Also plenty of extra blankets were in the room, we had air con full blast and woke up cold!
3 - Air con - we felt the need to pay for it, it was E47.50 per week and we had budgeted for it as it seems to be the norm. I don't think it is fair for them to charge as I find it an essential when travelling in August, but they are just following the trend I suppose. The air con unit is only fitted in the main bedroom - we had a 1bed apartment. This meant the other room & bathroom were still hot and very stuffy. This was ok for us but if travelling in a 4 it would have been an issue.
4 - Rooms - our room was big enough and there were 3 good size mirrors. Our kitchen area was clean and we had plenty of crockery/cutlery etc. The fridge didn't seem to be working too well and wasn't all that cold, however not an issue for us as we ate out and only used kitchen for breakfast or tea, (one carton of milk did go bad seemingly quickly but no other milk turned). As I said we had a 1 bed apartment and were very pleased, however the standards of rooms seems to be quite hit and miss as other people staying seemed to think our room was much better than theirs - 183 is the room to ask for!
5 - Noise/View - We had a room overlooking the pool (as requested) The views were beautiful and we were delighted. However the noise was an issue at points. We often were out in the evening and got back when the bar noise had died down, however a couple of times we were in and the noise wasn't too bad, but at least twice the noise was ridiculous and felt like it was right outside our door. The upside of this was that there was always evening entertainment and a great laugh to be had with the other holiday makers at the bar!
6 - Pool - great size, very clean, and plenty of sunbeds. Separate baby pool as well and the deep end was very deep and great for messing around diving!
7 - Staff - every staff member I met was kind, friendly and helpful. They have great local knowledge and I found the young Scottish girl more helpful than the rep, as she would tell us the cheaper way to do things by ourselves!!
8 - Bar - good food served all day, crepes were fab (get the young lad to make them though as he puts loads of topping on) wide variety of food and drink and very reasonable prices especially if you do the 3 course set menu for dinner for E8.90 each!
9 - The Area - I now love Pefkos! It's a great resort with a great beach and some incredible restaurants. The location of the Finas is perfect as it is right next to the bus stop and very close to the beach and the main strip. I highly recommend the restaurant on the beach - Kyma - it is expensive, but worth it for the amazing views, delicious food and lovely staff. The waterpark in Falaraki is fab, there is a free bus everyday at 9.15 and returns at 5pm - absolutely no need to pay Olympic E16 for you transfer! The buses in general are a bit hit and miss on their reliability, however this one always turns up! The buses are air conditioned and very cheap so don't be afraid of them! Lindos is beautiful, very quick to get there so we visited twice. The Acropolis is pretty and not too bad a walk, lots of donkeys also available! We also got a boat to Lindos on one trip, E20 for a return on the glass bottom boat and this was a definite bonus to the day as we got two swimming stops included and the boat captain was fab! Rhodes town cost E11 return on the bus, but be warned it is a loooong way! I think this would have been better to have booked with Olympic on a direct transfer as it would have been about half the journey time and the bus in the morning was 1 and a half hours late!!!

All in all one of my best ever holidays, do not be put off by the reviews!! If you want 5* luxury then pay for it, if not go along embrace it and don't waste your holiday complaining - after all how long do you intend to stay in your room for?! Get out see the whole island, enjoy some great food, meet lovely people, socialise at the bar and embrace the party atmosphere if your room overlooks the pool!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Catherine W
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Spent a week here last summer the rooms are tired and shabby. Dirty mattress curtains hanging away from pole then to top it all we returned to our room after a day out to find it flooded with sewage water coming up from floor , this happened twice we were moved to another room which was no cleaner we booked through Olympic holidays when we complained we were given the reps telephone number from reception the rep was most put out that we rang her on her day off? She was useless. We didn't pay a fortune but my advise would be save your money or book somewhere else. (June 2012)

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple