“Wow! Best resort hotel I have ever stayed in!”
Review of Island Blue Hotel

Island Blue Hotel
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
Southampton
“Wow! Best resort hotel I have ever stayed in!”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Just had a week in island blue and the best way to sum it up is wow!!

We arrived at the hotel late at night and were taken to our room on a golf buggy. We opened the door and instantly were so please we had booked. The room is very spacious with a fridge with a bottle of water chilled and waiting for us. The view from the room was amazing full length glazed doors looking out to the mountains and amazing pool.

The room was exceptionally clean and had air con which we were not Charged for. the beds were a little hard but that was minor issue as the room was lovely.

Breakfast was also very good. 3 out of 7 mornings we had black pudding, hash browns and English style sausages but on the other 4 I was very happy with the cook breakfast offered as well as the cold bits.

Staff were very friendly without making you feel they were hunting for tips. We ate in the restaurant twice and both times food was exceptional and I am usual a big critic when eating out. We paid the 38 euro to say in our room and I have to say due to the quality of the place I did not mind doing so at all.

This is the best European holiday I have had and it was all because of island blue.

I am not one for returning to places but I think this time I will break the rule.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank DrewDyer
IoannidisGroupHotels, General Manager at Island Blue Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Guests
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a great review of your stay with us here at the Island Blue Hotel I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate all your comments -these will certainly be pass onto my staff. All commnets help us to constantly review the services and facilties we offer our customers
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another great holiday.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Greek first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Recently returned from the lovely island blue. Clean modern and spacious rooms with lovely big balcony, overlooking pool area rooms cleaned daily. Pool area and hotel grounds spotless plenty of sun beds with pool bar for milkshakes in the afternoon for chilling out. We stayed at this hotel on a HB accommodation and could not fault the menu and standard of food it was a la carte every evening waiter service in the evening and buffet style at breakfast. Definite value for money plenty of choice on menu for meat lovers and veggies. Breakfast usual fry up! Or healthily options and loads of lovely treats cakes choc cakes. Fill your boots. Then walk ten steps to your cream cushioned sun beds big enough for two normal size people and take in the mountain views for 8 hours. Oh it’s a hard life. Went first week of season great weather touching 30 everyday. LOVED IT. DEFO GO BACK. Staffs attitudes were nothing to much trouble and two good Thompson reps.

Room Tip: all rooms have good views. pool or mountains.
1 Thank DORRIS1
IoannidisGroupHotels, General Manager at Island Blue Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Dear Guests
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a great review of your stay here with us at the Island Blue Hotel. I am very happy that you enjoyed your time here with us and that you were ahppy wirth the services and staff.
We ver much look forward to wlecoming you back in the near future for another great holiday.
Antonis Stavroulis - Genereal Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We have just returned back from a week in the Island Blue. There is no doubt this is one of the cleanest, nicest hotels in Pefkos and it does earn it's star rating. However, there a few things which I now know, and if I had known before we went, then I may have thought twice about booking.

The rooms are very clean, and the staff obviously work very hard. The guy behind the pool bar (Sturgeon I think he was called), seems to be very obsessive about his tables, chairs and sunbeds - nothing wrong with that at all - it was lovely to see him do his rounds, putting everything back in it's place as soon as someone left.

The grounds are picturesque, and it seems we were there early in the season, so no problems with getting sun beds, or people reserving them at the crack of dawn. I would imagine this could be a problem in high season.

Here's the bits I didn't like and I think people should be made aware of them............. make sure you take loads of extra money for safe deposit boxes, air conditioning, and if you want to keep your room on beyond 12 noon.

Safety Deposit boxes are 25 euros for one week and 47 euros for weeks.
Air conditioning is 65 euros for 1 week and 120 euros for 2 weeks
Keeping your room till 7.00pm will set you back an astonishing 38 euros (bear in mind that most flights are late at night)

I think there were 84 rooms in the Island Blue alone - at 25 euros for renting out the safety deposit, that's a potential weekly income of 2100 euros. If everyone kept there room on till 7.00pm thats a weekly income of 3192 euros, and if everyone took out the air conditioning for a week then thats another 5460 euros......... not a bad weekly income before you take into account the accommodation costs, snacks, drinks, etc etc.....10,752 euros.

Come on guys - it seems quite ironic that we tourists take out a safe deposit box to safeguard our money / belongings, when in reality we have already been ripped off before we start the holiday to a tune of 128 euros before we start with spending money. I understand you have overheads etc etc, but it takes 5 minutes maximum to hand out a safe deposit box key - thats an hourly salary rate of 300 euros per hour - not bad going - I wish I could earn that sort of money.

If you are thinking of a restful holiday, think again - the beds are absolutely rock hard and unbearable to sleep on (please believe me when I say this as loads of people were complaining). If you are lucky, you will sleep every 3 days due to exhaustion and lack of sleep the other 2 nights. We did ask at reception if there was anythig they could do. A blanket was put under the sheet. This didn't help one bit, so we put another 2 blankets under - making it 3........ still not a jot of difference - these beds are so uncomfortable it's untrue - our hips felt so bruised by the end of the week and we couldn't ait to get home to our comfy bed.

If after looking at the pictures you think it would be cheaper to do self catering at this resort - please be aware that you only get the kitchen if you have a 2 bed apartment. If you are a couple and have a one bed apartment, all you get is a fridge - as we only found out upon arrival. Again I did mention this at reception, that we had been misled into thinking there was a kitchen - the lady wan't interested at all - even though the hotel seemed only half full. They could quite easily have given us a room with a kitchen, Poor customer service I would say.

We stayed bed and breakfast. Whilst there was a lot of choice, the cooked section was always tepid and on occasions cold from sitting there hours on end under the heat lamp. I'm sure this could have been done better by putting out small amouts at a time - there was no big rush around the breakfast room, except the queue for the toaster which didn't work - you had to put your bread through about 4 times to get any colour..

Same applies to keeping the room on past midday- the hotel wasn't full. so what was the rush to get us out at 12. The cleaning could have waited till the rounds the following day.

Come on guys - stop treating us tourists like a free reign to take our money. The whole world is in recession, we have a lack of money too. People may fall for it once, but possibly like us................. we won't be back again unless things change. This was our second visit (first visit was ro the Pefki Island resort).

I do hope this review helps others with lack of spare cash make a more informed decision about staying at this resort.

Room Tip: If you want the kitchen you'll need to pay for a two bedded room. All rooms look onto the pool...
14 Thank bumble007
Dear Guests
Thank you for tking the time to write your review of your stay with us here at the Island Blue hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate all your comments and concerns.
As a guest of Island Blue hotel you had FREE air conditioning in your room, this was not the charges that you have worked out -these charges apply to the self catering units of Pefki islands which are fully advertised that there is a charge for in advance by Thomsons - this is standard with all Thomson self catering units in Greece.
Charges for late check out are made as my housekeeping team stay 6 hours after their working hours to clean the rooms of the new arrivals, bearing in mind that they also have to still clean the rooms of all other rooms that are not departing on that day - the fee charged is to pay them for their time!
As you can see from previous reviews, the majority of our guests are extremely happy with the hotel and the services we offer, so we hope to be able to welcome you back in the future to change your mind and offer you a great experience with us.
Many thanks and kind regards
midlands
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We arrved at the Hotel on May 2nd the first day opening of the new season.
There were a few minor blips usually associated with first day nerves which were soon rectified.
The room was nothing short of immaculate and it would appear that we were among the first occupants of the new season .
Consequently all of the utensils were brand new as were the wonderful soft white towells
Sheets were changed every other day and room cleaning carried out usually befor mid-day.

All of the staff were helpful and friendly particularly the two sweeties on reception
We have visited many alleged 5 star Hotels who do not approach the standard of Island Blue.
Congratulations to all concerned.

On a minor note the Hotel really should supply beach towells

2 Thank globetrotterMidlands
Dear Guests
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a great review of your stay here with us at the Island Blue hotel. I am very happy that you enjoyed your time here with us, even though the beginning of season may have been a little quiet.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another great stay.
Hoghton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Lovely hotel in a lovely little town. We checked out this hotel before we booked and it lived up to the brilliant reviews. I was impressed by how large the rooms were and how new and clean they were. We stayed in September and found it very quiet, which suited us fine. On some occasions we had the pool to ourselves. The breakfasts were good and we ate in the hotel in the evening and really enjoyed the food too. The proximity to the beach was unbelievable. The layout of the hotel was good, most of the rooms had a view of one of the three pools. Our room was actually slightly tucked away and at first I was disappointed that we couldn't see the pool, but then I realised how quiet this made it. I would definitely go back to this hotel again and we noted that several people who visited Pefkos were repeat visitors.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mandbennett
IoannidisGroupHotels, General Manager at Island Blue Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear Guests
Many thanks for taking the time to write your great review of your stay here with us at the Island Blue Hotel.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that it lived up to your expectations from he reviews you had read.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another great stay.
Bournemouth
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel at the end of Sept 2011 and it has taken me all this time to post a review! From the moment we arrived we were impressed by the level of service and attention. Our room in one of the blocks was very comfortable, spacious and clean. We had no worries about being disturbed by noise and the balcony view was great. The pools are also well kept to a high standard. We were lucky to have great weather and spent a couple of days on the nice but narrow beach - warm water too. As a treat I also had a trip from the microlight strip nearby over Lindos with a very friendly pilot - great. We booked half board and I would advise that you don't do this as the meals in the hotel and local restuarants were high quality and good value. Half board highly limits the choice and doesn't save any money. The packed lunches are a bit of a joke though so don't bother. Pefkos is easy to walk around and you can save a lot of money on excursions by booking a local trip to Rhodes - a must do (16-18Euro return by coach 65E by taxi). Getting to Lindos is best by taxi. We would definately go there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoIkarus
IoannidisGroupHotels, General Manager at Island Blue Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Guests
Many thanks for taking the time to write your great review of your stay here with us at the Island Blue hotel. Your comments are very much appreciated and also help us to review the facilties and services we offer our guests - we have a new head chef and team this summer so the menus have changed also.
kind regards
Antonis Stavroulis - General manager
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This was our first holiday abroad together. It was perfect. We got a brilliant deal, and thoroughly enjoyed. I have stayed all over the world, but this was some of the better accommodation I have stayed in. It's now gone from 4* to 5*, so the price has doubled practically. It was worth the money we payed, and would probably be happy to pay the increase too, we enjoyed it tht much.
We stayed bnb, and breakfast were always great no matter Wht time you turned up.
All round fab!

• Stayed September 2011
13 Thank Laweliz
IoannidisGroupHotels, General Manager at Island Blue Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Guests
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a great review of your stay with us here at the Island Blue hotel. I am glad that your first holiday away together was a memorable one and thank you for nice comments.
We look forward to being able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Direct bookings can be made with the hotel at info@islandblue.gr
Antonis Stavroulis - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pefkos
Matina Pefkos Aparthotel
#4 of 30 in Lindos
Eagle's Nest Hotel
Eagle's Nest Hotel
#15 of 34 in Pefkos

Been to Island Blue Hotel? Share your experiences!