“Lovely holiday. Lovely people. This is Greece.”
Review of Thalia Hotel

Thalia Hotel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We visited between 20th and 27th June, I travelled with my partner, daughter and her fiance. One of the purposes of the trip was to go the Lindos for the Rock Fest which is highly recommended. I booked the flight and hotel seperately and we think we had a fantastic deal. I will agree that the aircon is a must and we were surprised at the cost but all in all the hotel was brilliant value for money.
I can't eat pork which was on the menu for every meal but I found plenty of other things to eat and certainly didn't starve.
Other people, including my daughter, say that the day barman didn't smile, He was fine with me but then again I made the effort to speak to him although I don't think he understood my Welsh accent! I couldn't fault the hotel staff who were lovely and couldn't have been more helpful.
We had a wonderful time and met some great people. There isn't any entertainment at the hotel but we managed to make our own!
This is the 6th time I've been to Rhodes because I just love the Island but the first time I've stayed in Pefkos.
The hotel is what it is. It's clean, friendly and very well placed for the town and beach. We hired a car for the week but actually used it less than we usually do as everything was so near. I highly recommend the glass bottomed boat trip.
Wonderful holiday and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Thalia again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank nickirmn

Reviewed 24 July 2012

Ok, we have just returned from a weeks stay at the Thalia, I must admit after reading some reviews, I did wonder what we were going to!!.

Stop worrying, yes, it could do with a bit of TLC and if I got Into Nit picking mode, I would be here forever but It's a 2* Hotel and you get what you pay for. If you want 5* pay the price for it and stop moaning!!!

Food:- It's fine, typical Greek fare, plenty of choice and the trays DO get refilled quite quickly, If you are a fussy eater and like English food, i.e cooked breakfasts, pie/mash/burgers....then don't stay at the Thalia. One of the girls I was with is a real fussy eater and she really liked the food, yes, the trays were not labeled but you could see what you were getting, if you're not sure......ask!!

The one gripe I have is that the Air con wasn't on in the restaurant, i did ask why and was told the engineer was coming to fix it, he still hadn't been 6 days later!! They bought a large fan in but unless it was aimed at you, it did make eating in there quite uncomfortable, In fact for 2 days we ate and ran!!

I will just mention, as a previous reviewer has, some of the other Nationalities, they pile up their plates, have zero table manners, then leave most of the food, this does irritate the staff and I did notice that the said offenders tended to go In to eat early and this is when the trays didn't seem to get filled up quite so quickly and who can blame them, so leave it half an hour after opening, then go eat.

Rooms:- Basic but clean and functional, who sits in their room all day on holiday?? plenty of power points, balcony/terrace and most Importantly Air Con. You really need this as it is blisteringly hot. It works well, does the job and well worth the 49 euros for the week. The bathrooms are small but again functional, we did have a toilet malfunction (it wouldn't flush) but was sorted within half an hour.

Pool:- Really lovely pool/Bar area, plenty of sunbeds and shade if you want it. Now there have been complaints about the bar area and the childrens pool. As previously stated in another review, there is a tree with Black Berries that overhangs the patio area in the bar, these cause the patio to stain, it is NOT dirty. The childrens pool was emptied every night, cleaned and refilled, can't see what the problem is really.

Toasted Cheese and Ham Sandwiches and Ice Cream at 4pm, I must admit the ice Cream did make us laugh as it was a bit Luminus, LOL but it tasted ok. Not flash snacks but they did the trick (the cat loves the ham). The drinks list is ok considering the price you pay for the hotel, plenty of Cocktails and spirits to choose from. Bar staff friendly and efficient, although some are happier in their work than others!!

The owners are lovely people, helpful and polite, treat them with respect and you get the same back.

If they refurbed this hotel to a higher standard, they could charge much higher prices due to the location but for me it would lose it's old fashioned Greek style and for me that's the Greece I love, not high rise hotels with no character.

The Thalia is situated In a great spot, 10 mins from the beach and 5 mins from all the Bars/Restaurants, although if it's still as hot as it was it might take a bit longer to walk!!

Most of us are well Travelled all over the world and have stayed in various levels of * Hotels, we wanted a value budget break and this is what we got, again, if you want 5* with cooking stations etc don't stay here BUT if you want a good value, relaxed friendly hotel, then the Thalia is for you. Would we go back? Yes, we probably would. As we paid so little to stay here we were able to eat out a couple times as well.

Pefkos Is lovely and we hope to return next year, although not in July due to the extreme heat, can't handle anymore, lol.

Ignore the moaners and complainers, you get what you pay for and the Thalia is a nice little budget hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank Fish062
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I've just come back from a week in Thalia hotel and I'm satisfied. I don't think I could expect anything more from a 3 star hotel.

As far as food is concerned, it was repetitive but good. Some dishes were diffrent from anything else I had tried before and it was sometimes difficult to say what exactly you're eating but everything was tasty.

As for rooms, they had 3 stars standard. Ours (Np 301) was clean and it had nice view from the balcony. The beds were comfortable. However, we booked a room for 3 and got double room with a small additional bed. Luckily I'm quite short (160 cm) so it was perfect for me though, I gather, too short for somebody taller. The big disadvantage was the air conditioning. Fist of all it is not included in the price but I guess that's 3star standard. Second of all, it doesn't work well. We took it for one day, paid 7 Euro and couldn't feel the difference:( The receptionist was very nice and came to fix it. Unfortunatelly, it didn't change much. That's a shame because in July the temperature fluctuates around 40 degrees centigrade and good air conditioning is a must. However, our friends had a room on the ground floor and their air con was working well.

As for the staff, the bartenders were so bored and cold. They never smiled or said anything more than they had too. I know it was unbelievably hot and horrible to work in such temperatures but they could at least pretend to be nice.
Fortunately, the cook, receptionists and waiters in the restaurant were very nice and helpful.

The location is wonderful. It takes about 10 minutes or less to get to the beach. The views are spectacular. I especially recommend exploring the headland on the left side of the beach. We climbed up there and found a lot of oregano bushes and two donkeys:)
If you're keen on snorkelling, do it near the rocks. I saw a few pretty big fish there.

All in all, it was a nice stay. I think I could come back to Thalia hotel but I would choose a room with a better air con. Moreover, the views are memorable and worth seeing again. Don't be put off by the bar staff, you can ignore that.

3  Thank ewa D
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Fantastic location, not far from the beach, bars and restaurant just around the corner. BUT! Rooms really need updating, our son who is 16 had to sleep on some sort of camp bed. He found it ok but we paid adult price for him and which I think most adults wouldnt like. There wasnt really any choice of food which was a shame because this is the area the hotel really needs to sort out. You have to get there 1st aswell otherwise they ran out sometimes, because of unnamed nationalities eating it all I mean 2 and 3 plate fulls at 1 time each. On the positive side the family at the hotel were very friendly and couldnt do enough for you. I just think that some of the staff could show a little bit more enthusiasm. After all they are in a beautiful location with gorgeous weather, who wouldnt want to work in a place like that!

2  Thank lisa c
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Just arrived home after a week at the Thalia. The room was ok, nothing special but air con was a must as it was unbeliveably hot for this time of the year. All Inclusive was a bit of a nightmare. When the bar ran out of something it was`nt replaced(ie Tia Maria) so if you wanted a cocktail that included a certain ingredient they did`nt have TUFF! As for the food, if you like chicken or pork this place is heaven, if not err forget it. We had breakfast out more than in also a few nights out for meals and drinks,something I begrudge when I`ve gone all inclusive. Just one other thing,if anybody reads this and they got a smile out of the bar staff I`d love to hear about it!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike S
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Just got back from staying at the Thalia Hotel .Rooms not bad basic but clean only had the 1 cockroach and he flew in when we was sitting on the balcony food not great for me but i knew that before i went as im really fussy the chef did try but theres only some many chips you can eat lol the staff at the hotel was all lovely and friendly the pools were clean and there was plenty of sunbeds to lay on met some lovely people who have been staying there for years the only problem i had was with the polish they took over the pool and was not child friendly which lead to a few rows Pefkos is a lovely place with plenty of bars and resturants and there is a great glass bottom boat trip what makes a lovely afternoon out overall had a great hoiladay oh one more thing the air con is 49 euros a week which you must have or you won't sleep so add this to the cost of your hoiladay

3  Thank britanypie
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We booked this trip back in Feb, as a cheap break. I choose this hotel as been to Pefkos before and the location is great. Just 5 mins walk from all the bars and restaurants and about 10 - 15 mins walk to the beach. Depending on how fast you walk. The hotel is exactly what we expected - basic. But our room was cleaned every day, and we found the staff were friendly if you made an effort to be friendly. As all inclusive the foods and drinks were included. Not keen on the breakfast - they cater mainly for the Europeans rather than English. Food was a bit bland, but we generally found something OK, But as we chose this hotel purely for the location and the All Inclusive option - we ate out a couple of times as we like to go out and about,the fact that the food was not that good didn't bother us. Probably the only thing was a bit annoying was that you could not have a beer until 12pm. Most places we have been start serving beer at 11.00am - after all we are on holiday.... Oh and you have to pay for A/c, but I knew that before I booked.

A couple of nice places to go was Jasmines, Don't be put off by the fact there is a kids area to play, the kids were no trouble and it kept them occupied. It is very nice food and the people there are very nice as well. We had a couple of evening meals there and also had breakfast there, which was really lovely and good value. You get a lot for your money.
Don't bother with the restaurants offering a 3 course meal for 7.5 Euros Sounds good value but not that nice. We did have a meal at one of them and was really disappointed.
The Rock bar was also a good place to go, they gave us free shots with our drinks, 3 each one night.
The Glass bottom boat is nice trip to Lindos, which is beautiful. Worth a trip ... Pop into The Sunburnt Arms for a pint and pork pie lol There are lots of lovely rooftop bars - which is lovely in the afternoon sun.

So please don't be put off by bad reviews, if you want a 3 or 4 star hotel - pay the extra. And this is Greece by the way - they live very basic lives.

Room Tip: Ask for the room at the front, much quieter and we loved sitting on the balcony people watching.