“Good value for money - shame about some guests!”
Review of Thalia Hotel

Thalia Hotel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
“Good value for money - shame about some guests!”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed for two weeks at the end of July. 2 adults & 3 children aged 11, 8 & 4. Like many people we were wary before going due to some of the bad reviews. All I can say is some guests just don't know how to behave!! We all had a wonderful time and friends can't believe what a bargain we found. Please remember that this is a small family run hotel and not one of your wealthy commercial chains. The owners and staff are wonderful and work extremely hard from dawn 'til dusk in absolutely unbearable heat. As has already been said you must have the air conditioning at this time of year. Our apartment was cleaned, swept and tidied every day without fail by a lovely lady that occassional made swan sculptures with our towels. There is always plenty of sunbeds available by the pool. The water in the small pool is changed daily. Occassionally they forget to turn on the hose to fill it up. Here's a tip for you......get off your sunbed and tell them!!! Better still, and for a much faster result, turn on the hose next to the pool and sit back down while it fills. You don't have to walk so far then. How hard can it be!!
There is always plenty of food available in the restaurant and the trays are constantly refilled. They never seem to run out despite the valliant efforts of some extremely greedy people that don't find one plate quite big enough for them. You can refill your plate as often as you want and believe me they do. If you don't know what some of the food is try asking the chef who is always close by. He is very willing to help and directed us to some wonderful greek food that we wouldn't otherwise have tried.
Staff are always nearby and more than happy to help. Just try some polite conversation with them and you will be surprised just how much better your holiday can be. Don't just slope off muttering your complaint under your breath and vowing to give them a bad review on tripadvisor.
We met some lovely people that return to this hotel year after year. Not because of some sadistic need to have a really bad holiday but because the staff are fabulous and they know that if there is a problem it will be quckly sorted. You just need to communicate politely and reasonably!!!
Pefkos is a lovely place. The beach is a 10 minute walk from the hotel and there are many wonderful bars and restaurants right on your doorstep.
If you are a friendly relaxed holidaymaker that understands the value of money and doesn't look down their nose at hotel staff, then this place is wonderful. If, however, you expect to be automatically waited on hand and foot and you like hotel staff to not only mind read but to be omnipotent, then this probably isn't the place for your champagne tastes and beer-barrel pockets.

Room Tip: The new rooms at the back of the gift shop are superb!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Shelley B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
notts
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Just read some of the negative reviews and really find it hard to relate to such negativity.
We were met off the coach by the family, our luggage was taken to our room, which I have to say was excellent. Good size bed, large fridge and a super bathroom. The terrace was furnished with a large table and 2 comfortable chairs.

There was always a good choice at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was always hot and tasty. At breakfast there was always a choice of tea, coffee, juices or water, Good selection of drinks available at lunch and dinner. I particularly enjoyed several glasses of the red wine. The chef regularly came in to the dining room and asked if the food was ok.

The bar was staffed during the day by a nice young man named Venny and in the evening by an equally nice young man named Makis. I did notice during our stay Makis was helped by a rather nice English chap who was always smiling and polite. I did hear he was on his holiday but he was always happy to help if the bar was busy.

With regard to Bobby, he can only be described as a playful puppy.

Overall all of the people working at the hotel are friendly and polite.

Ignore the nasty hurtful reviews, the Thalia is owned and run by a truly wonderful family who endeavour to make your stay a happy one.We will definitely return again as do many British guests who visit year after year.

Visited between 25/08-08/09/12.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pefkosNotts
Lancashire
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Hi everyone, just returned from a 2 week hol. staying at the Thalia.
We booked this accomodation 12 months prior to going, with the intention of using it as a base...and this is what we did.
The family that run the hotel we found to be friendly. Treat them with respect and they will recipricate.
The dining experience was good in that there was lots of choice, sometimes repetative but, all/inc can be like that.We didn't stay too long in the dining room due to the sheer heat! (Only 1 fan operating).We ate out quite a few times in the evenings and were out during the day exploring!
The rooms were adequate, however, I must be honest and say that our room had cockroaches too, the small ones I didn't mind but, I had to get my hubby to get rid of the larger ones!

The room, balcony and bathroom WAS NOT swept or mopped from the start to end of our time there.(did I complain? No...we just got on with it.) We had our bins emptied,towels , sheets and pillowcases changed fairly regularly.
The headboards were all cracked and falling apart, the mattress' were split with insides showing, the pillows were filthy.
The shower curtain and base was filthy also.
We have travelled to various parts of Greece over many years,we know the real Greece is basic,but, it is not DIRTY!
This could be a great place to stay, with and upgrade and better managment of the cleaning, a little TLC is all thats needed!
We didn't let the rudeness of the other nationalities there ruin our holiday, you're better off just ignoring them.
This is an honest account of our stay at the Thalia,

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan N

Travellers are raving about these Pefkos hotels

Doncaster
Reviewed 12 September 2012

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES AT ANY PRICE STAY AT THIS DISGUSTING COCKROACH INFESTED FLEAPIT.
THIS "HOTEL" IS A HEALTH HAZARD AND IS NOT FIT FOR HUMAN HABITATION! THE ROOMS AND PRESUMABLY KITCHEN ARE CRAWLING WITH COCKROACHES AND GOD KNOWS WHAT ELSE. Before anybody thinks I am being unduly harsh I have staying in budget hotels in Greece for 25 years. I have never come across anything remotely like this before (and yes there have been some iffy ones). This is truly in an underclass all it's own, the staff attitude to being told our ROOMS were infested was to hand over a tin of insect killer! This I think says it all.
By the way, re the restaurant , we walked in once, saw the "food" on offer and walked straight back out. You have been warned!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bob B
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed at the Thalia hotel (what a joke) from 1st to 8th September. We were lucky in that for some reason we were given two rooms in one, which was strange as there were only the two of us. However, both rooms were filthy as was the bathroom (the washbasin, shower tray, toilet or floor were never cleaned during our stay). The shower curtain was filthy and mould ridden as was the entire shower area, in fact we didn't feel really clean all the time we were there. The mattresses were really old, dirty and ours was full of holes, goodness knows what had made the holes and we tried not to think of what might be living inside it. The balconies were dirty and the furniture was downright disgusting, so we couldn't sit out, which was a shame. The communal areas were dirty.and the marble stiars were cracked and badly chipped which could cause a nasty accident. Some of the doors on the third floor had holes in them and some had been taped up with yellow sticky tape. The door down to the pool area was wedged open with broken tiles and the steps down were disgusting and there were some really nasty smells eminating from the drains around this area too. Someone had spilled orange juice on the steps from Reception up to the first floor on our first day and it was still there on our last! The Dining Room (another joke), was crammed with tables, so you couldn't sit anywhere comfortably, the floors were dirty and there were ants crawling up the wall by the window the enitre week we were there. There was also a pile of sand by the doors back into Reception and that was also there our entire stay. As for the food (if you can call it that). My husband is not a fussy eater and will eat most things, but even he couldn't face the food at the Thalia. We had read the reviews before going so had decided we would eat out occasionally in the evening, but we ate out every night after experiencing our first night in the restaurant. We had breakfast which was basic, but about the best meal you could have there. We went into the restaurant a couple of evenings to see what was on offer and immediately did a U-turn, but the following day we had to hang around to meet the rep so we decided to try lunch. That was exactly the same as the night before. It had obviously been re-heated and served up again. It is a wonder there haven't been more cases of food poisoning. We saw the owner of the hotel, coming out of the kitchen one morning with a plate piled high with really appetising food, definitely not the food being served to her customers. We didn't find the family particularly friendly, but the bar man (in the evening) was lovely and joined in with the singing and dancing when this occurred. The rat (as mentioned previously) was a very dirty Jack Russell cross named Bobby who attacked most peoples legs or if you dared stroke him, would bite your fingers. He was also allowed to roam around the restaurant which was not good. At one time the Thalia would have been a lovely hotel (around 30 years ago maybe) but it has been left to fall into serious disrepair. I think the travel companies need to have a full inspection of the property and either refuse to use it or get the owners to spend some money renovating it. Our stay at the hotel felt more like a hostel than a hotel and we will definitely never return to the Thalia or recommend it to anyone!!!! But on the Up-side, Pefkos is beautiful and we will definitely return to the resort, avoiding the Thalia at all costs!!!

Room Tip: We didn't speak to anyone who had a good room. They all seem to be in the same state.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank delphlady
Weymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed at the Thalia 8th - 16th August
Was a little concerned after reading other reviews but Im also aware that people can have VERY different experiences. Arrived in the middle of the night to find that our rooms were incorrect as we had booked to have 3 adults in one room and One in another, were told it would be sorted in the morning. HOWEVER, we decided to keep the rooms we had as it was a family booking and we were happy to separate beds.
I can see that some might be unhappy to pay for the aircon as extra BUT I have experienced this in many greek resorts so it wasnt a shock.
The room was nice enough - very clean and had a fridge which was a massive bonus - I agree that the bathroom was ridiculously small but it served the purpose.
The food was pleasant and edible but not the best 'all inclusive' i have ever had - i didnt bother to get up for breakfast and we ate out quite a few nights. I am used to all inclusives that offer a huge variety of choice at all sittings and i have to say that i was surprised to find that there were no olives amid the salad bearing in mind we were in greece!!! The desserts were either water melon or gala melon which i personally LOVED but not what i am used to seeing for 'all incl' . The Dining room NEEDS air con though - it was unbearable heat in there to the point that you couldnt stay long.
Drinks were good, although i was totally unaware that any cocktails were available until reading the reviews once home - have to say they do a wicked iced coffee though :)
I thought the pool and pool area was lovely - plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas - lovely flowers and plants - very clean - and the best bit was a massive grape vine the length of the back of the pool where i picked bunches of beautiful grapes every day for my breakfast - fantastic!!!
All the people working at thalia are friendly, lovely and ever helpful - I felt constantly sorry for them having to deal with the bad manners and tantrums from the majority of other foreign guests who were for the best part arrogant, rude and unaware of anyone else but themselves - Im always left astounded at the bad manners of some other people and this took my astoundment to another level!!!! They came in at all hours being loud and totally oblivious to others trying to sleep.... They were my only real gripe to my entire stay!!!!!!!!

In a nutshell - if it sounds like ive been negative, it is only because i have had some superb all inclusive experiences before and this was merely average on food!! HOWEVER, we DID intend to eat out before coming as have visited pefkos many times before and LOVE the many restaurants SO we were'nt disappointed.
Rooms were lovely and clean
Staff - very pleasant and friendly
Drinks - great choice and AMAZING Iced coffee
pool - clean and lovely
Surroundings and area - beautiful views, very central, attractive setting.
Overall experience - 2 star hotel in Greece????? It ticked all the relevant boxes and did a good job - if you want more then pay more.
We were a party of a 70 yr old... me and my partner 40 and my 17 yr old son.... was spot on and we had a lovely time ..... WELL DONE THALIA HOTEL :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Maria R
Helsinki
Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

So I arrived at this hotel with relatively low expectations considering the amout of money that I have spent and the fact that it's only a 2* hotel.......however even my lowest expectation couldn't prepare myself for this ghastly slum of a hotel.....on arrival I was met by what I could I could only describe as a rat on legs which jumped all over my luggage and nipped at my legs, this was before I had even checked in. The receptionist didn't even show me to my room and it was as though I was an inconvenience to him, he seemed more interested in playing solitaire then advising me as to where my room was located!!!.....after finally locating my room I thought half of it was missing, there was literally a very small bathroom consisting of only a toilet, sink and shower cubicle which was so thin, claustrophobic and mould infested that I thought I had been given the room for a prisoner. I thought surely there must be a mistake, but to my horror there was not a mistake. So I moved to the "living room" area which basically consisted of the kitchen, bedroom, living area and dining room all compacted into a very minute area which poorly fitted plug sockets and beggars belief how they expected me to survive if one came to this establishment self catering, I mean there was literally 2 hobs and nothing else! Not even an oven, grill, fridge freezer so unless they were planning on me eating from ready tins which I was supposed to eat on the how would I survive, as I need sustenance .....luckily (or unluckily as I now know) I was all inclusive, which meant I had the pleasure of eating food made by grumpy chain smoking staff who like the receptionist seemed that I was a bind to them. The food was not labeled, the meals were not cleared from the previous diners and to my horror it appeared as though it was expected I cleared my own plate!!! And I was on holiday, the food itself was fine if you like eating things where you have to guess what it is you are eating or if you like salad, mainly cucumber and red onions....the bar staff were also of the same attitude as the receptionist and restaurant, I was again, an inconvenience! I ordered a diet coke, the barman put in full fat coke, I said to him "sorry but I did ask for diet coke?" he replied to me "drink it, it is the same, it won't hurt you!", this basically summed up my Thalia experience...the rat on legs which I later was reliably informed was the hotels very own pet dog, would often be seen terrorising holiday makers, nipping at passers by legs, urinating in the pool and generally displaying vermin like qualities ....one advantage was the weather. It was always hot and made us feel more relaxed.....would I go again? Yes but only if the hotel was demolished re-built and upgraded, staff who actually wanted to be there and the rat which was meant to be a dog was destroyed....over a great holiday and I would thoroughly reccomend it, just be prepared!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pefkos
Matina Pefkos Aparthotel
#9 of 9 in Tholos
Kalithea Sun & Sky Hotel
Kalithea Sun & Sky Hotel
#17 of 20 in Kallithea

Been to Thalia Hotel? Share your experiences!