“The worst place I have stayed”
Review of Thalia Hotel

Thalia Hotel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I stayed here with my friend and I wished I hadn't. I found it to be very unfriendly. We had to clean out the pool every morning as it was full of cockroaches and leaves from the surrounding garden areas. I found the owner to be extremely unhelpful and down right rude. I would recommend that people spend their money elsewhere and not go to this hotel from hell.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank blippoEdinburgh

Reviewed 14 July 2008

Date: June 2008
Reviewer: Richard White & Party Lancashire

My Wife and I plus two friends have returned from 2 week stay in Pefcos Rhodes. After booking the holiday I found this site and read what were horrific reports suggesting that people had experienced holidays from hell at this hotel. With this in mind we arrived at the Thalia feeling very apprehensive to say the least but we need not have worried.

The staff were excellent the rooms were clean of reasonable size, towels and bedding was changed regularly and there was NO SEWAGE SMELL

Bearing in mind that the hotel is only rated as a 2*+ it was as good as if not better that many places we have stayed at in Greece and Greek Islands they are nearly all very basic unles you are prepared to pay a lot higher price
Our rooms were located overlooking the Bar/Pool area so consequently there was some noise late into the early hours of the morning, not music that was switch off about 12-15 but people could be heard talking and laughing. If you want a quiet room ask for one away from the bar area at the front of the hotel.

A word of warning there is no kettle and if you want A/C it will cost you 41 Euros a week (most places charge the same) we were lucky enough to not need it in June.

If you are thinking of going have no fears, some people are just unlucky or complain about everything. Just remember what you are paying, if you want 4* then be prepared to pay double the price.

I would recommend this hotel and Pefcos is a fantastic resort with plenty of excellent dining places at good prices you can't go wrong you could get a 3 course meal for 8.90 Euros

We will be returning to the Thalia in the near future

Have a nice Holiday

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank RicbarLancashire
Reviewed 12 November 2007

do not go to this hotel. it smells of sewage, rooms are dirty-no clean towels provided.cutlery was dirty and holes in walls.door handles hanging off, urine stains on mattress and wires hanging out of sockets.the staff were very rude. ive been to rhodes several times in a basic accomodation but this takes the mick! overall the holiday was lovely but i will never come back to the thalia.please do not experience what we have so please stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank En1988
Reviewed 13 September 2007

just got back from 2 week hol at the thalia. 2nd visit to pefkos which is lovely. shame the thalia isnt.
horrible smell of sewage, got bitten to death by little jumping insects( think they were fleas) which were every where.staff not nice at all. rooms were not clean. 1st thing i did on arrival was go out and buy some bleach ect and clean my room. cant understand why anyone would go back a second time, i certainly wont be. i know its a cheap hol and u get what u pay for, but u expect clean.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andrewskipton
Reviewed 9 September 2007

what a holiday,enjoyable,fun and laughs,the family are great,a big thanks to nikos,theo,takis,nomikey,marie,micheal(who is punch bag champion 961)a big hugs and kisses to the aunty.
to top it all it doesn't matter what your room looks like cuz at the end of the day you only sleep their.the people who who cus the thalia are people who do not no how to enjoy youe selfs you bunch of malakers.
from the cheif

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2007

Hi Eveyone me and my partner have just come back from a week in Pefcos Staying at the thalia hotel,This being a 2 star hotel for the price we payed we were not expecting a lot. Our room was changed every 2 days bed linnen and towels and we found the hotel to be basic but clean the pool area was lovely set round a circular bar and a very freindly bar man theo who loves everyone what people have to realize is that if you want to take britain on holiday with you you should go to the main resorts of spain where there are lots of english bars english hotels Rhodes is different and does not support Karaoke bars English bars and i found no trouble in the resort and that is because they dont cater for yobs Finaly we had a lovely holiday in the thalia we met lots of lovely people including the staff and would not hessitate to go back again Cheers Alan Lynn (York)

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank hopeandpray
Reviewed 7 August 2007

I travelled on my own for what was to be a well-earned break. I was a little concerned by the fact that there were no pictures of the rooms in the brochure but hey it was booked through Olympic holidays and surely the standard would be, if not luxurious, at least clean.

When I arrived I was impressed by the entrance to the hotel. I thought I'd won a watch. Handed my key, I set out along a lovely corridor to find my room. The doors were all wooden and modern looking - thumbs up for security I was thinking. I get to the end of the corridor and have to walk down 10 steps to room 125.

It was the only room down there, next to the cleaning staff. Gone was the sturdy doors of upstairs, replaced instead with one of those glass doors with the wire mesh and a big crack too. The room was basic, which wouldn't have been too bad but it looked as if it had just been given a coat of paint to allow it to be rented out. The light switches and sockets were filthy. The view I had when leaving the room was of the toilets built for use by people at the pool and on returning to the room each day, I was enveloped by the smell of cat pee and sewage.

Air conditioning cost 40 euros per week but unlike Veggie Van who had a fan that didn't work, there wasn't even the pretence of a fan in my room. I did try to speak to the rep about the standard but it took a lot of persuasion to even get her to come see the room and once there she assured me that it was the same as the others -yes in that it had the same furniture.

However, the first night I was there I awoke in the early hours of the morning to find my patio door wide open. Not something I would have done considering how mosquitoes love to eat me alive. Something more worrying happened the 2nd night and that was the last night I stayed in this hotel.

Thankfully the people of Pefkos are wonderful and I was able to stay instead at the Palm Bay hotel for the rest of my holiday. Considering that the Palm Bay is supposed to have a lower rating than the Thalia, I was totally gobsmacked. It was clean to a very high standard, the staff were so friendly and the location whilst further from the town centre was much closer to the beach.

I know from talking to people at the Thalia that many people return year after year so I can't say that my experience is common. Perhaps though my one piece of advice would be. If you get to reception and they give you the key for room 125, demand an alternative immediately that's on condition they don't change the room numbers around after this review.

Hi to veggie van, hope your travels are going well.

Maureen