“Great holiday”

Matina Pefkos Aparthotel
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Just returned from a week at the Matina (2 adults and a 7 year old), and had a great time. The hotel is very much a family hotel, and our daughter made some great friends whilst there - making our daytimes much easier by the pool. The weather was very hot but extremely windy on some days, which I loved. Only downside with this was that towels, bottles etc were blown around - no problem, but there were still bottles and cans in the hedges by the pool in the morning - a little more attention to picking up the rubbish in the morning would have been nice.

Didn't really use the Matina Bar apart from the Kids Party one night, but the People Bar was lovely. We ate either breakfast or lunch there most days - very friendly service, and lovely food - big portions too!

A walk to the bakery up 'Cardiac Hill' in the mornings was nice - they sold great raisin pastries and apple pies - worth the walk up the hill.

Before going, we emailed the hotel and asked for a top floor room in the new block, and were extremely lucky to be given room 915 - really well maintained, clean, and great view of the pool. Would have liked our towels to be changed more frequently - were only changed once during our stay. I put them in the bath one day (normally means you'd like them changed), but the maid just hung them back up. However, she did clean the room to a high standard, so really can't complain.

The supermarket on site is very well stocked, and the prices are competitive with the other supermarkets in Pefkos.

Our daughter used the Kids Club a few times, and took a particular shine to Ashley. The Chocolate Party was great fun, and she came back plastered in chocolate:)

Abby and April try hard with the entertainment, but I think it is quite difficult to really get much going as trying to pull together guests from both pools. Bit disappointed that the BBQ evening had no entertainment - it lacked in atmosphere, but the food was lovely.

The staff all work very hard and are always smiling.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and met some lovely families.

Room Tip: New blocks 8 & 9 really good with pool view, but more noise there as closer to both bars.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Stefanos P, Manager at Matina Pefkos Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Claire_Phelps,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

We are so pleased that you had a great holiday.

We have noted your comments about the pool area being cleaned and will ensure closer attention to detail is taken.

Fantastic to hear that you liked your room as well as our facilities. In accordance with our tour operator contracts, towels & linen are changed on a twice weekly basis (including the day of arrival). In the information leaflet in your room it does state that this can be done more often for a small fee.

We thank you for your comments regarding our entertainment team and amendments are constantly made to our schedules to ensure the best animation possible is provided.

Stefanos Pallas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed 30 August 2014

This was the 2nd time to the Matina Hotel, I will write two reviews for both visits.
The first visit was for my sisters wedding, so we were quite a large group, we were dotted around the complex, but that was nothing to worry about. The room we stayed the first visit was fantastic, it had a large balcony and superb views of the sea, they were four of us in the apartment and we found it to be kept very clean and tidy by the maids so we didn’t have any complaints about that. We spent most days around the pool the first visits which was also clean and tidy, and spent some time and money in the peoples bar on an evening, The Meltimi restaurant was great too which is part of the Matina and you receive a discount if you eat there.

All in all I didn’t have anything to complain about.

Ok the 2nd visit,

Again we was a group of twelve but was dotted all over Pefkos this time, me my wife and daughter stayed at Matina. A week or so before we travelled I emailed Matina hotel and asked for the same room. I was advised that this was a superior room and I wouldn’t be put in the room this visit. Ok fair enough there was only 3 of us this time point taken. However I asked for a higher ground room with a nice view, which was responded with I have taken note of your request and will try my best. Ok another fair response.

Room 602 allocated on arrival. Lower, lower ground room. And I repeated lower twice as we were below pool level. The view- a bush. And a cat. Now I am not one for complaining it’s a room were I am washing and sleeping. It was height of the season it is what it is. I did feel the standards of the cleaning had slipped and noticed a few bits, the odd towel were marked and dirty and the lined seemed a little tired too.

Halfa the cat, (half a ear) was there everyday sleeping either on the chairs outside or just outside the doors we didn’t sit out on the terrace anyway just dried our towels out there, and if I did complain about the cat….would they have put someone on guard on my terrace to shoo him/her away? Hmmm.

I also saw a few cig ends in the undergrowth, we are non smokers but my sister popped round used the ash tray outside once, I never emptied it as I never sat outside, but after a few days I did notice it had been emptied now could the cleaners just tossed them there, I am not sure and didn’t investigate that much, but I bet they are still there.

The second week the noisy neighbours moved in. the apartment above us. I can’t seem to understand why they would put a family with young children on the higher ground floors. My daughter is fourteen and has grown out of pulling table and chairs about several times within every couple of minutes, but when this started I was usually on my way out of the room, and never heard them on a night.

Air con is 160 euros for two weeks in a one bed room apartment, and I really did need it on my first visit, but if you stay in one of the lower lower ground floor rooms so how you get on, the room did stay cooler. I really do think I could have survived without it.

I also like to read and the lamps above my bed, started to buzz after about ten minutes so that was a little annoying but with the Mythos inside me and was ready for turning the lamp out, might annoy someone who likes to read for long periods of time

Didn’t spend has much time around the pool as we were out of the complex most days, but did hear complaints about it the pool been very murky.

Mantina is a nice place overall and maybe its my age that I am noticing certain things…it does receive great reviews, all of the above isn’t the worse thing in the world and it didn’t spoil my holiday for once second. I’ve seen reviews about certain resorts around the world. Saying, worst place ever!!! And taken a picture of a broken tile in the bathroom. Would I recommend the Matina, yes but would mention the few things above. Would I go back? yes I would but I will be even older I might go and be grumpy to the reception next time.

1  Thank zombie05

Dear zombie05,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your reviews.

We are pleased you enjoyed your first stay with us and also we appreciate your comments made on your second stay at our complex.

Please note that we do allocate our guests to the correct roomtype, therefore if you have no booked one of our 1-bedroom apartments for 5 (Superior rooms) we are not able to allocate you there. We do always make notes of requests and try our very best to meet them, but we are sure you appreciate that in high season, with a full hotel, if there are no rooms with those specifications available, it is not always possible to fulfill the requests.

If your issues regarding the cat had been reported, we could have taken the necessary steps to report this to the local cat charity and possibly move the cat nearer to the local feeding stations within Pefkos.

We can only apologies for the cigarette ends outside your room, and can assure this is not of our usual cleaning standards. They are definitely no longer there.

Any issues that are reported to any member of our team are dealt with, and we feel that if you had mentioned any of the details you write about such as the lamp etc. we could have improved the quality and enjoyment of your holiday.

Our swimming pools are all within the health and safety requirements and are tested and cleaned on a daily basis.

We hope that these issues you had will not put you off staying with us again for another enjoyable holiday.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Just got back from 2 weeks at Matina, 2 adults and 2 children (7 & 1). Loved the resort, great beach, good restaurant choices and close to Lindos for quick trips there too (a taxi was only 10 euros to get there).

The hotel itself gave us everything we wanted, really close to the beach, well stocked shop on site (with v friendly staff), nice room, comfortable beds, good pools including a toddler one, bars etc. The play area was well used by our children too, the play area itself is a bit tired (the red swing should be thrown away!!!), but that didn't matter to the kids as they still loved it and it was a good area for play out of the sun.

Altogether a great holiday, would happily go back & feel utterly relaxed now and certainly feel that we got our moneys worth. THanks.

Oh, and the onsite restaurant is also very good, worth a separate review...

Room Tip: We asked to be in the newer blocks, we were put in block 8 which worked well for us...
1  Thank SJLBath
Stefanos P, Manager at Matina Pefkos Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear SJLBath,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our facilities to be a of a good standard (We have noted your comments on our play area).

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Myself husband and 2 boys aged 7 and 5 stayed at the matina for 2weeks on 6th august. Best holiday we have ever had, not one single fault, facilities brilliant, restaurant lovely, snack bar brill , both bars great fun, we had a lot if fun at the matina bar especially and mark the barman is brill. Location is perfect so close to the lovely sandy beach, loved every minute and did not want to leave, I'm sure we will be returning in a few years!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Vickyelliss

Dear Vickyelliss,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and are hoping to return again in a few years!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I'm so upset we had to leave yesterday, our most enjoyable family holiday ever. We arrived 13th August and have had 2 beautifully relaxing weeks, the food is amazing.
My daughter is diabetic and also on a gluten free diet, so firstly thanks to Amy who I corresponded through email with to help with regards to food choices at breakfast and evening meal, it made our stay stress free.
People's bar is excellent, the staff are wonderful, we enjoyed breakfasts here and will really miss them, we also had lunch here most days enjoying the gyros and souvlaki's and all the wonderful salads, so much to choose from. The table service was great, loved the stowford press cider served in ice cold glasses, my youngest loved the milkshake's and ice-creams.
Meltemi restaurant is second to none, special thanks to the brothers and all the staff in there, so helpful with food choices, and as I've said before with my eldest daughter needing to eat gluten free they'd even ordered in gluten free spaghetti for her, there is kits on the menu that she was able to have, she loved the salmon kleftiko and the stuffed potatoe skins the best, my favourites were the labour as and beef stafado oh and the baklava yum! We ate out twice but the food didn't come close, we had a meal at kyma which is an excellent setting yes but meltimis authentic greek dishes top it. It is definitly worth paying the extra for half board, the meltimi menu has so much choice we had a different meal every night, you can have 2 dishes each out of starters, mains and desserts, I struggled eating 2 courses as they were quite big but I'm missing the food already. Oh and thanks to stergos for the greek lessons "S 'agapo all at the matina!"
Big thanks for our lovely room 715, beautiful view of the mountains, fantastic cleaner kept this very well cleaned 6 days a week, lots of storage space, paying for air con is a must, budget this in with your holiday stay. We ordered online from abc before our arrival and was great to arrive to everything ready in our room, and thanks for putting water in the fridge and a bottle in the freezer, this was used on the beach on our first day - much needed in that heat! If you don't order online the supermarket and bars are open late anyway.
Location is perfect, so many shops and bars within 5 mins walking distance, the beach is 2 mins away with crystal clear waters, sun beds 4 euros each.
Pop into Aretimis jewellers and gift shop whilst there, lovely owner who kept giving my girls little presents, the Greeks are the most friendly welcoming people, it was our first time in greece and will definitly return, my 5 year old cried as the plane took off!
You must visit Pallas travel to book excursions, very reasonably priced, we paid only 42 euros for rhodes express by day for 2 adults and 2 kids, the old town is wonderful, the museums are a must and odyssey restaurant is fantastic.
Also take a taxi to lindo, the reception will book this for you, only cost us 10 euros there and 8 back. The donkey rides are 5 euros each, kids loved this and their picture is took which you find back at the bottom for 4 euros. The acropolis is amazing, and the roof garden restaurant has beautiful views over the bay.
You must take the glass bottom boat trip, don't just turn up though, book with the lady at the house to ensure your spot on the boat (if your going in August anyway) we saw lots who just turned up get turned away as the boat was full. Swimming in Naverone bay was the highlight for my partner, it's honestly the most amazing experience ever, staying on the boat to lindos and straight back for 2 adults and 2 kids cost us 54 euros, drinks on board 1 euro each.
Back to the matina, the grounds and pools are excellent, the maintainence men work tirelessly day and night, we saw the pool checked and cleaned daily. The laudably room onsite is good, 6 euros for 2 tokens at reception. Clothes dried quickly on the balcony with the clothes airer provided.
My youngest enjoyed the games in the small pool with abbey and April, great little play area and the pool onto people's bar was just fantastic and our favourite, we met many nice families here with the kids all making friends. Great free wi fi at people's bar and in reception. I won't hesitate to come back here, thanks again to the matina for the most wonderful 2 weeks, if only we could have stayed with you longer!

Room Tip: Don't worry about the new blocks, we loved block 7 and the old blocks if you're lucky to get...
5  Thank Nottmmum

Dear Nottmmum,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

We are so pleased that you & your family had a wonderful stay with us and that you found our facilities and our food to be of a high standard, and it was our pleasure to be able to meet your daughters dietary needs well.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed at the Matina in August. Booked with jet2 and payed extra for a new room. Very glad we did as they were very spacious, clean and comfy. Had a pool view and could also see the sea. A good mix of people at this hotel, lots of families. food in the peoples bar was very good and reasonably priced. As we are a family of 7 we booked 2 apartments and as requested were very close to each other. Playground equipment a bit tired but the kids enjoyed it. Can't comment on the matina bar as we stayed round the newer pool. Kids club was fine, chocolate party was enjoyed. The resort of Pefkos was perfect for us. Plenty of restaurants for all tastes and budgets, especially enjoyed Enigma, smile garden and flavia. glass bottom boat trip is a must, fab time and such a laugh speeding back through the waves. Matina is situated a stones throw from the beach and a short walk up to the main strip . Really can't fault it and will be back next year.

Room Tip: New block has nice pool views
3  Thank claire_hatton
Stefanos P, Manager at Matina Pefkos Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear claire_hatton,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to meet your requests.

We look forward to seeing you again next summer.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We went as a three generation holiday which was a first for us. All our rooms were of a very good size compared to others we have stayed on in Greece. We had a large balcony which was lovely for breakfast - the only meal I make!The pool areas were great catering for all ages and level confidence in the water. Even with eight of us at times we didn't have a problem getting sun beds together. People were friendly and helpful. There are numerous restaurants to eat in that you can easily be spoilt for choice. A great place in a lovely resort. Lindabowness

Room Tip: We requested a quiet upper room and got it
1  Thank Lindabowness

Dear Lindabowness,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us - all three generations!