Wheelgate House Bed & Breakfast
The Fleece(Witney)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$148
  • Breakfast included
Old Swan & Minster Mill(Minster Lovell)
US$181
The Bell Hotel(Faringdon)
US$107
US$104
Travelocity
All reviewsdownton abbeythe ownertop floorprivate bathroomfilming locationssteep stairslittle gembreakfast was excellentwould stay againdressing gownsold houseusing local producenice buildingslept soundlyrooms are comfortableplenty of storagekeypad entry
Reviewed 27 August 2013

What an excellent B&B and with the new Bistro downstairs it's just perfect to relax after a long drive. Clean quiet and superb staff what more could you want. Brilliant position in the village plenty of parking, even outside if you're lucky! It just fits the bill. Thanks for a most enjoyable stay

Room Tip: the nightingale is an excellent room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013

A lovely B&B, exceptionally clean throughout, lovely cottage style property, well situated in the town. We had a very spacious bedroom with enough space for a double bed, a single and our travel cot with a bit of room spare too. Although we did not sample the evening bistro menu, it looked great. Top quality service too, when we asked for a cab to the neighbouring village, the owner gave us a lift! really friendly staff and a breakfast to die for, we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I had high expectations of Wheelgate House after reading such good reviews on Tripadvisor.
However, I was very disappointed upon arrival.
The exterior/reception/restaurant were pleasing on the eye - whereas the bedroom/bathroom were far from pleasing.
I was confused to find that our bathroom was separate to the bedroom, and not even next door to our room? The bathroom was in dire need of a re-furb. 80's style bathroom suite with a shower curtain. The bathroom was clean, which I appreciated, just desparately needed a makeover.
The bedroom, again, needed an update. 2 single beds that were very noisy and old. The furnishings were all very out of character - non matching and to be honest, rather ugly (I understand the building is old, but the furnishings were nearly as old as the building!). Fake flowers on the bedside table, dusty shelf/window area, and cheap crockery. Just not fitting with the £85 per night price tag.
Breakfast was quite enjoyable, until I found a long dark hair under my bacon. To avoid embarrassment to the chef, I powered through the breakfast. I'm not sure how this was missed when plating the breakfast in the kitchen?
I will not be returning to Wheelgate House, as I believe for £85 you can find a much nicer room elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LadyJemma
bizgooddy, Owner at Wheelgate House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Lady Gemma, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Wheelgate House. Most of my customers love the quaintness of the old house (circa.1740) with it's uneven upper floors, exposed beams and yes, some of the antique furniture is nearly as old as the house. Two double rooms have en-suite bathrooms but due to the lay-out of the property, the private bathroom for the twin room is across the landing. It clearly states the twin room has a private bathroom on the website and in my correspondence with you before your stay. Unfortunately one of the pretty vintage plates developed a dark hairline crack and was used in an oversight, it has since been thrown away. If you had brought the problem to my attention, I would not have charged you. Best wishes Biz

Reviewed 23 August 2012

6 of us (4 adults, 2 children) stayed here recently for one night and we all absolutely loved it!
I am not the sort of traveller who sets out to find faults, but if things aren't quite right I'd happily say so. I can't find anything to dislike about this one.
The rooms are cottage-style, small and cosy and beautifully decorated with minute attention to detail and all usual amenities. The garden of Wheelgate House is also in line with the cottage feel about the place - lovely!
Elizabeth, the owner, is very friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. I got the feeling that it is genuinely important to her that her guests have a good time at Wheelgate House.
We also visited her "Biztro", located on the ground floor of Wheelgate House, in the evening and we were overwhelmed. The food was absolutely fantastic and the whole experience really exceeded our expectations. Dishes were classic but with interesting twists, really yummy, reasonably priced and everything was presented beautifully. Service in the Biztro was very good and they also have an extensive wine lists. Breakfast was also delicious and plentiful.
The location is not only in the heart of a cute village, but also a very good base for plenty of things to do in Oxfordshire.
All in all, a lovely place oozing with charm and personal touches, great food and inexpensive - what more could you want?

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2012

6 of us fussy oldies have just stayed here for a local wedding. Great welcome and ambiance. Charming owner went out of the way and put herself out over and above the call of duty, to accomodate our slightly unusual reqirements. Excellent freshly cooked tasty breakfast using the finest quality ingredients

Room Tip: some rooms[ours]have bath/wc across main landing
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends