“'Basic needs' - Could be much more”

Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers
“'Basic needs' - Could be much more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

Great site for very special mountain views.
Really like the feel of the place but think there hasnt been much attention to detail during room services and grounds maintence that really lets it down.

My suggested areas of attention below,
Reception should be uncluttered & dusted
Towels are not stained,plates not chipped
Investigate ways to make towels less stiff
Sweep verandah,replace teabags/coffee daily, Ensure sufficient plates cups cutlery
Freshen rooms with natural oils ie lavender or eucalyptus.

Pool- paint & seal pool areas
More shade or umbrellas

Grounds-Remove dead leaves & branches
Wipper snip around units, plant fruit trees

Rather than charge bbq- should sell frozen meat (profit) or homemade sweets from area?

• Stayed January 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Thames, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

We stayed only one night at Te Aroha Holiday Park at Cottage Poppy. We found it to be a cute quirky little cottage that suited our needs exactly. It was clean, plenty of towels, comfy bed, great shower. It was well equipped with kitchen amenties and also a good tv. Even a little vase of flowers which was a nice cheery welcome! We would certainly return to the camp.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dooleysmum
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

Te Aroha is a wonderful town to visit so I wanted to show it off to some Japanese friends of mine. Decided to do it the kiwi way and stay in a tent so booked to stay at the holiday park (the only one in the town). We turned up a bit early but as we were staying in a tent I figured it would be ok (not like they needed to make the bed for us or anything).
When we provided the owner with our booking confirmation she told us that she didn't have any record of our booking. We had booked this several days before and had the confirmation email and number to prove it. So after that was settled we were told that if we wanted to check in now that would be an additional $20.
Deciding that we didn't want to pay the extra we went back to Te Aroha for an hour before returning to the holiday park. This time there was a helpful member of the staff who attended to us. Surprise surprise she found our booking with no worries and advised us on where we were allowed to set up the tent. As we were about to move the car to our selected site the owner comes across and says that we are not allowed to pitch the tent in our selected spot (beside two other tents) and we had to go to the otherwise of the park away from all the facilities!!!
I was so shocked at her treatment towards myself and my friends.
If you wish to stay in the area drive the 30 odd minutes to Matamata and stay there.
Avoid the Te Aroha holiday park like the plague and have an enjoyable holiday somewhere where you are not treated like something found on the bottom of a shoe.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Walkingkiwi
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies, if upon your arrival, you found reception unacceptable. As you arrived very early, our guest arrival ' s list had not been prepared, but I am pleased to read that you were later satisfied with check in procedures. Our check in time is 2 pm, early check in (after 10 am) is possible, if we have your room ready or in the case of camping, if you don't mind waiting for communal facilities to be cleaned. In any case a surcharge applies and I am sorry that this was not made clear to you at the time of your booking. We have 2 separate types of camping sites, powered and unpowered sites. Your booking was for an unpowered site which is situated in a different area to the powered sites. Both tenting guests and campervan guests can use these sites. My apologies again, I should have explained to you that for a small surcharge of $ 3 you could have upgraded your existing unpowered site to the one you had chosen for that day. I can understand that you were dissapointed when you could not pitch your tent at the pitch you had in mind. I really hope you can come back some other time and give us another chance to please you and your friends in our usual way.

Travellers are raving about these Te Aroha hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

I really enjoyed coming here. Anna and the girls were lovely and approachable, even after hours! I stayed in a caravan the first night, and although small made me feel like I was truly on holiday! The 2nd night was spent in the Acorn Cabin, which I thought had everything I needed and only a quick hop skip n jump to the bathrooms/showers and swimming pool/rock pool. The pools had the most exquisite view of Te Aroha Mountain, after travelling various parts of the world was one of the best views from a pool I've had. The bathrooms & communal kitchen were exceptionally clean. I liked the fact that many people came in late afternoon and left early morning to continue their travel so the place was quiet during the day which was lovely. I'm planning to come back down from Auckland for a weekend at the end of January I enjoyed the serenity and realness of it all so much. Thanks Anna...Kirstie

Room Tip: The cabins are great value if you're going in the colder months or if you want to chill and watc...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydeney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

The cabin we stayed in was very small and smelled musty. It lacked blankets and linen. Cooking facilities were good but the fridge was off when we arrived. A handtowell was a rag.
To use the BBQ there was a $10 charge. The thermal pool had restricted time use. The swimming pool was ols and unkept, but useable. The play park I would regard as good but dangerous. Definite supervision and judgement needed. The other patrons were really good to talk to and that was the most enjoyable aspect of this place. We met some very interesting people at the thermal pool. If you are on a budget it's would be good, just know the cabin you're getting. Some looked very good.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

We did the booking for nice and cute room, nice pictures, nice description on your hotels.com webiste. We just get a 20 years old CARAVAN without water, toilet, shower....

You can check some pictures on Tripadvisor!!!

I will only say that it's nice place if you have to go with your own tent.

Out of the city (small village).

Room Tip: Never rent the Salomon Caravan
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Taumarunui, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2012

i have visited this camp many times
I have found service to tops
The camp and cabins well presented well equipped and a wonderful place to stay
Improvements are continuing to be done the latest is a neat adventure playground for
the kids
I will return again next year

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
#5 of 5 in Matamata
Tower Road Motel
Tower Road Motel
#1 of 5 in Matamata

Been to Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers? Share your experiences!