“Relaxing and great location”

Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers
Shrewbury
“Relaxing and great location”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This is a great holiday camp, very relaxing with lots of facilities including a flying fox ride.
The hot tub is great after a day of hiking. Cute tidy well equipped cabins.
The owner is very friendly and accommodating.
A great family friendly place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Waiheke Island, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The brochure says animal friendly. Unfortunately our little fox terrier ate rat poison that was easily accessible behind the fridge. We had to rush her to the vet who were also shocked at the ease with which the dog found it. Our immediate thought was thank goodness it was not a baby or toddler that found it. The mattresses are so uncomfortable that we came home with sore hips and backs. Had to borrow coffee cups and towels off my mum. The hot water wasn't working in our cabin, the tv is an antique that hissed the whole time it was on, musty smelling and the bedding hadn't been changed in ages. The cleaner needs sacking as in our cabin someone had crapped on the floor and walked it through the unit - disgusting. Overall very disappointing and we feel the units are outdated and generally need a revamp throughout.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry about what had happened to your little dog and am glad that you received adequate treatment to safe him from serious harm. I can imagine that this whole experience gave you a fright. You had booked and stayed in one of our dog friendly standard cabins, These don't have any hot water supply, they are for budget travelers, we don't supply towels and stock only basic cuttlery and crockery for two in each of these, however we do have plenty of spare at reception if required. Any rodent control has since been installed inside a safe tube to stop other animals to gain acess. I have also checked with cleaners and am assured that our normal cleaning procedures were observed, all units were clean and you were shown the room prior to check-in at which time no problems were reported. Could you please get back to me with more details, so I can follow up?

Travellers are raving about these Te Aroha hotels

St Arnaud, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I changed my itinerary and arrived here one day earlier than expected, but my cottage was vacant and the owner quite happy to accommodate me. Unfortunately it was raining hard and although I had booked there with the intention of using the hot pool, they said they could not use it during storms or heavy rain. I must have looked stricken because about an hour later he came over and said because the rain had stopped he would fill the pool for me! I had a good soak, watching the stars and the scudding clouds, on a cool evening. The pool was very small, shallow, and not all that hot but I enjoyed it nevertheless, and was the only person using it. There are two other empty swimming pools in the complex, whether they are up and running in summer, I do not know, but they looked a bit neglected.

I stayed in "Tui Cottage" only a few metres from the pool. It was clean and modern, with a very comfortable bed, fresh linen and good thick pillows, and I slept wonderfully well. The cabin was well away from the road so there was no traffic noise. The kitchen was welll equipped and the bathroom and towels perfectly adequate. I certainly could not complain about value for money as I was charged only $70.

I would not hesitate to stay there again, and it puzzles me to see the negative reviews as I had nothing but friendly and co-operative attention from the owner, and I would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Tui Cottage is perfect for a solo traveller or a couple.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for taking time to write this review. I am pleased you liked it here and hope to see you again, of course. The little hot pool is available at 40oC between 6.30 pm and 8 pm as our natural spring is only luke warm, we apply additional energy during these popular evening hours; before and after these times it either heats up or cools down. What time did you hopp in? The two empty large pools you refer to are always filled in summer, following a planned repair and paint job in spring.
Leeds
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Sadly even though we visited in winter this place needs an update and some loving care or bad reviews will become commonplace. I list a few things here- I would normally not bother writing reviews but we thought we should to give a real update on this place. I recommend the owners visit other holiday parks to get an idea of how things have changed in the last 10-15yrs.

1. Even though it was winter and they clearly had hardly any clients they pretended to only have 2 cabins available, one with single beds and the other much bigger and more expensive! We only got another cabin because we pressed the issue. Please don't lie to potential clients.
2. Cabin had not been aired in months it seemed, not sure when the sheets were last changed. However it was dry and the paintwork was fine but not much else to say about it.
3. Random toaster and kettle on top of fridge with no plugs nearby or indeed a water supply.
4. The only furniture apart from the beds was a dresser in which we found to our surprise random assortments of cutlery and kitchenware which was quite pungent.
5. The TV was very old and hissed scarily, and could not be plugged in the same time as the heater.
6. The double bed tried to engulf you alive and I suspect the mattresses are in the region of 100 years old.
7. There was plenty of child play stuff around for families which looked a lot newer than the accommodation randomly. The communal kitchen however was small and needs updating and some equipment to cook with would be nice.
8. There was a random caravan parked right behind our cabin which was occupied despite the entire park being empty.
9. The wifi wasn't strong enough to cover the whole park and the codes we were given were both expired.

All in all this place just needs some better care and attention with just a relatively simple update to bring it into the current century. However there isn't much competition for this holiday park around Te Aroha so good luck!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrJD
Thank you for writting your review. I am sorry that you did not like your stay in Cabin "Kauri", which at the time of your visit was the only one available with a double bed. All the other 7 cabins (either twin or double) have their own water supply and a small sink/kitchen unit, modern LCD Tv and a small deck, unfortunately they were all occupied when you arrived. It is always advisable to check before you book and make sure we have the desired bedding arrangement on the date you book. I have since checked the Kauri Cabin and could not find any problems with either the bed or the cuttlery/crockery. Other guests staying since your visit had comfortable nights sleep with their families. It has wooden floor boards, walls and windows, not sure sure if perhaps the unique native timber scents seemed unfamiliar to you. I am pleased however, that you liked our adventure playground with treeswings, flying fox and ropes. The communal kitchen has a collection of utensils with more available from reception on request, I am sorry that you missed seeing these, they are located on a stainless steel trolley near the stove and the enamel cooking tops. I hope you can come some other time and enjoy some of the other Cabins in the Park
Pauanui, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Before we stayed we spoke twice to the staff and they were friendly and confirmed our room was ready and confirmed our price. We were staying with a few other families and the only other family accommodation for us was a cabin room which has an internet special rate of $65.
I let the staff know I had 4 children (and because they were young - we needed to stay in with them) - but as there were only beds for 2 adults and 2 children - the staff said all good - can still have for same price as they are not providing any more beds for the extra 2 children. The people on the phone were chatty and lovely.
All good until we arrived and met the owner - who said we could not have the room for the family rate and had to pay $93 or else we could leave. We were dumbfounded.
We asked what was the extra charge for? - the answer was "I am providing you with nothing only beds for 4 people but you need to pay the rate card price and not the internet special price as you have 4 children".
Our children wanted to stay with their friends so we paid the price and stayed. However we vowed never to return and to let people know what the owner of this place is like. Very disappointing.
Be careful when agreeing a price - it WILL be changed if the owner does not agree and she will not phone you beforehand to let you know that she wants to change the price.
A horrible experience.

Room Tip: Stay in town - this place is out of the way.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you for writting your review. It appears that there was a missunderstanding about rates when you booked cabin Kauri for your family of 6, please accept my sincere apologies for that. I can understand your dissapointment if you expected to pay for only 4 people, when in fact I had to charge you the correct rate in order to be consistent with pricing policies. Whilst we always check with customers that pricing and arrangements are understood, it seems that in your case the extra two children were not acounted for at the time the booking was made. I hope you enjoyed your stay and that you can all come back here again some other time.
Port Moresby
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed with our two young children in one of the tourist flats. The flats are old, but clean and well maintained. The kitchen in the flat had an adequate set of utensils to cook our dinner. The kids loved the adventure playground, which was right outside our door. Lovely grounds and well established trees. We would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Free hot mineral pool available here. It is quite small and only open from 5-8pm but it was a nice feature. The ground was not that comfortable for sleeping in a tent, though. The kitchen was a bit small and you had to use your own cookware as nothing was provided. There was also a tv room and a billiards room. Free time-limited wifi was a valuable addition as well. I would only stay here if you make it in time for the free hot mineral pool.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad youienjoyed the hot pool and free WiFi while camping at the Park. I have taken your comments on board and now installed additional shelving with essential cuttlery and crockery in the communal kitchen.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Te Aroha
#5 of 5 in Matamata
Tower Road Motel
Tower Road Motel
#1 of 5 in Matamata

Been to Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers? Share your experiences!