“Beautiful Te Aroha” 4 of 5 bubbles

Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers
Te Aroha, New Zealand
“Beautiful Te Aroha”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We used this venue as a base while checking out Te Aroha before moving here. Accommodation was basic but clean/tidy. Different options - some quirkier than others. Awesome adventure playground! Friendly staff. Thanks for an enjoyable stay :)

Room Tip: Try to choose a spot away from the trees - there were a few mozzies about!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Hi Kate. Thank you for your "quirky feedback". I hope you found your own nest in Te Aroha. Anna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

My stay at Te Aroha was my worst experience in New Zealand and probably my worst hotel/motel/camping night experience in decades! First, at least 24 hours in advance, I reserved a 2-bedroom flat with kitchen and bathroom from the campground's website and received a confirmation email. When we arrived, Anna did not have the room and did not recall our reservation. She then checked her email and found our reservation. She offered to "upgrade" us to a 1-bedroom. At 9:30 pm that night our electricity went out. Since it was a cold and rainy night (42F/6C and lower), we needed electricity to stay warm with the portable heaters and hot water. At first, we checked the cabin's breakers with no luck. I then went to the office to ask for help. Anna's daughter (a teenager?) said that she didn't know anything about the electricity and that her mother, who was out, should be back in 20 minutes. I went back to the cabin in the cold rain, waited for 50 minutes, and then went back to the office. The office door was open. No one answered the door buzzer. No one picked up the phone when I called three separate times. After ten minutes, I pressed the door buzzer repeatedly. Finally, a young man came to the door. He said that he didn't know where Anna was. In our conversations, both the young man and the girl tried to phone Anna, but she did not pick up the phone. The young man offered to come look at our cabin, but he did not find the problem. (The rest of the campground had its electricity.) He offered to put us in two different cabins which sounded good until we saw them. Neither cabin had a bathroom. The beds had dusty sheets and no blankets. The windows were open, so the cabins were quite cold. The heaters were inadequate. When I went back to the office in the cold rain to ask about a cabin with bathrooms, I saw that the young man had left a note on the office door telling Anna to talk with him about the problem in our cabin when she returned. Since no other cabins were available, I decided to make the move with hopes that the electric heaters would finally warm up the new dusty cabin. I had made several trips between the cabins to transport bedding and personal items when I noticed that suddenly (a short time after midnight) the electricity was back on in our original cabin. I then had to move the bedding and personal items back in the cold rain to the original cabin. The next morning, Anna apologized for the problems; however, her response was not appropriate to the situation. First, she implied that we must have done something to cause the electricity to go out. The lights were on, a tea kettle was on to boil, one portable heater was going in one room, and another portable heater was going in another room. That should NOT be enough to cause a power failure. Second, Anna said that she had responded to the problem promptly, which is absolutely untrue. From 9:30-11:30 pm without doubt, the young people in the office repeatedly stated that they could not reach her and that she wasn't answering her phone. The evidence of the note on the door was proof. Third, Anna offered to give us a discount . . . of only 30% (which would not be processed for up to 15 days as transactions were not computerized)! I can't believe we had to pay for our poor experience. To sum up, Anna didn't notice our reservation for a 2-bedroom cabin, she did not have a similar cabin available when we arrived, we were given a 1-bedroom cabin when we needed a 2-bedroom, the electricity was out for 2.5 hours (or the entire evening of our stay), we were without heat during that time in cold weather, and the replacement cabins were not good (with dust, no blankets, and no toilets). I honestly cannot think of one good thing to say about our stay at Te Aroha Holiday Park. The worst part is that Anna was unreachable for over 2 hours and the young people "in charge" did not know how to handle the problems. While I understand that we all may need some time away from work, I think it is inexcusable for a campground to not have a responsible person or trained staff on duty to handle problems. At the very least, there should be fix-it people available that the young people would know to call. The campground itself doesn't seem too bad. The problem is mismanagement.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank suzanHK
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you SzanHK for your review. Once again I am sorry that the electricity supply to your cabin went out for 1.5 hrs between 9.30 pm and midninght. I can assure you that our after hours electrician was called immediately, after the person in charge could not solve the problem himself and indeed arrived within an hour at midnight to to fix the broken circuit as a result of overheating.
Cottage Possum is a 2 bedroom unit and represents an upgrade from the flat you had booked. I was confident that this was the most comfortable solution for the three of you but apologise if you were unhappy with the Cottage.
I am glad that you liked the Park and hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in New Zealand.

Travellers are raving about these Te Aroha hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay in the Te Aroha Holiday Park, the staff is very friendly and helpful, everything is superclean and their huge playground area seems amazing for families with children...;) But we recommend it to all travellers!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kaikohe, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Sad to read all the negative comments, many of which referred to things outside Anna's control. Our family of 5 stayed in one of the tourist flats and found it to be well appointed, clean and tidy, in fact it would have to be the best presented unit we have stayed in. Sadly we didn't have the time to make the most of the playground etc that is provided. For us this is somewhere we would definitely stay again and recommend to others as well. Garry Munford-Stokes

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Adelaide
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We booked 2 nights here on a 9 night around NZ holiday and from the moment I checked in I wanted to leave!
We had a family party to attend in Te Aroha and therefore needed to stay somewhere local. My wife researched on the internet and found that a cottage at the Te Aroha holiday park is the way to go (as there is very little accommodation options around here).
Firstly we stayed 1 night in the Tui cottage. The 'cottage' we like something straight out of the 1950's. It was very old and had a musty smell, the bed linen and beds were very old, outdated and in all seriousness were likely 30 - 40 years old. The only oil heater we were provided with was at least 20 years old and was also BROKEN - one of the switches on it was covered over with tape (to cover the exposed electrical parts behind the switch).
The water pressure in the shower was basically non-existent which made for a very cold and uncomfortable shower, oh and that now bring me to the bath and hand towels... apart from the fact that we were only provided 2 towels (when 3 of us were staying), the towels were also at least 20 years old... the sort of towels you would only use to bath your animal or use as a clean-up rag around the house, No joking, They should have been thrown out years ago, they were frayed, scratchy and just plain disgusting.
Quite funny considering they give you some information about the place when you first check in which states that the owner 'Anna' is "committed to the parks continued development" - How ironic considering its obvious that NO improvements have been made for many many years.
The cottage was also conveniently placed right next to an electric fence, which we continually had to keep my 3 year old son from touching. It would have been nice if there was a sign advising us of this rather than have it told to us randomly by a passer by.
Sure this place has an 'adventure playground' which might be good for some teenagers, however there is no basic playground and as a result our 3 years old who loves a slide and a swing had nothing to do.
The 'free' WIFI is only available during the day and we couldn't get a reliable signal from the cottage so it was pretty much useless to us. The pools are closed in the cooler months and the heated mineral hot pool (which could probably fit 5 people max) is ONLY open for 2 and a half hours from 6pm onwards per day.
On our second day we went to go in this mineral hot pool and noticed that it hadnt even been filled up with water. We asked a worker about it and he went and filled it up. I believe it took about an hour to fill... when it was full we again went to go in and found the water to be completely cold! I then went and found the owner and asked her how the hot pool could possibly be cold (we were assuming it was naturally thermal heated from underground like other pools in the area), the owner advised me that the gas must have run out! - so this hot pool is only heated by gas anyway. They then re-filled the hot pool and we took a dip in it which lasted about 15 mins as it was barely hot anyway and we didnt really want to sit in a rapidly cooling "hot pool".
Oh and did i mention that the washing machines were $4 per load (very expensive compared to other places in NZ) and they also want to charge you $10 for the use of a BBQ! We also were not provided with any dishwashing detergent or milk for the tea/coffees, which i have been provided everywhere else i have stayed so far in NZ.
We were woken in the middle of the night to an electric buzzing sound, after investigation found that the powerpoint next to my sons bed (where the TV was plugged in) was making some strange noises. We quickly switched it off as we were concerned about potential electrical shocks or fires.
We complained in the morning and was advised that we could move to a different cottage. We took this opportunity and the second cottage was slightly better. Again all of the furniture was very old and the place smelled the same as the other place, but this one at least had a heater from the last decade, wasn’t near an electric fence and had a few more items in the kitchen cupboards. We did pull out the teapot in the afternoon to make a drink and found that the inside of it was all burnt out and black. Quite disgusting really.
In conclusion this place was very rundown, old and quite disgusting. The accommodation was extremely poor quality and I would not stay here again even if they paid me too.
We have stayed at 6 other places in NZ prior to staying here and all were a very similar price range to this one. At each we were made to feel welcome, we were provided clean linen in good condition and all the required basic necessities... However at this place we felt like they just were in it to make money.
I pled to the owner, please try to update the accommodation – and just a hint, start with the bath towels and bed linen! Your place is disgusting and it appears you don’t care about the quality of accommodation you provide to people.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jareds83
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Jareds.
Thank you for your review. I am sad that my place has left you with so many disappointments. Most of my guests appreciate the homely feel and although other people have had commented on similar issues such as towels and furniture, they are all clean and comfortable. There is a continuous process to upgrade and replace contents and hopefully your next visit will be more satisfying to you. During the rain it is really difficult to keep the Hot pool at the 40oC, as the mineral spring feeding our pool is only 24oC, we apply a heater to achieve that temperature. It is natural thermal mineral water and not treated with any chemicals.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our family of 3 generations shared a holiday in NZ recently. Our first stay for 3 nights was Te Aroha Holiday Park and we had a ball!. The service was friendly and went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable.With an adult flying fox, trampoline and great playground area, pool table and piano all available for our use, this was the perfect start to our holiday. The thermal pool was appreciated and the setting was stunning.
Totally recommend this for a relaxing, fun-filled holiday - and close to Matamata for Hobbiton too!

Room Tip: This is not luxury accommodation if that's what you are looking for - but it is clean, comfortab...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
New Plymouth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

On arrival the place seemed very neglected. We booked in, no credit card facilities so this had to be processed the old fashioned manual way. This camp has clearly been let go & is certainly nothing that it portrays to be on brochures and on advertising media. Washing machines take 4 x $1 coins and dryers take $1 coins also. When I went to see if the office had any $1 coins so we could use the laundry, I was told no sorry. There is a $5 bond taken for the key to the TV room if you dare. It was so musty it was unbearable! This camp is very old, dirty, rundown and very uninviting. We didn't even trust the one hotpool that is filled at 5pm daily. Broken fences, weeds & a smelly dump station nearby are not my idea of a tranquil setting in a hotpool. I would definately not recommend this camp.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Racgra
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you Rach Norgate for your feedback. I am sorry that you were so disappointed on many occasions during a short visit to my Park, During the winter months, and especially when rain and wind sets in, our 10 large oak trees are shedding leaves and small twigs. Regular ground maintenance can sometimes not keep up during this seasonal occurrence. Laundry machines are operated by $ 1 coins. I am sorry that no change was available when you enquired at reception. Your complaint has prompted me to organise additional reserves. Communal rooms and the little hot pool are our guests delights, Not sure why you found these less then acceptable. Could you please contact me directly to discuss?. Once again thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Te Aroha
Tower Road Motel
Tower Road Motel
#1 of 5 in Matamata
Beachaven Kiwi Holiday Park

Been to Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers? Share your experiences!