We have just finished a 10 day stay at this hotel, wanted to find some winter sun and Barbados never let us down? I hope you find this review balanced but let's start by saying that you will get value for money.
We booked our holiday via Virgin, fantastic service right from the very start, great flight and arrived fresh and ready to go. We were met at the airport by a Virgin rep, the collection and drop off were well organised. We arrived at our hotel about 35 minutes after leaving the airport. First impressions of the hotel were mixed, in all honesty it doesn't really look like a hotel from the road. We were ushered into the reception area where we were met by the Virgin rep and a representative of the hotel and we were given welcome drinks made up of rum punch. The reception staff were efficient and our bags were taken to our room which was ready for us upon arrival.
Our room was a "pool access delux" room and I would highly recommend that you book a similar type. Our first floor room had steps leading down to a pool which winds it's way round in a circle.....very nice. The room was however basic, the bathroom could definitely do with a refresh, the shower area was tatty and it was at best 2 star standard. the main room was ok and we had a very large double bed, we also had a single bed for our ten year old and the room was big enough for it not to feel cramped.
The blurb will tell you there are three restaurants, forget it, there are in fact just the two, Drifters which is a beach bar and Rachel's which is typically a la carte. We found the food at Drifters better then Rachel's, it was buffet style and lots to choose from. Overall the food was very good, plentiful and varied, absolutely no complaints however there is a strange place called chop sticks which was never open for the whole time we were there.
The service at e bar and in the restaurant was interesting. Barbadian people don't seem to rush anything and I often found myself waiting too long to be served. On some nights it was clear that more staff were required. All the staff however were a credit to the hotel, very accommodating and very friendly especially Tyrone the pool attendant who was always happy to have a chat. we wanted to hire a car and unfortunately the Virgin rep could not accommodate us however the reception staff went out of there way to help.
Now to get onto the big disappointment with this hotel? The beach is not suitable for swimming, forget what the brochure says about wearing beach shoes, there is so much coral it is impossible to swim. They will tell you that there is a beach just around the corner and in fairness there is however (call me lazy) I want a beach in front of my hotel. The Hotel do offer a trip to Coral bay which is a fantastic beach and will give you tokens for the beach bar there however I would much prefer a decent beach in front of the hotel. The swimming pool was very small as well and whilst there was this meandering type pool I felt the hotel lacked a decent size "normal" pool.
Two questions come to mind......1. Would we recommend this hotel and 2. Would we come back. In terms of recommending the hotel, I think we probably would but on the basis that the beach situation was fully explained. Would we come back....probably not!
At the end of the day, it's listed as 3.5 star and I think that's about spot on. We had a brilliant time, Barbados is a brilliant place to visit, the weather in feb is ideal, the Hotel is good enough so give it go but just don't expect too much. Hope this helps
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated near the historic Garrison Savannah on the pristine coastline of Barbados, Savannah Beach Hotel is a beachfront four-star resort that easily ranks as one of the most idyllic destinations on the island. It is a Caribbean paradise that simply must be experienced! Forget everything you’ve ever known or experienced about all-inclusive hotels… Savannah is distinctly different. It is an all-inclusive hotel with style! Dive in… Savannah is an excellent choice for a relaxed Caribbean holiday. You are just steps from the beach, ensuring a blissful holiday in the Caribbean sun. Spoilt for choice, there are 2 swimming pools, 1 that meanders through the garden courtyard and has a 4-storey waterfall, the other is located down by the beach. When it comes to family holidays, children and teens are extremely well catered for at this hotel, there is an extensive family entertainment centre (opening Easter ’12) to keep even the most energetic children entertained! For those romantic moments, why not go down to the beach for a moonlight romantic stroll before heading to the late night bar. Live entertainment 5 nights per week, including themed nights and floor shows. Weekly manager’s barbecue party. Three restaurants; the main restaurant has a twist on Caribbean gourmet dining, open for buffet breakfast, buffet lunch and dinner 7 days a week. The Beach restaurant and bar is open 7 days a week for lunch and 5 days a week for dinner serving a wide range of barbecue, pastas, grilled fish and burgers for lunch and in the evening a themed dinner including Mexican, Indian, Chinese as well as Caribbean cuisine. There is also an Asian fusion* restaurant open 5 nights a week for dinner (16 years and over only, a supplement of $25 BDS per person will apply). 4 bars including a late night bar that opens from 11.00pm – 1.00am. Afternoon tea is served daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Alpha Holidays Limited, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Savannah Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Savannah Beach Hotel Hastings
- Savannah Christ Church
- Savannah Hotel Christ Church
- Savannah Hotel Barbados
- Savannah Barbados
- Savannah Beach Hotel Barbados/Hastings