I had researched this hotel before booking and read the stories about the plantation wing . I emailed the hotel prior to arriving requesting NOT to have one of these rooms and also to mention that I was booking for a special occasion as it was my husbands 40th birthday on the day we arrived . So on arrival I was presented with the key to a plantation room because this is what I had booked . No where on my booking information did it state this so be careful as this may be a cheaper option for the tour operator. I just knew I was booked into the Savannah Beach and that was all .
I viewed the room which was dark , dingy, drab and depressing . My son had been placed in a bed in what was the entrance to the room , no balcony and a view into another room ! I immediately went to reception to request another room , only to be told there was none available . I was advised to see the rep in the morning . We went to Rachel's for food and waited 35 minutes for someone to take our drinks order . Granted it was the valentines day and very busy but after a long flight and the hassle of my room I was looking forward to a drink . After 15 minutes my husband went to the bar and got the drinks order . This was basically the order of the night , we stayed for starters and mains but got sick of waiting for sweets so left .
In the morning I was waiting for the virgin rep Linda who I must say is lovely and very helpful. I was practically in tears the thought of having to stay in such a dismal room . She assured me she would do everything she could to get my room changed but was told that this would be at an additional cost . We went to the beach to start enjoying our holiday and in the afternoon Linda came to see us to ask us to view a different room . It was a ground floor room in the main hotel and you could access the pool also . Lovely spacious room and a lot more inviting . Our luggage was moved by the porters so all very efficient .
From this point the holiday got significantly better . The food is nice , but improvements could be made to the variety .
My biggest gripe was the vip upgrade , we didn't take this option but you certainly knew about it. We would go to the bar and they would look at the colour of your wristband . Fancy cocktails with trimmings if you had the right colour , also couldn't get a bottled beer as this was also kept for the vips . We pointed this out on many occasions and they said they had ran out of bottles then five minutes later somebody would walk past with one . We even asked the manager at the management get together in the courtyard about this and we were told bottles were for ALL guests . I wish someone had told the staff that as it became very annoying , not what you expect when you pay nearly £4.5K for a holiday .
Whilst there we went on three of the virgin excursions .... The jeep safari , the catamaran trip and also the cave trip with the wildlife sanctuary . Loved the safari and the catamaran , not so much the caves , had to wait over an hour when we arrived to actually go in .
The hotel is lovely as long as you get put in the nice end . Its like a two star and four star combined and you will certainly know about it if you get put in the two star end. I personally think these rooms should be hospitality rooms only or for people just staying for one night before a cruise .
We seen the monkeys on a couple of occasions but we are early risers , there are also mongoose on the side where the road is . Some beautiful birds as well as lots of humming birds . I personally loved the beach at the front but had took beach shoes after reading the reviews , the water is so clear and we seen puffer and box fish .
To summarise after a shaky start we had a lovely holiday with just a few niggles . the majority of the staff are lovely and would like to say a special thanks to Tyrone, Darious and Gladstone who gave exceptionally friendly and efficient service and to Linda the virgin rep for making me smile .
Overall a lovely holiday on a beautiful island and yes I would return ..... only to the nice part though
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated near the historic Garrison Savannah on the pristine coastline of Barbados, Savannah Beach Hotel is a beachfront four-star resort that easily ranks as one of the most idyllic destinations on the island. It is a Caribbean paradise that simply must be experienced! Forget everything you’ve ever known or experienced about all-inclusive hotels… Savannah is distinctly different. It is an all-inclusive hotel with style! Dive in… Savannah is an excellent choice for a relaxed Caribbean holiday. You are just steps from the beach, ensuring a blissful holiday in the Caribbean sun. Spoilt for choice, there are 2 swimming pools, 1 that meanders through the garden courtyard and has a 4-storey waterfall, the other is located down by the beach. When it comes to family holidays, children and teens are extremely well catered for at this hotel, there is an extensive family entertainment centre (opening Easter ’12) to keep even the most energetic children entertained! For those romantic moments, why not go down to the beach for a moonlight romantic stroll before heading to the late night bar. Live entertainment 5 nights per week, including themed nights and floor shows. Weekly manager’s barbecue party. Three restaurants; the main restaurant has a twist on Caribbean gourmet dining, open for buffet breakfast, buffet lunch and dinner 7 days a week. The Beach restaurant and bar is open 7 days a week for lunch and 5 days a week for dinner serving a wide range of barbecue, pastas, grilled fish and burgers for lunch and in the evening a themed dinner including Mexican, Indian, Chinese as well as Caribbean cuisine. There is also an Asian fusion* restaurant open 5 nights a week for dinner (16 years and over only, a supplement of $25 BDS per person will apply). 4 bars including a late night bar that opens from 11.00pm – 1.00am. Afternoon tea is served daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L., Southall Travel, HotelQuickly, Travel Republic (UK) and Cancelon so you can book your Savannah Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Savannah Beach Hotel Hastings
- Savannah Christ Church
- Savannah Hotel Christ Church
- Savannah Hotel Barbados
- Savannah Barbados
- Savannah Beach Hotel Barbados/Hastings