“wonderful hotel,wonderful staff”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
Rye, United Kingdom
“wonderful hotel,wonderful staff”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Thank you to all at the Savannah for being so courteous and friendly. A special thx to Horace for sorting out the small problem we had with the plumbing with quick efficient proffesionalism and for of course upgrading us for free and sorting out my complimentary spa treatments. Things can always go wrong in every hotel from time to time and its how its dealt with thats more important and for this i give the Savannah 10*. Another mention must be to the lovely Paula, front of house manager, she is so friendly and she must hv at least 9 clones lol, as she seems to be everywhere.
The hotel itself is clean and spacious, we had a suite (328) and the views are stunning. Food is varied and of a good standard, oh and the cocktails are quite delish and addictive.
All in all i would definately go back to barbados and to this hotel!!! I hv no complaints only compliments to give to this hotel and its wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Suite 328 has an excellent ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Audreyhaff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just spent a week in this beautiful hotel. The grounds are stunning and the rooms, we had a deluxe pool access room, are amazing. The room was beautifully furnished and we had a lovely balcony with steps down to the meandering pool. All of the staff went out of their way to ensure you were looked after. Fantastic food both in Drifters beach restaurant and in Rachel's. Tony was generally the chef on duty at breakfast and he always had a friendly greeting for every guest. Fabian, one of the bartender's was just amazing, nothing was ever too much trouble. From start to finish the staff made this a memorable holiday.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms are lovely so nice to be able to come straight down into the pool from your room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rita H
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 weeks in May, and I have to say it was the best holiday we have ever had. From the moment we arrived till the time we left it was just the most wonderful experience.
We had booked a beach view king room with the club package through Virgin and when we entered the room and opened the french doors to the balcony we knew we had made the right choice.
We enjoyed eating at all the restaurants the quality and variety was second to none for an all inclusive hotel.
As part of the club package we really enjoyed the club deck - Jackie was always there with a smile offering to get you whatever you wanted, and those cold flannels to cool down were always gratefully received - it really made the holiday for us.
If you are looking for a totally relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings this is the place to go and hopefully we will be back there again soon to enjoy some more pampering in the beautiful Barbados sunshine.

Room Tip: We were in room 227 which was a beach front room which had great view across the pool to the beach a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kath1012013
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We went on holiday here last Summer (I've only just signed up to trip advisor today so sorry for the extremely late review!) through Virgin Holidays and we had a wonderful time. Through virgin it was rated 3* but I would say it would be more of a 4*. My reason behind this, is that the room we had was so much better than we thought it would be- athe pictures on virgins website made it look really basic - it wasn't! We had a dark wood 4 poster bed, flat screen tv and a stunning balcony with very comfortable furniture. The outside bar had a good menu for complimentary cocktails (which were served in coloured plastic glasses which is wasn't so sure about as I like a proper glass for a cocktail but this is just me!) and large wooden tables with candles overlooking the beach. Just a short walk along the beach front takes you to Carlisle bay which is absolutely stunning! A tip is to to avoid walking through the hilton just before it and instead walk along the road behind the savannah as it is quicker and easier to get to carlise bay by walking on the road instead of sand! The beach at this hotel was gorgeous and plenty of beds and if you wonder along the beach there's plenty of room to make it feel as though you are there alone. On,y downside is that there wasn't enough soya milk available and it was a big deal to go and get it from the kitchen, it was very annoying as I wanted to have a cup of tea or a coffee or have cereal for breakfast and couldn't as it was never there or it had even gone off when they finally bought it up! As you can imagine on holiday you want to start the day off by having your morning coffee and paper and relax so ended up going to coffee shop next door (very nice by the way), but irritating as we had paid for all inclusive and it's not my fault I'm allergic to milk! Apart from that tiny issue we will definitely be going back as a very positive experience and loved barbados.

Room Tip: Ask if it has flat screen tv and a balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emmacgriffiths
Hemsby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The service at this hotel is second to none.. We went last year, and even that I had an accident, an excellent time was had, so we returned, no broken bones this time and another very very good time.. Jackie on the decking looked after us no matter were we sat. All the staff at this hotel was great very pleasant. When we first arrived a rum drink was waiting for us, our room was ready and the checking went very smoothly, and our holiday was great.

Would like to thank all the staff at the Savannah hotel for a very enjoyable time.

Room Tip: We had room with two double bed and steps going down to pool,
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I had researched this hotel before booking and read the stories about the plantation wing . I emailed the hotel prior to arriving requesting NOT to have one of these rooms and also to mention that I was booking for a special occasion as it was my husbands 40th birthday on the day we arrived . So on arrival I was presented with the key to a plantation room because this is what I had booked . No where on my booking information did it state this so be careful as this may be a cheaper option for the tour operator. I just knew I was booked into the Savannah Beach and that was all .
I viewed the room which was dark , dingy, drab and depressing . My son had been placed in a bed in what was the entrance to the room , no balcony and a view into another room ! I immediately went to reception to request another room , only to be told there was none available . I was advised to see the rep in the morning . We went to Rachel's for food and waited 35 minutes for someone to take our drinks order . Granted it was the valentines day and very busy but after a long flight and the hassle of my room I was looking forward to a drink . After 15 minutes my husband went to the bar and got the drinks order . This was basically the order of the night , we stayed for starters and mains but got sick of waiting for sweets so left .
In the morning I was waiting for the virgin rep Linda who I must say is lovely and very helpful. I was practically in tears the thought of having to stay in such a dismal room . She assured me she would do everything she could to get my room changed but was told that this would be at an additional cost . We went to the beach to start enjoying our holiday and in the afternoon Linda came to see us to ask us to view a different room . It was a ground floor room in the main hotel and you could access the pool also . Lovely spacious room and a lot more inviting . Our luggage was moved by the porters so all very efficient .
From this point the holiday got significantly better . The food is nice , but improvements could be made to the variety .
My biggest gripe was the vip upgrade , we didn't take this option but you certainly knew about it. We would go to the bar and they would look at the colour of your wristband . Fancy cocktails with trimmings if you had the right colour , also couldn't get a bottled beer as this was also kept for the vips . We pointed this out on many occasions and they said they had ran out of bottles then five minutes later somebody would walk past with one . We even asked the manager at the management get together in the courtyard about this and we were told bottles were for ALL guests . I wish someone had told the staff that as it became very annoying , not what you expect when you pay nearly £4.5K for a holiday .
Whilst there we went on three of the virgin excursions .... The jeep safari , the catamaran trip and also the cave trip with the wildlife sanctuary . Loved the safari and the catamaran , not so much the caves , had to wait over an hour when we arrived to actually go in .
The hotel is lovely as long as you get put in the nice end . Its like a two star and four star combined and you will certainly know about it if you get put in the two star end. I personally think these rooms should be hospitality rooms only or for people just staying for one night before a cruise .
We seen the monkeys on a couple of occasions but we are early risers , there are also mongoose on the side where the road is . Some beautiful birds as well as lots of humming birds . I personally loved the beach at the front but had took beach shoes after reading the reviews , the water is so clear and we seen puffer and box fish .
To summarise after a shaky start we had a lovely holiday with just a few niggles . the majority of the staff are lovely and would like to say a special thanks to Tyrone, Darious and Gladstone who gave exceptionally friendly and efficient service and to Linda the virgin rep for making me smile .
Overall a lovely holiday on a beautiful island and yes I would return ..... only to the nice part though

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in the plantation end
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jones1106
SavannahManagement, Manager at Savannah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Jones1106,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your recent holiday with us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and niggles you experienced. It is always our intention to provide memorable and seamless experiences to each and every guests. We acknowledge the service standards you highlighted and intend to use this review as a development tool for our training.

We are happy to see that you had a glimpse of the monkeys and the other tropical animals while with us. Thank you for highlighting our staff, we will share your compliments with them. It is refreshing to learn that you will consider a return visit. We intend to use the second chance to ensure you receive the exceptional level of service that we pride ourselves on delivering daily.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We have just returned from this wonderful hotel and stayed here from 20th May for 2 weeks. The Savannah Beach Hotel is the smallest hotel we have stayed in but one that has the biggest heart. We usually go for the big resorts with 2 or 3 pools etc and loads of facilities but since we have stayed here we have realised you do not get the personal feel from such a big resort as there are lots of guests to cater for and we have now realised we have just been a 'number' in these places. From the moment you arrive all you can see is the side of the plantation house and you cannot see the majority of the hotel but once you walk down the steps to Chopstix you are met with a beautiful courtyard where the pool meanders its way through. The courtyard is lit up at night and you can drift away listening to the waterfall whilst enjoying a drink. The room we stayed in was 367 and had a lovely spacious balcony overlooking the pool and had an old colonial style to it. The staff are what makes this hotel a delight to stay in. From the reception staff who greet you on arrival to the cleaners they are so friendly. I would like to point out certain staff members but I can honestly say that every single staff member who we came into contact with made us feel like we were the only guests there. The food is absolutely amazing, you can eat in Rachel's which is a la carte and is outstanding or you can eat in Chopstix which is a noodle bar where the food is freshly cooked at the counter, again the food is superb and the service is wonderful. If you prefer to eat in a more relaxed atmosphere you can choose to eat in Drifters beach bar at the all you can eat buffet and once again the staff are fabulous here. The exectuive Chef Cecil works hard to provide such an impeccable service of food and we had the pleasure of meeting him personally as he invited our young son into the kitchen's for a visit to see how a hotel kitchen works as he wants to be a chef when he is older...Cecil surprised him with his very own Savannah Beach Chef Jacket embroidered with his name along with the apron and hat ! This is something our son will never forget and something I have never seen before in any other hotel. Tyrone generally greets you in a morning at breakfast and has impeccable manners and charm, he is a very professional guy but still allows his sense of humour to shine through. The bar manager is a wealth of knowledge and advise and we enjoyed many an evening sat at the bar whilst we waited for our table. Every evening at Drifters beach bar there is live music which is different each night. The staff here are fabulous and it shows how happy they are in their job as they join in dancing,singing etc as they work. Darius - we nicknamed him 'bouncy man' is hilarious, he is such a happy guy ! And Winston - you never see him out front at the bar etc as he is a kitchen worker but dances and dances away whilst he is working which is a joy to witness. S.I - a nickname for a lovely lady who served us in Chopstix along with another young lady whose name we didn't get unfortunately but both of them were so pleasant and made us feel like we had a personal service.
This hotel is rated as a 3.5* but for us we feel it should be 5* status.
Anthony the general manager clearly has this hotel running efficiently and smoothly with an air of character and charm and has the perfect blend that makes a holiday one to remember. On chatting to Anthony we were asked if we had any ideas to help provide a better experience or if there was anything at all they could help us with, this was fantastic to hear as it proves we are all important to them and literally nothing was too much to ask.
For the very first time in our family holiday history we have NO complaints or even any 'niggles' but I know that if we had the staff would have done everything in their power to put it right.
I would 100% recommend anyone to stay here as I have never experienced such outstanding service in any other hotel i've stayed in all over the world.
We are already planning for next year and it cannot come quick enough !
Thankyou to Anthony and the management team for providing a service you would only ever find in a 5* hotel and thanks must go to Cecil and his team for such amazing culinary delights !
But without the everyday hard work from each staff member working together to make everyone feel special the hotel would not be what it is so Thankyou to everyone - we are missing you all already.

Room Tip: Pool view/access rooms are supposed to be quieter than the plantation rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank samhayes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Hilton Barbados Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
#11 of 50 in Christ Church Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,937 reviews

Been to Savannah Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!