“Savannah Beach”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
Wirral
“Savannah Beach”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

You work hard all year, save hard all year then WHAM you get introduced to the Plantation Room. Jeez, these rooms are not fit for purpose. No outside space so were do you put your wet clothes and towels from beach to dry. Also we overlooked were the bins get noisily emptied at 5 o'clock in the morning. Plus you get the noise of the main road. After complaining we were moved the next day thanks to Trisha the operations manager at no extra charge even though we would have paid to move. Our new room was brill, poolside in the Emerald block. I am surprised that Virgin let their customers stay in these rooms.

The beach in front of the Hotel has a reef in front so is very rocky so you need the beach shoes to walk out. But you can walk left or right for five to ten minutes were there is no reef so you can walk out and swim properly. You do not even have to get up early for beds as there are plenty.

Chopsticks noodle bar is the best place to eat in the hotel but is not open every day. The food is really tasty and cooked freshly in front of you

There is a good selection in Rachel's were you go for your breakfast. Omelettes, fried / poached / boiled eggs all cooked in front of you. Cereals , toast, jams , croissant etc. Rachel's is were you go for the A la Carte dining which is good also.

Drifters is the Beach / Pool bar were you eat every dinner time and some evenings all buffet style. Dinner time you get Burgers, Pizzas, Tacos, fries. All desserts were very good across the hotel. Birds are a pain, if you both had your food on the table you both couldn't move and leave the table as the birds would take your food.

Entertainment poor only saw three good acts in two weeks

This Hotel ideal to see the turtles nest which we seen and also hatch which we missed.

Staff very friendly and helpful couldn't praise them enough. Espically the management who sorted my room out. We had a great time once we settled into our new room.

Don't book this holiday early as you pay top price as I found out . If you can hang on till about 2 months before you go you can save a fortune

Room Tip: Avoid Plantation Rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CJ13Wirral

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is mediocre at best.The staff was friendly and courteous.However here are my noted deficiencies.Upon arrival of the four rooms in my party only one recieved the welcome package of 400$ Barbados dollars with the remaining rooms recieving it after the sixth day.The food options are very limited and many lacking taste or appeal.There is minimal activities.The bar closes too early.The beach was unusable due to seaweed that could have at least been racked from the sand. Due to my early a.m. check out I did an early checkout late the prior night on the premise I would drop my key off as I exited to come to my room to realize my key was unactivated...Once entry was made to my room I entered a room that was not cleaned even though technically my room was paid for until 12pm the next day.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Nadine H
SavannahManagement, Manager at Savannah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Nadine H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We sincerely apologize that certain aspects of your holiday were unfavorable to you. Once it was brought to our attention that members of your party were missing Barbados Island Incentive (BII) 2014 vouchers, we feverishly contacted the Barbados Tourism Authority to address this matter urgently. As you were aware, the BII 2014 program which is geared towards select travelers who book holidays and visit the island at specified times, is solely controlled and organized by the Tourism Authority without any input from the hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel does not play any active role in the selection or allocation process other than issuing the vouchers to the assigned guests upon arrival. However, we regret the delay they experienced in getting the vouchers to you despite our repeated efforts for them to accelerate the delivery and will share your sentiments with the agency.

We have noted your dissatisfaction of the food choices and will work with our culinary team to see if we may offer additional variations to the daily lunch options, in addition to analyzing our nightly international themed evenings which feature A La Carte dining options and buffets from the Caribbean, Italy and Mediterranean to name a few.

Although disheartened to read your review, we appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience. Once again we apologize for any inconvenience experienced and truly hope that you will allow us another opportunity to deliver the exceptional level of service that we thrive on delivering daily.
wales, united kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

where do I start firstly our flight out with virgin was very good! we stayed at Savannah 17th-28th July 14, in room 264 a deluxe pool access room. On arriving at the hotel we were welcomed with a rum punch and info about our hotel. Our room was lovely, clean etc. with beach towels provided.
The food at drifters was sometimes hit and miss on certain times but there is definetly something there for everyone and if not they'll cook something for you, lunch time was very good and we found all of the staff helpful and always had a smile and took time to ask if everything was ok, I suppose they respond to people who are friendly to them they may be there to serve us on our hols but at the end of the day their doing their jobs same as we do when back home!
when we were there it was pretty quiet but as the week went on it did get fuller as school hols started, think then they could do with a bigger pool lol but the pool bar was great and David was excellent when we rang the bell ( Hope he got the tip we left him he really deserved it )
the other parts of the pool was also great for the kids as its not too deep.
entertainment was good in the evenings with great singers/shows.
only I small comment I would make would be to get more glasses at evening as its nice to have a drink in a glass not a plastic beaker but its no biggy!
Chopsticks & Rachels were very good and thanks to Alicia in chopsticks she gave good service and was lovely she never passed us also I cant remember her name but she was a blonde welsh lady who served lunch time at drifters she was also very attentive and lovely (sorry I cant remember her name) but there wasn't a member of staff that we passed that didn't ask how we were doing! big thanks to Jackie at the kids club she made my sons holiday and Heather the Virgin Rep was also very helpful and friendly she'll tell u anything u need to know.
yes the sea is coral but you can get in with pool shoes or try the other beaches that the hotel gives a free shuttle too, the Boat Yard is a short bus ride away you pay 40 barbadian dollars but that gives you entry to one of the best beaches I've seen and we've travelled to many destinations along with food/drinks etc all included in the price well worth it. and you can swim with the turtles which was incredible!
lastly we met such lovely people holidaying there as well that it made our holiday one of the best ever will definetly be returning for some sun, sea and some chilled Barbados time!!
Well done Savannah Beach hotel & staff a big thank you from us wish we were with you now.

2 Thank lady680
london.uk
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I meant to write this when I came back from my 4th visit earlier this year. This hotel is excellent the manageress Tricia has done a really good job with improvements and tweeks to an already lovely hotel.

As a single woman I always feel comfy coming back here, I dont usually go on holiday to the same place but have made an exception here. The entertainment is really good I loved the Bajan night and also the band whose name I dont remember but they were guitar based... great.

I was upgraded to the VIP deck and served drinks by the lovely staff I also had a complimentary dinner at the Sugar Cane Club.

A tip the hotel runs a shuttle to Carlisle Bay go snorkelling with Neville he is brilliant !!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank suzhLondon_uk
Westbrook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is a little gem and i am almost loathe to write this as we would rather keep it as our little secret......1st stay was amazing....... 2nd stay ??? Well, we are back for a 3rd time at Xmas !!! Why do we keep coming back ??!!!! It is just a little piece of paradise made that little bit more special by the staff... They are absolutely amazing. We have stayed 5 star and it is not a patch on the friendliness, the welcome (even better as returning guests), the banter and the smiles..... Nothing is too much trouble from the room staff through to top management. They are always there, wanting to make your holiday better. The food is fresh, plentiful with good variety and a la carte and now Chopsticks (which wasn't an option on our first visit)..... Breakfast is fantastic with an array of choice - eggs any and every way you can imagine ! WE can't praise this place enough. We would definately recommend taking sea shoes - on our second visit this made it possible to walk out to the surf and have hours of fun in the waves. Although, 2 minutes to the left of the deck and 5 minutes to the right you can walk in the sea with no coral.... Hilton beach is a must !!!

The hotel itself is lovely. Yes, the bathrooms are a little tired. However, they are keep very clean, the showers are good and the soaps etc are kept filled on a daily basis. We were spoilt on this visit by a cheeky upgrade to Club !! Definately recommend ! the sunloungers are bliss :-)

The kids club is great - CarolAnn does a fab job and our daughter had a great time. Also, whilst a lot of people dressed up for dinner, unlike other hotels we have stayed in in Barbados, men can wear shorts at night. Another bonus !!!

All in all, we love the Savannah Beach and can't wait to see you all at Xmas !!!! THANK YOU and it is a testament to the staff and management that we choose to keep coming back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank RBJK
Ixworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We went to the savannah beach hotel for our first holiday in the Caribbean and were just blown away.
We chose the hotel due to the high rating on trip advisor and from the moment we arrived were immersed in the Bajan way of life.
The hotel itself is just lovely, from the waterfall and coloured lighting at night to the 2 pools and poolside bar.
The whole of Barbados is beautiful and I heartily recommend a trip on Fridays to Oistins in the evening to chill and party.
Back to the hotel!
Food:
Rachel's restaurant is nice, a bit limited with the selections but everything is freshly cooked and breakfast there in the morning was fantastic - my son discovered the waffle maker on the first day and he and the waffle chef got to know each other very well!
Chopstix was a little limited and not as good as some of the Chinese restaurants over here in the UK but bearing in mind the hotel is covering 3 different types of eating experience, no complaints from here as the food was cooked very well.
Drifters was fine as long as you did not expect haute cuisine on the finest china, food was varied and very nice, again freshly cooked.
The kids club was excellent, the lady in charge actively sought the children out and knew them all by name very quickly, they even organised a football match between guests' children and a local football team which worked really well as my son made some great friends.
Staff were on the whole, very friendly and helpful, however I do recognise the comments of some other travellers about some staff being less communicative but I would not call them surly, it seems some are just more friendly than others - one barman made my son a vanilla milkshake at Drifters, while another said they did not make these, only strawberry.
Room was always very clean, our cleaner arranged my sons Pluto stuffed toys every day on the bed and spent quite some time tidying up and cleaning for us. TV was occasionally on and channels were just background noise really but we managed to catch up on news and sport (we now know who Lebron James is and are delighted he has returned to Cleveland ;) ).
Beach was ok, although we stayed in the pool area as my son liked this area best and it was easier to keep an eye on him.
Our Virgin rep was very nice and got us to think about the Bajan relaxed way of doing things rapidly. Well as rapidly as anyone on Barbados does anything!
We went swimming with turtles and had a whale of a time, loads of them very close up, and would also recommend Tiami as great fun and very friendly and chatty.
Buses? Choose a reggae bus, much more fun, if anyone knows what the actual routes for these buses are, then let me know, they all seemed to be going wherever I wanted.
We are already planning to return, maybe at christmas as we enjoyed it so much.
Awesome.

Room Tip: Email the hotel before you arrive, they are more than willing to accommodate any requests if they ca...
3 Thank Jonathan H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Have just returned from 10 days at the Savannah Beach Hotel with my partner and our 2 year old daughter. Was a bit worried what to expect, as the price was very reasonable. From the moment we got there to the day we left we had a fantastic time. The staff were great and would go out of their way to ensure you had a good time. The hotel has three restaurants which cater for all needs, ie, Chinese, A La Carte and a Buffet style restaurant. The evening entertainment was good however could have been improved slightly. Over all can not think of anything bad to say, and have already booked again for November.

Room Tip: Pool rooms are great, but not if you have young children.
3 Thank Mark W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Hilton Barbados Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
#11 of 50 in Christ Church Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,942 reviews

Been to Savannah Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!