“Location, location, location”

Southern Palms
London, United Kingdom
“Location, location, location”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Another return visit to the Southern Palms hotel - average rooms, bathrooms and decor, BUT the most amazing views over one of the nicest beaches in Barbados. Edric as welcoming as ever. The beach outside the hotel never feels crowded, even during the day you can find a lovely spot to sit. The hotel has a lovely peaceful feel to it. It is well located, you can safely walk to lots of local restaurants. So many of the barbados resorts are in areas where you cannot just easily go out, particularly after dark.

Every year we consider looking for somewhere more fancy, but every time come back to southern Palms as hotels with this location, an informal style and a friendly welcome like this are like gold dust!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cc1047

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

A return visit to Southern Palms in December 2013. Our 9 or 10th visit i can't remember, but it is always wonderful. We flew with Thomas Cook and the flight crew were fabulous, helped make the start of our journey very pleasant, so much so that on our return we met one of the flight attendants in the airport and they ran over to say hello and enquire about our holiday. On arrival at SP we were greeted by the massive smile of Edric, who also gave us a Happy Christmas song on our departure, he is such a lovely chap (we promise to pack a little less next time Edric and keep the cases lighter - maybe!), then of course the ladies on Reception, it really is like seeing an old friend or relative, if holidays and travel are meant to relax you then this one certainly did. My favourite parts of the holiday include lunch at Tappas, evening meal at Cafe Lunar and of course Oistins. I love the racing at the Garrison, in fact we plan our holiday to ensure there is a meeting in the middle of the stay. Evening drinks at Pablo Dante in the Chattel Village is a fabulous end to a holiday evening. We love to sit out in the open as late as we can and look at the stars, not something we get to do very often at home.
Thank you to Britta who runs a lovely and friendly hotel, hope to see you all again in 2014.

Room Tip: All rooms are situated well, it depends what you prefer but always worth a look on the SP website to...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SusieCottonSocks
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed at Southern Palms during my very first visit to Barbados in the late 70's and decided to return with my family for at least part of my most recent visit in December of 2013. I was very happy to see that it was still there and very much as I had remembered it. There are many more dining and nightlife opportunities at the Gap today than there were in the late 70's.

As I did then, I loved the location of the informal restaurant/bar directly on the ocean, and the food was very good. I highly recommend the steel band on Sunday afternoons. That was a beautiful experience. As a very good dining alternative, guests can cross the street and take advantage of some very good options, but somehow I felt that the hotel did not want guests to know that as they often recommended restaurants much further away and much less convenient.

Quite honestly, I found the modern rooms in the section to the right side (as you look from the ocean) to be somewhat small and without adequate cross-ventilation, even though they did directly face the ocean. I wonder whether the older section of the hotel had larger rooms that did not depend on a/c, which my wife cannot tolerate. For the price of the modern rooms, the provision of a portable fan would have been nice, even if the installation of ceiling fans might be impractical and expensive for the owners. Also, at the price of these rooms, I was surprised that no coffeemakers were provided. I realize that the hotel caters to mostly British clientele, but, at this price, we Americans expect at least a tiny 4-cup coffeemaker in our room. Ordering from the hotel restaurant was awkward and inconvenient, and the little coffee bar across the street, while quite welcome, was closed until 9 or 10.

If I returned to Southern Palms, I would most definitely explore alternatives to the more modern rooms. When I stayed in the 70's, I remember staying in a very large suite with several windows in an older, more traditional section. It was a slower, summer season, and they probably spoiled me rotten back then.

Another issue was the beach. I was promptly kicked out of the water by the somewhat rude lifeguards at the public beach next door on the basis that the water was too rough. Spending many visits to Barbados at the Crane, further to the east in St. Philips, the water was no threat at all to me. By forcing me onto the public beach, I was expected to pay for a beach chair, which I thought was outrageous, considering what I was paying to stay at the hotel. Also, the surfers and boogie boarders in front of Southern Palms were extremely aggressive and didn't seem to care if they smashed into other swimmers or much about anything else. Management didn't seem to care either because these guys were given free reign and allowed to take over the waters in front of the hotel. There was also an insufficient supply of beach chairs and lounges.

In all fairness, having come from the Crane in St. Philips, I did not find the staff at Southern Palms to be anywhere nearly as accommodating. I am no "prima donna", but, overall, the staff at the Crane was much more friendly and professional. The beach at the Crane, although with stronger surf, was much less restrictive, less crowded, and more hassel-free. That is my honest opinion.

I would like to return to Southern Palms, but I will definitely explore different room arrangements, even though they might be beyond my budget.

Room Tip: As mentioned above, if I return to Southern Palms, I would pursue rooms in the older, more tradition...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank simon349
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We returned from Southern Palms one week ago today having had a wonderful 14 night stay, this was our 9th time and our second this year. flew Thomas Cook via St Lucia, excellent flights with first class crew. The hotel for us is perfect with a wonderful welcoming and helpful staff. Beach is the best with some palm trees for shade or speak to Rodney who will sort you out a beach umbrella, meet & greet in SP on Monday evenings try the rum punch, Rooms for us, its in Banyan with a pool view, (see attached photo). eating out: "the world is your lobster", eat cheap no problem, try Scotties, great local food. eat up market, (average for 4 with drinks and wine £20-25 per head). lunch or dinner @ Tapas 5str, dinner @ Naru 5str knock out, dinner @ Cafe Luna 5str knock out (our first time) excellent service, food superb, Brown Sugar try the buffet on Sunday, suggest you book, Harlequin excellent food , Crave excellent food (next to Reggae Lounge), Apsara (aka Josefs) disapointed, service was very slow, Sweet Potato, Steakhouse across from SP, also try their cocktails and say Hi to Barbara and Sonia, if you dont want to B'fast in SP try Happy Days just across the road, NOT forgetting Oistins on a friday, our if you want less lively try during the week, just as good. Sadly Pisces was not open as in the middle of a major refurb, but hopefully back up and running by March 2014. Need a taxi ask for Roger just outside SP, he's the man, Do have a early evening drinks in the Dover Beach square opposite the cricket pitch and buy your Bajan shirts from Richard, Do go during your stay, if on to Garrison Savannah for the horse racing, a brilliant afternoon, Hire a car and do visit the island there some lovely places to see, Huntes Gardens, Flower Caves, Cattle Wash on the wild East coast and so forth. Thank you to Southern Palms and to the Bajan people for making our holidays with you such memorable ones, Cheers and heres to our next visit soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank david f f
Bradford
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Having just returned from our first time at Southern Palms we are booking again for next year already. Beautiful white sandy beach and turquoise sea made our holiday just perfect. The beach is arguably one of the best on the island.
Our suite was spacious, comfortable, clean and just what we expected. The daily domestic service was very good. The sea view from our terrace was amazing!!
We stayed for bed and breakfast which we found to be very good. With plenty of choice from traditional Bajan to continental. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff in the restaurant. We had the occasional meal in the bar/restaurant through the day which we found to be quite expensive with no varied choice. However, there were plenty of reasonably priced places to eat within walking distance on St Lawrence Gap. We found the entertainment within the hotel was targeted towards a certain age group - not really catering for the younger guest.
Staff at Southern Palms are all very friendly and helpful and will do everything they can to make your stay memorable.
We can't wait to visit again in 2014.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Philippa N
UK
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We have just recently returned form a 12 night stay at the hotel, and like many of the guests at the hotel we are 'repeat' visitors, who go to this hotel for the location, peace and friendly staff. The hotel is situated right on the beach in a perfect location, with loungers on the beach, by the pool or in the gardens. The hotel has a large frontage and is made up of a number of buildings. In fairness some of the rooms could do with modernisation, as they are beginning to look tired, but the majority of the people staying at the hotel know this and accept as part and parcel of the hotel.

We ate lunch in the restaurant which as usual is very good and always served piping hot, but I agree with an earlier reviewer the hotel do nothing to encourage people to eat their evening meal in the main restaurant. You would think having happy hour from 6-7pm they would try and encourage the guests to eat in their restaurant rather than going out into the Gap or further afield.

The staff were always on hand and very helpful, which helps to make staying at this hotel very relaxing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Go for an Ocean View room in the Carlisle Block.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank garye
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

just back from an enjoyable stay at the southern palms. impressed with ocean view room, toilet a bit tired, needing a bit of work. beach fantastic. staff very friendly. manager's rum punch night on Monday lets you meet other guests.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Infinity on the Beach
Beach View
Beach View
#1 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Southern Palms? Share your experiences!