“Good for the price”

Meridian Inn
Chaguanas, Trinidad
“Good for the price”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Decent as far as apartments go. All the main amenities and good maid service. Loved the location most of all. I had a problem with my knee at the time so it was difficult climbing the stairs but I guess next time I won't stay in the penthouse! Also there was never anyone in the office who could give me the wifi password. I did not get the password until the day I left.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Nabihah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Arrived at the airport late and stayed here. Phoned the owner and were given simple instructions to access our room. Room was perfectly fine and the location is great. Close to the beach, bars, restaurants and street food of St Lawrence Gap. Great value and excellent staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew M
brooklyn
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Meridian Inn, August 2011. It was a wonderful trip. The owner went out of his way to accommodate us. The rooms were bright, lively and spacious. The balcony was also awesome...And the bed was comfortable too...Also, the area is close to all of the action...night life, beaches, malls, etc, since it is in St. Lawrence Gap..Love this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank islandtraveller27
Dunmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed at the Meridian Inn for three weeks in August 2011. We set up a cab ride ($20.00) from the airport when we booked our room. We arrived around 0100 because of a delayed flight. The cab driver got us our key, which was a little weird, because the front office closes early evening.
The location is good you have a little store about 100 yards away. Dover Beach is about 50 yards away. The hotel is located at the bottom of the Gap which is a long strip of restaurants, bars and some clubs. If you are going to walk the Gap or most streets the peddlers will try to sell you their products (To include drugs especially if you are younger and smoke cigarettes). Generally if you tell the peddlers you are not interested they don't bother you.
The room was basic. It is what we expected for the price. The housekeeping came around every day so we always had what we needed. The kitchen had all you would need to eat in every day since the food in Barbados is about twice as much as the US(If you are out and see a long line waiting behind a van or car stop and grab some food it is probably the cheapest you will find on the island, thats why the locals are eating there.). There is a micro fridge, toaster, microwave, and two burner cook top. There were plenty of dishes and silverware for two people. The wifi in the room worked 97% of the time only going out a couple of nights and it was included in the price. Plenty of dresser and storage space for clothing and bags. The air-conditioning looked to be new and worked good in room #9 were we staid, although the ceiling fan was taped together and quit on us after two days. We didn't see any critters or signs of them. The community phone was located outside our room so we got to hear a lot of conversations. We went to the laundry mat because we found it cheaper than having the staff do it for us.The only thing i felt could have been updated were the mattresses and the tv could have been bigger. when you are there for three weeks you do watch some tv. There was no alarm clock in the room either.
There is a parking lot for the guest to use. We rented a car for two of the weeks we were there. We paid about $250/wk with gps(a must no streets are marked). We went to a lot of beaches on the west coast. Some of the nicest beaches were Paynes Bay and Heron Bay. They were the quietest and nicest. Dover Beach which is located right outside the hotel was nice until there was a freak seaweed take over. This is not common from what some of the locals told us. Turtle tours are a must. We went through Adventure Land Tours. They were the best price and we were at the same spots as the more expensive cateran tours. I would do the private tour and only go out and swim with the turtles. The shipwreck was not to impressive. We swam with lots of turtles thanks to the great guide we had.
All and all Barbados is a place we will go back to after exploring other islands. We will defiantly stay at the Meridian Inn again. It was a good beach vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JANGE-Travelers
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I was not very happy with the accommodations at all here. We paid $US 99.00 per night for three nights and were very disappointed with the room. The bathroom sink was totally stopped up and you could not even brush your teeth without the sink filling up rapidly. It would take forever to drain. The shower head had little or no pressure so you literally hand to stand there while the "dribble" came out of the head. It took forever to shower and rinse off.

The pillows that were on our bed were horrid. They were like hard 'sofa/couch' pillows with a pillow case over them. Very hard and not at all comfortable. We had to ask if we could get regular pillows after the first day there (there is no staff at night so we were unable to get real pillows on our first night there.) Once I asked for a regular type of soft pillow, they were promptly delivered, but why not just provide proper pillows to begin with?

I did not like that the staff were not there round the clock. They leave at noon sometimes and do not return. They are always gone by 5pm, so if you need something after hours you must call someone to come back to the apartment. I also did not like the 'simple latches' that were on the balcony door. I did not feel secure about that.

The room was clean, the beds were ok. We did have a microwave and fridge in the room, and there is a nice market up the street, also the Dover Beach hotel next door has a decent breakfast. The place is very close to a beach, so that was also a good feature.

I don' think I'd stay here again though. It was definitely not worth 99.00US per night.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank SpoonerA
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My friend and I spent our vacation there it was wonderful. All I can say if you want some where that feels like home and you are working with a budget this is the place. There is this lovely lady call Michelle very pleasant and she will respond to your bookings in a quick and timely fashion, the housekeeping wonderful service very pleasant. They even arrange car rental for you quick service. This is the place to be I would stay here again this is my first experience staying at a hotel and I will do it again. I LOVE IT

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anthonyamc
Diego Martin, Trinidad
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I just read someone else's review that said this is not a hotel, it's a studio apartment. That's spot-on. If that's your expectation you'll love the place. If you're expecting a hotel, you'll be disappointed.
The rooms are clean, and comfortable, the tv and showers work. There's a small functional kitchenette. What the place lacks are - in-room phones (the office has to use a buzzer to call you if they need one), alarm clocks, but I guess who needs an alarm or wakeup call if you're on vacation, a proper reception - office hours are 8.30 - 5.00pm, which means if you check-in late nobody may meet you, and this also makes it difficult for people to come and meet you after 5, as they can't call your room.
While the service is friendly enough, there are lots of unfriendly signs like "Don't take our towels to the Beach!", "Please don't use Aloe Vera in our beds", "Please dust the sand off your feet etc etc." While understand what these signs are saying, the messages are very unfriendly and off-putting.
But if you get past that, you can have a nice stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Infinity on the Beach
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#2 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Meridian Inn? Share your experiences!