“Cheap and cheerful”

Rio Guest House
London, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Had a great time at Rio when I was there in June. It's very basic but clean and run by lovely people. The balcony is a great place to hang out and it couldn't be more convenient for getting to the beach. Definitely the best option for backpackers in Bridgetown.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clare B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We were stayed here for 1 week in June 2013.
We'd booked the studio room for three of us, and for the price we were paying we weren't expecting much. When we arrived we were greeted by the very friendly owner Dennis, who took payment, and showed us too our room.

The room was a decent size, and they'd added an extra bed to accommodate the third person. It was clean and comfortable. The room was cleaned most days, and we had our sheets and towels changed twice during our stay
We had asked for air con, which cost $5BDS for 6 hours ($2.5US), which seemed like pretty good value. I would recommend the aircon, as the fan in the room wasn't very efficient.

The only downside to the room was some of the noise outside - cockerel and builders starting early in the morning.

Nothing was too much trouble. They where happy to help with providing local information, and they let us use the phone and stored our bags for us after we checked out on our last day.

The location is excellent, just off St Lawrence Gap, which is packed with restaurants and bars, and we were only 5 min walk from the beach.

A very enjoyable week, made only better by Rio Guesthouse.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed at Rio on three different occasions over the years. Great place, cheap if you are able to share a double room. Very basic, but kept clean. There is a very nice beach right across the street, and you are located on a quite street just off of the main bar street.

Room Tip: double room with private washroom if there are two of you.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AndrewLegere
Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Met some really amazing people during my stay here. Staff was lovely, had no problems. Beautiful Dover Beach just right around the corner. Basic accommodations, but more than good enough for people who are looking to enjoy the island and just have a place to rest their head at the end of the day.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dee S
Le Francois, Martinique
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Checking in was super easy, and the housekeeper was friendly and totally chill. Upstairs single room was nice and breezy with 2 windows and a ceiling fan. Classic wood floor and ceiling. Common balcony right outside my room, common kitchen and lounge downstairs. The beach is right there. It's basically on the St. Lawrence Gap 'strip', so you can eat, drink, and party all you want. ZERO complaints, I stayed 4 nights, and wished I could have stayed longer. I paid with my card because the ATMs didn't want to spit out enough cash that day, but there was no problem. There was a 4% charge, which appears to be standard practice in smaller establishments in the caribbean. It added 3$ US to the total, no big deal. If I return to Barbados, this is where I will stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I just returned from a stay in Barbados at the Rio Guest House. (April 29-May 5 inclusive).

There is something you should know.

When my son and I arrived on April 29th, the desk person was very belligerent when I asked to pay with credit card. She huffed and complained first it was too difficult to transact, then that "I already have too many many credit card receipts."

After she rang in the bill, she told me she had added 4%, then tried to convince me it was usual. When I balked she started swearing and ranting. I asked her to reverse it and first she said she couldn't. Then when I insisted, she said, "ok, that will be another 4%." I was going to leave, but my son took me aside and asked me to reconsider. It was pouring rain, and we had heavy luggage and he didn't want to look for another hotel. He said why not pay and get recourse from Mastercard later. (We can't).

My son had to ask the woman to be quiet because she continued ranting and swearing while we were trying to talk.

This is a terrible way to run a guesthouse. Later, when I looked for the bill which I left lying on a desk in the room, it disappeared.

Really, no site should be advertising a place like this.

Diane Tucker

Toronto Canada

Room Tip: Room 1 on main floor was like a sauna. Room was only cleaned once during stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank ImaKey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed here based on previous reviews and they were all spot on. I had a twin room to myself in one of the annexes, with three other rooms occupied and a lounge, kitchen and two bathrooms to share. Warm and helpful service from the people running the guest house, superb location minutes from the beach and all shops and restaurants made this a perfect choice. The perfect place for a budget traveller.

As a bonus for solo travellers, the balcony is the perfect place to meet other travellers and start an evening with a cold beer or two. The fact that it closes at 10pm meant that nothing got out of hand, just a good place to meet people and start an evening. I met solo travellers, couples and groups at Rio and had an excellent 4 days!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Infinity on the Beach
The Palm Garden Hotel
The Palm Garden Hotel
#3 of 3 in Worthing

Been to Rio Guest House? Share your experiences!