“Dennis made our stay!! Thank you!!”
Review of Rio Guest House

Rio Guest House
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I am quite impressed with this place. The rate is pretty cheap and we received great service especially from Dennis. He was very informative and charming. There were hardly any dogs barking. It was always peaceful. The St Lawrence Gap is not too far from Rio's literally a 10 minute walk. Every night had music, food, people, it was just amazing. On the Friday night we went to Oistins to try something different, and ofcourse we had a ball! I am looking forward to my return trip to Barbados sooon!! :) I loved it, You would too!! Hope you remember us: The four ladies from St. Lucia!

Room Tip: Higher Floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lynn C

Reviewed 8 April 2014

As a place to stay for 1 or 2 nights (max.) to save some bucks, it is OK especially if you take a larger room ... but the bloody dogs yelping, crying, barking, fighting constantly is enough to drive you batty, plus those GD roosters never stop all trough the night. The house is in the middle of a more residential area so you won't get the sounds of the ocean. The single rooms are smaller than a typical jail cell but not as nicely decorated and WITHOUT the luxury of your own toilet and sink ... jail cell would be an upgrade including more space.

Couldn't get the common area TV to work. Radio in the first floor common area was blaring all day until like 9 pm, quite audible in the rooms upstairs, plus radio or TV from elsewhere (adjoining apartment or another house).

Anything longer than a night (solo or couple), I recommend getting a proper hotel or guest house that is not cheesy (cheap) décor and without all the local animal calls nearby.

Room Tip: Seems to be less animal noise on the north (Divi Southwinds resort) side.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Holy_Innocent
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Not pretty, but cheap, clean, safe and awesome location. 30 seconds from beach. You wont spend too long in the room, its a bit cramped and dark, but your in Barbados, why would you?! Typical well run guesthouse.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The best thing about this guesthouse was leaving. Small room, which was the size of a large cupboard, and also a very basic room. The towels were not changed at all during 3 days, and the room not cleaned. Even the rubbish bin was not emptied. The guesthouse and rooms also had a musty, old smell, not sure what it was but it was not pleasant. Furniture is old and also very basic and the whole property needs a good clean and repaint.

One thing that I did not realize is that the room did not have a private bathroom. The public bathroom was not cleaned enough, and had shampoo bottles, lotions etc. left over from previous guests. These were not removed during my stay. The shower also needed a good clean too. So overall, the guesthouse has the feel of a doss house, and it is not the sort of place that will make your holiday.

Internet was also extremely slow too. Despite the price of this accommodation, there is no way that I would book it again, or even recommend that anybody books it. The best part was leaving!!

Room Tip: best advice would be to book somewhere else, even if it costs more.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank centraltraveller
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Clean,basic and very close to beach and eateries. You wake up to the cockerel and the sound of the waves lapping against the shore and lulled to sleep to the sound of whistling tree frogs Nice hard bed. Kitchen is big and spacious to cook in. Ideal if you are travelling alone, as it's a great way to meet other solo travellers who gather on the balcony for an evening social. Paula and Dennis helpful and informative. Only criticism are the cushions on the balcony sofas (a bit tatty) and the curtains in the rooms (dated).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The vybe at Rio was relaxing. I love the name :-) coming from St.Lucia it felt like a home away from home. Stayed in a single bed shared accommodation, I bought my food to cook and ate it. The location is perfect!!!!!! All the good I heard about Rio is true. Had my cereal in the morning , I swear when I'm comin. Back to Barbados It will definitely be my place of choice .... Unbeatable price:-) and I loved that very much. I was also able to meet a few people from different countries very briefly. There were no Mosquitos.... Odd ... Gave me the impression that Barbados didn't have Mosquitos.....???? Is that even correct. Anyway Dennis and Paula were really friendly. Dennis is an 'irie man' stayed there from 18th left of the 20th of November 2013. I would highly recommend it for the budget traveller. Only thing the batteries on the safe needs to be replaced ....I asked and that was done ...security wise the area appeared really safe. Loved it. Will return. U.Rosemond

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was my 3rd time staying at the Rio and as always I met the best people and enjoyed my stay.
I am a single but I book a double room so I can enjoy my own shower and toilet. Well worth the price!
The bed was huge though it's not that comfortable (hard) but listen...if you remember falling asleep then we are not on the same kind of vacation! There are happy hours to be had!
Guest house managers Paula and Dennis are so kind and accommodating. Going out of their way to help get towels or run the air conditioning. (Or beer supply) Superb!
This most recent trip I stayed in Room 9 which has a big closet! It's like Dennis saw my suitcases and new I needed space lol

The Rio isn't fancy but it is functional. Also if you are travelling alone you can always meet people from all over the world who are visiting as well.

• Stayed: November 2013
Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Rostrevor Hotel
Rostrevor Hotel
#5 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Rio Guest House? Share your experiences!