You read reviews on trip advisor and sometimes you look at them and think 'this is too good to be true'. Well some of them probably are, but having stayed at the 02 for 2 weeks over Easter I can confirm that its ratings are, on he whole, deserved.
Whenever I review a holiday hotel I tend to take a bit of time and break it down so apologies if this is a bit long but here we go....
Room - there are three of us - me, my wife and my 12 year old daughter and we were self catering. We booked a 1 bedroom sea view suite. The room is literally faultless. Large, very clean, new furniture, spotless kitchen, comfy beds, superb balcony and cleaned to a very high standard every day. We stayed in room 709 and I would recommend it.
The hotel - small and cosy but a reasonable size for a boutique hotel. We were dissapointed by the pool, it was much smaller than we expected and if you are the type of family that spend your whole day by the pool, you need to think about that but on the flip side, its ideal for toddlers and small children. Sun beds were huge and comfy and everything was new and spotless. Pool bar is small but excellent - the staff, Charles, Darrien and particularly Robyn were exceptional and a credit to the hotel. The front desk were always friendly, smiling and cheerful and the inside bar was fine but we never really used it. In fact every member of staff we met was an absolute credit to the hotel and probably took this review from a 4 * to a 5* review.
Restaurant - we were self catering but we ate lunch and breakfast here a couple of times. The food is fine and service is friendly but so very slow. One morning we asked for a coffee refill 4 times over a 20 minute period. One thing I must mention is an experience we had on the last day. I ordered a fish sandwich and it arrived undercooked. This can happen anywhere but I judge service on how an issue is resolved not on it happening. The way it was handled was faultless and it is too the restaurant managers great credit that I left more impressed than I went in, despite being served some pretty bad food !!!
Beach - this was one of our big disapointments. The hotels beach team are great and the beach itself was fine but the sea was very choppy which on its own isnt a problem, but this coupled with a rocky / stony first 30 yards in is not a pleasant experience. However, walk down 50 yards and go round the headland and there is a sandier beach but you have the drawback of having to pay for sunbeds. In fact every beach in Barbados was a little dissapointing and not quite what I expected but maybe thats just me spoiled by my last 2 holidays being in Thailand !!
I have two other criticisms which are minor but I want to point out. The hotel has two lifts and 1 was out of order he two weeks we were there. We were notified by the hotel and they apologised but we spent at least 20 mins a day waiting for lifts which is far from ideal. Apparently the hotel was waiting for a part from the US but can I suggest that the hotel owners hold OTIS feet to the fire on this next time, as it was a real pain. Secondly there a few guys hanging round outside the hotel selling jewellry, aloe vera or hash depending on what you fancied. I never really had a problem with them but they were a little annoying and you got hassled everytime you stepped out onto the road. Times are hard and everyone needs to make a living but being offered dope, no matter how subtley, when you are walking along with your 12 year old daughter is a little bit ridiculous.
However, these are minor points and reflect more on the surroundings than the hotel If you are going to Barbados and especially if you are going and considering keeping costs down by self catering, then you cant go far wrong with the 02. Its a really pleasant place to stay, clean, safe, freindly staff and a nice atmosphere. Oh, and in Robyn, the hotel has the best cocktail maker in the Caribean !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean Two Resort & Residences is a four diamond, beachfront property located at the far end of St.Lawrence Gap with a wide array of amenities and facilities. It is the ideal location for romantic retreats, family holidays, girlfriend getaway, family reunions/group travel as well as meetings and incentive groups! With its spacious accommodations including Hotel Rooms, One Bedroom & Two Bedroom Suites with genuine, Bajan hospitality, Ocean Two is THE place to stay on the South Coast of Barbados! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with seekda GmbH, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Ocean Two Resort & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean 2 Resort & Residences
- Ocean Two Resort And Residences
- Ocean Two Resort & Residences Hotel St Lawrence Gap
- Ocean Two Resort & Residences Barbados/St. Lawrence Gap