“Excellent with a few minor quibbles”

Ocean Two Resort & Residences
Reading, UK
“Excellent with a few minor quibbles”
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

You read reviews on trip advisor and sometimes you look at them and think 'this is too good to be true'. Well some of them probably are, but having stayed at the 02 for 2 weeks over Easter I can confirm that its ratings are, on he whole, deserved.

Whenever I review a holiday hotel I tend to take a bit of time and break it down so apologies if this is a bit long but here we go....

Room - there are three of us - me, my wife and my 12 year old daughter and we were self catering. We booked a 1 bedroom sea view suite. The room is literally faultless. Large, very clean, new furniture, spotless kitchen, comfy beds, superb balcony and cleaned to a very high standard every day. We stayed in room 709 and I would recommend it.

The hotel - small and cosy but a reasonable size for a boutique hotel. We were dissapointed by the pool, it was much smaller than we expected and if you are the type of family that spend your whole day by the pool, you need to think about that but on the flip side, its ideal for toddlers and small children. Sun beds were huge and comfy and everything was new and spotless. Pool bar is small but excellent - the staff, Charles, Darrien and particularly Robyn were exceptional and a credit to the hotel. The front desk were always friendly, smiling and cheerful and the inside bar was fine but we never really used it. In fact every member of staff we met was an absolute credit to the hotel and probably took this review from a 4 * to a 5* review.

Restaurant - we were self catering but we ate lunch and breakfast here a couple of times. The food is fine and service is friendly but so very slow. One morning we asked for a coffee refill 4 times over a 20 minute period. One thing I must mention is an experience we had on the last day. I ordered a fish sandwich and it arrived undercooked. This can happen anywhere but I judge service on how an issue is resolved not on it happening. The way it was handled was faultless and it is too the restaurant managers great credit that I left more impressed than I went in, despite being served some pretty bad food !!!

Beach - this was one of our big disapointments. The hotels beach team are great and the beach itself was fine but the sea was very choppy which on its own isnt a problem, but this coupled with a rocky / stony first 30 yards in is not a pleasant experience. However, walk down 50 yards and go round the headland and there is a sandier beach but you have the drawback of having to pay for sunbeds. In fact every beach in Barbados was a little dissapointing and not quite what I expected but maybe thats just me spoiled by my last 2 holidays being in Thailand !!

I have two other criticisms which are minor but I want to point out. The hotel has two lifts and 1 was out of order he two weeks we were there. We were notified by the hotel and they apologised but we spent at least 20 mins a day waiting for lifts which is far from ideal. Apparently the hotel was waiting for a part from the US but can I suggest that the hotel owners hold OTIS feet to the fire on this next time, as it was a real pain. Secondly there a few guys hanging round outside the hotel selling jewellry, aloe vera or hash depending on what you fancied. I never really had a problem with them but they were a little annoying and you got hassled everytime you stepped out onto the road. Times are hard and everyone needs to make a living but being offered dope, no matter how subtley, when you are walking along with your 12 year old daughter is a little bit ridiculous.

However, these are minor points and reflect more on the surroundings than the hotel If you are going to Barbados and especially if you are going and considering keeping costs down by self catering, then you cant go far wrong with the 02. Its a really pleasant place to stay, clean, safe, freindly staff and a nice atmosphere. Oh, and in Robyn, the hotel has the best cocktail maker in the Caribean !!

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
OceanHotelsBarbados, Operations Manager at Ocean Two Resort & Residences, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear flipper25,

Many thanks for sharing this review. At Ocean Two we truly encourage and appreciate all guest feedback as it greatly aides guests such as yourself when planning their dream holiday.

We are all truly delighted that you had such an excellent stay here with us, finding comfort in our well-appointed suites and the excellent service provided by our commendable team.

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay; however we thank you for your feedback as we continuously strive to provide a memorable and enjoyable holiday experience to all of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ocean Two Resort and Residences soon!

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband, two children (ages 19 and 15 yrs) and I returned to Ocean Two for a second year in a row. We were greeted by the friendly and welcoming staff immediately upon arrival. We were offered refreshing juice drinks while we waited to be checked in. Before long, we were escorted to our lovely suite overlooking the sea. The suite was impeccably clean and well equipped. As returning guests we received a basket of Bajan goodies and a note stating "Welcome to your home away from home!". What a nice surprise! The bed was very comfortable, the entire staff was absolutely wonderful. While most of our dinners were eaten elsewhere, the hotel food was very good. I particularly enjoyed the grilled local fish. The hotel's location is perfect as there are many nice places to explore along St. Lawrence Gap. I also enjoyed having a market across the street and an ATM nearby. The washer/dryer came in handy. Barry's Surf Shop is a very short distance away and has wonderful surf instructors, good for both adults and children. One day we charted a boat and snorkeled with sea turtles! The hotel can also arrange for tennis with a nearby pro. The hotel gym is well equipped and very clean. The rooftop pool was a perfect spot for happy hour. In addition, Ocean Two is a pleasant 15 or 20 minute ride from the airport. I highly recommend Ocean Two and hope to return for many more years to come!!

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny!
3 Thank Roekessler
OceanHotelsBarbados, Operations Manager at Ocean Two Resort & Residences, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear RoeKessler,

Many thanks for sharing this lovely review! It was such a pleasure to welcome you back to your home away from home and we are truly delighted to know that you once again had an amazing stay here with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back "home" soon!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is the best of both worlds, hotel style service, pool, bars and guest service with the independence of having a luxury apartment.

Great location at one end of the Gap, ideal for an evening wander to the bars and restaurants, and halfway between the airport and Bridgetown, so great for taxi-based jollies to Bridgetown or Oistins.

We stayed in a Ocean view One bedroom suite:
It had a good sized bedroom, bathroom/wet room, a studio style kitchen/lounge/dining room and a balcony with dining table for four and loungers for two.

Nice spec: two good sized Plasma tv's (bedroom/lounge), a room safe, a well equipped kitchen (cutlery, pyrex, pots n pans etc although the convection/microwave combo!), great fridge freezer (with ice maker), washing machine, tumble dryer and even a dishwasher (for which Ocean supply dishwasher tablets)!

The rooms are new, well maintained and pretty stylish. The bed and numerous pillows are to die for and the only criticism I would have to overall room design is a lack of wardrobe space (we got premium economy luggage allowance (44kgs) and the wife used it to the max!).

And Finally onto the Hotel itself... The pool, pool bar and beach are fab. The beach is at the end of a stretch so no through traffic and no hawkers (although I think this may be true of most of Barbados beaches), the pool and surrounds are dinky with a definite boutique feel, but the big thing this hotel has going for it, is the staff... from the pool manager (O'Neal) and his staff, all of whom are fun, funny, friendly and attentive, the Bar 'Meister' - Wavell and his cohorts, always ready for a chat and educative pointers to philosophy, food and the best of Barbados right down to the housekeeping and front of house staff - to whom nothing seems to be too much trouble.

Top Tip: look out for the Happy Hour, late afternoon round the Pool bar... great value!!!

Room Tip: Get an Ocean view One bedroom suite: Best location, great views and good size.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear butlera,

Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful review of your recent Ocean Two holiday experience. At Ocean Two we continuously strive to provide our guests with an exceptional holiday experience which exceeds their expectations and from your glowing comments it appears as though we hit the mark!

We thank you for your lovely remarks regarding our fantastic location, luxurious suites, high end amenities and our excellent team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ocean Two Resort & Residences in the near future!

COUNTY LIMERICK
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I was a little dubious when we first arrived. We had stayed in Barbados previosuly but it was our first time at Ocean Two Resort. We received a lovely welcome on arrival and enjoyed the non-alcolohic punch whilst completing the registration forms. As you probably have seen, the Hotel is beautifully located with it's own private beach. When we walked into our suite, I was so impressed. Once again, I have to use the Four Seasons as a comparison. The style and decor was every bit as good as our beautiful FS in Dublin and also what I have experienced in Chicago with the added enhancement of the kitchen area, the highlight of which for me was the American Style fridge with ice readily available and a cold water system with VERY drinkable water. In all, the suite is very luxurious and was cleaned to a very high standard. Each day, I requested housekeeping at the time that suited us best and I must say, they arrived promply and did an excellent job. Now, I have to admit that the most frustrating part of being on this beautiful Island is trying to get in line with the way of life in Barbados. If like me, you live a very busy lifestyle and are used to everything happening very quickly - forget about it! This is not how the true Bajan's live and you have to adapt to their ways. Honestly, they have the right outlook. Everything gets done, but it takes a little longer and I truly believe that when you travel, it is very important to adapt to the way the locals live and work. We have to learn to relax and savour new evironments. This was a little difficult at first as I was on a business trip and the true start to my day was the want for a large pot of coffee served very quickly. I could have done this myself in the suite, but my husband fell in love wtih the buffet breakfast therefore the rush to keep him happy before work commenced. I had it down to a fine art after the first day and I must admit, once the staff knew what I wanted, they delivered. Now, this is what truly makes Ocean Two Resort a little more special. The staff, from security, concierge, front desk, the bar, restaurant and the pool/beach staff were outstanding. Never have I experienced such friendly, adorable people. They were incredible! On the few hours we had to relax, we took loungers on the beach. The only place I have ever ecountered the service they provide on the beach was poolside at the Encore Hotel Las Vegas and yet, the guys at Ocean Two take the service level one step above the rest. Loungers available immediately with beautifully cushioned overlays, towels, umbrellas, iced water and cocktails on request, cold face towels beautifully scented to help refresh, lunch on the beach if you wish and heavens above, the spritzing on a hot day has to be the ultimate in spoiling a guest. Now, because I am an honest reviewer, I have to say that one of the things that concerns me is the Restaurant, both for lunch and dinner. I was not looking for fine dining (we went to Champers most nights for this - incredible), however it is lovely to be able to enjoy a nice lunch or dinner at the Hotel when you just want to relax. We had lunch on a number of occasions and it was just ok. We had one disappointing dinner, but the supervisor was very professional and kindly arranged a meal in our room as a replacement for dinner. I simply had to try the restaurant again and when we did, the meal was fantastic. We had the pleasure of meeting the Chef who told us he had spent some time in Cavan, Ireland during his career. My concern about this restaurant is that I feel the whole property could increase their revenue by at least 100% if they could improve on the dining facility and I honestly don't see why it can't be as fantastic as everything else they offer. They have a great Chef, but they need to improve the menus and add some lighting at night. This is just an personal observation and quite possibly, not one that others experience. In relation to sleep quality, I did not hear a sound at any time. The suites seem to be quite sound-proof. Staying in St. Lawrence Gap probably offers a good nightlife aspect for those who want to savor it, however if you just want to relax, you will not be bothered by late night club noise or disco's. I truly love this Hotel and look forward to returning in October and again in December (all work related but hope to sneek in a few hours on the beach). Well done to all at Ocean Two and you have set a very high standard for all other properties on the Island.

Room Tip: Any Ocean Front room is perfect. Obviously the 7th floor has the best view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank katiedg
Dear katiedg,

Many thanks for sharing this wonderful, highly detailed review of your recent stay here with us at Ocean Two Resort and Residences.

You have thoroughly highlighted many of the fantastic features and qualities that are unique to Ocean Two, which all come together to make a most memorable and enjoyable holiday experience.

We thank you for your kind remarks regarding our excellent location, well-appointed suites, high quality amenities and your breakfast dining experience. A special thank you for your glowing comments about our first class team and the stellar service they provide.

We appreciate your constructive comments regarding our Restaurant, as this feedback is important in helping us to improve on any areas to ensure our guests' satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ocean Two soon!

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

A wonderful stay, the other recent reviews are pretty much bang on.
Fantastic staff make the place come alive and only enhance your stay. Its not problems that irritate people it's how they are dealt with and Ocean Two is a shining example of customer service, any request/problem is very quickly and politely dealt with. This service is the closest to Disney we've come across but is more genuine and laid back.
Rooms (2 bed ocean view suite no.605) bed comfort, facilities, beach, pool and atmosphere all first class.
Restaurant average for dinner, but great places nearby e.g. Harlequin, Sweet Potato, Cafe Sol, Waterside. Oistins Fish Fry on a Friday is real Barbados and great value food.
Thankyou Ocean Two for a great holiday.

5 Thank 799ChrisH
Dear 799ChrisH,

A warm thank you for sharing this wonderful review of your recent Ocean Two Resort and Residences holiday experience.

We are all truly delighted and honored to read such glowing remarks of the stellar service provided by our team. At Ocean Two, we place a strong emphasis on training and development; as such it gives us great pride to know that our guests such as yourself truly appreciate the high standard of service they receive.

It is such a pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ocean Two Resort and Residences soon!

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful resort. One bedroom ocean front 4th floor...great view. The room was amazing , nicely decorated, spacious all the comforts of home,wish I could have brought bed home with me. Washer and dryer came in handy. Very clean..front desk staff amazing, Melinda was the best. Friendly people...cleaning staff was excellent , restaurant by the pool was nice but very overpriced for the food.

The beach and pool area were very nice, ocean was a bit rough at times, but you just use caution when you go in. Beach attendants were friendly. Family oriented resort. It's a must to stay at.

Room Tip: I found 4th floor had a great ocean view rm 408
2 Thank marco19561965
Dear marco1956165,

Many thanks for sharing this review of your recent holiday experience at Ocean Two Resort & Residences. We are all truly delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay and your glowing comments have been relayed to Malinda and the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ocean Two soon!

London
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We stayed in October 2012 and were very fortunate with the weather. The day we arrived was overcast and rainy, but that was it, hot and sunny after that with one shower lasting about 10 minutes. The accommodation here is lovely, our apartment had a great balcony and lounge area. Personally I found the bedroom a tad noisy and it was a shame it didn't have natural light. I could hear a whirring sound like air conditioning even if I turned this off at night. It could have been the location of our room in the hotel though. We found Barbados expensive, this was in comparison to recent trips to Thailand and Cambodia though.

Take a drink to the roof terrace for sunset, it's peaceful, beautiful; we did this every night and were on our own! Staff are helpful and the food is very good. We had dinner twice here, and the price compares favourably to the restaurants in the Gap area. It's not really a great swimming beach here, but the pool is very nice. It was great to see baby turtles, they ventured in to the hotel so the staff had a box at reception! A day trip on a catamaran is good fun, again quite expensive but very enjoyable. We also did Ted's Island Tour, again fun and informative, we enjoyed Sunbury House and the lunch there, although on occasion you feel you are seeing his friends and their wares for sale! I wouldn't return, but that is not a reflection on Ocean 2, I think Asia has more sights and sounds that appeal rather than the Caribbean, and again for the value for money too.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathryn B
Dear Kathryn B,

Thank you for taking the time to share this review! We truly appreciate all guest feedback as it helps us in our continued efforts to provide our guests with exceptional service.

We thank you for your kind remarks regarding our spectacular rooftop terrace, the high quality food provided at our restaurant and our excellent team.

Although your stay in Barbados and by extension the Caribbean might not have been what you were looking for, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ocean Two Resort and Residences in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Lawrence Gap
Tamarind by Elegant Hotels
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Ocean Two Resort & Residences? Share your experiences!