“Wonderful find..Great Staff, Great Room, Great Spot!”
Review of South Gap Hotel

South Gap Hotel
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Wonderful find..Great Staff, Great Room, Great Spot!”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

First of all I have to say a huge thanks to the staff at South Gap - I was one of those 'annoying' customers who couldn't confirm my travel dates and had to keep changing my plans at a very busy period during the Crop Over festivities. They were all extremely patient and helpful before and during my stay, and despite me being such a nuisance they gave me a free upgrade when I needed to stay an extra night!
I was on a business trip for a conference and was just looking for accommodation on the island to suit my tight budget, so I was very pleasantly surprised by the excellent value for money offered by South Gap. The hotel is in a great location if you want to really be in the middle of things - easy access to both Bridgetown and Oistins and its literally on the doorstep of the clubs, bars and restaurants along St Lawrence Gap (so no taxi fares!)
Its not 5-star accommodation but the rooms have everything you need for self-catering and are kept really clean with a daily maid service.
Noise has never been an issue with me so the 'singing' from the nearby Karaoke bar didn't bother me at all, but it can get very loud at times. Because I had to chop and change so much I stayed in 2 different rooms and the 1-bedroom apartment on the ground floor was actually closer to the noisy area but I couldn't hear it from there so they probably have some sort of sound-proofing on the lower floors.
In a nutshell, South Gap Hotel is a great place to stay and they have a really high standard of customer care which goes a long way in my book. I had a very enjoyable stay there and I shall definitely be returning!

Room Tip: If noise is an issue check with the staff which are the quieter rooms - I tried a ground floor room...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank RocksteadyB r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Czech first
sunderland,england
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two weeks jul/aug 2012, we were there for our wedding anniversary on wich we received a bottle of bubbly from the hotel, a very nice touch.
The staff at this hotel are very friendly and accomodating especially Rose at reception who is a credit to the hotel, all the staff were very polite and if they didnt have an answer for you they would go and find the answer.
the accomodation was very clean and what you would expect for a self catering hotel, there are two ring electric stoves and plenty of cookware and cuttlery i managed a full english breakfast for 4 adults no problem and no im not Gorden Ramsay.
As the hotel is in the heart of the gap you will hear the music at night, this was not a problem for us and we are in our fifties if this would be a problem for you then the first floor appts would be better as a friend who stayed in one could not hear any music at night as they are sheltered from the music.
The facilities at the hotel are excellent, the restaurant is very nice over looking the pool and the ocean, the food is delicious and the rum punch is a must.
No matter if you are a couple, a group of friends or a family this hotel will cater for your needs,even if you are on a budget this is the hotel for you, very good value for money.
We will definately go back top marks.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors are quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lynal1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We have visited barbados seven times and stayed i various hotels and I have to say, Our stay at this hotel was just fabulous. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The location is excellent for all the great buzz of the gap on your door step, restaurants, bars and nightclubs all walking distance. There are also great street food options just outside the hotel that trade from midnight onwards. There is parking on site.

Now the rooms are clean and comfortable with good air conditioning and fantastic views of the caribbean sea to wake up to every morning. There is a good beachfront restaurant and pool for guests. Noise wise, you are right on the strip so there is some noise but nothing tht you cannot sleep through should you want a night in. In terms of value for money,great hospitality and a good location this is an excellent option.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Londongirl036
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Me & a friend stayed at this hotel in June 2012 & could not have been happier - even though the holiday was free due to my friend winning a competition - so obviously we were going to be impressed!

Each member of staff we spoke to were extremely friendly & especially helpful on where to go & where not to go! (being 2 young girls we quickly learned to ignore the far too friendly men).

The room was cleaned every day & comfy - it was perfect for what we needed it for - going to somehwere like Barbados you should only want the room to shower & sleep in!

The only possible downside is the karaoke across the road! but hey! you're on holiday if you cant beat them join them! & it was only certain nights of the week.

All in all a brilliant hotel to stay in & I would definitely stay again should i be lucky enough!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank esullivan88
Bristol
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I would have given five stars which was what our experience deserved but our experience included Salvio's Bar and Restaurant and I have been informed that the hotel wanted to try to run the bar and restaurant themselves and that Salvio's is no longer part of South Gap. Wherever you move to please let us know as we will eat at Salvio's on our return. We stayed at this hotel for three weeks in June, we had the most amazing time and were made to feel very welcome and at home by everybody, especially "Andy" the most amazing chef and owner of Salvio's restaurant, in my opinion this restaurant was the heart of the hotel; also "Gail" who made from scratch (NOT out of a plastic container kept in the fridge as some other places did) the most amazing cocktails, Gail you could open your own cocktail bar and with your skills it could be the busiest little bar on the Gap! Jordan who was so polite and would spend time talking to my husband and I even though we are older than him and little Salvio who has the cutest accent and is the cutest little boy!

The security in this hotel is second to none, Glyn known fondly by us as (Dad) does a brilliant job, we named him Dad because like everybody's Dad he was genuinely concerned about the well being of every visitor staying at this hotel. I must mention the young security guard who worked when Dad had the night off, he was always friendly and had our key ready for us as soon as we walked up the steps.

All of the staff at the hotel greet you when they see you and given that the hotel is in the middle of the Gap you feel very very safe! There are a handful of people who offer you things, yes girls if you want them or drugs but drugs get offered to you in the village high street on a night our near to where I live, maybe not so openly but it happens all the same!!
We saw no prostitutes on the Gap and I'm amazed that somebody wrote that in a review, we were in the hotel at the same time and the person who wrote the review never left the hotel at night once as far as I'm aware, her husband walked across the road to the Karaoke bar and maybe down to convenience store but his wife spent every evening on their balcony. Which brings me onto the point of getting bitten. The rooms were spotless the cleaning staff work very hard in this hotel, the bedding is changed every couple of days as are your towels by very competent staff. The beds have mattress protectors on which I was REALLY happy to see, I have mattress protectors on all of my beds at home and it is certainly not for any sinister reasons but BASIC hygiene. The mattress stays clean and you can wash the protector but you can't wash a mattress! Thank you South Gap that was the first thing I looked for when I saw the bed.
If there was anything sinister in the mattress you would have evidence of that all over the sheets, this was NOT the case.

Getting back to the balcony, mosquitoes they bite at night and they also bite in the day after you have had rain! June is the start of the rainy season and although we only had quick showers sitting on your balcony eating your meal after the rain shower without any repellent on is a sure way of getting bitten, leaving your doors open is a sure way of them getting in, leaving your shutters in the bathroom open after a rain shower or at night is a sure way of them getting in, we kept our doors closed air con on and shutters closed and we didn't get bitten in the room apart from when we first arrived, we reported it to reception they quickly sprayed the room and that was the end of it.

The beaches are beautiful, we went to Dover beach but then decided to try Crystal waters on the recommendation of a wonderful welsh Bajan (well nearly lol) friend we made while staying at the hotel. We didn't get hassled at all and we spent quite a few days at Crystal waters where we met some great people for some great chats in the small bar on the beach where they have the Sunday BBQ.

Evenings and said noise!!! We stayed on the top floor of this hotel, we requested it because the view was stunning, we had read about the noise and were prepared to try it out. Yes it is
very loud at night and at first we thought we would like to change rooms, the hotel were more than happy to move us, they offered us two rooms but we loved being up there at the top of the hotel and decided to stay. The burn's review refers to this noise which is astonishing as they informed us that they couldn't hear a thing from their room and they were only aware of the noise from us. We were more than happy to put up with it thank you and more than happy to go out at night and join in the fun and watch all of the holiday makers getting very very drunk much to the amazement of the Bajan people looking on, not the other way around!
FRANK'S BAR!!!!!! what a lovely warm welcoming bar, a quiet bar small and intimate, we loved it in here not rowdy but a lovely place to talk and find out about life in Barbados and also how to cheat at cards, courtesy of Frank and Paul and at the expense of Lucy who you will quite often find sitting in the window seat watching the world go by. We had some lovely evenings in here chatting to local people who were always so obliging to our curiosity of Barbados life. Hello to Ian who was great company to me as my other half joined in with the cheating card game lol!
We don't know where we will stay on our return next year we haven't decided yet but thank you to maintenance, cleaning, security, reception and a Big thank you to Salvio's!!!!

Room Tip: if you don't want to join in the fun until the small hours ask for a room on the lower floors so...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Gashead
Brittany, France
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We spent 2 x weeks at the South Gap Hotel and really enjoyed our stay, its right in the middle of The Gap which is THE place to stay on Barbados with all the bars & restaurants.
The staff were exceptionally friendly and nothing was to much trouble. The rooms were very clean with great views over the sea just a little dated. The pool & terrace were cleaned daily & the restaurant food was good & reasonably priced. We would definitely stay at the South Gap Hotel again.
I didn't find The Gap dirty or intimidating at all, the Bajans are amazingly friendly I felt very safe walking alone at night. Just be prepared to say morning/afternoon/evening to everyone as they all speak to you.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan H
TRALEE CO KERRY
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I would recommend this hotel to everyone as we had a wonderful time here. What you see in their web page is exactly what is there. The staff were very friendly and helpful. When we arrived they had given us a second floor room,as there was no lift this was a problem for me. I cannot climb too many stairs due to arthritis. The management immediately upgraded us to a ground floor unit poolside and sea view.The only negative we had was not with the hotel but the area itself. There was little or no nightlife,this was a thriving area some years ago,not any more. The other element was that every was so expensive. All the other guests agree.Great for a quiet break especially for couples..

Room Tip: Every room faces the pool and ocean . Great views
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dover Beach Hotel
Dover Beach Hotel
#3 of 4 in Dover
Butterfly Beach Hotel

Been to South Gap Hotel? Share your experiences!