Iberostar Daiquiri
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Melia Cayo Guillermo(Cayo Guillermo)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Sol Cayo Guillermo(Cayo Guillermo)
View Hotel
IBEROSTAR Playa Pilar(Cayo Guillermo)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Playa Coco(Cayo Coco)
  • Beachfront
4,174 results
All reviewsstar friendsthe mexican restaurantla marinafishcamaguey buildinglobby barpilar beachevery other daysuperior roompastafajitasguest servicesmain buffeta la carte restaurantsentertainment staffother resortstwo weeks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The Iberostar Daquiri is, in my opinion, the best hotel in Cayo Guillermo. Not only is it structurally/architecturally beautiful but the hotel staff showed a level of professionalism that I had not yet encountered in my 8 previous trips to Cuba. Don’t get me wrong, I have met many nice people in other hotels but the staff in this hotel seemed to have been better trained somehow – just my impression. Apart from that, there was a good variety of food that was very well prepared. For those who like seafood, there was always a selection to choose form. There was also a good selection of fresh fruit and baked goods. The beach of course was great! There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t dream about going for a terrific swim in that water. Overall it was a great holiday and I don’t hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of visiting Cuba.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
12  Thank Robert S
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at Iberostar Daiquiri, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Robert S,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri for your holiday in Cayo Guillermo Cuba, my pleasure to know that it was a Overall a great holidays , also many thank for take this time to write this positive reviews it will contribute for all person looking for information about the resort.
Special thank you for the staff appointment highlighting the level of professionalism fined.
We hope to see you one again soon!
The Hotel manager

Reviewed 13 October 2013

If you are looking for a quiet nice beach to lay on, this is the place, however DO NOT FORGET YOUR BUG SPRAY. This was my 4th trip to Cuba and the first time I have suffered with bites to the point I have ripped skin off my feet and legs.

Food is typical Cuba, not terrible but quite boring and heavy on the grease. Bar is great, best selection of Premium alcohol I have had in Cuba. Ary at the lobby bar makes awesome pina coladas (and for a tip take him Kit Kat bars and he will do anything for you!)

Staff at the hotel lobby bar are excellent, efficient and friendly. Buffet staff very friendly as are the Entertainment crew. However the front desk, guest services and a la carte restaurants leave a lot to be desired. Air Canada rep for tours was nothing but a lazy liar. He actually booked us on two tours and I am sure forgot to put our names on the list for the second one so the bus never showed up - did get a refund but that was not the point it was for my husband's birthday and also just the day before we came home so there was no opportunity to book the trip again. There was no apology for the error (we waited over an hour in the lobby before finally finding out the trip was supposedly cancelled - from the Sunwing rep at that!) just excuses and passing blame.

Breakfast buffet supposed to open at 7 - and it sort of does, except that don't expect anyone to be there to cook for you until at least 7:30

Just remember you are operating on Cuba time - show at 9:30 - 10:00 Cuba time! and did I mention - take bug spray!

Room Tip: This hotel is currently under reno's - they were supposed to be completed in October but now they are saying Dec. I don't think they have actually done much yet but it did not affect our stay at all, the area they are working on is fenced off and it is all inside work. Ask to be on the West side of the resort and you will be fine
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VegasPrincess_8

Dear VegasPrincess_8,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri for your recent holiday in Cayo Guillermo Cuba. As well thank for take a time to write this reviews to know how ware your experience. In particular you had enjoyed a good stay and received a very friendly service by our staff. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us.
Reference your comment about the on time program didn´t fine at the Breast buffet the normal time open is 7am we apologies is some time is wasn´t done, reference the Show in the night, it is surprise for us read that because, never somebody any way will passing this note the parson in charge.
We Hope to see you once again
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I don't know where to start with all the problems we had during our stay. Just not a four star experience at all, one of the worst experiences we've had in any hotel around the world. We booked this hotel for four nights during our two week trip around Cuba, and we planned it as a little treat given that for the rest of a trip we were staying in "casa particulares", which is B&B-type accommodation, around one tenth of the price of this hotel. We thought we were paying European prices to have a more high end experience but in the end we were 100% more comfortable in the casas particulares than in this ridiculously overpriced hotel. A complete waste of money. Do not miss Cayo Guillermo (absolute paradise, without doubt one of the most beautiful places in the world) but whatever you do, do NOT stay in this hotel.

Apart from all of the problems we experienced, the main source of our frustration was that we reported the problems many times during our stay and absolutely nothing was done to try to solve them or compensate us in any way whatsoever. The lady who was in charge of customer service listened to my complaints each time with a very concerned face, told me of course this was not at all acceptable and sincerely apologised, and then we just heard nothing more at all. I know other people had the same experience as there was always a queue to talk to her! She even gave me an official complaint form which I completed (I still have the dated and signed copy), and we still never heard anything neither during nor after our stay. You'll see a similar generic reply to all of the negative reviews below, and evidently none of the points being reported are actually being improved.

A summary of the problems we saw:
- Absolutely disgusting hygiene in the common areas. You weren't supposed to flush toilet paper down the toilets which is a normal thing in cuba, but the common area toilets had bins with no lids!! So you had to see and smell what the people before had left. Most days these were left four or five hours without being emptied and were often overflowing (I did take photos of this but wont put them up here as it's rather bad taste). There was often no soap, which went for hours at a time without being refilled - and we saw staff using these toilets during these times. This lack of hygiene was really the most serious point, which I reported on several occasions to customer service, and we saw no improvement during our stay.
- The first day when we arrived there were no beach towels and they kept asking us to come back in an hour, then in two hours, then later in the afternoon, then the next day. At reception "we don't know, ask at the beachhouse" at the beachhouse "we don't know, ask customer service". In this case of a failure in the hotel's service, wouldn't the normal procedure in a four star hotel be that a member of staff brings the towels to the guest rather than the guest having to keep running back and forth to enquire?
- Cold trickle of a shower. Again this was one of the things we had been looking forward to after staying in more basic accommodation, and we found better showers in casa particulares.
- No concierge. I think this is quite a standard service for a four star hotel, yet there was noone who could help us with getting information on bus times/taxis etc to get to our next destination. We ended up asking the porter who was very helpful and found out about bus times from a friend of a friend (as is always the way in Cuba) but no professional service from the hotel.
- We slept badly due to the constant noise from the false ceiling, either from the water or aircon system (even when we had the aircon turned off). Again nothing done to try to fix it. Our room was right next to the area where they do the Cabaret shows in the evening, which is not sound-proofed, plus they leave the door wide open, so in our room it was like being in the concert. Not relaxing at all. On some nights it went on til after midnight. Again, upon receiving this complaint in most good hotels they would maybe see if they could move you to another room, but not here. Another couple with a baby in a room near us had the same experience.
- Generally run down, sad rooms. Stained sofa, hairdryer from the 1960s.
- Food was bland and unvaried, nothing like the lovely fresh ingredients we'd had in other places in Cuba.
- On our last day we were told we could check-out late, at midday, for an extra fee. Then at 11.30 the next guest just walked into our room (we were getting changed so rather uncomfortable situation) and started shouting at us that reception told them they could check in and what were we doing still there. When we went down to reception there was absolute chaos, lots of people getting irate as their rooms weren't ready and they'd been told they were. We had to wait half an hour just to check-out.
- As people commented before, staff were generally friendly, but this is just the way Cubans are, it's nothing special about this hotel. But they all had a very "nothing we can do" attitude towards any problems.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lauren C
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at Iberostar Daiquiri, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear Lauren C,

On behalf of all the hotel manager, we want apologize for any disadvantages found during your stay in our hotel Iberostar Daiquiri; Our interest is get all the clients enjoy a great stay in the resort, we really so sorry to know it wasn’t happen in your case.

Concerning your letter with the compliant write during your stay (on the 12/02/2012) we understood and interpreted that were general comments with the interest no continue passing, because in the report you didn’t ask for any compensation or something similar, of course we pay attention about it, and really sorry for the situation happened with the tower service.

We are always trying to improve the services and attentions we offer to clients, for this reason we will take into consideration all your feedback regarding your review so we can give a better service every day.

How we understand in these comments you really like this place but disappoint for the incidents passing during this days you were here in the hotel; after the closing for some renovation in different area of this hotel and the working now to reforming the room, be live me the hotel are complete renewed with many thing that make the different…

We hope you reconsidered to comeback once again and can see all the improvements we are introducing in the hotel for continue offer our best service.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We travelled there back in the end of August. Since the hotel was undergoing the renovations (still, although they were supposed to be done by Aug 1st) I will skip the feedback that is related to it, at the end it is something temporary and will be over sooner or later.

First of all, the management sucks. We have booked a vacation with AirCanada and arrived at around noon, as it was planned. Just to discover that our room is not ready :) We have been to Cuba several times before and always the arrival time was different - yet it never happened to us that we did not have a room upon arrival. So, we were told to wait for 2 hours for our room and when I asked to at least give us a place to change they have suggested to go to the restrooms. Great advice for the family with two kids, including 2 years old girl.

Of course, two hours later the room was not ready. I had to call their managed (Eduardo) and quickly realized that he is totally useless. We have got our room at about 3pm only.

The room was in quite bad state. It was clean, cannot argue with that, but so far I think it was the worst room I have seen in Cuba. Important advice: do not try to hang anything on the bathroom curtain rail, it won't even hold a single towel ;) Light in the bathroom did not work and it took them like 3 days to fix it. There is not a single available electrical outlet in the room, except the bathroom - so you will need to unplug something to charge your camera/phone/etc. And, of course, these outlets are located in the most hidden places behind the furniture :)

Also we could not get any drinking water in our room until next day, even after I went to the reception in person twice. And first day in hot tropical climate you do drink more than on average. Ary at the bar was very helpful, we have got some water in the bottles from him after I explained the situation.

A/C was barely able to provide a little bit of cool air so the nights were a bit too warm. The choice was between warmer air with few mosquitos and cooler outdoor air with more mosquitos. To be fair, the number of these flying beasts was quite modest, to our surprise.

The hotel was half-closed so it worked only at half of its capacity. So it was not that crowded. But I imagine that it becomes super-crowded when it is full. Even with half of the guests often there was not enough free space in the pools and at the pool bar. But going to the bean with only half of the people was great, the beach was quite empty and there was plenty of space. Otherwise I would imagine that the beach is too small for this hotel.

My wife got an ear infection, probably because of the pool water. The doctor at the hotel was great and the service was very quick and affordable. For 80 CUC she had all the care and the drugs so the problem was solved almost instantly and that did not ruin our vacation. I wish I could get to the doctor and be out in 10 minutes with all the drugs for $80 in Montreal ;)

The food was very good, a bit repeating but still very good and we never had any issues with either quality or choice. A-la-carte restaurant (well, actually one that played different roles each day ;) ) was also quite good. Although there was one episode that I did not really like. We were there one evening and a group of 3 women entered. They were greeted by the waiter and politely asked for their reservation, which they did not have. Their response was "we are Canadians, we do not need a reservation". Followed by a small bribe. They had their table 30 seconds later.

Evening entertainment was mostly good. And the theatre is definitely great. Again, having only half of the guests at the hotel simplified many things, no problems getting a seat etc.

Staff, especially the entertainment teams, is really good. They tried to do their best. I was really sorry for the entertainment team because they did not have enough customers and had to go to the people and the beach and ask them to participate in different activities. One or twice we were competing alone with my son :)

Also an interesting fact: while the hotel was half-open they have sold many rooms there to the Cubans. I suppose these had to be rich Cubans - one night there is roughly equivalent of a very decent monthly salary there. So I could not really understand who were these guys. Clearly some of them were working for Iberostar and were there with their families. But I have to say: they were the greatest neighbours we ever had in Cuba. Polite, reasonably quiet, not drinking until they are unable to walk, with very well behaving children. That was a pleasure to spend our time there with such a neighbours and, except a few drunk Germans, Quebeckers and some mosquitos ;) there was absolutely no other sources or nuisance there.

Room safety boxes is another story. When I saw that rusted metal thing my first idea was that the room does not have a safe :) It turned out that if you pay 2 CUC a day you get a lock cylinder that you can use to lock this monster. And you need to keep the key, of course. I think most of other hotels provide the safety boxes for free and they are keyless.

So, at the end, we have really mixed impression about the hotel. We had great time there but there was a couple of things we did not like. So the family thinks that we won't be going to Iberostar again, looks like our previous choices of the hotels in Cuba were significantly better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ngrigoriev
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at Iberostar Daiquiri, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Mr. N grigorien,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri hotel for your recent holiday in Cuba. We sincerely regret that you enjoyed your holiday as per your expectations.
Our main motivation is the satisfaction of our customers, we will take your comments in consideration for improve and achieve these failures do not occur at other times.

We hope you give us the opportunity to again be our guest and experience to improve their Iberostar.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

This si a piece of paradise and the people giving an excellent service make this an even better experiece. Sure the renovations are needed, actually half is closed off for renos. But the service is impecable and the stay was better than we expected.

The servers in the buffet are very attentive: to name a few, Rosa, Yummy and Ismail.

The entertainmetn group was spectacula (5 stars) they are all smiles and make your stay more enjoyable : all were good, we lucked into the nicest ChiChi and Mario as well as many other beautiful performers.

This was by far the most relaxing holiday in Cuba... if you are looking for city life or busy beacjh don't go there, it is a serene and lovely yuiet beach with 1/2 hour aqua fittness musc and the rest is calm.

Room Tip: rooms away from pool are quiter
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank saad_dhadouh

Dear Sead_dhadouth,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing our hotel for the enjoyment your holiday, we area so happy to know you have an enjoyed a great time. Thank as well, for write this positive reviewer for all community readers follow on the TripAdvisor.

We will congratulate Rosa, Yummy, Ismail, chichi and Mario that they have contributed to making your holiday special.

We hope to see again here in this hotel.

Celia Ferrán