“Really bad bites, not joking !”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of IBEROSTAR Daiquiri

and 1 more site!
IBEROSTAR Daiquiri
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Montreal, Canada
“Really bad bites, not joking !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Never happened to me in all times i have been to Cuba. You can't see the insects only the marks on your skin after !
I have pictures that i want to post but don't know how yet.
The hotel is ok, clean, people are nice, but i'm very nice to them too(tips, gifts, etc) the food is not good, i don't know what others are eating at home so that can say it's "very good". The food was good one night only on their 15 years anniversary of the hotel ! After 11 pm they are supposed to have at the buffet some food, i had to ask the cook to bring me some cheese from the kitchen so i can have a sandwich because one day only i had a hamburger and i vomited all night !
The meat on the cooking plate is cut in small strips so you can't see the whole thing only if u argue with them which i did every day& talked to the chef Jose every single day. He tried to accommodate me as much as he could but i didn't come on vacation to do that. Maybe that week(the first of december) was worst than usual.....I had a leak from AC in my room, had to wait 1 1/2 h to be be fixed, my shower had was rusty all over, had to be changed, another waiting period....
But the worst was the bites, my husband was covered in them, itchy all week, took Benadryl, lotions etc but my vacation was ruined because of that, couldn't go to beach or the pool much because of fear of bites, couldn't sleep either because of the itching, i was so tired&frustrated getting home but happy to leave !! I think that the hotel should do something more for that or worn us that is a bad period for the insects and also the company Air Canada should be responsible in some way& believe me the tickets were more expensive than other companies. So good luck to everyone going there maybe you don't experience any of this. And by the way they give you a bottle of water every other day& if you want more you have to pay for it as you have to pay for your safe which other "4*" hotels give you free. The maid like everywhere i was before did a good job but i always compensate them for that. The shows were good&music band in the lobby bar too but i wish i could have enjoyed all of that without the bites.

11 Thank Almabest
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Almabest,

After read you review publicized, we will like firt to say, we are relly apologice for the unconfortably experience during your recent stayed, how we can understand the more relevant were the bites of sandflies. This bugs you mention are common in this area. A kind of this little shadflies people here called "jejen" it´s en very uncomfortable. Reasons are always recommends using repellent on skin before going to the sand on the beach.

The effects of bite –jejen- usually do not prolong there effect, but when the people feel the itch and scratch causing this infection prolonging the healing time.

These bugs are usually germinated by seasons, so there is not always, but we recommend using appropriate repellent for these insects.

Hope to see you in better situation.

Regard,

The Hotel manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Territory of the hotel is very beautiful. Large lobby is comfortable both for waiting for your bus to arrive and to have some coffee or a cocktail. There are several gift shops, sigar shop and many small open-air souvenir stores. Activities for both adults and children are run all day, there are also several billiard tables free of charge. Night show are held inside special building, so no noise is heard in the rooms.

Food is wondeful (you could hardly find the same among many hotels in Cuba)! It is served in main restaurant and in beach cafeteria all day long. Bar has good choice of rum and international drinks.

Rooms are spacious but rather time-worn. You could find some scratches or shabby items, though they don't influence functionality. Buidings don't have elevators, so you definitely need help with the luggage. First floor rooms have nice entrance to the lawn.

The beach is very picturesque, though it is rather small. Sand is amasingly white and soft, and ocean is impressively emerald. This zone is rather windy so many kite surfers come here.

Room Tip: Better ask for rooms in separate buildings, not in the main building. First floor rooms has no balco...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alexandra_Alessandra
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Alexandra?Alessa

On behalf all the hotel staff I will like to thanks you for choice Iberostar Daiquiri hotel for you recent holiday in Cuba, is a pleasure for us to reed it was a beautiful experience. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us..

As well thank for the good description of the hotel and the service ofert, we hope to have you come back soon.

Best regard.

The Hotel Manage.
pointe claire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Note to Sandy C.- Go somewhere else and stay away from Cuba!!! Critical of everything. Wow, Poor you! We were at I.D. Dec.3-10 and really enjoyed it. Been to Cuba 7 times and staff here was nicest of all- restaurants, bar, etc. Resort is v. small so great for anyone who has difficulty walking. Rooms basic but everything worked and was very clean. Water pressure is low. Shower warm, not hot but okay. Pool is small but adequate. Lots of seating at pool and beach. Appreciated animators keeping activities low key and music not blasting. As for shows- these should be for adults, given the late start time. Kids should be in bed. Been to too many places where kids run around, spoil the show, and parents think they are so cute. Not the rest of us!
Spectacular beach, very shallow. Good food if you choose wisely. We'll go back..

5 Thank bonnie r
Dear Bennie r,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write this positive comments reference your experience in your recent stay in our Iberostar Daiquiri hotel; our pleasure to reed you have enjoyed a good holiday with this reconfirm Dic. 2013 were a good time here. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us..

We hope to see you again soon

Best regard,
The Hotel manager
Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was a last minute decision for my husband and I. I have visited Cuba 18 times, 5 times to the Iberostar Daiquiri. It was wonderful. Our room was great, ocean view, which I requested in advance. The AC was quiet and very efficient. The staff, as always, were very attentive. Beach, what can I say.....fantastic. The house band are authentic Cuban, which I love. They also did a couple of evening of dueling bands, with the house band playing one number, followed by a great ladies group. You could not have asked for better entertainment. The Star Friends work so hard all day, and then give you their all for the evening show.

The previous review said they only saw spraying on a couple of occasions. They must have been sleeping, because we witnessed two spraying per day for the first few days, then, with the strong breeze, we did not see a need for spraying later in the week. We're lucky, I guess, because the bugs did not seem to like us too much. I brought bug spray, but never used it. I got a few bites, probably from sand critters, but they didn't bother me or spoil my holiday in any way.

Thank you, Iberostar........see you in April for more fun and dancing!

Cathy and Stu

Room Tip: We had room 4347 (3rd floor) in the Varadero building - ocean view, very nice.
3 Thank Sisters2
Dear Bennie r,

We hope to see you again soon

Best regard,
The Hotel manager
London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

After weeks of keeping myself informed by reading the reviews on this site as they came through, I am finally able to extend my own review of this resort. We arrived on December 1 and stayed for 7 days. There were 5 adults in my group.

The room that was first given was not in 4 star quality more like a 2 star. The AC didn't work nor did the fridge which surprised me as you would think that after other guests complain of the same things that they would take care of the issue so it is not a continuance each and every time someone goes into that room. The second room was not the greatest either but we settled as the view was pretty.

The food was okay as we did not go hungry but it was definitely repetitive to say the least. Again if people are complaining about it perhaps you should actually take their advice and switch it up a bit. I know it is Cuba and all but seriously you need to widen the variety that you offer on your buffet's. The a la cartes were nothing to right home about either. But if I had to choose which was the better of the 3 it would be the Mexican.

The bugs oh my goodness the bites are unbelievable. The noseeums were out night and day at this resort and for all the bug spray we used nothing seemed to stop them. You can actually feel them biting you. I only saw them fumigate twice during my 7 day stay. I am still healing from all the bites. There was another couple who landed the same time as my group and the woman had been bitten so many times and got a reaction to the bites she had to see the doctor on call at a high expense and was given a needle in the butt along with antihistamine and lotion which she had to apply for her entire trip. Not a pleasant vacation for them.

The beach is beautiful and the pool well you get wet so it was good enough I suppose. I would hate to this resort at full capacity as they struggled with the 300 guests as it was. This resort is still under renovations and as far as I can see will be for another year or so.

The shows were at times not meant for young eyes as it was more of an adult entertainment type of show than something of the arts. WAS NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE LACK OF TASTE IN THE SHOW'S. They need to be toned down to allow the children to enjoy as well.

The other guests were shall I say overwhelming as they outnumbered the English Canadian speaking guests. They were rude and ignorant but I am told that is how they are and that the workers favor them.

We booked a few of the excursions and was not happy with the woman that booked them for us. We did the Moron tour which is an all day trip and then arranged for my husband and his friend to do the Jeep Safari which is a joke in itself as it isn't even in a jeep but yet a kia and they did the exact same thing as we had done on the Moron tour instead of being on a bus they were in a car. No off roading or anything different. They make sure they take you to places for you to spend more money as well. That too was a joke it's all about the money and you spending it when and where they want you to. After discussing this with the agent who sold us the excursions she pretty much said that there are no refunds. So be cautious as to which excursions you really want to do as they are repetitive.

I myself will never return to this resort it is not up to 4 star quality despite the reno's that are being done I still couldn't imagine them making the changes to that really need to be done to make it worth returning. Save your money or spend the extra and go somewhere else. I know there will be a response from the hotel saying they are sorry but I don't believe it for a second as I stated at the beginning that I was reading all the reviews that came through and nothing had changed from what others had reported so I am going to assume the same from my review.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else is the only tip I can give.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank sandy c
DEAR SANDYC,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments on your opinion of your stay in our hotel Iberostar daiquiri; all comments contribute alert to take action in the aspect that influence the customer. How we can understand the hotel didn’t met your expectations Sporting limited, we are really so sorry about it.

For as are very important all feedback of clients stayed, we considerate each comment for improve our services for that reason we read and answer all comment written on Tripadvisor or other means of review.

We understand your disappoint as a result your experience but we Disprove you comment regarding the general appearance of the hotel just read other guests to know that is not entirely so, all service are ofert in the hotel brochere are includeted, any way thank for the contributing we this review

Regard,
Caledon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We visited in November,I dont expect much in Cuba beside nice beach,but actually the rooms were quite pleasant ,,washrooms renovated,sadly no balconies and tough not Mayan Riviera luxuries ,food was good ,bars were welcoming and service all very nice and helpful.Bugs are present and even spray did not stop them

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jroszkowski
Dear Kieadye

On behalf of all the hotel staff and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for continue choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri hotel for your holidays in Cuba. Is a pleasure for us to know this time was a greet Vacation again. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us. .

Sorry did not receive your gift for repeat customers. Hope in a future reward check. We have taken actions to improve that.

Thanks for the nice comments on the treatment received by our staff; I will inform you’re your comments about it.

We look forward to have you stay again in our hotel.

Best Regard,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We travelled Nov 13-20th. Went with other friends 13 in all. Overall experience was very good. The weather was not so great with rain the first couple of days, but that can't be helped so we were in the lobby talking, drinking, and more drinking lol. The entertainment staff does an amazing job of keeping you busy with activities. When the skies clear its out to the pool. Hear ppl saying the pool is small, but how big does a few need, plenty for us two. The beach, you can walk it, play on it, or just lay on it, swim in the ocean...perfect. Now the food not a big selection this time, but since the hotel is under reno, staff is cut. And the staff that is working always amazing, Rosa, Hector, Carrillo, Evelyn to name a few. The food I did eat was good, I did not starve. Now for the entertainment staff, one of the reasons we come back so often. One day Mario..wink wink, spent the morning in the pool playing with the kids and keeping them busy
so we could relax. Lots of games by the pool, bingo later and dance lessons. Even with few guest the show still goes on at night, and they work very hard to put those shows on. I will not name them all, but love and miss you all :)
Now my complaints, we are returning guests and did not get a bottle of rum ;( and when asked nothing was done. The management really disappointed me, They are the ones that should listen and correct the problems. The people below them do there job,and a top notch job to make us feel comfortable they can too. The room are under reno so I will not comment on them and I generally just sleep and change there. Now would I go back....Yes!! For the dancers, bartenders, waiters, and even the gardeners. They are the ppl that make this hotel one of my best. Management can learn from their staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Ideadye

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager thank you very much for continue choice Iberostar Daiquiri hotel destination place for you holyday, I so happy to read this positive evaluation about your recent experience. It motivates us to continue improving to have provided a excellent services your high evaluation, how you say that can be possible for the grade job made the staff.

We will congratulate all the personal special mention to Rosa, Hector, Carrillo, Evelyn and Mario they have contributed to making you feel like stars.

Regard

Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,881 reviews
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to IBEROSTAR Daiquiri? Share your experiences!