“Very good for families with kids.”
Review of Iberostar Daiquiri

Iberostar Daiquiri
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at this resort for two weeks and we did like it a lot. I will try to organize this review in topics:

1. People – people always come first and the men and women who work there are very good at their jobs. Previously we went to newer hotels in Cuba where the freshly recruited personnel showed that they needed several years to gain experience. But at Daiquiri you could see that they were seasoned employees who didn`t shy away from hard work.

a. Waiters and cooks – all very good. Greetings to Waldemar! Thank you brother, for working for us and preparing our dinners every night, the best shrimp I ever had! Rosa, thank you! Edel – this guy is amazing; it was a pleasure to watch him work.

b. Bar tenders – didn`t get to personally know any of them (not much of an alcohol drinker), but my kids had a load of non-alcoholic cocktails and we never had to wait to get them. No lineups and this was mostly due to the fact that compared to bartenders in the previous resort these lads were not taking breaks, they were serving the customers.

c. Entertainers – ok, these are a whole different category of employees in the resort. They are good, good, GOOD! Some of them should be on major productions. Every evening they put up really nice shows. Some of them also they interacted with the kids and they enjoyed it.
One remark though, I don`t need to see women dancing in thongs in order to appreciate their artistic talent. Also had to explain my child why were they showing their rears. I can see that this might appeal to another class of audience though.

d. Kids club: Thank you Yanara! She organized mini discos for our children even when there weren`t any other kids there (so daddy had to dance too). The chariot ride was fun as well, kids from different resorts get to visit their neighbours’ kids club.

e. Store tellers – there are a bunch of shops at the resort and the people who worked there were very nice too. O day 3 all them knew my son`s name and were greeting him every morning.

f. Raul, thanks brother! Acted as a PR, did a good job in trying to help us have a great time.
g. Room maids - we rarely saw them but they were doing a good job as well.

2. Facilities

a. Architecture – very well thought and pretty buildings, conceived in a way so that every single room is facing the ocean. Of course if there is dense vegetation in front of your balcony you might not get to see it, but that is a different story.

b. Interior – room a bit dated, but clean. TV was CRT, rooms are not very large, but ok. Safe box was weird, as mentioned you get a lock cylinder from the reception and end up with a key that you need to keep with you all the time. I opted for the first grader look and had in on a chain around my neck :-).

To me it was very unusual that the minibar was restocked only once every two days, and not always, nevertheless with the usual daily tip you`d otherwise leave on a daily supplied minibar you can buy and stock on the same things from the small stores available on the grounds.
I was told that the renovation that was undergoing in the other half of the resort was a major overhaul, so I am expecting pleasant surprises there.

c. Restaurants – we actually visited the main buffet only – it is ok. I`ll talk about the food later.

d. Lobby bar is great, lots of comfortable furniture in the lobby area. No remarks there.

e. Pools – when we went the resort was half empty and this was the perfect load for the pools. Mind you, there are only two pools and they are not very big. Small kiddie pool that my little kid absolutely refused to go in (what is the fun when there is no one to chase you and jump in to save you all the time, right) was a definite advantage, but it is simply laid out, no slides or anything. Water seemed adequately chlorinated (very important when you inevitably swallow a drop of water here and then that just washed another tourists intimate regions). We stayed away from the pool with the wet bar. We have heard bad stories from other resorts so I preferred to be on the safe side. One thing though that I found a very good design idea was that the stools at the pool bar were raised above water level.
Ultimately we liked the pool a lot as well and spend a lot of time there. No problems finding long chairs, no jerks leaving towels and not showing up. All was perfect. Mind you though, if there are twice as many tourists though (full resort), pools will be a bit preoccupied in my opinion.

f. Ranchon – basic but good. Once again the staff were the ones who made the experience good. Thank you guys.

g. Kids club – nice, it was working all the time and kids enjoyed it. Did I say, Thanks Yanara :-)!

h. Gardens – very very good ! A lot of very mature vegetation. It really added to that exotic tropical location feeling. Cudos to the gardeners. Having labels with common and taxonomical names of plants was a nice touch!

3. Beach
I would have praised the beach if there weren`t so much seaweed. May be it was due to the winter season, but the water didn`t have that turquoise color that is typical for the region (namely because of the above-mentioned rotting vegetation). A tip to the hotel: The tractor that cleans the algae from the beach needs a larger rake (unless this would increase the chance of accidents). The one attached to it was approximately 150cm wide. So the machine had to do many, many rounds without a great efficiency. Also the beach at the nearby Melia was always cleaned neatly, which argues that a better approach to this problem is possible.
High tide drastically decreases the beach size, but at low tide it is much better, so keep this is mind as well.
On the plus side – long chairs and umbrellas were always available (keep in mind, 50% resort occupancy) no matter what time of the day we’d go. Lots of palm trees so umbrella or not shade is abundant. Just beware falling coconuts (could be a heavy impact).

4. Pillar Beach
Ever since we discovered Pillar beach, we spent most of our time there. It is a very beautiful place and the water is everything you might expect from a tropical beach. Taxi ride is short and the cab drivers were very punctual. So yes, Pillar is the place to go. Very, very beautiful! Well Hemingway knew where to go, right!

5. Food. Yes the buffet was not abundant compared to other Cuban resorts, but the cooking stations more than compensated for that. We never had to wait in line; those stations were readily available to take our orders. Cooks were actually nice and courteous enough to invite us to go back to our table and then serve us the meals once they were cooked. Is that something that I appreciated a 100 times more than an overstuffed buffet – definitely YES! So the food access and service was very very good. We ate freshly cooked food every meal, I can`t complain at all.

6. And this is my special section - Bugs, bites and beyond
Many reviewers complained about the bugs. Take these notes from a medical scientist. This was my experience:
We went prepared, used common sense (and see the outcome at the end of this section)
a. Chigoe flea (jigger or simply sand flea) – lives where there is rotting seaweed, this crustacean (not an insect) can occasionally parasitize under your skin (imagine the crustacean version of a tic). What we did, never stepped in the abundant seaweed piles with bare feet and avoided stepping on them with flip flops as well. On a wet day we kept the towels on the balcony if we didn`t change them at the end of the day. Did not berry our feet deep in the sand. Outcome, no bites, no parasitoses etc. Smooth coexistence between human and crustacean :-).

b. Sand flies (locally called jejenes) – tiny dipterans with a painful bite, sometimes dangerous vector of certain parasites. As long as it was sunny and there was at least a little wind sand fly bites were not a factor at all. You risk being bitten in the evening and early morning. What we did, long linen trousers in the evening alleviate the need of exposing yourselves to toxic chemicals such as DEET

c. Mosquitos I don`t remember seeing any, but the kids were attracting them so keep reading.

d. Stray animals, I noticed many tourists did not use common sense and let their children touch and cuddle outdoor (if not completely homeless) cats at the resorts and dogs at the beaches and then to add health risk to poor personal hygiene they would touch their food without washing hands. A big FAUX PAS! Well in my advise, remember you are in the TROPICS, there is a rich bouquet of parasites in any improperly vaccinated, deparasitised and followed up outdoor animal all over the world, even drastically more so in the tropics.

I actually strongly suspect that many of the people who have digestive system problems after returning from these vacations actually manifest symptoms of parisitoses.

e. Repellents:
I did not use a single drop for 15 days and I had no bites at all.
The first night the kids got a few bites so we helped them out with a repellent. However, no DEET as the chemical has known adverse effects esp on young children. Citronella is a joke (in case you wonder). We used an all natural European product by Chicco an insect repellent for babies (not toxic, no maximum dose). It worked miracles. Not a single bite on any of the kids when we used it.
So if you use common sense and proper hygiene you will seriously decrease thet chances of nasty surprises.

6. Tourists class
I am adding that as in other resorts we have had perfect moments spoiled by some not very cultured visitors
Tourists at the Daiquiri seemed well behaved. We were left with very good impressions from the few people from Argentina and the few Cuban visitors. Compared to the rest of the crowd they stood out with their cultured manners and friendly behavior. We also got acquainted with a couple of families from Ontario, Canada who also seemed like a very friendly bunch of people and our kids made new friends.

The next has nothing to do with the resort but I still feel the need to share it as our vacation experience is always 50% the resort and another 50% that some people forget – our own behavior and this story will illustrate that moral.
With pain I have to say, though, that at Pillar, one day we saw some things we`d rather didn`t. I have no idea which resort these people were from (definitely not ours as they had different color bracelets), but they were a huge family (?), maybe 10 people who behaved as if they were raised by wolves, drank constantly and vocally and loudly announced their intentions to go and urinate in the water every time they felt like it. To make things even uglier they would go with their beers in their hands waist deep, urinate for 10 – 15 sec and then go out leaving no doubt that they really meant what they said. At one point these tourists decided that it would be very original to all go waists deep in the water take off their pants and start shouting so that the entire beach would see them while throwing their swimsuits up in the air. This utterly low class behavior was endorsed by the elderly members (60 years and older!?) of the family who kept on taking photos of their offspring’s “heroic” deeds. To top things up when a large catamaran full of people came to shore, one member of this family boarded the boat despite being many times politely asked by the local Cuban crew on board not to do it and then started yelling something at the people as he was showing them the victory sign with his fingers… yes, a “victory” for rude simpletons indeed. I will be as polite as I can be and will not say where exactly they were from, but please if not else, keep in mind that in an international environment you do not only embarrass yourselves and your kin, but your entire nation as well.
So to finish with a conclusion: We liked our stay. We would definitely return. I hope this review would be helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank Flavius F
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at Iberostar Daiquiri, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

DEAR Flavius F
On behalf all the hotel staff I will like to thanks you for choice Iberostar Daiquiri hotel for you recent holiday in Cuba, is a pleasure for us to reed it was a beautiful experience. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us..
As well thank for the good description of the hotel and the service ofert, we hope to have you come back soon.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Wow once again thank You for a great stay through Christmas !! The staff are the best in the world to us, they are all just great to be around all the time, WE LOVE YOU GUYS !.. The Christmas Eve dinner .. what can I say.. so much sea food, turkey, ham, and goodies to eat, just so good, see my pictures..The resort was only 1/2 booked up so it seemed like we had it all to ourselves due to rebuilding , upgrading all the rooms on one side of resort.. Weather was great, windy at the beaches, so not much bug bites.. sure beats the ICE STORM back at home.. The excursions we took were a lot of fun..Thanks Sunwing Tony Tony for helping and making it fun for our group of 7 ... The Jeep and Speed Boat trip was great, The Dolphins Swim.. Awesome!.. and even the deep sea fishing trip in the high waves, we still caught a Barracuda, and had a good day out.. Moron - had a chance to spend the day with a Good friend that works at the resort..Elva and her family..wonderful time , love to do it again.. The cooks are great !! do anything for you.. Hi Walter!! Great Time !! Happy New Year Guys..
For those who get upset over bug bites, please take some bug spray, We get more bits here back at home in our summer months, than here! Black Flies bits or little ant bits.. I'll take the ant bits any day, if any..... 2nd time here at this resort and will be back again! FELIZ NAVIDAD

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank TedMcDonald51

Dear tedMcDonald51,

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My wife and I traveled to Iberostar Daiquiri the first week of December. Our package was booked with Air Canada and went off without any hitches (Love the fact you can choose your own movies).

Arriving at the hotel around 8:30 p.m, I was not impressed with the check in phase as this took way too long, over 45 minutes for us to check in. I would like to suggest that the hotel does the same as Memories Flamingo Cayo Coco and have everything ready room wise and give the key cards and hotel info on the bus. After a day of traveling people just want to get to there room unpack, change and start the vacation with a nice drink to unwind and start relaxing.

Our room was clean, everything was working and the beds comfortable. The location of our room was in the Trinidad building 3rd floor a great location close to everything. The resort isn't very big with everything just a short hop skip and jump away. There are 2 pools for adults and 1 baby pool. All the pools were clean and well kept. In fact the whole hotel was well kept and clean. The lobby area has many places to just lounge around and either you could be with the crowd or by yourself. The house band was very good and they had a few different guests come in through the week which was a nice touch. There are 2 tennis courts and a decent gym and massage area.

The food was ok, we could always find something to eat although the selection was minimal and repetitive. The service in the restaurant and the bars was always top notch as the staff is very attentive and friendly.

The beach is beautiful and you can walk for miles. Early in the morning the beach is narrow but by 11:30 the tide changes the beach completely which allows you to easily walk around and enjoy to splendour of one of Cuba's beautiful beaches. There always seemed to be beach chairs available and I didn't notice people having to get up at 6 am to reserve one either. This could be because the resort was half full but I did notice a few stacks of beach chairs in the back.

This was our first trip to Cuba in December and the temperature was quite a bit cooler and very enjoyable, our trip in September was blistering hot. We had 2 hours of rain in the whole week and it took place all in the same day, so weather wise couldn't get much better.

My wife didn't have any problems with the bugs but I did return with at least 40 of them, especially painful in the ankle area. We did bring bug spray but it didn't seem to work. This is my only warning to anyone going to this resort.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Daiquiri and got an excellent deal at $634.00 each tax in. For the price we paid there was nothing to complain about just a suggestion for front desk.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sunseeker058

Dear Sunseaker058

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri for your holiday in Cayo Guillermo Cuba, my pleasure to know that it was a Overall a great holidays, also many thank for take this time to write this positive reviews it will contribute for all person looking for information about the resort.
We hope to see you one again soon!
Best regard,
The Hotel manag

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Do not go to cayo coco bugs will eat you alive no matter what u do and I'm not talking little bites I'm talking welts . Go to veradoro 100% better . Trust me you don't want to be on an island surrounded by stagnant water you will waste ur $$$$ and it will ruin your experience in cuba . We loved veradoro last year but after this trip in not sure we will ever return to cuba :( Witch is sad because the staff is excellent one member stands above the rest Dennis he works the bar during the day wine master by nite and then works the nite club to top it all off . Guy was awesome and out going to make our stay the best it could be . Thank Dennis

• Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank 5ofusgotchewed

Dear Sofusgotchewed,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments with your opinion about your experienced in our hotel Iberostar daiquiri; all comments contribute alert to take action in the aspect that influence the customer

we are relly apologice for the unconfortably experience during your recent stayed, how we can understand the more relevant were the bites of sandflies. This bugs you mention are common in this area and like in the rest of all this tropical islands. A kind of this little shadflies people here called "jejen" it´s en very uncomfortable. Reasons are always recommends using repellent on skin before going to the sand on the beach.

The effects of bite –jejen- usually do not prolong there effect, but when the people feel the itch and scratch causing this infection prolonging the healing time.

These bugs are usually germinated by seasons, so there is not always, but we recommend using appropriate repellent for these insects.

Hope to see you in better situation.

Regard,

The Hotel manager.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We (my teenage daughters, my Mom and I) were just at the Iberostar Daiquiri for a week Dec 8th to 15th. We stayed in Room #'s 4236 & 4242 on the 2nd floor in the "Varadero" units, which were ideally situated on the property, right behind the main hotel, and although they were somewhat dated, the beds were comfortable and they were clean and close to the beach and pool. The resort was not jam packed during our stay and you didn't have to walk miles to get from one place to another. We found the staff to be the most friendly, outgoing bunch and want to give say thank you to the people we had the opportunity to meet and get to know incl; servers and cooks as well as Mario, Didi, Arry, Kaylie, Kardos, Omar and Danny (from the Entertainment Crew - you all do such an excellent job and have such spectacular personalities your attentiveness and sense of humor made our week and by bragging about you to others, want you to know just how much we appreciated meeting you all!) Seidel and Aldennis were also very helpful, wonderful and friendly. You all contributed to us having a fun filled & memorable week and truly made us us feel welcome and comfortable. Hats off to you all for doing such a great job and we look forward to seeing you all again. The resort was clean and comfortable and the food was good (yes, I said good!) ;) All in all we couldn't have asked for a better week as the weather, rooms, food and staff were all exceptional. We have been to Cayo Coco previously and were reluctant to return; however, friends recommended the Daiquiri and we are glad we went. The staff named here definitely make this resort stand out and we will definitely return. Don't forget your wash cloths, bug spray in case the pesky no seem um's are out (they were not bad during our stay, except for the last day of our trip when there was no wind & they tended to be most bothersome by the volleyball net and that evening in the lobby. One thing we would like to recommend is that we did notice that there were no staff eating in the buffet restaurant during the times that we were there and we feel it would be meaningful to have had the opportunity to sit down with them to enjoy meals here, as we had been able to at La Marina Restaurant - our frequent lunch spot and we thoroughly enjoyed this interaction. For 5 pesos per person, we chose to take a cab to Pilar Beach where we rented lounge chairs for 2 pesos each. It was beautiful and we would recommend going there. We also went horseback riding (Donny was great) and to the spent some time at the next resort down (the Meila) where we all had spa treatments (incl. mud wraps and massages). The massages were done individually in a hut so although you have privacy your surroundings might be more outdoorsy, airy than you are accustomed to). Keeping in mind that you are in the Caribbean, it was a neat experience. I enjoyed it, however, some people may not. After being covered in mud, we walked around (waiting for the mud to dry before we showed off at the outdoor shower by the pool) and this was definitely an experience. We attended each show that was put on at the Daiquiri by the entertainment crew and dancers, and thoroughly enjoyed them all. This team sure puts on some great shows in comparison to some of the other resorts we have stayed at.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Carrie and Gord D

Dear carrie And Gord D,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri hotel for your recent holidays in Cuba. Is a pleasure to read you had enjoyed a greet vacation with good quality of all services, as well thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community your experience. Thank you for your high evaluation and considered this hotel appropriate for a relaxing vacation, great staff service and magnificent beaches.

Best regard

The Hotel Manager

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Never happened to me in all times i have been to Cuba. You can't see the insects only the marks on your skin after !
I have pictures that i want to post but don't know how yet.
The hotel is ok, clean, people are nice, but i'm very nice to them too(tips, gifts, etc) the food is not good, i don't know what others are eating at home so that can say it's "very good". The food was good one night only on their 15 years anniversary of the hotel ! After 11 pm they are supposed to have at the buffet some food, i had to ask the cook to bring me some cheese from the kitchen so i can have a sandwich because one day only i had a hamburger and i vomited all night !
The meat on the cooking plate is cut in small strips so you can't see the whole thing only if u argue with them which i did every day& talked to the chef Jose every single day. He tried to accommodate me as much as he could but i didn't come on vacation to do that. Maybe that week(the first of december) was worst than usual.....I had a leak from AC in my room, had to wait 1 1/2 h to be be fixed, my shower had was rusty all over, had to be changed, another waiting period....
But the worst was the bites, my husband was covered in them, itchy all week, took Benadryl, lotions etc but my vacation was ruined because of that, couldn't go to beach or the pool much because of fear of bites, couldn't sleep either because of the itching, i was so tired&frustrated getting home but happy to leave !! I think that the hotel should do something more for that or worn us that is a bad period for the insects and also the company Air Canada should be responsible in some way& believe me the tickets were more expensive than other companies. So good luck to everyone going there maybe you don't experience any of this. And by the way they give you a bottle of water every other day& if you want more you have to pay for it as you have to pay for your safe which other "4*" hotels give you free. The maid like everywhere i was before did a good job but i always compensate them for that. The shows were good&music band in the lobby bar too but i wish i could have enjoyed all of that without the bites.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Almabest
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at Iberostar Daiquiri, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Almabest,

After read you review publicized, we will like firt to say, we are relly apologice for the unconfortably experience during your recent stayed, how we can understand the more relevant were the bites of sandflies. This bugs you mention are common in this area. A kind of this little shadflies people here called "jejen" it´s en very uncomfortable. Reasons are always recommends using repellent on skin before going to the sand on the beach.

Hope to see you in better situation.

Regard,

The Hotel manager.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Territory of the hotel is very beautiful. Large lobby is comfortable both for waiting for your bus to arrive and to have some coffee or a cocktail. There are several gift shops, sigar shop and many small open-air souvenir stores. Activities for both adults and children are run all day, there are also several billiard tables free of charge. Night show are held inside special building, so no noise is heard in the rooms.

Food is wondeful (you could hardly find the same among many hotels in Cuba)! It is served in main restaurant and in beach cafeteria all day long. Bar has good choice of rum and international drinks.

Rooms are spacious but rather time-worn. You could find some scratches or shabby items, though they don't influence functionality. Buidings don't have elevators, so you definitely need help with the luggage. First floor rooms have nice entrance to the lawn.

The beach is very picturesque, though it is rather small. Sand is amasingly white and soft, and ocean is impressively emerald. This zone is rather windy so many kite surfers come here.

Room Tip: Better ask for rooms in separate buildings, not in the main building. First floor rooms has no balco...