“Five Star Holiday - TOTAL VALUE FOR MONEY”
Review of IBEROSTAR Daiquiri

IBEROSTAR Daiquiri
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful two weeks in this charming place. Don't listen to the moaners who are complaining on this site, not sure what they expect! I have never posted a review on Trip Advisor before but feel obliged to tell you about this lovely resort, which is large enough to feel like a resort but small enough to be able to access anything within a couple of minutes.

ACCOMMODATION: the accommodation is perfectly adequate, just not luxury - you still get satellite tv, balcony and everything is really clean.

BEACH: The beach is perfect -white sand and turquoise sea which is great for snorkelling just off the jetty (for even better snorkelling you can visit the small Phillips Island which is visible from the beach - great fish just in front of the island and a coral reef just behind the island - just speak with the guys who run the pedalo/kayak/catamaran shack on the beach as this is a fraction of the price of a scheduled excursion. You can also take fishing trips on the catamarans but you must speak with them to arrange availability and cost (ask for Thomas who is really helpful, a really nice guy who took my partner out for a more personal fishing trip a couple of times)

POOL: A pool with a swim-up bar that is large enough and deep enough to have a swim around (but don't expect to be able to do workout lengths!), a kiddie's pool next to it and another pool with a water polo net on the other side.

FOOD: The food at the a la cartes are admittedly average but the service is top notch so we enjoyed the experience. The buffet is excellent and provided an array of choice for our group and satisfied our 14 year old's appetite - it is also more of a restaurant environment, with excellent waiter drinks service (special mention to Jose but all staff are fantastic). There is always somewhere to eat 24/7 - breakfast at buffet Guillermo til 1000hrs followed breakfast at the beach bar from 1000 to 1200hrs. Then lunch at buffet Guillermo from 1300 to 1500hrs and dinner again in the buffet from 1830 to 2100hrs (maybe later, cant remember!!). Outside of these times you can get burgers, hot dogs and salads at the pool bar and from 2300hrs through the night you can have snacks in the buffet. You can get drinks at all of these places, plus the lobby bar which is a nice place to spend the evening.

ENTERTAINMENT: The Star Friends team are the most talented group of entertainers I have ever come across on a package holiday and they totally ensured my teenage son had a great time. They are all professionally trained and truly enjoy what they are doing. How do they remember everyone's names?!!! There is an eclectic mix of pool and beach games throughout the day in which you are encouraged (but not bullied) into participating. There are 2 pool tables and table tennis under shelter which is an ideal place to take a break from the sun. There is also football (soccer) from 1700 to 1800hrs (Didi we hope you are practising because Connor is returning next year and will bring you another football!). Aqua aerobics in the pool and the sea and an array of sedate games, some of which you can even play from the comfort of your sunbed! There is a gym which is a little tired and sparse but if you are desperate to workout you can make use of it. The spa is by the gym but we did not use this. Bicycles are free for the first hour and a small charge after this - the dolphinarium, speedboat marina and Hemingway bridge are a few minutes cycle down the road and you can pay a small charge to view the dolphins if you don't want to do the official excursion. Evening Entertainment is fantastic and caters for all ages - the dance shows are top class and the fun shows are hilarious.

BUG BITES - yes, we had a few but if you stay out late at night or walk on the beach after dark then what else would you expect?! The hotel take the necessary precautionary measures to minimise bugs such as regular fumigation.

GARDENERS - these guys keep the grounds neat and tidy and also cleverly handcraft little gifts of birds and hats from the palm leaves that they clean up.

CLEANERS - lovely, friendly and always do a good job.

SHOPS - there are a few small shops here selling mementos and some stalls that sell handcrafted wooden items such as ornaments, baseball bats etc at very reasonable prices. There is also a cigar and rum shop and you can also buy small snacks such as crisps and biscuits..

MEDICAL - there is an onsite 24hrs doctor and a pharmacy

SUMMARY: We are definitely returning to this resort next year. Any minor negatives that other people may comment on are far outweighed by the many positives of the beautiful people that work so hard to make your holiday special. Thank you to all the staff at the Iberostar Daiquiri for giving us a holiday to remember x

Room Tip: We stayed in the Granma block which was totally adequate but we checked out the Baracoa block which...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Stephanie B
DirectorDaiquiri, Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing with us your experience at the Iberostar Daiquiri here in trip advisor.

We are very happy to know you had such a wonderful time and enjoy our service and hotel in general, specially, our beach, lobby bar and entertainment staff. Be aware that Didi is already training waiting for your son.

We appreciate a lot the detail comment, for sure will help future guest that wonder some tips for their trip.

Really hope you will comeback next year with your family, we will be waiting for you.

There are newer reviews for IBEROSTAR Daiquiri

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We have stayed at the Dacquiri four times.
We have always loved it here and have recommended it fo many.

This year we were so disappointed we felt we had to share.

This resort is compact, easy to get around and very friendly. The staff are the best.
Maidy, Wolter and Confessor in the buffet are exceptional. The Lobby and Beach Bar Staff are above all.
Star Friends Nadine and Deedee will be at your beckon call.
Wonderful atmosphere at night in the lobby.
Beach is the most gorgeous, amazing place to be.
I must say we found the food not as good as other years, but you won't go hungry at all. They do try hard to please your every need.

Renos are cosmetic at best. Superior rooms not worth the extra money. Air conditioning did not work.
Beach/pool washrooms had NO toilet, paper towel, soap or running water and most of those toilets did not flush.
We addressed the issue with management, but it did not change. Hygienically this is just unacceptable.

Overall this resort is now at best a 3*.
Sad to say we will not be returning to this resort.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are best, but we stayed over the lobby and were not disturbed at all. Room quality...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FrenchyQueen
DirectorDaiquiri, Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment at trip advisor.

We are very sad to hear you won’t come back to our hotel but most of all that we didn’t fulfill your expectations.

We are sorry you didn’t like at all the renovated room, and the situation you encore on the public bathrooms, we can assure you is one of the biggest concerns and important aspect for our management team, we work each day to make sure everything is in order and we will keep doing it to improve on it.

Thank you for the nice comments regarding our staff, we really appreciate.

We really hope you change your mind and give us a chance to show you our high standards of service.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Everything here was outstanding from the buffets to the restaurants to the exceptional beach. The staff were friendly and accommodating...they treat your kids like family. I wholeheartedly recommend it and I would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Choose an upper room with an ocean view if available
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank JeffGingerich

Dear guest,

We are very honor to know you have such a great time and enjoy so much everything in general in our hotel.

This is a family hotel and kids are priority to us, so we are happy to know we show it to you.

Please be back very soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Where do I start.
Quick pleasant check in.
I had a clean unrenovated room, I suggest the upgrade with your tour operator when booking .
This wasn't my first visit and not my last.
Like many of the repeat the hospitality amazes me. There are new faces. There was a new show which I also enjoyed.
The grounds are beautiful and well kept.
The beach is perfect for me , clear , clean and always a spot.
The food can be repetitive but there is so much choice. I love the breakfast selection. This is a perfect beach for little ones as well. Excursions Pilar is a must . Also visit the city of Moron.
There are too many to mention all the wonderful staff. :) Thank you for making my vacation a great one.

Feel free to pm if you have any questions .
Lolita

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Lolita R

Dear guest,

We really appreciate you took the time to comment our hotel at Trip Advisor.

Make us very happy that once again you had a great vacation and enjoy so much our breakfast buffet and our beach.

Thank you for your comment regarding our staff, we know they are the soul of this hotel.

We hope to see you very soon; you are part of the Iberostar Daiquiri family.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have visited this hotel every year for the last ten years!! Because of the dedicated employees it has become one of our favourites. Although many of the staff has changed some of the original ones are still there..they enjoy their job and it shows.
It's always nice arriving being welcomed by the reception staff..they are a special bunch ...then the Lobby Bar staff especially Ari..Yosvany..Daibel..Alifrey you guys are top notch!!!
Ceidel the bellboy always is there to greet us with a smile and make sure we have everything we need for a great vacation. If you do go make sure to take some time to speak with him ..he is very knowledgable and will answer many questions that you may have.
Junior is the public relations manager and is a great asset to this hotel..he always makes sure the guests are well looked after and will help with arrangements when planning special dinners..flowers..reservations ect. Thank you for always looking after us..we are forever grateful!!
The food was good and we always like the Mexican because we receive such great service from Liovanis...he makes the best special coffee!!
The beach..is stunning. Very shallow warm clear waters...and the sand is soft and like powder!
The rooms are basic but clean and the upgraded rooms are well worth the 40.00 extra...but make sure to upgrade when you book or they charge 30 Cuc per day at the hotel!!
This is not a 5 star hotel...but go with an open mind..treat the staff with respect...and you will have an unforgettable vacation.
The one thing management needs to consider is keeping the Lobby Bar open 24 hrs...like it used to be a few years ago!!
Will we return..most definitely!!! A special thank you to all the staff over the years that has made our vacations special in some way...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Michele D

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for write a comment in Trip Advisor and share your experience at our hotel.

We are very glad to receive such a positive feedback about our staff, as we know they put all their energies every day in order to offer an unforgettable service to our guests.

Thank you for your tips for our future guest, we are finishing this year the rest of the planned renovations, so be sure your will have more special vacations in the future.

We will pass your comments to all staff u have named, we aer sure they will appreciate.

Hope to see you every year for another 10 years.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I visited this resort April 9-16, and here is a review of what we thought. It was my 7th trip to Cuba and hubby's second. There is nothing wrong with this place, just a little tired and a few things should be looked at. I gave up carrying my convertor on my trips to Cuba a long time ago, because I never needed them, ...well you need them here...still has the old 220 wiring. We stayed in a standard room in the Santiago de Cuba Bldg., second floor. The room was just okay, how much time do you stay in your room anyway?? It was always kept clean by housekeeping.They did a great job, must say.Never got to meet them because they were always gone when we got back to our roomThe air conditioner in our room just barely worked , enough to keep you from totally sweating at night..The pool here is quite small and you have to reserve a spot very early...never played that game, the beach was better place to be anyway.Beautiful beach, but was very disappointed there was no beach bar there...just a place to eat where you could get drinks, but only between certain hours while they were opened.Another thing, There is no pizzaria to go to for lunch.Didn't care for the beach restaurant for lunch, so mostly went to the buffet. Food here was a little better, they work the best with what they have.We did all three a la cartes,and liked the cuban one the best.We also did the excursion into Moron city, which is called Moron plus...I highly recommend this, as we very much enjoyed ,every bit of it, thanks to Jose our tour guide...check it out, you won't be disappointed.We also took a taxi down to Playa Pilar for 5 cuc each, they will come back for you whenever you tell them too. In my opinion, this is the nicest beach I have ever been to, this was second time here, and I love it sooo much! The staff here were all great from the front desk to our rep and all the bar and wait staff...thanks for being so nice and helpful..The cuban people is what I keep coming back for!!

Room Tip: maybe rooms in the superior section would be nicer.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lovescubaNovaScotia

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time of visiting our webpage and leave your comments there.

It is always important to know the opinion of our clients because through their comments and suggestions we continually improve our services. We are actually working on the hotel renovations to offer a better service so our clients could feel even more comfortable once they visit us.
Thank you for having such a good opinion about our staff, we will pass your comments to all of them.

Hoping to see you again.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My family and I had planned this trip in a years advance to celebrate the wedding of my Auntie and Uncle in Cayo Coco and I was beyond excited to visit what seemed like heaven.

Upon arrival, we were surprised by a private check in by pleasant staff members and traditional cuban dancers which began our holiday off on a high. Even though there was some confusion about rooms to begin, this was quickly sorted out and we were shown to where we would be staying for the next two weeks by a pleasant member of staff.

We stayed in the building 'Granma' which had reasonably nice rooms with basic facilites that had an authentic cuban touch. We also had a view of the glowing, white, sandy beach which left us speechless.

From the first night onwards we watched every night time show (that varied from broadway, cuban night, mr/mrs iberostar) which were stunning and this was simply down to how fabulous the entertainment staff were, I have to make a special thanks to some members of the 'Star Friends' Yari, Koki, Mary, Yadi, Didiy, Omar, Mario and Carlos for making us feel like part of their family. It wouldn't have been the same without them.

We ate most of the time in Buffet Guillermo which was constantly thriving with helpful waiters/waitresses especially Bernardo and Luis who took extra care of all 33 members of my family. Also I must mention Walter the steak chef who couldn't have treated us any better.

Due to the encouragement of the Star Friends we were constantly involved in fun holiday activites such as water polo, beach volleyball, archery etc which all individually were special and kept everyones spirits high.

Finally I have to mention the wedding which was more than anyone couldve asked for. Seeing the Bride and Groom marry on the beach couldn't have been more perfect and it couldn't have been possible without the endless help yet again down to the staff.

We have made some beautiful memories in the Iberostar Daiquiri and made some friends for life. I couldn't have asked for a better time. I enjoyed every second of the two weeks I spent there. I hope to return here and I would recommend this Hotel in particular to anyone who needed a relaxing get away. It was absolute perfection.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank blumser98

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind comments.

We are more than happy you had a great vacation and a perfect weeding in our hotel.
The members of our team tries to dedicate every minute of their time to look after our guests needs, they are a huge part of our success, we will pass your comment to all you mention on your comment, we are sure they will appreciate.

We are so grateful for you to choose us among so many other places.

We are very happy to know we fulfilled your expectations and we sincerely wish you to come back here again in the near future.

See you soon.

Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to IBEROSTAR Daiquiri? Share your experiences!