“fantastic 60th birthday”

Sol Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Hi,
I recently went to this hotel for my 60th birthday, I was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews, that this was a lovely destination. Cannot find a great deal wrong with this hotel, we had a lovely bungalow type room over looking the most beautiful sea. Maybe the food could have been a little hotter, but that really didnot spoil it for me. The manager of this hotel was on the ball, always there if you needed him. All the staff where excellent. Really enjoyed it would go back tomorrow. The thomas cook rep was very informative and we went on a couple of excursions, which were brilliant.
Could recommend this hotel to anybody.
Lyndsay Brown

Room Tip: All the rooms are very good, but the rooms from 1100 onwards are the quietiest
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stuart640
Manuel V, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Dear stuart640. Thank you for celebrate with us your 60th birthday and your congratulations. We hope we will see you again very soon. Best regards. Manuel Vazquez

Write a ReviewReviews (4,069)

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed at Sol Cayo Guillermo from March 17-24/12. This was our first time at the hotel and we had a wonderful vacation. We liked how small the resort was - very easy to find your way around, with access to the beach from any spot. We walked down the beach to the other hotels one day and firmly believe that Sol Cayo Guillermo has the best beach of the four.

All of the staff were wonderful - we especially enjoyed talking to one of the gardeners every day. I don't know his name but he has tattoos of his children on his forearms. There wasn't a single person who didn't try to help if they could, or even just chat a bit to make you feel like you were a friend, not just a customer. We had the opportunity to speak with Manuel, the manager, several times. He is a lovely man, always wanting to make sure you are pleased with the service.

We aren't picky about food and always found enough to eat at the buffet. I think I ate huevos rancheros & sausage every morning for breakfast because it was so good! I wish we had that sausage here in Canada! My husband said the buffet had the best coffee he'd ever tried. We ate at Don Guillermo - the a la carte restaurant - one night. It was just okay - we actually preferred the food at the buffet more. We didn't get a chance to eat at the other a la carte as it was booked up each night. We also had pizza at the ranchon (excellent Hawaiian) and burgers more than once at the snack bar. I only wish the snack bar was open during dinner hours as sometimes that's all I wanted.

We went horseback riding on our last day there and wished we had gone sooner. When we visit next time we'll ride every day. The ride was very relaxing and the guide was excellent. On other vacations we've gone riding and the guides make you push the horses hard - to squeeze in more rides in a day I guess. But here they let us go at our own pace - nice, as I'm always a little nervous at first.

We watched a few of the evening shows. The magic show was fun - mostly because of the two amazing dancers featured in between magic acts. Those two were just fantastically talented. And seeing the animacion girls with the kids each night was sweet. We couldn't stop saying, "Ciao, Ciao, Mickey Mouse" to each other after that.

The only negative during our week had nothing to do with the resort itself. One day we got into a heated argument with another guest who thought it was her right to hold one of the cabanas all day while she laid in the sun at the pool edge with her friends. She wanted it "in case she wanted to sit in the shade". Not a huge deal but it made it unpleasant for the rest of the day.

We tend to stay at a different resort every time we go on vacation, just for the variety, but Sol Cayo Guillermo is one place that has us wanting to go back. I'm hoping we can stay there again next year, and perhaps convince our family and friends to make it an annual event.

Barb & Tom Steadman
Newmarket, Ontario

Room Tip: Get a second floor room if you can - the vaulted ceiling is amazing! Next time we're going to s...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank chloepants

Dear chloepants. It was a pleasure to chat with you during your stay with us. Thank you for your positive review, please, let us know when you are coming back. Take care. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 28 April 2012

We have been going to this particular property since it's opening 16years ago. On our previous trip in 2009 it was in desparate need of upgrades. The rooms have been refreshed now with new beds, they are very clean. The pool has been changed from a liner to tiles, much nicer and easier to keep clean of everones lotions. The food in the main buffet has improved greatly. There is no 5star cuisine, however a good selection and variety. Main bar is back in the swing with some choice liquors and of course wonderful bar service. Everyone from the gardener that offers either coconuts for eating or drinking ......made fresh as per your order....to the front desk staff, treats you with the greatest and most genuine concern. This hotel is now becoming a draw for kite boarders. It's wonderful to watch 15 kites all day. The beach is cleaned daily of the straw-like ocean debris. Lots of chairs to pick from, even when the hotel was at maximum capacity. I will say the new premium seats around the pool are the most comfortable I've had the pleasure of basking on. The hotel has added a chirros stand, all made fresh daily. It's hard to pass them up. Wonderful location, great staff and very clean.

Room Tip: Good location are the 700 and 500 series rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank 59canadian

Dear 59canadian. Thank you for your visit once again. We appreciate how you see the improvements the hotel had during last years. We are sure we will see you back very soon. Best regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 26 April 2012

After reading the last review, it made us, my daughter and myself, alittle more comfortable to know that we were not the only ones that "Manuel" never spoke to when we spent our holidays there January 9 - l1 2012.
It was our first time to Cuba, a third world country, and some things were different making us abit skeptic regarding afew issues. This Manager that everyone else talks about either has changed awhole lot, or didn't like a mother and daughter on their own.....He never introduced himself, could he have been the "rude" good looking man behind the counter that yelled at me when I couldn't get our room, and or safe keys to work......?? Also could it have been the same man that was too busy to give us cards for the internet?

This has bothered us since we got back, and read the reviews that have been written regarding him, as we felt like second class citizens where he was concerned.....When Lupe answered our reviews that my daughter and I wrote, she said we were a nice family.....What we would like to know is "what did Manuel have against us"??? No he wasen't on holidays that week, as read other reviews that others wrote.....This to say the least was hurtful, not to mention spiteful regarding us as human beings......

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lovingcuba309
Manuel V, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Dear lovingcuba309. Thank you for your visit and your recomendation about the hotel. We are always open to meet all our guest, I hope we can meet us in the future. Best regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Our family of 5 included my husband, son, daughter-in-law, and grandson; and we spent the last week of March here. We were satisfied with the resort for the price we paid, but would most likely not recommend it to others. Yes, the beach was gorgeous. Yes, the pool area was beautiful. Yes - it was a great atmosphere for our family. No - our rooms (obviously not renovated) were quite tired (although clean); the food was typically Cuban (which we expected), although disappointed that there was no real juice or much fresh fruit; the mixed drinks left a lot to be desired.

We had read so many reviews about the wonderful, available manager. We NEVER saw him! And we definitely looked! Was he on vacation that week? :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank DownSouthTraveller
Manuel V, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear DownSouthTraveller. Thank you for your visit in March. I am sorry we could not meet your full expectations and I did not meet you, for sure next time. We are always open to meet our guest. Best regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 25 April 2012

hello again,
sorry for being repetative, but stayed at sol guillermo 27/02/12 for two weeks and it was the best so far. Manuel Vazquez, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo is a man with great ideas and his efficancy has been passed on to his staff, he introduced himself to us on the first day, and during the two weeks you would bump into him somewhere arround the hotel, very hands on. the food was very good, with a wide variety that should cater for most people.i honestly could not single out 1 member of staff as they were all brilliant from bar staff to maids.

Don Guillermo Restaurant was as good as ever, if not better, the staff are two great guys, always happy and smiling.

just like to say thankyou for a wonderful fortnight at your great hotel.Please ask Duni if i can have the same two rooms next year, as we will be back in Feb 2013.

I would like to say how nice it was to meet previous guest's that we have met over the passed 10 years, and catch up on the chat

Room Tip: If I told you all, then I might not get the room I like, sorry
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank jules g

Dear jules g. It was a pleasure to meet you and your family. Thank you for the compliments to our staff, we will keep working hard. Kind regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I have just returned from our 3rd visit to Sol Cayo Guillermo and today I booked our 2013 holiday. Of all the hotels that we have stayed in it is by far our favourite. The accomodation you could call "rustic" but it is clean and very comfortable. The Cubanita Beach bar is the place to be when you can tear yourself away from the beautiful beach at the edge of the turquoise ocean or for some hilarious conversation with other guests and of course the insane bar staff. Apart from Cuba being a stunning country, the staff are what makes this hotel really special. Nothing is too much trouble and the fact that you are remembered when you return one year and thousands of guests later is a testament to how amazing they are - so much so we are pleased to call a select few our friends. I suppose this is a good opportinity to send our love and thanks to, amongst others, Yaimi from Reservations, Lupe in Customer Relations, Lazaro who brought me a fresh flower from the garden every day, from the bars and restaurants our 2 x Carlos's, 2 x Yamillas, Nelson, Joni, William, Anita, Mibiala, Adrianez, Yamilet and Hermes, not to mention Leo and Orcelio who sorted our 3am munchies out at the 24 hr snack bar. SEE YOU ALL IN 2013!!!! :-) xx

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank nixpayne

Dear nixpayne. Thank you for coming for third time and booking already for 2013, it will be very nice to meet you again. Special thank you for your nice words to: "Yaimi from Reservations, Lupe in Customer Relations, Lazaro who brought me a fresh flower from the garden every day, from the bars and restaurants our 2 x Carlos's, 2 x Yamillas, Nelson, Joni, William, Anita, Mibiala, Adrianez, Yamilet and Hermes, not to mention Leo and Orcelio". See you in 2013. Manuel Vazquez

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Guillermo
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!